• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Turnip Free-pull

phanna

Dread Phanna
BRoomer
YouTube Stream: Turnip Free-pull

This requires the "B-Stick" (set C-stick to Special), whereas "wave-specialing" of Lucas fame does not. If you follow up her standing turnaround animation with a turnip pull (down b-stick), you have free control of her left-right walk during the pull, as shown in the video. This was brought to my attention by YouTube user darkwarcloud.

To avoid any confusion, this new technique is completely unrelated to any of the following previously-known, useful techniques:

• Gaining backwards momentum by following up Peach's down-tilt with another move
  • Pulling a turnip as you run off an edge
  • Throwing items during a roll
Though I do the latter in the video, just because it works so well with this.

Basically, this is how peach should wh*re the c-stick down in Brawl.

Niko_K

Smash Master
This looks pretty **** sweet, though I dont know if Im gunna set my stick to B because of this...but it looks so good....grrr

BUNI

Smash Apprentice
Hmm it seems peach is getting better and better as people find out new tricks. I can only hope that my favorite princess has more tricks to be found out.

Morrigan

/!\<br>\¡/
wow, i think you might have just changed all peach users into B-stickers.
Lol, I agree on that. I may as well go and practice more B-Sticking and see what I can do.

This technique is awesome btw.

XERAMPELINAE

Smash Apprentice
Done it. I rely too much on on c-stick set on default/smash and preffer it over b-stick just for that kind of spacing (which is very good, BTW.) I should play with it a bit more, though.

Also (Sorry, but I'm sort of going off-topic), I've been hanging around the general Brawl Discussion for a while and have read quite a load of strong skeptical posts and opinions. I wonder if they are truly ignorant of these kind of early tricks that are being applied to advanced play already and the fact that new crazy stuff is discovered nearly every day (For Peach, at least.)
Mind if I come up with an ellaborate post and include that video?:) People would probably just argue that the game is even more broken. But , really, so many tricks have been found to achieve that kind of spacing with nearly all characters.

DarkWarCloud

Smash Journeyman
thanks indnkid209 of planetrenders for my sig.
you guys are welcome. i found this technique and came to the only guy who i know would make a video out of this. phanna, who freaking breaks games.
phanna, you didnt put all of its uses in the video, you can actually press left and then smash right for a really good approach and longer slide.
also, you can use this technique to go off of the ledge.. and cancel the animaton
i really hope that you guys can make good uses out of this.
i just want to know, is it practical?? will you guys use it?? etc. etc.
the other dark-war-cloud isnt me, he ripped my name a while ago :p.

SQKIsiggy

Smash Cadet
i will definitely try this next time i play
it certainly looks quite useful.
and if i can get used to max gting with A button (i use C-stick for now) it will definitely make turnipping better with edge cancels, and spacing...
^_^

Peachkid

Smash Champion
NNID
Peachkid
3DS FC
0791-2008-8754
after testing this out alittle i found out that you can do a tfp to a turnip cancel but the only thing is that it makes u midair jump after u walk of the edge

DarkWarCloud

Smash Journeyman
i will definitely try this next time i play
it certainly looks quite useful.
and if i can get used to max gting with A button (i use C-stick for now) it will definitely make turnipping better with edge cancels, and spacing...
^_^
it is almost physically impossible to do this with A.

after testing this out alittle i found out that you can do a tfp to a turnip cancel but the only thing is that it makes u midair jump after u walk of the edge
i said that earlier in the thread. if you do it right it doesnt make you do a midair jump, i think. ill see if i can do it without having to midair jump.

Peachkid

Smash Champion
NNID
Peachkid
3DS FC
0791-2008-8754
i said that earlier in the thread. if you do it right it doesnt make you do a midair jump, i think. ill see if i can do it without having to midair jump.
oh i feel like a idiot now -.- but i tested it out alittle more and you can do the tfp and tc (turnip cancel) and not double jump. just have to be fast

Morrigan

/!\<br>\¡/
As much as I'd like to B-stick, I can't seem to get used to it. Especially because of the jumps Peach makes when flicking the B-stick in midair.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
OK, how do you do this? I keep accidentally floating.

Can it be done with tap jump ON? I'm not sure I can get used to tap jump off for this if it's necessary.

FreakingMethodiC

Smash Journeyman
Premium
Yeah, im not getting it all too well either. It seems u need to press the C-stick on a slight angle becuase thats the only way i get her moving. And it's only slighly...

What exactly are you doing to get her to move that way. Explination wasn soo great. My bad :p

hotgarbage

Smash Lord
OK, how do you do this? I keep accidentally floating.

Can it be done with tap jump ON? I'm not sure I can get used to tap jump off for this if it's necessary.
Based on my understanding having the tap jump on shouldn't be a problem.

Yeah, im not getting it all too well either. It seems u need to press the C-stick on a slight angle becuase thats the only way i get her moving. And it's only slighly...

What exactly are you doing to get her to move that way. Explination wasn soo great. My bad :p
All you need to do is hit the joystick as if you were going to dash in the opposite direction. But instead of dashing hit the c-stick (set to specials) down pretty much right after you move the joystick. Be sure to hold the joystick in the direction you want to slide, otherwise it won't work.

If you do this out of a dash dance it goes further. I think there are some alterations of this that I haven't looked into.... but what I wrote are the basics. Good luck!

FreakingMethodiC

Smash Journeyman
Premium
It's ez to do while ya training. But it's pretty pain in the *** do consistently Vs a player. I got the timing i can do it now. But when ur in a rush u hit the directional too fast and dash instead of turn and when u hit B-Stick down u jump and get ur self into alot of ****.

Also with B-stick it prevents you from doing her backwards throw slide. You can still do it fowards but u cant throw it behind you. (maybe i just cant do it w/o c-stick iunno).

Not sure if i'll use it cus it could screw with my other characters, but it'll be fun to try for now :D.

Tis cool.

SQKIsiggy

Smash Cadet
@darkwarcloud
oh, i said i can get used to max gting

i meant glide toss (sorry for abbreviating that) i only glide toss with C stick now, since i havent practiced with just using A button enough

Niko_K

Smash Master
The thing is, this takes away some glide tossing combinations since you cannot use the c stick to perform them

Example:

You want to roll forwards and throw the turnip backwards, causing peach to turn around and throw the turnip. (joystick movement right, c stick movement left or vise versa)

And you cant do reverse glide toss, which is the best glide toss.

Though this does add to peach's mobility I just don't know if its quite worth it yet. Im going to fool around with it and see if it's right for me.

ugg1020

Smash Cadet
Maybe...

After much practice, this actually can be done with B specials.
Pressing the joystick lightly sidewards and downwards while pressing b with the right timing will make her turn around and pull a turnip at the same time, causing the same wavedash. If you can really time it you can move the joystick more sideways while she is wavedashing to get the same amount of distance. This may take a lot of precision and light fingers but it certainly isn't impossible at all. After enough practice I can do this marginally well, (like 75% of the time). Can someone else try this and see if this technique of doing the free-pull is viable in the heat of battle?

Edit: you can also do this by going nearly diagonally down (but still making her turn around) then pressing down, then sideways again.

FreakingMethodiC

Smash Journeyman
Premium
The thing is, this takes away some glide tossing combinations since you cannot use the c stick to perform them

Example:

You want to roll forwards and throw the turnip backwards, causing peach to turn around and throw the turnip. (joystick movement right, c stick movement left or vise versa)

And you cant do reverse glide toss, which is the best glide toss.

Though this does add to peach's mobility I just don't know if its quite worth it yet. Im going to fool around with it and see if it's right for me.
I believe i mentioned this about above, excpet that u put it much, much better then i did :D.
Way to make me feel stupid.

It's also a pain in the *** to do under pressure, you gotta slowly turn around w/o dashing or u jump when u down c-stick and well... u are in for it. It's also can get pretty predictable, my freind was over for an hour started to see them comming and mearly dash attacked or Short hop'd my *** as i pulled a turnip regardless. you just gotta judge the distance.

DarkWarCloud

Smash Journeyman
After much practice, this actually can be done with B specials.
Pressing the joystick lightly sidewards and downwards while pressing b with the right timing will make her turn around and pull a turnip at the same time, causing the same wavedash. If you can really time it you can move the joystick more sideways while she is wavedashing to get the same amount of distance. This may take a lot of precision and light fingers but it certainly isn't impossible at all. After enough practice I can do this marginally well, (like 75% of the time). Can someone else try this and see if this technique of doing the free-pull is viable in the heat of battle?

Edit: you can also do this by going nearly diagonally down (but still making her turn around) then pressing down, then sideways again.
orly?
and, i have been playing a bunch of people lately with peach, and it is easy for me to do consistently.
you just have to have picked up fast finger skills from melee, like waveshining.
also, your description of how to do it, you can't control the direction you go without the cstick, you just go the direction you smash after you press diagonal.

Niko_K

Smash Master
He is correct. I just practiced it for about 15 minutes and it is very possible without b sticking.

What you pretty much have to do is TILT the joystick inbetween 9 and 6 o clock or 3 and 6 o clock depending on which way you are facing. Then press b as late as possible after the joystick input...Though at the moment pulling this off in the heat of battle seems kind of shifty.

I can make a video tutorial if needed.

Niko_K

Smash Master
I dont think the forward turnip pull goes 1/3'rd of FD

From the edge the farthest Im getting it is just a bit past the 2nd half triangle.

The farthest I can do it with B special is 2/3'rds of the middle triangle.

DarkWarCloud

Smash Journeyman
ok, ill explain more indepth.
it takes some practice but you will get it.
smash the opposite direction of which you are facing, then smash the other direction and press the cstick down at the same time. peach shouldnt do the full turnaround animation and should just slide straight forward and pull out a turnip. she slides REALLY far.

exidid

Smash Journeyman
I don't want to change to B sticking, but I can't do this with B-specials. I need a video tutorial or a really good explanation for someone like me.

Nasanieru

Smash Journeyman
Nice find on the application!
Seems like different styles of Peach might evolve from the different controller setups, interesting. . .

Top Bottom