• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to perform Hylian's IC chaingrab?

Sonic XD

Smash Ace
How do you use Hylian's IC chaingrab? What controller should you use? What should be the timing? How does it work?

Schoobs

Smash Rookie
Yeah, I'm also having trouble with this cg, would love some pointers on the timing. My main problem is Popo dthrow-> regrab with nana. I can't seem to time it right to grab with nana after the down throw. Any help would be appreciated.

Miller

Smash Lord
Just practice, go in training mode, and put the speed down, then when u get that, move up to a faster speed, etc etc

soccerdrew17

Smash Journeyman
ive been having problems with the dthrow too, im sort of kinda getting it. the hard part is that they have the smash di frames wen nana throws they into the ground. u have to start the grab with popo at the end of those frames. you can easily see the stalling frames if you look for them.

you also can use the sound of them hitting the ground to help with timing. or use natural timing which is overall best, but hardest to get.

if that doesnt work then try the fthrow (havent done it myself) because that also passes off teh person to nana.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
You cannot smash DI throws.

I use the gamecube controller.

Here is how I do it step by step:
- Grab your opponent with popo
- Down throw
- As you are Dthrowing walk forward with nan a small bit.
- Grab with nana as soon as you see the throw animation end.
-Press forward now, but not enough to throw your opponent. This will make popo walk to nana
- As soon as popo gets right inside of nana bthrow. Dont hit the stick all the way back or popo will dash.
- The timing for this grab is almost the same as the throw. So throw then grab immediatly.
-Repeat

Tips: Listening to the sounds can help a lot.
- Practice! There is no easy way to do this.

knuttz45

Smash Ace
You cannot smash DI throws.

I use the gamecube controller.

Here is how I do it step by step:
- Grab your opponent with popo
- Down throw
- As you are Dthrowing walk forward with nan a small bit.
- Grab with nana as soon as you see the throw animation end.
-Press forward now, but not enough to throw your opponent. This will make popo walk to nana
- As soon as popo gets right inside of nana bthrow. Dont hit the stick all the way back or popo will dash.
- The timing for this grab is almost the same as the throw. So throw then grab immediatly.
-Repeat

Tips: Listening to the sounds can help a lot.
- Practice! There is no easy way to do this.
Wow, I thought I found this myself...but someone found this before me. :) anyway, if you dash and reverse grab after nana grabs, you grab them again with popo, you can wait a half of a second, and dthrow, nana will slide into the correct place to do the grab again, thus making it an infinite. I've only really gotten it 6 times in a row though. Timing is rough....I'll post this in the actual thread if it hasn't already done this.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Wow, I thought I found this myself...but someone found this before me. :) anyway, if you dash and reverse grab after nana grabs, you grab them again with popo, you can wait a half of a second, and dthrow, nana will slide into the correct place to do the grab again, thus making it an infinite. I've only really gotten it 6 times in a row though. Timing is rough....I'll post this in the actual thread if it hasn't already done this.
Nope. You don't need to pivot.

Atlantis

Smash Cadet
As im sure there are many ways to do it i do it the way Void did in his video against olimar.

Grab with Popo---->Smash/Bthrow----->immediately grab with nana----->Bthrow----->(as popo goes that way quickly turn back towards nana) Grab---->Smash/Bthrow---->immediately grab with nana.....rinse and repeat...the timing is tough, however it cannot be escaped by DI cause the opponent isn't moving anywhere...the throws act more like hand-offs than anything else

Atlantis

Smash Cadet
Yeah, heavier characters are a pain in the butt to cg for me at least! Even some skinnier ones like Snake who are still heavy are troublesome. Those just take more practice and better timing....practice practice practice.

Zanyruki

Smash Rookie
Does it matter if you start with Popo bthrowing first, and then having nana dthrow?

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
/sigh lately when I do this Popo (I play as the black/white skin so I control Nana) rolls in the opposite direction in which I'm doing the b-throw. It almost seems impossible as I'm not giving any sort of directional input in the direction he's rolling.

btw, I'm using a different variant. Nana Grab, B-throw, Popo Grab, D-throw, Nana Grab, repeat. It's during the B-throw that Popo rolls in the opposite direction I'm throwing in.

DYF

Smash Cadet
/sigh lately when I do this Popo (I play as the black/white skin so I control Nana) rolls in the opposite direction in which I'm doing the b-throw. It almost seems impossible as I'm not giving any sort of directional input in the direction he's rolling.

btw, I'm using a different variant. Nana Grab, B-throw, Popo Grab, D-throw, Nana Grab, repeat. It's during the B-throw that Popo rolls in the opposite direction I'm throwing in.
Sounds like your problem is that you are pressing Z too soon and hitting the control stick too hard, which is making you do the roll de-sync.

LaserBust

Smash Journeyman
Sounds like your problem is that you are pressing Z too soon and hitting the control stick too hard, which is making you do the roll de-sync.
Bingo. That was head on.
I had the same problem a while ago.

Why do u guys luv this CG so much.. Is it jus because Hylian use it?

Dthrow > Fthrow, racks more damage, is faster, and drives em towards the edge, which sets up 4 a spike, or a early Fsmash KO. (2 many comma's, my b.)

No disrespect intended btw..

whut?

Smash Journeyman
How do you use Hylian's IC chaingrab? What controller should you use? What should be the timing? How does it work?
sorry i dont know what chaingrab youre talking about.
hylian doesnt have a chaingrab, there is no chaingrab called the "hylian" as well.
you must mean infinite alt throws.
look through the threads already made on this subject.

Chaco

Never Logs In
Bingo. That was head on.
I had the same problem a while ago.

Why do u guys luv this CG so much.. Is it jus because Hylian use it?

Dthrow > Fthrow, racks more damage, is faster, and drives em towards the edge, which sets up 4 a spike, or a early Fsmash KO. (2 many comma's, my b.)

No disrespect intended btw..
Exactly Laser. that is exactly what I do.

And he means hylian's Uber CG

Enzyme

Smash Apprentice
I personally like the bthrow -> dthrow because after the b-throw popo is slightly ahead so you just hit down, and grab at the right time, don't need to worry about moving at all. Rinse, Repeat till you wanna charge an upsmash for the ko, which can conviently be done while holding them.

I like not moving forward, because I find the spike unreliable against a decent opponent, and the fmash won't kill enough after 1 trip across the stage if I get them at low percents. Back->Down throw chain stays in a neat little spot, and if I don't mess up, they are dead, no edguard needed.

Like wobbles, if they get grabbed, they die. (assuming I know the timing for that specific char, and can execute it) Throw in some smashes from nana while popo's holding and the damage comes quick enough for my needs.

Chaco

Never Logs In
I go by the sounds, I play my CGs by ear. But I agree with what you said. But with my ICs, I was practicing for almost 6 hours today. There was soo much stuff that could be improved still though. I was working hard on desynched combos, and smashes. And getting timing down for that new one that was discovered.

LaserBust

Smash Journeyman
I personally like the bthrow -> dthrow because after the b-throw popo is slightly ahead so you just hit down, and grab at the right time, don't need to worry about moving at all. Rinse, Repeat till you wanna charge an upsmash for the ko, which can conviently be done while holding them.

I like not moving forward, because I find the spike unreliable against a decent opponent, and the fmash won't kill enough after 1 trip across the stage if I get them at low percents. Back->Down throw chain stays in a neat little spot, and if I don't mess up, they are dead, no edguard needed.

Like wobbles, if they get grabbed, they die. (assuming I know the timing for that specific char, and can execute it) Throw in some smashes from nana while popo's holding and the damage comes quick enough for my needs.
1. I personaly need 2 move forward b4 my grab when Dthrowing. I CG based on feel, so if I skip a step, my timing will b all off.

2. U can trip from walking? Why did I think it was only dashes..
But anyway, yeh I guess, IDk, I neva rly thought it was that big of a deal tho.

3. I do the same, usualy Dsmash, cuz I neva use it 4 KOing. Sometimes tho, my oppenents r actually incredible good at espcaping grabs. I remember 1 time I didnt even have enuf time get started. I was like.. wtf.

EDIT - Yeh Chaco, 1 of meh main reasons of playN IC's iz because they have so much tech 2 pratice. Jus so dern awesome 2 sit in training mode 4 2hours+ praticing 1 of 10000 million techniques..

Enzyme

Smash Apprentice
(Assuming you control Popo) I find when I b-throw, Nana grabs, and ends up slightly behind Popo, with the opponent just ahead of him, perfect spacing to regrab after the d-throw.

Occasionally Nana will have moved forward on the b-throw and I'll have to walk up to regrab, but this is rare, and I think is just a wrong input on my part somewhere. I'll see if I can get a recording to explain it better. As long as you're not dealing with a grab limit (which are lame), or some other factor (on a platform, making the dthrow difficult) it's one of the better cgs to use in my opinion since b/dthrow are easier to time for most people. and you don't have to worry about running into edges or other stage obstacles.

Edit: Oh, and by trip I meant one length of the stage, since I'm bad at timing a single bthrow to turn the other way, once I've gotten into the rhythm of the f/d throw chain. Upsmash kills sooner anyways, I think... unless it has short edges.

Chaco

Never Logs In
Yeh Chaco, 1 of meh main reasons of playN IC's iz because they have so much tech 2 pratice. Jus so dern awesome 2 sit in training mode 4 2hours+ praticing 1 of 10000 million techniques..
Yeah, I spent hours practicing today. I'mma about to go practice some more.
Desynching tech practice.

Top Bottom