• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official ChainGrab Thread

Corner-Trap

Smash Ace
All further discussion relating to the IC's CG's will be handled in this thread. If you discover a CG and I deem that it's useful then I'll post it up here.

I. Index

I. Index
II. Chain Grabs
III. Grab Finishers
IV. Threads
V. Videos​

II. Chain Grabs

Dthrow
You can repeat Dthrows until a certain percent that varies amongst characters, and it only requires one IC.

Dthrow into Fair
Just like repeated Dthrows this only works until a certain percent that varies amongst characters. If the opponent is still standing you can regrab, but if the opponent hits the floor then you can do a follow up. You can also use this to spike the opponent while next to the ledge.

Alternating throws
This is an infinite that works on everyone, but the timing is strict and varies on your opponent and their percent. Note that throw animations last longer on bigger characters, and that characters will be hit faster out of your grabs at higher percents. Simply do a Fthrow, Bthrow, or Dthrow with one IC then make the other one grab.

Footstool throw
Do a Fthrow, Bthrow, or Dthrow with one IC then make the other one footstool jump off the opponent. They should flop to the ground being unable to tech. If you hit them with an attack such as a jab or ice block this will make them stand back up and you can regrab them.

Squall hammer throw
Grab the opponent while you're holding the direction all the way towards them. This will allow you to hold forward without doing a Fthrow. Now do a squall hammer with Nana, this will knock the opponent behind Popo where he can turn around and regrab them.​

III. Grab Finishers

Double smash throw
This is a good way to rack up damage and KO your opponent. Just grab with one IC and attack with the C-stick. This results in Popo doing grab hits while Nana does smashes. After Nana does the second smash it'll knock the opponent out of Popo's hand.

Charged smash throw
This is a good way to get off a fully charged smash attack for an easy KO. Simply grab with one IC and then hit the C-stick in any direction for a smash then hold Z. This will result in you charging your smash while the opponent is still grabbed. This can be done regardless of whether Popo or Nana is the one grabbing. It's also a good idea to do a throw towards the IC that is charging their smash. This allows them to charge their smash a bit longer while the opponent can't break away.

Ice block lock
Not exactly a CG, but it can be used after directly after a CG. After a Dthrow into Fair CG start shooting out evenly spaced ice blocks while desynched. This will put your opponent in continuous stun, you can also do a SH and shoot an ice block on the far side of your opponent popping them back to you resulting in an infinite. This can be used to carry opponents off the stage, KO them on walk off ledges, or be turned into an infinite against a wall.​

IV. Threads

V. Videos

calprinicus

Smash Cadet
hey nice thread! For organizing sake I would split the categories up in "grab/throws" and "grab finishers". If you do i would re mention the f-air spike in finishers. Also there are different variations on the footstool and squall hammer grabs and I would probably explain the differences and button input.
Nice thread again lets hope people use this instead of more little annoying threads. Good Job.

Corner-Trap

Smash Ace
I'll think about giving CG finishers they're own section, depends on if thats what people want. I know there are lots of variations on the footstool and squall hammer throws, I just felt like giving a general overview of it. I may put up subsections under those to list the variations.

slacker!

Smash Journeyman
Would you mind editing so it looks something like this? It would be easier on the eyes and won't look like a a post with mini walls of text. No rush, though, do it when you have time as this isn't as important as getting all the grab info in. :) Thanks.

1. Section Name

I. Grab Name
i. Grab info (how to do it, when to, etc.)​
A. Video (if any)​

II. Grab Name
i. Grab info​
A. Video​

Here's the format so you can just copy paste (remember to remove the space before the first close bracket of every tag):

[SIZE="5" ][B ][U ]1. Section Name[/U][/B][/SIZE]

[SIZE="3" ][U ]I. Grab Name[/U][/SIZE]
[INDENT ]i. Grab info (how to do it, when to, etc.)[/INDENT]
[INDENT ][INDENT ]A. Video (if any)[/INDENT][/INDENT]

[SIZE="3" ][U ]II. Grab Name[/U][/SIZE]
[INDENT ]i. Grab info[/INDENT]
[INDENT ][INDENT ]A. Video[/INDENT][/INDENT]

Ark22

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for posting this thread! We've really needed a place to compile all of the ICs grab combos.

Another finisher that you can add is the Fthrow into Fair. It can be used to spike at all %s on all characters, but the timing and button input is slightly different than the Dthrow into Fair, and it can't be used to combo.

Sorry that I don't have a video of it right now, but you can try it on practice mode. Its just:

Popo Grab > Nana Jump > Forward Throw + Cstick Fair (at same time)

DFat1

Smash Rookie
I think that The chain grabs shouldn't be banned cuase, well, there are two characters in one. Its not like the King D3's chain grab which is just annoying and can be done without any effort whatsoever.

Is Some one going to explain the timing withing each grab? Because thats the most tricky part, the Timing.

Anyways, thanks for the thread, It's really helpful.

Corner-Trap

Smash Ace
We're not here to discuss the legality of CG's, theres already another thread on that. VirtualVoid said he was going to come out with a video tutorial on how to do the alternating throws, so you'll have to wait for that.

Dan_X

Smash Lord
Thanks man!

this thread is the best idea ever, thanks Corner-Trap!!!!

I already knew all of these, but it's nice to have them all in one place. Nice :D!

P.S. happy birthday man! My birthday is today, Tuesday 4/22!! So our b-days are a day apart.

I know, I know, exciting..

VirtualVoid

Smash Journeyman
You should also note that my vid, Snowstorm, is a bit outdated and some of the info there isnt 100% accurate.

Shök

Smash Champion
So what chaingrab would you say is more useful Corner-Trap?

Corner-Trap

Smash Ace
Alternating throws is currently the most practical CG the IC's have, but it's also their hardest CG. I'm also about to update the first post in a little bit so watch out for that.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
The best and most damaging chain grab is actually dthrow fair at higher percents ^_^ if you tap reset with a block or jab, they will get up right away and you can grab.

IMO it's the most efficient but they can escape if they DI behind you and you guess wrong. As for me, I'd rather do damage than risk messing up alternations... Even Void, who is absolutely amazing at the alternate throws, messes up a lot in matches.

Corner-Trap

Smash Ace
The best and most damaging chain grab is actually dthrow fair at higher percents ^_^ if you tap reset with a block or jab, they will get up right away and you can grab.

IMO it's the most efficient but they can escape if they DI behind you and you guess wrong. As for me, I'd rather do damage than risk messing up alternations... Even Void, who is absolutely amazing at the alternate throws, messes up a lot in matches.
So you're basically saying that you can do a Dthrow into Fair then hit with an ice block to make them stand up and regrab? Can't they tech roll once they hit the ground, completely dodging the ice block?

As far as the difficulty of alternating throws, they're almost becoming second hand nature for me. Against characters who I fight against fairly often, I hardly mess up. But against characters who I don't play against a lot, I generally mess up since the timing for every character is different.

LaserBust

Smash Journeyman
As far as the difficulty of alternating throws, they're almost becoming second hand nature for me. Against characters who I fight against fairly often, I hardly mess up. But against characters who I don't play against a lot, I generally mess up since the timing for every character is different.
Wow. So the same. Jus 0-82 % A falco, then fininished with a offstage spike..
2 games l8r, uses Wolf.. I get 1 decent 1 past 30% .. thats it. Its like, a whole diffrent Cg. Seriously.. it took me by a HUGE surprise. I was jus about 2 post "Wolf cant be Chaingrabbed", till I went into pratice mode 4 a hour or so..

Question - R there any eaiser altnerates 4 diff chars? Like I think it eaiser 2 BackThrow Alternate Ike than Forward. But I dowbt it, probable jus Cuz I suk at Foward..

Ark22

Smash Apprentice
There are different combinations of chain throws that are more useful against different characters. I've found that Metaknight is fairly hard to forward throw, but he is easier to back throw and down throw. Against him, I just back throw -> down throw -> repeat.

However, against some other characters, the forward throw -> down throw is easier for me.

Ark22

Smash Apprentice
Lol good idea.

Some other things about different types of chain grabs:

The footstool grab chain works best on large / heavy characters because the timing is easier to do on them than just straight regrab combos and they can't DI out of it - making it a true infinite on heavier characters.

Lighter characters can DI out of the footstool chain throws at mid / high percents so its best to use the normal ICG on them. Plus, the timing for down throw / back throw is easier on lighter characters.

DZhou

Smash Journeyman
So the alternating grabs are just timing? Is it Grab, tap control stick twice (one for throw, one for dash), grab again?

stoopdklutz

Smash Journeyman
its all timing, yea, but I don't see why you have to press twice. you move the stick lightly enough that one throws, but the other walks, and then regrabs.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Umm I don't really use IC's but I did something pretty cool to one of my friends and was wondering if its new or whatever.
Hope it helps. >_>
(Its against no one, just to show.)

Possible new chain grab

Snail

Smash Lord
Um, I've been trying to learn chaingrabbing and I have the alternating Fthrow down pretty much, as well as dthrow>Fair ones and ice block locks. However, I just can't get Nana to catch the opponent after Popo bthrows them. The opponent seems to fly diagonally upwards when I bthrow them, and that doesn't allow Nana to catch them. How exactly do you position Nana to catch the opponent after Bthrowing?

chewyy

Smash Ace
The timing for it is a lot earlier than you think. Well, at least it was for me. Try it on meta, hit over and grab at about the same time. For heavier characters, I haven't really tried it (I assume it's just slower), but I get the b-throw grab on meta, pika, and G&W (characters that give me problems) pretty much 100% of the time doing it like that.

As for positioning, I don't really do any, just make sure nana is really close to popo.

Snail

Smash Lord
The timing for it is a lot earlier than you think. Well, at least it was for me. Try it on meta, hit over and grab at about the same time. For heavier characters, I haven't really tried it (I assume it's just slower), but I get the b-throw grab on meta, pika, and G&W (characters that give me problems) pretty much 100% of the time doing it like that.

As for positioning, I don't really do any, just make sure nana is really close to popo.
Okay, thanks x) I guess I'll try doing it on Meta. I've been trying on D3 since I thought he would be the easiest because of his size (It's so easy to alternate fthrows on him :D) but maybe I was wrong. Thanks again!

joedragon15

Smash Apprentice
its hard for me to do the fthrow chain grab cuz i cant get nana to grab as soon and i throw with popo. i do i perfect this???

Shök

Smash Champion
Well you need a certain rythym to do the chaingrab.

And each character has a different timing depending on the weight.

Just practice.

luan87us

Smash Rookie
Hi I just started to use IC recently. I'm wonder how do you guy direct the IC that isn't grabbing? I tried to do the Fthrow CG but the enemy bounce off really far I can't reach it with the other IC -_-. Though I was able to do it sometime but I think it was just luck. I know timing is crucial but can you guys give me more in on this? and the Bthrow -> Fthrow CG too when I Bthrow the other IC is still facing the other way? And like in some of the CG you guys say to press grab quickly after the throw but when i do that my shield come up. What am I doing wrong please help? I'll post some vid if needed.

kennypoopoo

Smash Apprentice
You can also do down throw to squall hammer at low percent. P. D-throw N. Squall hammer P. Grab you can do it a couple times at lower percents and I believe the same thing with the blizzard. Not sure if those are chaingrabs but it will help you get a couple grabs in.

Top Bottom