• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New technique: Jab locks

wazgood

Smash Ace
i guess this is pretty sweet if you cant tech out of it
jabs dont seem to do much damage though, so the effectiveness is limited to ~15-20 damage, which is about the same as if you just comboed into something more powerful

i guess the best part of this is that you can put all of your attack deterioration onto your jab then finish the combo with an fsmash or something

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Neat find, but only someone who's new to the game will fall for it. ;)

IM_A_HUSTLA

Smash Journeyman
yea the laser lock is very situational,

and for this to happen they would have to fall right in front of u, even more situational

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
thats not true... it can be a random occurance that you werent expecting so being good doesnt assure that this wont work on you

Jewdo

Smash Journeyman
Excellent discovery! Situational? Yes. But it IS a True Combo. Anyone who's been here since the game launched will tell you that Brawl needs more True Combos.

Jab Locks are a significant discovery for two more reasons:

(1) 14 more characters have Locks (over 1/3 the roster) and can now rack up big damage while carefully transporting the enemy to the edge of the stage.

(2) The original Laser Lock DISTANCES you from your opponent the longer you hold it. Jab Locking KEEPS YOU CLOSE to your opponent. When you finally get to the edge, you can transition neatly into a nasty kill strike.

Yes, Laser Locking can *edit: in theory* carry your opponent to their death, but you need to keep it up long after they've left the edge, and ONLY FALCO CAN DO IT. With the Jab Lock, you can finish your victims off much quicker (and less tediously) with CHARACTERS OTHER THAN FALCO.

In summary - Jab Locking opportunities may be rare, but when they come up, you'll be glad you know what to do.

Thank you very much, sir! Here's looking forward to more breaks like this!

*Sidenote* I'm not a Falco main, so out of curiosity, how hard IS it to set up an opponent for a Lock? I suspect it'd be tough, but if the success rate of even one set-up is reasonable, Locking could become really big with this new info.

kupo15

Smash Hero
After jab locking shiek against Rainbow cruise with Metaknight's A, I had a feeling this was possible. I was toying around with this last week and was trying to fully understand it before posting. Oh well, you confirmed my suspicion that Pit can't do this unfortunately. ;)

Jewdo: It is situational but I don't feel that it is hard to do. You can do it after hitting your opponent that causes them to trip, or if your opponent trips, that is the set up I think. Or if you spike your opponent onto the platform and pull off a jab if they miss the tech.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
I don't think this will be something people necessarily set up for, but if I'm Dedede, and someone misses a tech right in front of me, I'm going to hit them with a jab lock. I think that's where the use comes in.

Peaches

Smash Lord
If this is in any way practical, then Brawl is stupider than I thought.

Cs_Nexus

Smash Apprentice
IDK maybe::::

Smash DI

Looks like sandbagcombos...
I could show you a Running up smash, Dair combo all day long on a sandbag.
Nice find tho.

mugwhump

Smash Journeyman
IDK maybe::::

Smash DI

Looks like sandbagcombos...
I could show you a Running up smash, Dair combo all day long on a sandbag.
Nice find tho.
They could use SDI to get closer or further away, but in Brawl you can't use SDI to change what hit state a move puts you into. :bee:

everlasting yayuhzz

Smash Champion
lol @ all the people saying it's not good. Okay, once it happens to you and you come RIGHT back to this very thread and starts *****ing about it, read over your own posts and STFU.

Good **** Lucien.

OoNoiRoO

Smash Journeyman
Brawl is starting to look like one of those glitchy jp-only fighting games that have stupid infinites n' stuff >_>

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
huh? i thought this was known lol.

i didn't know that all those characters could do it though.

whatever. thanks for posting lucien.

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
my friend using snake does this to me . Super super anoying lol i get get out before 15% tho and punish

chester

Smash Rookie
this also would help reset your damage decay queue such that your follow-up yields max dmg/knockback

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
What about perfect sheilding someones Airs? :p Jab lock right out of it would work I'm assuming.
No, because in order to jab lock/laser lock, you have to have your opponent land on their back (not on their stomach) right in front of you. Now how are you going to guarantee that off a PS:ed attack?

marthmaster04

Smash Ace
No, because in order to jab lock/laser lock, you have to have your opponent land on their back (not on their stomach) right in front of you. Now how are you going to guarantee that off a PS:ed attack?
Lol iunno. :p Haven't played brawl yet, Just makin a analysis. *corrected*

Dash_Fox

Smash Ace
This is all the more reason to TECH! Or air dodge like everyone else does before you land.

Otherwise great technique I can't wait to get a situation like this and totally own!

cubaisdeath

Smash Lord
I played a lot on luigi's mansion last night, and I could do it pretty consistently when I was playing. thats kinda stupid

Zodiac

Smash Master
Replacement for chainthrowing!!!!!! except it cant be di'ed haha.

FS Fantom

Free Saltines
NNID
Sbfantom
I don't see it occurring all that often with decent to high level players...how often do you land on the ground bouncing AND being in front of your opponent?

my friend using snake does this to me . Super super anoying lol i get get out before 15% tho and punish
Which move with Snake does this? I didn't see him on that list.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
I don't see it occurring all that often with decent to high level players...how often do you land on the ground bouncing AND being in front of your opponent?
Anytime they dash up to you and you don't tech it (if you don't tech it, they'll be able to lock you)

Top Bottom