• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Combat Walking - brawl technique

MopherRabbit

Smash Rookie
I know some people know about this, though I am not sure what they call it. I believe it should be called the combat walk, as it is using attacks, "combat, to move, "walk", across the stage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXmiI1QEWeo

that is the link to my video about it.
Here is a breif discription for how to do the combat walk. Hold A, release than quickly press and hold again. Keep doing that so you get a fluid motion of your first attack in your a combo and your second attack with your a combo. The whole thing is explained in the video. Only works with sonic, ike, zss and squirtle.

I'd really appreciate it if someone posts the real name for the technique. Thanks

1HKO

Smash Apprentice
I've got a name for it the "Jab Momentum Walk"(don't actually know what freakishly strange bug in the physics this is, so for now I'm blaming it on momentum). I don't think this will be useful for actually hitting anyone, more to try and hit a previously launched opponent that is too far away from you. Nice find but I can't think of anything this is useful for. In general any time I could do this I would rather just do that dash attack into f-smash combo(this actually might have a use for marth since b-sticking seems pretty good with him).

ConnorTheKid

Treat Yo' Self
Premium
Psycho ****** and I have known about this for a while >_> nice job if you found it yourself though. To avoid flaming, I'M NOT SAYING I FOUND OUT COMBAT WALKING lol

MopherRabbit

Smash Rookie
lol. I'll try. On the note of it being useless, it pretty much is. But the thing is you can reach to the farthest of your attacks range. Once the enemy is in range you can hit them. It works if the enemy doesn't know what is going on, but it is very easy to figure out. And yes it does invite shield grabbing

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
Not only were attacks that moved you forward in melee, but there are more than the four you named in brawl. I know that fox's moves him forward slightly if you delay the second hit. I really don't think this should even be called an "advanced technique," as it's really just basic game mechanics, and the only time it seems it would actually be useful is when you're right next to your opponent, which you would be in range to use the jab combo anyway. It doesn't look to be a particularly fast form of movement, and using a jab combo for spacing doesn't seem too reliable, either, considering you can't do anything out of it except another part of the jab combo until it ends. Meh. It seems highly situational, and all it really is, is being aware of the properties of your jab.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
I say it makes a really nice taunt, but thats where the possiblities end

payasofobia

Smash Champion
could someone tell me why is this usefull?

i mean, any character could jump it and attack, or just shoot a projectile to stop it...

TKD+ITA+Mar=

Smash Ace
Personally, I don't care very much if it's useful, it's a glitch, and as people are starting to find more glitches, I get a small hope that Brawl can become a deeper game.

MopherRabbit

Smash Rookie
As I said in my last post, it is pretty much useless. But it looks cool (my opinion) and it is fun to do. Maybe someone will find some use for it. But as it stands right now, it is just something to do for kicks

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
i mean, any character could jump it and attack, or just shoot a projectile to stop it...
You just got me thinking. Most jabs actually cancel out a ton of projectiles. Methinks that if of course this is the case for Ike, Squirtle, ZSS, and Sonic, that this would allow them to deal with projectile spam a lot more easily.

Vro

Smash Lord
It's been known that certain attacks propel a character forward. Marth's dtilt moves him slightly forward as well.

SlutMachine

Smash Journeyman
Metaknight can do that with his down tilt if u use it over and over...I think Marth may be able to do it too. My friend does it to me with Metakight sometimes to edgeguard me.

MopherRabbit

Smash Rookie
You just got me thinking. Most jabs actually cancel out a ton of projectiles. Methinks that if of course this is the case for Ike, Squirtle, ZSS, and Sonic, that this would allow them to deal with projectile spam a lot more easily.
That is actually what I was gonna test tonight. You could essintaily walk right at the person projectile spamming you. So it could have a purpose. Also I've found that it is a good suprise tactic, but again, it is really easy to figure out.

MopherRabbit

Smash Rookie
ya but squirtles combat walk is faster than his normal walk (atleast I think it is) and I'm alos guessing his crawl

right I tried out blocking toon links arrows with Ike and squirtles combat walk. Now I was doing it with one person and two controlers so it was kinda difficult. Results were that squirtle got owned and that Ike can do it, just he got hit once. More testing is needed

MopherRabbit

Smash Rookie
hahaha I've used combat walk in a few matches now. It is a beast. I'll hopefully have the match vids up by the end of the week to show all you combat walk haters what I mean

fkacyan

Smash Hero
If you catch somebody in one of these it works really well.

And getting somebody in a jab combo is really easy. The issue is timing this properly across a stage.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I guess it could be used to space yourself quickly where a dash is too dangerous? (just saying...)

Xyvir

Smash Rookie
I don't care how ineffective or prone to getting sheild-grabbed this technique is, it's so funny that I intend to use it!!!

cAm8ooo

Smash Lord
There might be a small use for it, but it looks like your just going to end up hurting yourself if you do it a lot.

MopherRabbit

Smash Rookie
ike's really can't be sheild grabbed. His sword is too long ranged for that. If you play a guy who is just dashing at you then this is a great move. Espically if they don't learn. With Ike u can even cover the area right over your head making it hard to get over you

Eager Cadet

Smash Rookie
This doesn't really add to the discussion but this tech reminds me a lot of that one Simpson's episode where Bart was twirling his arms and Lisa was kicking towards each other.

St. Viers

Smash Champion
Mopher...ike's first parts of the jab are the punch, kick....it's easy to grab him out of it ^_^

Bud

Smash Journeyman
OK, ive been using this for like 20 minutes now and I must say...... It comes in handy, especially with ike. This technique is really cool in suprising moments, I use it when people are getting back up and it deflects their recovery attack. good find, Im loving the all the recently discovered things im reading.

MopherRabbit

Smash Rookie
Mopher...ike's first parts of the jab are the punch, kick....it's easy to grab him out of it ^_^
Ya but the thing is it cycles through the three attacks quite quickly. Right when your opponent comes in range of your long sword, Ike will begin to cycle through his combo until he uses his sword. Consider he only has to do a max of two attack move to get to the sword and also taking into consideration that he gets to hit "air" (which we all know makes the attack go much faster than if he has to hit through a body first) for his second hit of the combo makes his sword come out practily as soon as the enemy is in range. I haven't been sheild grabbed while doing this yet and I highly doubt I'll be shelid grabbed alot.

I'll give some examples for its use relating to previous posts on sheild grabbing it or jumping over it.

Frist lets say your opponent decides to jump over your head (just a little over your head) and use their dair. Well Ike will start swinging his sword when they come close to his head.

Second say your opponent just jumps over your head compeltely to get behind you. Well I'm prett sure most off us would just turn around to face our opponent or do a bair short hop to hit them or something.

Third say your opponent is trying to get up close to you with rolls while your doing the combat walk. You don't have to keep doing it. Same goes with if they are sheild grabbing. You don't have to keep combat walking. It isn't that hard to then fight your opponent like you would have before you found/knew of this tech. But I promise you your opponent will have a difficult time sheild grabbing you, but even if they don't you should still be able to use your old style. This tech is good, but no person will competley depend on it.

Now for ledge camping. This kinda reminds me of Falco's delfector ledge camp strat. It my not do enough damage but it cancels an opponents jump or two. With squirtle this is very effictive as he will actually hang right over the ledge. If your doing squirltes netural a combo right on an edge he will actually put himself in thin air while still preforming his attacks. Now the use of the combat walk here seems useless but it could do two things. Bring you into your 3rd attack of the combo when if you just held a you'd probably only get into the second attack before your enemy fell back down. Also it could effect your opponent pyshicology. (sorry bout that spelling) If you see squirtle hanging over the ledge holing his first hit of the combo you may think that you can go through it or that it won't have enough range to hit you when you attempt to recover. When you combat walk squirltle throws his whole body over the ledge. This may make your opponent think that he must go over or under you, as you will just hit him if he even gets close to you. If he choses over then just walk him with a smash. I also think this may be able to (w/e you guys call it when two peoples attacks collide) cancel recovries such as falco and fox's b sides.

So ya try to combat walk. It has effictive uses. Don't just sit there going it could be stopped easily or when do you use this without even trying it. I think I've given reason enough for an Ike or squirtle player to use it.

Pure-???

Smash Journeyman
Interesting, but you move slow as hell while doing it, and even if you do find the edge of your range and all that, you're still only using the standard A combo.

R i p

Smash Cadet
Personally, I don't care very much if it's useful, it's a glitch, and as people are starting to find more glitches, I get a small hope that Brawl can become a deeper game.
I know you are probably a troll, but it would be considered an exploit not a glitch. Exploit is doing something the devs didn't intend using the system, a glitch is breaking the system. Many combos in SSB could be consider minor exploits.

Top Bottom