• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hobbling- a new IC's chaingrab/infinite

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
Hobbling is a group of chaingrabs that I've come up with that all start basically with the same initial setup.

Why are these chains so awesome? Each type has its own timing , but that tsame timing can be applied to every character at any percentage.

Ive come up with four types so far, maybe you guys can come up with some on your own.

Basic Facts-

1. You can not tech a foot stool jump
2. Once on the ground after bieng foot stooled, if you are lightly tapped you will automatically stand up. You cannot roll.

Hobbling Type 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sToFj4B2hmA

-Cannot be DI'd out of by heavy weight characters
-After a certain percentage mediuim weight characters can DI out of it
-light weight characters can DI out of it at any percantage

Hobblinig Type 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqYtZ-V6TK4

Same info as type 1

Hobblinig Type 3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOP2Kh_JJ6I

-Can be DI'd out of only at really high percentages
-good setup for bringing light and medium weight characters to the edge to setup for D-throw F-air spike

Hobbling Type 4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9feI7FD6vk

I don't really have much practice with this one but it looks like it can't be DI'd out of.

Weird Nana in air dash dance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8efoi9W6nck

It looks like if nana foot stools and popo doesn't she will turn around in the air when popo turns around on the ground. Even while in the middle of doing an aerial.

If your wondering why I call it Hobbling:

-My gamer tag is Hobbs
-I can't think of a regular name that doesn't sound stupid or too long-(Back air foot stool ice block chain)
- it sounds cool

PS: There is a way to do it with Uthrow but I haven't made a video if it yet.

PSS: Sorry some of the videos are glitchy, I use GameBridge

Corner-Trap

Smash Ace
Instead of Hobbling, why not just label these footstool CG's? Hobbling sounds to much like wobbling and they have very little to do with each other. Funny thin is, is that I was trying to do some CG's involving footstools. All I could do was a Dthrow into footstool jump then jab, but Nana's jab usually hit the bigger characters canceling out the stun from the footstool jump, I didn't honestly think of using an ice block instead.

slacker!

Smash Journeyman
Yeah. . .

No.

Just cause you "invented" a CG doesn't mean you can name it. It's like going into a field of daisies, plucking one, and saying it's your own discovered flower species because it has 3 petals instead of 5.

ICs have MANY CGs. Sure they have not all been found because there are soooo many, and soo many ways to do them. In the end, it's basically the same thing.

GimR

NNID
VGBC_GimR
Yeah. . .

No.

Just cause you "invented" a CG doesn't mean you can name it. It's like going into a field of daisies, plucking one, and saying it's your own discovered flower species because it has 3 petals instead of 5.

ICs have MANY CGs. Sure they have not all been found because there are soooo many, and soo many ways to do them. In the end, it's basically the same thing.

woah woah woah man calm down. Call it whatever you want, I don't care. Just beause I call it hobbling doesn't mean you guys need to. If you want to call it a foot Stool CG go ahead, if that becomes the popular name for it I'll use it to. Now do you have any real comments or critiques on the chain grab itself?

Another thing. The reason this chain grab is different is beause the timinig is the same on every character(except for type 3) regardless of percentage.

Twin-

When someone is foot stooled to the ground and gets hit by an ice block they automatically stand up. You cannot rule out of it or attack to get up. Oh yeah, you can't tech a foot stool jump either.

calprinicus

Smash Cadet
nice find, sure. There have already been known IC footstool grabs. . . but whatever. this reminds me too much of a post where they go over footstool grabs and it's pretty much the same but . . . you grab instead of starting an IB lock which I think is better situated in a real game.

Atlantis

Smash Cadet
I remember a week or two ago NESSBOUNDER did make a thread about foot stool jumps and stuff, so don't fret NB, i remember haha. And as for these, id like to see them done on a struggling lvl 9 orhuman and see how easily they can be done.....anyhoo.....nice find and well thought out :D!!!!

Popertop

Smash Champion
Hobbling sounds similar to Wobbling, and is a much more hilarious name than footstool chaingrabs.
Hobbling fth (for teh hilarious, or maybe lulz)
HOBBLING FTL!

B0NK

Smash Lord
Hobbling sounds similar to Wobbling, and is a much more hilarious name than footstool chaingrabs.
Hobbling fth (for teh hilarious, or maybe lulz)
HOBBLING FTL!
But he didn't invent it. He is using the concept Ness Bounder came up with it and God-is-my-Rock is just doing it over and over again which was in my opinion obvious. The only real use for it is in Texas where they are limited to 3-grabs. So no, it's just a footstool chaingrab. And just out of curiosity, why did you resurrect this thread?

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
So, if I learned two timings then I could infinate (grab till kill anyways) everyone with the right knowledge.

Whats the button combination?

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
Indeed very escaple.

I believe that footstool falling is not like regular falling. There is a lot more stun to it.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
I need comfirmation, but I think that you think falling is like being knocked down by a footstool. When you are hit by a footstool the lag is horrid. Then you are hit by the iceblock which makes you stand right up without attacking.

GimR

NNID
VGBC_GimR
I'll end this right now if you don't mind

the alternate cgs can be much easier than times jumps and ice blocks
So are you agreeing that it can't be escaped?

Also, the first vid shows a CG that works on all heavy characters(Snake, D3, ROB, Ike DK, etc.) from 0 to 999% and The timing is the same each time you do it.

Its easier than alternate grabs, trust me.

SuSa

Banned via Administration
I'm pretty sure you can roll after getting hit by the ice block. Vid coming soon.
It's an Ice Block Lock. You must stand up.

It's basically like a Jiggly or Kirby Jab Lock :| you cannot roll out of it, and you cannot tech out of it, your forced to stand up.

The footstool causes a lag until they hit the ground which then acts like a trip (think Diddy's Bananas) the Ice Block then resets something before they are able to roll out of it, so that they must stand up. Just like jiggly can do utilt or Side-B (I prefer Side B) then jump, footstool, fastfall a nair and then start jab, walk, jab, walk until the edge. Wait until they do their FORCED stand, then jump and rest.

Glad this got bumped, one more thing for me to practice

Gindler

Smash Champion
Hmmm, so i noticed with the ones requiring ice blocks for the chain to work they have to get up before the next grab. Of course you can always attack or roll instead of just standing up so would that alter how useful those are? Oh and teching in general? because you're opponent just seemed to stand there.

25%Cotton

Smash Ace
NNID
Samu.S
3DS FC
4785-5442-4678
Hmmm, so i noticed with the ones requiring ice blocks for the chain to work they have to get up before the next grab. Of course you can always attack or roll instead of just standing up so would that alter how useful those are? Oh and teching in general? because you're opponent just seemed to stand there.
with footstools you cannot roll...

also, with footstools you cannot tech... :p

GimR

NNID
VGBC_GimR

come on man read the first post :dizzy:

chewyy

Smash Ace
It's an Ice Block Lock. You must stand up.
Yeah, I know it is Ice Block Lock, I do it all the time. You are forced to get up up at that time. But I'm pretty sure, if you hit left/right around the time that you are getting up (I don't remember the timing I haven't tried it in a while) you roll in that direction. I'm not 100% sure but I'm pretty sure. I'll check the next chance I have, which will be in a little less than 2 days. You could try it in the meantime.

GimR

NNID
VGBC_GimR
Yeah, I know it is Ice Block Lock, I do it all the time. You are forced to get up up at that time. But I'm pretty sure, if you hit left/right around the time that you are getting up (I don't remember the timing I haven't tried it in a while) you roll in that direction. I'm not 100% sure but I'm pretty sure. I'll check the next chance I have, which will be in a little less than 2 days. You could try it in the meantime.

Before I made these vids I had my bro repeatedly try to get up by pressing left and right. You can't get up

chewyy

Smash Ace
Yeah, and when I was checking what I could do out of Ice block lock(e.g. up-smash). I found you could roll out of it.

Lol, I'm going to feel dumb when I'm wrong. :p
Oh well, we'll see when I get home, it's a long drive. (14 hours)

GimR

NNID
VGBC_GimR
Yeah, and when I was checking what I could do out of Ice block lock(e.g. up-smash). I found you could roll out of it.

Lol, I'm going to feel dumb when I'm wrong. :p
Oh well, we'll see when I get home, it's a long drive. (14 hours)

When you do your testing make sure Popo Ice blocks as soon as possible. If you don't you might come up with false results.

Top Bottom