• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bomb-Sliding! New Technique!!! Video Up! (UPDATE! 4/14/08)

MrPhox

Tamed Beast
NNID
Mr.Phox
3DS FC
0318-7803-7610
Alright, so **** all those dirty ninjas who are gonna call link low tier trash. With all these tricky little possibilities I think he's going to have some potential. I hope this thread gets lots of views because I think this is important.

Flamers flame.

Ok now.

Bomb-Sliding:
If you are familiar with the mortar-slide with snake, and the dash attack-cancelled upsmash slide you can get with link, then you will be able to perform this move alright. The first part is similar to Psycho-******'s grenade fake. IMO it's a lame grenade fake, if you want to see how to do a different kind of fake check out my thread on snake's page:

Grenade Stripping
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=157592

OK, advertising aside this is how you perform Bomb-Sliding with Link.

First set your controller up so that your C-stick is attack or smash.
Second, change Z to attack. (I make X grab)
Now you should be ready to go and do this easier. (PS. This is the same control scheme i use to do easy mortar-slides with snake, without that rolling into enemies/shields nonsense)

Begin a dash forward.
press down on the c-stick
press UP on the control stick and press Z (attack)

If you time the c-stick just before the UP and Z you'll throw the bomb forward while sliding.
Link will also do a little upthrow animation.

If you want to throw the bomb upward while sliding

Begin a dash forward.
Press down on the c-stick, press up on the control stick and press Z all nearly simultaneously.

The forward throw is a more fluent slide. This is good for getting to edges in time and throwing a bomb out at your opponent. Also you can rush them and bounce a bomb off of their shield which will be easily caught. You can also attack them right after the bomb, it is just like a jump cancelled bomb. No dash-throw lag. So if they dodge you can be ready for them when they come back. If you dash too close you will blow yourself up. If they take the hit and you're in range to slash, usually you'll get hurt too. At the perfect distance you can get a forward smash off safely, even if it hits them.

The upward throw I find to be much more useful. At least as of right now. We'll see as the metagame evolves. When you successfully do an Upward bomb-slide you'll see that after Link throws the bomb he picks up his momentum and gets a slide. In this slide you are free to attack. This is great to approach your opponent with a (god help me) "wavedash"-like movement. Not only do you get to approach your opponent at a good speed while doing your favorite attack, but you also have a bomb in the air right behind you for a handy retreat. Combos including this could include jumping and catching it with an attack while retreating. Rolling backwards and using your hero's bow or galeforce boomerang to hold them off combined with the pressure of the falling bomb is nice.

You can shield, you can dodge, you can use your specials and normal attacks out of it.
Best bet is to keep them guessing. Sometimes dodge after using it. Other times, instead of throwing it up all the time, do the forward bomb-slide. This will keep them in check. If you get predictable they might rush you with an attack, so throwing it forward sometimes and mixing it up will make you less predictable.

Retreating with the upward bomb-slide is nice too. Not many characters pick up that kind of speed. Plus you have a bomb in the air between you and your opponent. So you can sexkick or Fair into them while catching the bomb. Or let it fall and plan another strategy. I can see Link (don't kill me, you know EVERYBODY wants to include this word with a strategy) bomb DANCING lol all over the place. Sliding in and out of your opponent. To and away. Back and forth across the stage. That is what I think Link will evolve to.

Another idea is for enemies in the air trying to land back on the ground. You can slide all over the place tossing bombs up at your enemies to influence them. Then clean them up with your sliding upsmash when they make it past your bombs. That is some good horizontal coverage in my opinion.

My tips: When trying the technique treat it like the mortar-slide. It is really hard to describe the difference between preforming an upward and forward bomb-slide. Try it out, you'll eventually feel the slight different in time.

So now link has several approaching options:
Zair (aerial clawshot)
Bomb-sliding
What some people call kara-cancelling. You know the cancelled dash attack to upsmash slide.
Not too bad for a character traditionally considered to just turtle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuHCxBs4cPo

Hope you enjoy the new tech!
PEACE!

UPDATE:

you can slide away as you throw bombs backwards! This is a swift and great spacing addition to the bomb-sliding technique.

The most important thing to note about the reverse bomb-slide is that the control stick must move faster, that and you are doing a half roll. You are starting by pressing forward in the direction of the dash, then up in the direction of your smash attack, and backwards in the direction that you are throwing the bomb.

this all needs to happen while you press c down and z almost simultaneously. I say almost because it happens so fast, and there is some degree of a window in your dash animation as well. Timing the movement of the c-stick being registered and the button press of the z button is hard to tell if it is exact. All i know is you CANNOT hit the z button first, then you'll just do a normal dash bomb throw.

so forward on control stick
up on control stick + c-stick Down + Z
backwards on control stick

remember to roll the stick as if this was street fighter or something.
when facing right
i find the best results by planting the control stick into up-right diagnol. then rolling rolling it back to up-left diagnol.

You're simultaneously pressing Z and C-down.

it's a bit tough, but once you get used to it, it'll be a nice escape. The slide is still significant so I think you will all find this useful.

4/14/08

a couple of things i would like to add.

1.) SMOOTHER FORWARD BOMBSLIDE: when doing the forward bombslide, if you can quickly roll the control stick back to forward you can eliminate the false upthrow animation that goes on. I think this will reduce lag, but it is a minor addition at best.

i was just PMed about a different way to do a forward bombslide, but i haven't gotten it to work though, if I do i will post with credit to the individual who helped out.

2.) BOMBSLIDE TO PIVOT: i noticed when doing the reverse bombslide that it is extremely easy to pull off a full pivot slide into your forward tilt. goes about half of final destination in total.

when you do the reverse bombslide your momentum is moving in the opposite direction that link is facing. so if you just simply press in the direction of his momentum again and press A at the correct time, you can pull off a nice pivote slide to keep the momentum.

the usefulness of that is debatable though. that is why you want to do the forward bombslide, turn around mid-slide and then pivot forward to a forward tilt.
sounds really difficult, but if you can bombslide fluently, the pivot really isn't that much of an addition.

how to do this is:

forward dash
down on c-stick (give a milisecond gap after) so the bomb should go forward now
then up on control stick and z at the same time
then continue to roll the control stick so that it is backwards now (go fast!)
you should be sliding backwards at this point doing the throw animation in opposite direction, but you have no bomb because you already threw it when you pressed the c-stick
then press in the direction of your momentum again to turn around
in the middle of the pivot while changing directions use your forward tilt.

remember, to throw the bomb forward instead of backwards. a reverse bombslide requires that you press c-stick down and do the roll on the control stick really close, if not simultaneously. in this technique, make sure you don't start the upsmash until the bomb is already thrown.

so it's like doing a normal forward bombslide but you are doing the fake throw animation backwards very quickly. MAKE SURE YOU THROW THE BOMB FORWARD WITH THE C-STICK FIRST. Then roll all the way back so he is sliding and fake throwing backwards.

if you pivot and everything correctly you can catch up to the spot where the bomb exploded.
so far i've been able to keep a safe distance without getting blown up, and i slide in with the pivot to combo off of the bomb with low damages. That or capitalize on the enemy who just dodged my bomb. If you pull it off perfect i don't think they can stop the forward tilt if you get the bomb.

So reverse bombslide, and a forward bombslide with turnaround pivot, and then upward bomblide with turnaround pivot is possible, but there is nothing really special to it.

and i don't know if i mentioned this before, but even i don't feel like re-reading my wall of text. kara cancelling is a nice way to keep momentum or change momentum around the stage. especially after a reverse bombslide or a upward bombslide.

Maikeru17

What the hell is this thing
NNID
NoxNoctis
Yeah, this is the first thing I tried when I got the extended upsmash down-pat.
It's nice, and it's definitely just as situationally useful as the upsmash-slide, but perhaps a little less practical?
We'll wait n' see.
There will be a Link who does strange things and eventually becomes the best Link in Brawl.
Toeachesown

-Nox`

Frothylark

Smash Cadet
Nice. There is also another bomb slide that's not as prominent. You dash, jump with analog, then quickly c-stick during that time. You shouldn't leave the ground and throw the bomb during the slide forward. You also don't have to change the control scheme for this.

MrPhox

Tamed Beast
NNID
Mr.Phox
3DS FC
0318-7803-7610
Nice. There is also another bomb slide that's not as prominent. You dash, jump with analog, then quickly c-stick during that time. You shouldn't leave the ground and throw the bomb during the slide forward. You also don't have to change the control scheme for this.
that's called jump-cancelling your bombs
you can also use Y to jump, i find it easier because it's next to A.
it allows you to turn around and throw a bomb while running in the opposite direction.
the slide it gives link is nearly nothing, but toon link gets a decent slide from jump cancelling.

Eten

Smash Ace
So now link has several unique approaching options:
Zair (aerial clawshot)
Bomb-sliding
What some people call kara-cancelling. You know the cancelled dash attack to upsmash slide.
Not too bad for a character traditionally considered to just turtle.
There will be a Link who does strange things and eventually becomes the best Link in Brawl.
Yeah, since this is like the third or fourth "slide" link has, this is getting kinda interesting. Since you could already play an OK link by defensively playing out of some good projectiles and mindgame options, simple stuff like projectiles to dash attack or catching somebody with just a dash to upsmash and his out of shield options, these things showing up is going to eventually make a truly awesome link player someday. Zair?
Dash attacked cancelled to upsmash?
Pivot to slide?
You can already up his projectile game by jumping and catching different animations at different times. Like boomerang to boomerang catch cancelled out by the bow animation draw cancelled by landing a short hop,
and now to a bomb-slide?
And things like Link surviving high % because he can grapple the ledge with a whiplash like effect out of an airdodge whenever he gets sent horizontally.
What's next, someone used the ZA-bomb to chase someone off the side with aerials to edgeguard with a bomb in hand to blow up in time for bomb jumps when you need to make it back to the stage? hah.
Link's getting pretty unpredictable.

I really like this bomb-sliding.

MrPhox

Tamed Beast
NNID
Mr.Phox
3DS FC
0318-7803-7610
"There will be a Link who does strange things and eventually becomes the best Link in Brawl."

yeah, that will be me.

Triforce_Chauzu

Smash Apprentice
This bomb-sliding's really interesting... A little too advanced for me though, and I wouldn't be able to change my control scheme. Too used for it.

Very nice find though, indeed.

0RLY

A great conversation filler at bars and parties
Yeah, since this is like the third or fourth "slide" link has, this is getting kinda interesting. Since you could already play an OK link by defensively playing out of some good projectiles and mindgame options, simple stuff like projectiles to dash attack or catching somebody with just a dash to upsmash and his out of shield options, these things showing up is going to eventually make a truly awesome link player someday. Zair?
Dash attacked cancelled to upsmash?
Pivot to slide?
You can already up his projectile game by jumping and catching different animations at different times. Like boomerang to boomerang catch cancelled out by the bow animation draw cancelled by landing a short hop,
and now to a bomb-slide?
And things like Link surviving high % because he can grapple the ledge with a whiplash like effect out of an airdodge whenever he gets sent horizontally.
What's next, someone used the ZA-bomb to chase someone off the side with aerials to edgeguard with a bomb in hand to blow up in time for bomb jumps when you need to make it back to the stage? hah.
Link's getting pretty unpredictable.

I really like this bomb-sliding.
Looks like Link is becoming one of those poorly stat-distributed characters with tons of tricks up their sleeves. Kind of like Clefable in Pokemon. <-- No one's going to get this reference.

GTR!

Smash Journeyman
so can this be done on the regular control configuration?

sidenote- can this be done with Toon Link also?

FartKnocker

Smash Apprentice
I'll add a link to this thread in my guide. Nice description of the technique and vid :)

ImpactAR

Smash Ace
Very nice analysis on this trick. I knew of this, but assumed it was unreliable. However you tested it well and have some good details on this. Props to you.

I've been able to do the Kara Canceling, but the way the Up Smash hits during the slide and the random distance on the slide makes it unreliable at times. With the bomb I couldn't figure out why it throws forward or up at times. I assumed it was random, therefore unreliable.

This is somewhat nice with the slide and up throw since it's quick and has quite a distance. A slight time frame is needed for pivot sliding and it's not nearly as quick and long as the slide of the Kara Cancel. Link can naturally attack quickly after throwing a bomb so it can be treated as a wavedash and attack with a sliding move other than an Up Smash or use it as a way to get away from your opponent. However that is with throwing the bomb up.

I don't find much usefulness with the forward throw unless you're really far away. Doing it close will cause you to slide into the explosion. Even doing it far away doesn't really do you much good since you have the distance you should just spam.

Kitt

Smash Cadet
I'd like to make a note that this tech can be done without changing your control scheme. You can leave Z as grab and still do it with pressing Z

MrPhox

Tamed Beast
NNID
Mr.Phox
3DS FC
0318-7803-7610
I've been able to do the Kara Canceling, but the way the Up Smash hits during the slide and the random distance on the slide makes it unreliable at times.

kara cancelling is not random.
the distance you slide depends on how late or early you upsmash after initiating your dash attack.

MrPhox

Tamed Beast
NNID
Mr.Phox
3DS FC
0318-7803-7610
I'd like to make a note that this tech can be done without changing your control scheme. You can leave Z as grab and still do it with pressing Z
it IS possible, it's just harder.
Try both ways out, you'll find that Z as attack is just better in this circumstance.
When Z is grab throwing it up is really hardn and it seems like you have to wait until later in your dash.

MrPhox

Tamed Beast
NNID
Mr.Phox
3DS FC
0318-7803-7610
Sliding up smash is a pretty poor approach method...
once you have your bombs and galeforce or arrows distracting them, forcing them to evade, it's a pretty nice blitzkreig. Just have to set up the obstacle course.

Not many characters dash that far, and that fast with an attack that covers in front, above and behind them that does 17 damage.

I find it ideal for people in the air. Sneak right up under them. If you're able to scare them into the air with your items it's a good idea to use your sliding upsmash.

A drawback is it's commitment. You're stuck doing a long move, so if you miss it's punishable. But who the hell plays link and just runs in without items herding his opponent around?

Legan

Smash Lord
I'd just like to mention the claw shot cancel to kara cancel u-smash combo and the full hop double arrow spam off of the arrow cancel. You can also tripple arrow spam by full hop arrow to second jump arrow to arrow cancel upon landing. If you throw a bomb and arrow cancel upon landing, there's the chance the arrow will hit at the smae time as the bomb, making the opponent get hit by the arrow and making it so they cant catch the bomb so they git hit by both. also, if you kara cancel with a bomb in hand, you'll slide across the stage while throwing the bomb foreward even though the animation shows you throwing it up. Possibly a really weird mind game? Idk. Finally, I did notice that fully charged the spin attack is Link's strongest Kill move. If you manage to break an opponents shield, and with Link it does happen on occasion with his double f-smash and what not, use the spin attack for the kill.

This was posted by deva in the allisbrawl forums on march 31 meaning it was known a technique. I also knew about it but i havent found many practical uses for it. It does make for an ok mindgame but to say it's an essential technique to be a pro link is dumb.

Ganny

Smash Journeyman
Sorry to burst your bubble but I've been using this to juggle people in the air and for bomb dancing which I have to make a video of.

MrPhox

Tamed Beast
NNID
Mr.Phox
3DS FC
0318-7803-7610
Sorry to burst your bubble but I've been using this to juggle people in the air and for bomb dancing which I have to make a video of.
no bubble, no problem.

it's good, at least somebody else thinks it's a good idea!

i think it will be helpful later on in the metagame.

XERAMPELINAE

Smash Apprentice
Link is my second main, and I've been trying to get him to do that like crazy (I should come and visit the Link board more often.)
Peach can easily do that with her turnips in all directions (Shield Toss) as well as all the female characters with a certain item. But Link's technique doesn't work that way. I'm going to try it out later, but it does seem more complicated than the turnips.

Blubba_Pinecone

Smash Ace
Very nice find. It works, so if anyone is having trouble I reccomend: practice practice practice!

I haven't seen many other training to get this move down, but, if you're like me, you're most common error in preforming this would be to be hitting up on the control stick to soon, resulting in a JC'd Dthrow, and hitting yourself pointlessly with the bomb. Personally, to me it feels more like you press up after you do DownC to Z.

Also, for those of you who use L to shield, like me, I would reccomend using R, not Z. Keep Z as it is. Also, it works with Z even if you don't modify your controls. The quick grab function has always throw bombs before and still does. But I find the R button to feel more natural.

MrPhox

Tamed Beast
NNID
Mr.Phox
3DS FC
0318-7803-7610
Very nice find. It works, so if anyone is having trouble I reccomend: practice practice practice!

I haven't seen many other training to get this move down, but, if you're like me, you're most common error in preforming this would be to be hitting up on the control stick to soon, resulting in a JC'd Dthrow, and hitting yourself pointlessly with the bomb. Personally, to me it feels more like you press up after you do DownC to Z.

Also, for those of you who use L to shield, like me, I would reccomend using R, not Z. Keep Z as it is. Also, it works with Z even if you don't modify your controls. The quick grab function has always throw bombs before and still does. But I find the R button to feel more natural.
i have tapjump off so i have no problem with the jump cancelled down throws.

did i say to press up before the down-C? i thought i told people to dash then begin dash attack, and THAT is where you upsmash to cancel it.

at which point if you are really quick, you can decide to throw it forward, backward or up.
quick is the key word here. VERY quick.

i practice it a lot. slowly i am starting to be able to apply it, but it's going to take plenty of time to get comfortable with it to use it naturally.

Dingding123

Smash Journeyman
WOWza, this works pretty well! Haven't mastered it yet, i slip up every once in a while and throw the bomb straight down. It's hard to keep in mind that you have to down-C BEFORE you press up. It'll just take some getting used to.

You can add this to your first post or not, but these are a few handy tricks you can do with a bomb other than bombsliding:

Hookshot out of a midair dodge, then when you hit the ground chunk the bomb at them. If the victim is at low - medium %, you can follow up with an uair or a smexykick.

If the bomb is about to 'splode, just hold on to it and stay near your opponent. Shield while it goes off, and if your opponent is near you, they go boom. You can also do a dodge, roll, or midair dodge to avoid the blast and still have your opponent go boom.

These seem to be some good alternatives (especially the former) if your opponent is all up in your face and bombsliding is a little to much to ask for atm. I'd say that bombsliding to the offense is most effective when your opponent is at hi %. Then you can follow up with a smash, up b (lol), or whatnot. However, defensive bombsliding is effective at just about anytime, especially to dodge your opponent's attack and come back with one of your own.

Props to Thechene for making this thread! I will most definitely use bombsliding tactics in the next tourney I go to. LINK FTW!!!!! :)

Top Bottom