• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New ADVANCE TECHNIQUE , Pivot Wave Grab

Edu

Smash Rookie
The Video to this Technique is here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gX3P9qIOzhU

And yes, it has Wave on the name :laugh:

Hello fellow smashers, I dont post to much on this forums but I have been playing competivly and reading a lot in this forums since .... well , a lot of time.

The thing is I discovered some time ago a similar way to Wave dash in brawl ( Calm down everybody its not exactly a wave dash and defintly not as effective). So ,let s get rolling

In the Dojo site , explain a technique called pivot grab
http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/howto/technique/technique10.html

(at the end of my video, this is allso shown)
It goes like

Run----> turn arround, Press the grab button (Or shield and punch)

The technique is done by using the effects of the shield cancel, the mommentum (is this right?) of the first animation of a dash, and a pivot grab.

The input its like this

Tap --->,(In the first animation of the dash) Press shield , Hold <--- , Press punch (To perform the grab)

The last 3 steps have to be almost at the same time

It also can be done the other way around
uffff

So this will result (depending on the character ) Doing a small glide and a grab at the same time facing the opposite direction

This help me a lot with my fox metagame, Fox has a fast and meddium glide (o I forgot to tell I am and always be a Fox player)
Characters like luigi will result in a Slow and a really long glide
( not all characters can do the Pivot Wave Dash by the way).

In this video I show some uses for the PWG in a Practical combo vid called "The Fox That Shines No More" ( :( Sniff ) , some small combos for fox (in brawl you cant combo very long or very efectivly)and some examples of how does PWG it looks in some characters ( Fox, Falco , Pikachu, Ike, Luigi) there s no much variety because of the lack of footage and the quality is not really good sorry for that.

There are some disadvantages in comparison to wave dash from melee, you cant do anything while the glide is taking place for example.

BUT there s a lot of uses (WACH THE VIDEO DAMIT)
Really good for mind games, Grate for aproaching, PERFECT for spacing, your grab has lot of reach now, its a more safe way to grab without having this awful lag infront of your opponent, etc, etc, etc, etc.

The footage is me playing some friendlies and ranked matches at wifiwars and smashbrawlrankings (one day footage) thanks to all my opponents

Knowing you will forgive my spelling
Greetings From Mexico Queretaro
Eduvaesq

super_bacon807

Smash Apprentice
Hey, this looks like a great find for Fox. I suggest you post it in the Brawl Fox Character forums. We're in great need of new techniques.

BlankShot

Smash Rookie
This seems PRETTY similar to what my friend called a "Dash Attack Cancelled Grab". But according to what's posted here, the key config is different.

I'll have to test them both out. Nevertheless, good find.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Wasn't this on Brawl Central...like in February?

I am not even joking, I swear I saw this there and it was the first thing I applied to my Marth's game. ._.

Although I have no idea if they keep archives of past news, nor do I care too much about it in general.

It's nice that you brought it back up though, I'm pretty sure most people ignored any "advanced techniques" posted prior to March 9th. Good stuff, probably does other characters more justice, like Fox as you said.

DragonBlade

Smash Journeyman
You should stick to calling it the Pivot Wave Grab, like in the video. Its not really a wave dash if you can only do the grab out of it. This is one of the few AT threads that actually deserve to exist, good work I suppose.

Edu

Smash Rookie
Wasn't this on Brawl Central...like in February?

I am not even joking, I swear I saw this there and it was the first thing I applied to my Marth's game. ._.

Although I have no idea if they keep archives of past news, nor do I care too much about it in general.

It's nice that you brought it back up though, I'm pretty sure most people ignored any "advanced techniques" posted prior to March 9th. Good stuff, probably does other characters more justice, like Fox as you said.

To my undestanding, Marth cant do this techinique (anyway let me check again:) )

Edu

Smash Rookie
Hey there. I already figured this out. It's not very important, though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4Z_pc-t31s

I would just call it a boost grab... but it's not really a boost grab from Melee. Whatever.

NOT IMPORTANT????, well , at least for my metagame is really importan . I have been practicing and perfectioning this for some time and I find it REALLY use full (watch de vid :lick:).

And looks like you post that video 2 days before mine( :laugh: I should be more quick editing lol) well, call it as you like, the thing is that there are really good aplication to it .
Try it is more usful than you think

Robiin

Smash Cadet
I found this.. Well, at least I think it's the same. And really easy to perform:

1 Dash
2 Shield
3 C-stick in the opposite direction

2 & 3 should be done at the same time.. You can (and should BTW) even hold the Analog stick in the direction you're running the whole time..

fouxs2

Smash Cadet
So basically, you dash, let go of C-Stick, shield and A with the C-Stick on the oppsite direction of the dash at the same time (those last 3 at the same time)?

bowz10190

Smash Apprentice
I found this about two weeks ago, not trying to burst your bubble. I think I do it a different way though. If you know how to do the snakedash or whatever it's called (dash, down C-stick, up+z). All you have to do is replace the up+z with opposite direction you're running and z.

I'll test it out with fox and see if i get the same result as you. I use it most with falco because he gets a decent slide. (I called it a pivot slide grab.)

Nintendo_lord

Smash Journeyman
OMG, lolz I was wondering where I had seen this before and then I realized what your screen name was because I think you used this against me in wifi matches. Awesome find

Jester Kirby

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JesterKirby
nice, any idea if Kirby can do it? I'l definitly give it a try tommorrow. You have some serious skill with Fox, messege me if you want to play sometime.

Eriko

Smash Cadet
Or a reverse boost grab.

Every character can do it. The only problem is finding uses for it. In most cases, you can just pivot grab instead of doing this.

I found this about two weeks ago, not trying to burst your bubble. I think I do it a different way though. If you know how to do the snakedash or whatever it's called (dash, down C-stick, up+z). All you have to do is replace the up+z with opposite direction you're running and z.

I'll test it out with fox and see if i get the same result as you. I use it most with falco because he gets a decent slide. (I called it a pivot slide grab.)
I did this, too... but then I saw how useless it was doing that. It works just as well running ->, tapping <-, and grabbing. The way he's doing it in this thread is only good for doing it out of a stand.

Top Bottom