• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Ultimate Ice Climbers Guide

Nintendogs

Smash Journeyman
The Ultimate Ice Climbers Guide: Created by Nintendogs

Table of Contents:
1. Ice Climbers Introduction/guide
2. IC matchups
3. IC Chaingrabs
4. IC De-syncs
5. What to do if...
6. IC videos
7. Combos that would work if you were fighting a complete n00b
8. AI info/oddities
9. The stupidity of Nana
10. Q&A
11. Special thanks

The Ice Climbers Introduction
Credit: Delphiki

IC Introduction, An Introduction to Competitive Brawl Ice Climbers, by Delphiki
http://www.allisbrawl.com/forum/topic.aspx?id=6868

Hello everyone, and welcome to my Brawl ICs guide.

Before I begin with the real substance, there are a couple of points I would like to make. The first, and most important, being that this is not intended as an end-all resource. I am arrogant enough for the modesty to say that there are things I do now know about this game, and I do not pretend to know everything. I will put down here everything that I know, focusing mostly on aggressive strategies and the uses of the Ice Climbers moveset. Second, I would like to say that although I don't know everything, the purpose of this guide is to guide players to use the most powerful techniques available. While we don't know all that the Ice Climbers are capable of, and without a full understanding of their faults, we can still use what we know to achieve the best results.

The goal is not to be fancy, flashy, or unique. The goal is effectiveness.

Finally, this guide is not intended to teach you how to control the Ice Climbers. It is only intended to teach you an effective style of IC play. This guide is my Ice Climbers technique, my school. Whether or not you can succesfully apply the techniques herein is dependent upon the level of dedication you have to learning to master the Ice Climbers. Once you can fight with them habitually (that is, when you do not always need to second-guess their capabilities and your own), you can learn how to apply my technique on your enemies.

Section 1 - Moveset

We'll start with a quick coverage of each move. Uses will be covered more thoroughly later on.

The Ice Climbers have a very diverse moveset, though unfortunately there are a few moves which are very not very useful, or simply not worth the effort required to use them.

Jab - 5%, 6% (2 hits) / 3%, 4%

The basic 'A' attack. Although it deals a decent amount of damage, it is not at all useful for comboing or approaching. Although it may be possible to trap someone against a wall, if you got the timing of the jabs seperated a certain way. Though that is incredibly unlikely.

F-tilt - 17% / 10%

Decent in both damage and spacing. It is good if you don't have time for a F-smash or Bair. Great for a quick desynch starter.

D-tilt - 11% / 6%

This move can be used for semi-spiking if you get your opponent near the edge at a good percent. Against anyone with bad recovery, it is preferable to a Smash attack which would send the enemy at a high trajectory.

U-tilt - 18% / 12%

The ICs most damaging tilt. It is both easy to hit with, and can be followed with an aerial pretty much every time. It comes out a lot faster than U-smash, but it is also a lot laggier. Don't spam this, but it is great for building up damage. Also, it has really good priority if you are being approached from above.

F-smash - 18% / 13%

Although this attack is strong in both damage and knockback, it has a lot of flaws. Not too fast or laggy, but it lacks range and is easily punishable since the hitbox doesn't last very long. Best used for KOs - don't use it too often for mere damage, because you don't want the move to get too stale.

D-smash - 39% / 10%

The 40-damage down smash. ^_^ I'm not sure on the exact percents, but fully charged this attack does around 49-54% ( 53%, corrected by Nintendogs) , and uncharged it does as much as 39%. On top of that, it comes out quickly and can kill (though not as well as the other smashes). It is obviously great for racking up damage, even when it is stale. Not so good with a single Climber, but with both this is one of their best attacks. The 10% with one Climber is because Popo does not get the hitlag necessary for the return hit.

U-smash - 21% / 12%

One of your best moves for killing off the top. Average damage (which for ICs is around 20, I think o_0) and has decent range both above and in front. However this move is quite hard to pull off. It is not easy to combo into it, and it has no range in the back, unless you are facing a really big enemy. It is easy to hit with while techchasing, meaning you may be able to do things like D-tilt, techchase, U-smash. This attack will pretty much always kill by 140%, and sometimes as early as 90.

Neutral B - 6% / 3%

Ice Blocks. These are quite the pest. Great for annoying your opponent and forcing him to approach. In combination with Blizzards and Squalls, this trifecta from hell can create a great and unpredictable strategy of spam, spacing, and approaches. Unfortunately each block does very little in terms of damage (next to nothing), and they are quite laggy. However the startup is good, and between the seperation of the blocks and shorthopping into them, you will rarely be punished for them.

Another great use of Ice Blocks is edgeguarding after a F-throw. P-F-throw, N-Ice Block, P-Ice Block...etc... can steal a character's jumps (no matter how many they have) and force them to Up+B. Think Pit ^_^. This also works great against anyone with a strictly vertical recovery, such as Luigi and Kirby - steal their jumps, then edgehog. Game!

Forward B - 31% / 18%

Squall. One of the Climbers best approaches when together, but useless Solo (it can be shieldgrabbed when alone). Does decent damage, and ***** shields. Even if your opponent blocks, there is a chance they will be dumb about it and drop early, and if not they will be slow on the reaction of the move ending, and thereby open for punishment - out of your attack! This is a keystone in my ICs game. However one has to learn to fight without it. For all her valor, Nana usually dies first.

Down B - 34% / 16%

Blizzard. Again, this attack is great for pressuring, vs. shields, spacing, and approaching. Also, like Ice Blocks, it can be used well on defense. Not many attacks get through the Blizzard, and it does above 20 damage if you hit with it at close range with both ICs. Also, it is like the Squall where your enemy may not react quickly to the attack ending, and you can get away with something like dash attack -> Uair. A desynched Blizzard is great for getting grabs - it has long range and pins your opponent.

Up B - 17%

Belay. Your third jump. It is a tether recovery if the ledge is above you and available. If not, Nana is thrown up into the air and pulls Popo behind her. Popo gets much more height than Nana when this happens. While usually quite basic, there are a couple of advanced techniques you can do with Belay. Most of these are as of yet, completely unknown - thus they will often catch your opponent completely offguard. First off, as with all tether recoveries, it counts as edgehogging as soon as Nana grabs the ledge. Second, Nana is an amazing hitbox if you do not tether. She does only 12 or so damage, but it is more powerful in knockback your U-air. What that means is that it can be comboed into out of Uair, getting kills as early as 70-110%, depending on weight.

F-air - 22% (24%, corrected by Nintendogs) / 12%

A good ranged, high priority, aerial. Doesn't combo at all, but can follow U-air, resulting in a total of 35+ damage and either edgeguarding, or 'floorguarding' - preventing your opponent from touching ground. Also, the end of Nana's F-air is a Meteor. The best uses of it in that aspect are grabbing near the edge (with Popo), followed by P-F-throw or P-D-throw + N-Fair. This can be Meteor-cancelled of course, but that rarely happens, and either way your opponent is offstage with a pair of Climbers waiting patiently for blood.

B-air - 19% / 11 %

A very fast aerial which does light damage. However, this attack auto-cancels for most of it's duration (after the hitbox). This means it can be easily followed by lots of attacks, provided you can get to your opponent fast enough. This attack can also kill quite well if it has not already grown stale. Usually, this is your best aerial option for killing, with the exception of U-air -> Belay.

D-air - 13% / 8%

Ugh. I seriously do not like the way this attack works. The D-air is good for breaking out of combos, and also for quickly changing your speed while falling, due to it's auto fast-fall property. Unfortunately this attack does not auto-cancel, and is very laggy. So even if you do use it to break out of a combo (dealing a good 12-18 or so damage in the process), there is still a chance you will be punished. I only use this attack when someone is attempting to keep me in the air. It has decent priority, so you will usually hit with at least one Climber. Also, it may pop your opponent up above you, giving a quick turn of the table. Overall, very situational.

N-air- 12% / 8%

This attack is great for comboing with one Climber. Down throw combos into it, and after the Nair you can sometimes get another grab, or a F-smash. On faster-falling characters, you can probably get a D-tilt. This is great for characters who don't have good recovery, or who are edgeguarded easily (especially tether recoveries).

U-air - 18% / 9%

One of the ICs best aerials. Although it can't kill, the U-air combos out of many attacks (including itself!) and combos into F-air, B-air, and Up+B. It also has very good priority, and comes out quickly with very little aerial lag. But be careful when SHing it - the landing lag is quite bad if not auto-canceled.

Throws -

F-throw - 8
D-throw - 6
B-throw - 6.5
U-throw - 6

**Okay, all of these damage percentages are fresh (first time used in a match), against a human DeDeDe, standing still, with the exception of U-tilt, where DeDeDe jumped up and fell, then I used U-tilt so that the hammers started near the middle of him for max damage. Also, Blizzard was short hopped, so that both Climbers would hit.

Section 2 - Approaching & Positioning

This section focuses on the most important element of IC play. Fortunately, it is also very dynamic in most circumstances and matchups, allowing the skilled player a number of possibilities in any situation.

The Ice Climbers have a very unique style when it comes to approaching. This is because all of their approaches are stoppable. If you know they are grabbing, spotdodge and punish, and everything else can be shielded. All but two attacks can be easily beaten by spacing, but even those two - Squall and Blizzard, can be defeated by an opponent who knows what they are doing. For example, Marth can easily beat them both with F-smash.

The key to approaching is spacing, unpredictability, and position. By 'spacing' I mean left-to-right spacing - you have to stay just out of range of the opponent. This usually means a good amount out of your own range. Positioning means being aware of the stage and where your opponent will be moving next.

There are three moves that create a wonderful amount of pressure on your enemy. This is the 'trifecta from hell' I mentioned earlier. Squall, Blizzard, and Ice Blocks. Not only are they pesky and unsettling, but they help create movement locks - your opponent is forced to move into a different position. Not only will this eventually force him to the edge of the stage (if he plays defensively), but the same attacks can be used to retreat as quickly as you decide to do so.

To begin such a painful pressure game, it is best to desynch. The obvious easiest way to do this is to begin the game desynched, with either an N-Ice Block, or if an Ice Block would be useless, N-Blizzard. The Blizzard lasts longer, so it is a bit better because it gives Popo time to close the gap between you and the enemy before going into his first attack.

After desynching, it is good to alternate Blizzards, F-airs, and blocks to create a moving barrier which forces your opponent to give up his positioning or get too close and leave himself open for a Squall. The critical aspect of all this is the small boost of speed at the beginning of the Squall. This allows you to close gaps and begin hitting the opponent while the other Climber is finishing up their latest pressuring attack. As soon as they finish, you can run in and begin to capitalize with grabs or other combos.

A quick note - whereas the Squall is a physical attack, the Blizzard is a projectile attack. This means that their usefulness is sometimes subjective to the enemy character. Lots of characters have some ability to repel projectiles. In this situation, it is good to short hop, begin to fall (do not fast fall), and just before you land in front of the enemy, use either a Blizzard or Squall. Be very careful to not follow any patterns with which attack you use. This is the only way to keep up maximum unpredictability and usefulness of these attacks. Blizzard is punishable from behind, and Squall can be outspaced, so if your opponent knows which attack will be used, you will be punished for it. Therefore you cannot let an opponent's absorption or reflection technique scare you away from Blizzard. Even if once or twice in a 3-stock match they use your Blizzard against you, that is much better than limiting your character just because of their mere threat.

Section 3 - Combos, Chaingrabbing, and Grab Combos

Whenever an opportunity presents itself, you must capitalize completely and unrelentlessly. As I stated in the introduction, there is no room for fanciness when you are facing a good opponent, and as such you have to do away with any habits of using less effective, but flashy or 'neat' combos.

Unfortunately, the most effective Ice Climber combos are also the hardest - they are their basic grab infinites: P-grab, C-smash, N-regrab, P-regrab, C-smash etc.....until you can kill them with a smash. This is almost always the most effective combo. The only other combo you would wish to use is alternating regrabs to the edge of the stage, and Meteoring with N-F-air.

The largest difficulties here are the difficulties of landing a grab, and the technical ability necessary to get the chaingrabs correct consistently. If you are unsure that you will be able to land a difficult CG or grab combo, then it is probably a good idea to go for something easier. Basically, the goal is to do the maximum amount of damage that you can, even that means you have to do a bit less than is possible. But that doesn't mean neglect training ^_^. However in a tournament setting, when every hit matters, getting a decent amount of damage is a lot better than messing up while trying to get a lot.

When it comes to non-grab combos, the ICs don't have much. But these are the combos that a Solo Climber relies on the most. Your basic combo attacks all combo in the same direction - up. Dash attack, D-throw (sometimes B-throw), U-air, Things like F-tilt and D-tilt don't exactly combo (your enemy will recover as quickly as you do), so it comes down to what their reaction is, how you exploit it, and your foreknowledge of it. B-throw also acts like this - if you know they will either DI in, or that they will jump afterwards, you can stop them from hitting ground. Also, if you throw them off the stage, you will get an easy edgeguard if they DI backwards (from the direction you grabbed in).

Another easy approach/combo is Squall. The last hit of a Double Squall pops your enemy into the air similar to a dash attack. This, and any dash attack, d-throw, or U-air can be followed with F-air or Up+B (sometimes B-air works as well, but rarely does that situation come up - you would have to be comboing with your back to the opponent, or be very close to them). Use these for damage and maybe a kill if their percent is just right to be both comboed and killed. Remember though - Solo Squall can be shieldgrabbed.

Finally, a quick combo with a Solo Climber - D-throw, Nair, D-throw, Nair... this can happen a couple times in a row. I think it is escapable (things like Metaknight's Nair can probably break out), but you'll at least want to try it until they start getting out. Remember - if it's working well, spam it until it doesn't. Also, Nair can be replaced with Fair to end the combo, and the grabs can be replaced with a lot of different attacks - F-smash for example, or if they don't jump you may be able to get that elusive D-tilt.

Section 4 - Defense or 'Camping'

As you may have noticed, the Ice Climbers' aggressive game revolves around a few tactics. If, for whatever reason, these fail to work, the best option is to resort to making them come to you. I put camping in the title of the section to help people get over the stigma of it. Yes, some people hate camping. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't do it (see my blog for my whole idea on that). If your approaches aren't working, it's time to test out theirs.

Camping is best done while desynched. How you desynch is up to you. Some of the quickest and easiest are pivots, dash dances, and Squall desynchs. Also, there is always the starting or spawn desynch. Once desynched, you want to create a pressure wall, pretty much the same as an offensive one. The key difference, though, is that you want to coax your opponent to advance, setting himself up (why do the hard stuff when your enemy does it for you? ^_^). To do that, you want to leave temporary holes. So start using smaller attacks, like suddenly doing P-F-tilt, N-Ice Block (short hopped), P-Nair....etc.. It's best not to use constant Blizzards, because that will make your enemy much more cautious. What you want to do is use these weak, short ranged attacks to create false openings. A constantly shifting wall of hammers and ice can be very confusing to anyone who doesn't play ICs, or doesn't know them well. As anyone who uses pistoning knows (pistoning is constantly using alternating F-smashes) - one Climber attacking does not equal lag.

I have not yet found a very reliable way to camp with one IC. Although one thing is already covered, in that the opponent will almost always play aggressively. It seems they just can't resist attacking a defenseless baby. You can use this to your advantage, but Popo does not have much when it comes to spacing ability. Blizzard and Ice Blocks are still effective, but not so much. And by taking away Squall approaches, it becomes very difficult to close in to do any damage. Overall you have to be very careful about your attack choice, as it becomes very difficult to both control space and keep yourself out of punishable lag, all while attempting to force an opening. If you can succesfully deal 50+ damage, you are in a huge advantage. Even if you can't nail a KO move, you are a lot closer to taking that stock, and odds are that you will land one shortly after respawning.

Section 5 - Desynching

When it comes to desynching, the most important questions are "How do I desynch?" and "What do I do once desynched?" The second question is basically whatever you would normally be doing, simply faster, and with less lag. Desynching sacrifices mobility for speed and fluidity. It allows you to reduce the lag after every attack down to nothing, and allows you to choose to start a new attack (or motion) before the first is done!

There are many different ways to desynch, to start continuous desynchs. There are so many different ways to desynch that many of them are either very situational or obselete. Mastery of desynching means knowing what desynchs you can start at any given time, and also the ability to recognize when it would be beneficial. Remember desynching is not necessary - there are skilled players who only desynch to do grab combos.

Currently, the most common desynchs are the spawn desynch and grabs. Grabs are by far the Ice Climbers' most powerful combos. So, the goal of a desynch should be, if not a grab, some combo/strategy that gains kills from a single opportunity or severely limits your opponent's ability. Either complete safety or a sure kill.

Common desynch tactics include:

* Using one Climber to advance and space attacks, and another to cover the first Climber. This is a common doubles tactics, using one player to poke and prod, while the other covers openings and punishes the enemy's action. The biggest difficulty in this, to me, is controlling space well enough to quickly cover the enemies' options with a not-very-mobile Climber.
* Defensive pressure. As described earlier, use of Blizzards, Squalls, and Ice Blocks to advance can quickly pin your opponent and lead to a grab. This is very hard to defeat by many characters, although the Climbers leave holes in the top, meaning any character with a fast, high jump may be able to sneak past them easily. Also, many projectiles can defeat this, notably Snake's grenades, and thrown bombs.
* Offensive pressure. By using both Climbers to attack alternately, with either the same or different attacks. This is not as safe as defensive pressuring, but doesn't fall victim to the same counters. Common attacks to use for this include dash attacks, Nairs, Uairs, and tilts for cover. In addition, dash attacking into certain projectiles can desynch the climbers can lead to huge opportunities.

There are many possible situational desynchs. These include pivots, Squalls, dashes, and landing desynchs. Between the four of these, a player can desynch during most motions. Recently, Foxy K discovered that you can in fact desynch from nearly every one of the Ice Climbers' attacks (you can find that thread and video here). The only known exceptions are Ice Blocks, Blizzards, and (probably) jabs. This means that we can desynch from dashing, standing, attacking, squall (approaching!), and landing. The only thing that leaves is jumping! Keep in mind that you are quite vulnerable if you full hop anywhere near your opponent. If you do, and find the opportunity you jumped for disappearing, it is probably a good idea to cover your front with Fairs. Just make sure to autocancel them.

Section 6 - General Dangers and Advice

(I will take submissions for this section! If you have something you would like added, let me know! ^_^)

* First of all, be sure to switch up your Squalls and Blizzards. Not only against projectile-defeating characters, either. There are several other differences, such as the usefulness of rolls, and the effectiveness of being attacked from above. The different ranges of the attacks can also be used to your advantage.
* Remember that you can desynch out of Squalls! I'm not sure, but I think it can also be done even if you are hitting their shield. So you can do things like N-doublejab, P-grab. Just in case they try to drop their shield or roll away while Popo is going for the grab.
* Using autocancelled B-airs is useful, but only against characters that don't have huge disjointed hitboxes, and characters without projectiles. That is a small group of the cast, unfortunately. Wario comes to mind. Also, if you desynch them you might be able to connect with consecutive Bairs at low percents.
* Whenever you use D-smash, both during chaingrabs and otherwise, be sure to space it correctly to get maximum damage.

Afterword

I.. think....I should apologize. I know that was a gigantic wall of text. Normally I wouldn't care, but I know that it's no fun sitting through a guide and wanting to get up and play halfway through. So, a thank you goes out to everyone who stuck it through ^_^. I commend your patience *tips hat*. Throughout all of my playing Melee I never read a single guide. I also watched very few videos - nearly all of my experience came from live tournament play.

Now, if any of you have something to add, please free to suggest. If it's something I didn't cover, I may update this, and if I am flat-out wrong about something, I would be more than happy to know. If so, I will add whatever you have to say and credit you for it. Thank you all for your support, and I hope you find this guide useful!

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Updates -

4/21/08 - Added info on Nair, Blizzard, Ice Block, F-tilt. Added Foxy K's desynch stuffs. See Foxy's Fantastique Ice Climbers Discovery. Also added the Desynch section. Added fresh damage percentages.

4/14/08 - Wrote the guide, and posted.[/quote]

Ice Climbers Match-Up Thread

Credit: Corner Trap

5- Heavy Advantage
4- Advantage
3- Even
2- Disadvantage
1- Heavy Disadvantage

Bowser- 5
Captain Falcon- 4
Charizard- 4
Diddy Kong- 3
Donkey Kong- 5
Falco- 3
Fox- 3
Game & Watch- 2
Ganondorf- 5
Ike- 4
Ivysaur- 5
Jigglypuff- 4
King Dedede- 4
Kirby- 3
Link- 3
Lucario- 3
Lucas- 3
Luigi- 3
Mario- 5
Marth- 2
Meta Knight- 1
Ness- 3
Peach- 4
Pikachu- 2
Pikman & Olimar- 3
Pit- 2
R.O.B.- 2
Samus- 3
Sheik- 3
Snake- 2
Sonic- 3
Squirtle- 3
Toon Link- 3
Wario- 3
Wolf- 3
Yoshi- 5
Zelda- 2
Zero Suit Samus- 2

A different way to put it:

Bowser- Good 7/3
Captain Falcon- Fair 6/4
Charizard- Fair 6/4
Diddy Kong- Good 7/3
Donkey Kong- Fair 5/5
Falco- Fair 5/5
Fox- Fair 6/4

Game & Watch- Fair 4/6

Quote:
Originally Posted by billythegoat View Post
Try to use your desyncs as a way to force him to come to you. If your G+W player is much like mine then he will try using his B-air as his approach for the most part, as it has little lag, can almost destroy a whole shield, and then shield pokes you all with little to almost no lag. try to roll behind him if he tries this. If spaced correctly you will end up far enough behind him soon enough to get your grab off. Now I'm not so sure about this though, but I think that if both climbers are synced and shielding then it puts enough hit stun to his b-air that you can shield grab him during it. Mr. G+W may use his d-air instead, If he is far enough above you may try the up-B, Nana should out prioritize his key. You could also try using u-air although this usually results in both of you being hit, not the best trade off. What I usually end-up doing is simply trying to roll away and mounting and offense from the air with either a SH F-air or SH Blizzard.
Hope this helps a little, and sorry if it doesn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binx View Post
If game and watch fairs just let go of your shield as soon as you can and grab him or wait for him to spot dodge and then grab him and chain throw and he dies, if he dairs same thing, if he bacons then ice block, if he bairs I don't know because I have no idea how the new hitbox works, but if its like melee then you should be able to let down your shield and then grab or forward smash.

If he is above you dont do anything until you see what he does, if he starts DIing away then you can either dash attack or if you think he will fake and DI towards you, then you can up smash, if you think he will fall and airdodge then grab him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billythegoat View Post
Just some stuff to add about what Binx said, Mr.G+W's new D-air knocks you to far to get your shield grab off, and the new B-air sends out a hit box upon landing which makes a little difficult to punish during what little lag it has; so I doubt you could land a F-smash. Other then that very good stuff Binx .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedsk8er View Post
As a GaW/IC main from both Melee and brawl, I can say that GaW mains aren't gonna Fair approach anymore simply because there's no L-cancelling and Fair has way too much lag. Fair is strictly a KO move now.

Also, I only use Chef to intercept someone in the air.

Bair is pretty much the same in Brawl, honestly. The move always sheild-stabbed in Melee simply because of the multiple hits in the air and then it had a ground hit. Difference is, the individual hits deal more sheild damage and the ground hit hits MUCH harder. Bair is **** near unstoppable now. If I see a GaW approaching me, I tend to SHblizzard as it has more range than any of IC's moves. Also, if you SH->FF->Blizzard as soon as Popo touches the ground, only Nana will Blizzard, allowing Popo to follow-up, depending on their reaction. If the GaW sees the Blizzard coming, I THINK that they can bucket it. Oil Panic is BEAST NOW. No matter WHAT you absorb, it always at least sets up for an edgeguard. I was mistaken when I once said that GaW can bucket Blocks though. He could in Melee but not now.

Belay HURTS even more now and chances are, if the GaW is above you getting juggled, they'll try to Dair back to the ground. Nana is invincible during Belay, if I'm not mistaken. I think Belay will kill GaW at like 70-80%.

Note: I'm bad at this game so take what I say with a grain of salt.

Also, am I wrong for thinking that Jiggz is still an IC counter? Jiggz is one of my mains too and she seems like she still has the advantage.
Ganondorf- Good 7/3
Ice Climbers- Fair 5/5
Ike- Fair 6/4
Ivysaur- Good 7/3
Jigglypuff- Fair 6/4
King Dedede- Fair 6/4
Kirby- Fair 6/4
Link- Fair 6/4
Lucario- Fair 6/4
Lucas- Fair 5/5
Luigi- Fair 5/5
Mario- Good 7/3
Marth- Fair 4/6
Meta Knight- Bad 3/7
Ness- Fair 6/4
Peach- Fair 6/4
Pikachu- Bad 3/7
Pikman & Olimar- Fair 6/4
Pit- Fair 4/6
R.O.B.- Fair 5/5
Samus- Fair 6/4
Sheik- Fair 6/4
Snake- Fair 4/6
Sonic- Fair 6/4
Squirtle- Fair 6/4
Toon Link- Fair 5/5
Wario- Fair 6/4
Wolf- Fair 5/5
Yoshi- Good 7/3
Zelda- Fair 5/5
Zero Suit Samus- Fair 4/6

Good- 6
Fair- 31
Bad- 2

Official ChainGrab Thread

All further discussion relating to the IC's CG's will be handled in this thread. If you discover a CG and I deem that it's useful then I'll post it up here.

I. Index

I. Index
II. Chain Grabs
III. Grab Finishers
IV. Threads
V. Videos

II. Chain Grabs

Dthrow
You can repeat Dthrows until a certain percent that varies amongst characters, and it only requires one IC.

Dthrow into Fair
Just like repeated Dthrows this only works until a certain percent that varies amongst characters. If the opponent is still standing you can regrab, but if the opponent hits the floor then you can do a follow up. You can also use this to spike the opponent while next to the ledge.

Alternating throws
This is an infinite that works on everyone, but the timing is strict and varies on your opponent and their percent. Note that throw animations last longer on bigger characters, and that characters will be hit faster out of your grabs at higher percents. Simply do a Fthrow, Bthrow, or Dthrow with one IC then make the other one grab.

Footstool throw
Do a Fthrow, Bthrow, or Dthrow with one IC then make the other one footstool jump off the opponent. They should flop to the ground being unable to tech. If you hit them with an attack such as a jab or ice block this will make them stand back up and you can regrab them.

Squall hammer throw
Grab the opponent while you're holding the direction all the way towards them. This will allow you to hold forward without doing a Fthrow. Now do a squall hammer with Nana, this will knock the opponent behind Popo where he can turn around and regrab them.

III. Grab Finishers

Double smash throw
This is a good way to rack up damage and KO your opponent. Just grab with one IC and attack with the C-stick. This results in Popo doing grab hits while Nana does smashes. After Nana does the second smash it'll knock the opponent out of Popo's hand.

Charged smash throw
This is a good way to get off a fully charged smash attack for an easy KO. Simply grab with one IC and then hit the C-stick in any direction for a smash then hold Z. This will result in you charging your smash while the opponent is still grabbed. This can be done regardless of whether Popo or Nana is the one grabbing. It's also a good idea to do a throw towards the IC that is charging their smash. This allows them to charge their smash a bit longer while the opponent can't break away.

Ice block lock
Not exactly a CG, but it can be used after directly after a CG. After a Dthrow into Fair CG start shooting out evenly spaced ice blocks while desynched. This will put your opponent in continuous stun, you can also do a SH and shoot an ice block on the far side of your opponent popping them back to you resulting in an infinite. This can be used to carry opponents off the stage, KO them on walk off ledges, or be turned into an infinite against a wall.

IV. Threads

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=153814 - VirtualVoid
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=162930 - Hylian
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=164396 - God-is-my-Rock
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=163440 - Sonic XD
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=164231 - Corner-Trap
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=163282 - KazenoZ
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=163430 - calprinicus
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=160078 - NESSBOUNDER
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=162531 - saintrage
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=161951 - slacker!
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=161517 - VGamerJoe

V. Videos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHfGqpHBZI4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pF6Gfa63TaA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiW90quHDqg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sToFj4B2hmA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqYtZ...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOP2K...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9feI...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwwJoMFGlZc

The New De-sync Thread

Credit: Kyu Puff

I. De-Syncs

First, a definition. De-synching is the action of seperately controlling the Ice Climbers (i.e., you control both Popo and Nana at different times, rather than both at the same time). Normally, when you input a move, Popo will respond, and Nana will respond to the same move a few frames after. When you de-sync, you widen that gap so that you can input a move for Popo, then input a move for Nana at a different time.

Instead of just shooting an Ice Block, you can have Popo shoot an Ice Block, then Nana shoot an Ice Block, then Popo, and so on. You can also input different controls for both of them. For example, you can have Popo f-smash, followed by Nana Ice Block, followed by Popo jumping Blizzard, and so on.

To stay de-synched, you must time their moves so that both Ice Climbers are always occupied. By this, I mean that if Popo is shooting an Ice Block, to stay desynched, you must input another move before Popo recovers from the animation lag. An elementary way to do this is by rhythmically tapping a button, such as B, so that they maintain an equal interval of time between every move.

If you don't understand this definition, I recommend watching these videos. The first is a guide to de-synching in Melee - keep in mind that most of the de-syncs demonstrated in that video are not in Brawl. The second is a Brawl match with lots of effective de-synching.

The following are the known ways to de-sync in Brawl.

1: Aerial De-Sync. In Brawl, you can de-sync after any aerial that connects with an opponent. Possible in Melee, but much less noticeable due to the falling speeds. For any aerial but b-air, fastfall so that you land during the animation, and input a command while the lag is ending. For b-air, simply hit an opponent, and hold the command near the end of the animation.

Credit: Smasher89 and Speedsk8er both discovered this independently, and I cracked it 03-17-2008.

2: Aerial Buffer De-Sync. Perform an aerial so that it ends before you land, and buffer dash in the opposite direction. When you land, Nana will dash in that direction, and Popo will turn around, allowing you to de-sync.

Credit: Speedsk8er, on 03-17-2008

3: Blonde Roll. Press L and Back simulaneously: Popo rolls backwards, and Nana rolls in the wrong direction.

Credit: Som posted this on 02-25-2008.

4: Dash-Dance De-Sync. Simply Dash-Dance and input a command, and only Popo will react. Nana can't pivot or dash-dance, and will humorously slide around in confusion.

Credit: Existed in Melee, confirmed by OoNoiRoO on 02-02-2008.

5: Dash/Smash De-Sync. Dash in the direction opposite to where you're facing, and hit A. You should have Popo charge a smash, and Nana dash attack. If they both charge a smash, you hit A too quickly, if they both dash attack, you hit A too slowly.

Credit: Also existed in Melee, confirmed by me on 02-16-2008.

6: Grab De-Sync. The Ice Climbers de-sync when you grab. You can c-stick smashes, causing Popo to headbutt and Nana to smash. C-stick + Z to have Popo headbutt and Nana charge a smash. You can also control Nana during a throw, allowing you to combo, or to chain grab. For example, d-throw to f-air (Nana) chains at low percentages.

Credit: Classic de-sync from Melee, first noted by Wobbles the Phoenix on 02-04-2008.

7: Initial Dash De-Sync. Jam the control stick in the direction opposite to where you're facing, let go, and towards the end of the dash, input Blizzard, Ice Block, or Shield + any move. Only Nana responds at first, so she Blizzards, Ice Blocks, or Shields alone, leaving Popo to do anything. The timing on this is tricky, but in my opinion worth learning.

Credit: Discovered by me on 02-16-2008. I tested this in Melee and found out that this was possible, but harder to do and less useful because Ice Block came out slower.

8: Ledge/Belay De-Sync. Belay stops working after you grab the ledge once, until you move over the stage again. You can use this to your de-syncing andvantage by ledge-dropping a Belay, which causes Popo to do a short Belay over the edge, and Nana to just climb up.

Credit: Found by me on 03-09-2008.

9: Pivot A. The Pivot De-Sync is one of the fastest and I recommend learning it. Nana can't pivot, and will run backwards whenever you attempt to do so. Pivoting into a jab, tilt, or smash (sans u-smash) will cause Popo to pivot the move, and Nana to dash attack in front of you.

Credit: Existed in Melee, first thing I tried in Brawl, confirmed by me on 02-16-2008.

10: Pivot B. Pivoting Blizzard or Ice Block results in Popo following your command, and Nana free to follow up with any move. It is exactly like "Pivot A", but Nana doesn't dash attack. A common use for this is Pivoted Ice Block to short-hopped Blizzard, to short-hopped Blizzard, and so on.

Credit: Existed in Melee, first thing I tried in Brawl, confirmed by me on 02-16-2008.

11: Platform Fall De-Sync. Right before landing on a platform, press down. Popo drops through the platform, and Nana lands on it.

Credit: Discovered by Som on 02/25/2008.

12: SHFF De-Sync. Short-hop, fastfall, and Popo lands a moment before Nana. Timing is hard, but you can input a move so that either Popo or Nana does it, but not both. For example, as Popo lands, if you input Blizzard, only Nana will do it. However, if you input an f-smash, Popo will smash and Nana will not.

Credit: Discovered by me on 03-21-2008.

13: Start De-Sync. Pause the game with Start, press A to exit the pause window, and immediately let go of A. Only Nana will jab, much like 13 (below). Disruptive in a real game, but can be used online for an instant desynch.

Credit: slacker! found this on 03-13-2008. ( I had actually discovered this on 3-10-2008, but my account was broken and would not let me post until I created this new account).

14: Starting De-Sync. The Ice Climbers begin the match de-synced. Input something (for example, Ice Block) at the beginning of the match, and let go after the game begins. Nana will Ice Block, Popo won't.

Credit: Was in Melee, confirmed by Chu Dat at Pound 3 on 02-02-2008.

15: Squall De-Sync. Over-B, and input a move at the end of the Squall Hammer animation. If timed correctly, only Nana should respond.

Credit: Discovered by KazenoZ, 03-08-2008.

16: Tilt De-Sync. By tilting the control stick in a diagonal direction and hitting A simultaneously, it is possible to have Popo and Nana perform different tilts. Because the tilts have different durations, you can de-sync afterwards.

Credit: Discovered by Som on 02-25-2008.

17: Tipper De-Sync. If you space correctly, you can have only Popo hit the opponent with a move such as f-tilt. Nana, who doesn't suffer hitlag, will be active before Popo.

Credit: Speedsk8er in Melee.

18: Trip De-Sync. Sometimes, one Ice Climber will randomly trip. If this happens, although annoying, you can use it to de-sync while the other Climber stands up.

Credit: Wobbles the Phoenix found this on 02-08-2008.

19: Turnaround De-Sync. By lightly flicking the opposite direction, Popo will turn around, and Nana will do a short forward dash. To understand what I mean, think the second controller motion in a Pivot.

Credit: Good de-sync discovered by Speedsk8er in Melee (correct me if I'm wrong), confirmed by me, 03-17-2008.

20: Z-Roll De-Sync. Press Z and Back at the same time. Popo rolls backwards and Nana grabs. This is an easy de-sync to learn.

Credit: Discovered by Som on 02-25-2008, independly discovered and described by KazenoZ.

Another very useful De-sync: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=169427

What To Do If...

Credit: Nintendogs

It is the beginning of a match:
I would usually use the starting De-sync and spam IB's until he/she decides to approach. If the opponent rolls toward you and tries to get in close, have one IC use a blizzard (since it will still hit the opponent with ease when the roll lag animation starts) and the other one use a hyphen smash, and after that you can try to hit the opponent with Belay.

The Ice Climbers Compiled Video Thread By: Nintendogs

Tutorials:

Combo Videos:

Hylian's chaingrab vid
Ice-Block lock
IC combo vid
Another IC combo vid

IC combo Vid

0-Death:

Void's 0-death (1)
Void's 0-Death (2)

Player Videos:

Virtual Void:
Som:
Paxr:
Millar:

Shonuf:

Nintendude1189:
Chaco:
Cyphn:
Hylian:
KRDsonic:
Livermen:
Unnamed Videos:

IC v. Falcon
IC v. Lucas
IC v. Falco
IC v. G&W
IC v. Pikachu
IC v. Peach

The Hall of Fame/Best of the Ice Climbers:

Right now Youtube is broken on my computer and I can not watch any videos, so could someone please tell me if the see a great IC vid, I'll add it to this section.

PLEAS TELL ME IF YOU FIND ANOTHER VID THAT I CAN ADD OR IF ANY OF THESE ARE NOT WORTH BEING IN THIS THREAD

Combos that would work if you are fighting a complete n00b:

New form of wobbling?
If you grab the opponent and do nothing your opponent will break away. If you do a jab right when the opponent breaks away he will be stopped right in front of you not being able to do anything.

Alright, so this is how you do this CG. First do an alternating Fthrow to Nana, then move Popo to be slightly behind Nana. Now steadily hit the jab button, this will make Nana and Popo alternate between grab hits and jabs. When the opponent breaks away he should be hit by a jab resulting in the situation explained in the first paragraph. Now wait for a split second then press the grab button again, and Nana should grab them again before they can move. If you do it too fast Nana will shield and Popo will simply knock the opponent away with another jab. If you do it to slow then the opponent can break free. This CG only works until around 100-130 because the jab will eventually knock the opponent out of Nana's grab range, but of course you should be doing a grab finisher by that point.

Credit: Speedsk8ter

0-death Dthrow Fair? Note, I've only tried this on Marth in training mode(read:No DI) but I've managed to chain him from 0-82% stopping only because I ran out of room on FD. The trick was to catch them before they hit the ground. I dunno if DI could stop this or not though. if it doesn't, we have an "infinite" that's easier to perform. I think Nana has to full-jump though.
Okay, this doesn't last forever, the highest I got was 98%. Still, good damage.

Credit: Void (There was no exact quote made from Void since it was in a video, so I will explain it in my own words).

If Nana is hanging on the edge, and Popo is standing up, you can have Popo charge a fsmash facing the edge and Nana will do an f-air while floating in a weird way. You can do this with any move, and if you spam A you will get a infinite nair.

Part 2; setup:

To get Nana on the edge, you can pivot right next it, and Nana should fall onto the edge. Also, you can use belay and press A once and only Popo will get off the edge.

AI Info/Oddities:

Important Info: No matter what you do, Nana will always be 6 frames behind Popo.

If Nana is above Popo (when he is on the ground) and you have him turn around, Nana will will turn with popo in the air.

Uses: If you imput a move for Popo such as ftilt and then turn around, Nana will start to do a fair in one direction and will then turn around and hit an opponent by suprise.

Credit: Void (There was no exact quote made from Void since it was in a video, so I will explain it in my own words).
If Nana is hanging on the edge, and Popo is standing up, you can have Popo charge a fsmash facing the edge and Nana will do an f-air while floating in a weird way. You can do this with any move, and if you spam A you will get a infinite nair.
Part 2; setup:

To get Nana on the edge, you can pivot right next it, and Nana should fall onto the edge. Also, you can use belay and press A once and only Popo will get off the edge.

Credit: Void
Uses: This can be used as an effective edgeguard

The Stupidity of Nana:

Sorry, this is all I have for Now.

Frostbite
(starting at 4min. 40sec.)

Q&A

I will add content in this section soon.

Special Thanks

In conclusion, I hope you have enjoyed this guide, and I wanted to give special thanks to everyone who has made an impact on the Smash World Forums Ice Climber community:

Nintendogs
Corner Trap
Slacker
Virtualvoid
Calprinicus
Hylian
Kyu Puff
God-is-my-Rock
Atlantis
Delphiki
Orca
Speedsk8ter
Nessbounder
Saintrage
Gishnak
Vgamerjoe
Lightning Ice
Straylit
Ark22
Elliot Gale

If you want me to put your name here post a comment.

I am gradually updating this guide, and feel free to ask questions or leave comments!

Dizzynecro

Smash Journeyman
I found a decent desynch:
After using belay as a grapple, have popo jump up the ledge and do a down air and nana will do a invincible ledge attack covering you.

Dan_X

Smash Lord
Cool! I'm mentioned in the special thanks section! I'm not quite sure what I've done. Aside from chilling on the IC boards and adding my two cents when needed. :)

It's good to know that my contributions have gone on noticed ;)

Despite the fact that I didn't have ground breaking videos or discoveries, like Void and the rest of the gang. ;D

Thanks Nintendogs for compiling all of this info into one thread... now it just needs to be stickied.

Corner-Trap

Smash Ace
May I suggest that you put each section in quotes to take up less room? Here's how I would format it.

Table of Contents:
1. Ice Climbers Introduction/guide
2. IC matchups
3. IC Chaingrabs
4. IC De-syncs
5. IC videos
6. Combos that would work if you were fighting a complete n00b
7. AI info/oddities
8. The stupidity of Nana
9. Q&A
10. Special thanks

The Ice Climbers Introduction

Credit: Delphiki

IC Introduction, An Introduction to Competitive Brawl Ice Climbers, by Delphiki
http://www.allisbrawl.com/forum/topic.aspx?id=6868

Hello everyone, and welcome to my Brawl ICs guide.

Before I begin with the real substance, there are a couple of points I would like to make. The first, and most important, being that this is not intended as an end-all resource. I am arrogant enough for the modesty to say that there are things I do now know about this game, and I do not pretend to know everything. I will put down here everything that I know, focusing mostly on aggressive strategies and the uses of the Ice Climbers moveset. Second, I would like to say that although I don't know everything, the purpose of this guide is to guide players to use the most powerful techniques available. While we don't know all that the Ice Climbers are capable of, and without a full understanding of their faults, we can still use what we know to achieve the best results.

The goal is not to be fancy, flashy, or unique. The goal is effectiveness.

Finally, this guide is not intended to teach you how to control the Ice Climbers. It is only intended to teach you an effective style of IC play. This guide is my Ice Climbers technique, my school. Whether or not you can succesfully apply the techniques herein is dependent upon the level of dedication you have to learning to master the Ice Climbers. Once you can fight with them habitually (that is, when you do not always need to second-guess their capabilities and your own), you can learn how to apply my technique on your enemies.

Section 1 - Moveset

We'll start with a quick coverage of each move. Uses will be covered more thoroughly later on.

The Ice Climbers have a very diverse moveset, though unfortunately there are a few moves which are very not very useful, or simply not worth the effort required to use them.

Jab - 5%, 6% (2 hits) / 3%, 4%

The basic 'A' attack. Although it deals a decent amount of damage, it is not at all useful for comboing or approaching. Although it may be possible to trap someone against a wall, if you got the timing of the jabs seperated a certain way. Though that is incredibly unlikely.

F-tilt - 17% / 10%

Decent in both damage and spacing. It is good if you don't have time for a F-smash or Bair. Great for a quick desynch starter.

D-tilt - 11% / 6%

This move can be used for semi-spiking if you get your opponent near the edge at a good percent. Against anyone with bad recovery, it is preferable to a Smash attack which would send the enemy at a high trajectory.

U-tilt - 18% / 12%

The ICs most damaging tilt. It is both easy to hit with, and can be followed with an aerial pretty much every time. It comes out a lot faster than U-smash, but it is also a lot laggier. Don't spam this, but it is great for building up damage. Also, it has really good priority if you are being approached from above.

F-smash - 18% / 13%

Although this attack is strong in both damage and knockback, it has a lot of flaws. Not too fast or laggy, but it lacks range and is easily punishable since the hitbox doesn't last very long. Best used for KOs - don't use it too often for mere damage, because you don't want the move to get too stale.

D-smash - 39% / 10%

The 40-damage down smash. ^_^ I'm not sure on the exact percents, but fully charged this attack does around 49-54% ( 53%, corrected by Nintendogs) , and uncharged it does as much as 39%. On top of that, it comes out quickly and can kill (though not as well as the other smashes). It is obviously great for racking up damage, even when it is stale. Not so good with a single Climber, but with both this is one of their best attacks. The 10% with one Climber is because Popo does not get the hitlag necessary for the return hit.

U-smash - 21% / 12%

One of your best moves for killing off the top. Average damage (which for ICs is around 20, I think o_0) and has decent range both above and in front. However this move is quite hard to pull off. It is not easy to combo into it, and it has no range in the back, unless you are facing a really big enemy. It is easy to hit with while techchasing, meaning you may be able to do things like D-tilt, techchase, U-smash. This attack will pretty much always kill by 140%, and sometimes as early as 90.

Neutral B - 6% / 3%

Ice Blocks. These are quite the pest. Great for annoying your opponent and forcing him to approach. In combination with Blizzards and Squalls, this trifecta from hell can create a great and unpredictable strategy of spam, spacing, and approaches. Unfortunately each block does very little in terms of damage (next to nothing), and they are quite laggy. However the startup is good, and between the seperation of the blocks and shorthopping into them, you will rarely be punished for them.

Another great use of Ice Blocks is edgeguarding after a F-throw. P-F-throw, N-Ice Block, P-Ice Block...etc... can steal a character's jumps (no matter how many they have) and force them to Up+B. Think Pit ^_^. This also works great against anyone with a strictly vertical recovery, such as Luigi and Kirby - steal their jumps, then edgehog. Game!

Forward B - 31% / 18%

Squall. One of the Climbers best approaches when together, but useless Solo (it can be shieldgrabbed when alone). Does decent damage, and ***** shields. Even if your opponent blocks, there is a chance they will be dumb about it and drop early, and if not they will be slow on the reaction of the move ending, and thereby open for punishment - out of your attack! This is a keystone in my ICs game. However one has to learn to fight without it. For all her valor, Nana usually dies first.

Down B - 34% / 16%

Blizzard. Again, this attack is great for pressuring, vs. shields, spacing, and approaching. Also, like Ice Blocks, it can be used well on defense. Not many attacks get through the Blizzard, and it does above 20 damage if you hit with it at close range with both ICs. Also, it is like the Squall where your enemy may not react quickly to the attack ending, and you can get away with something like dash attack -> Uair. A desynched Blizzard is great for getting grabs - it has long range and pins your opponent.

Up B - 17%

Belay. Your third jump. It is a tether recovery if the ledge is above you and available. If not, Nana is thrown up into the air and pulls Popo behind her. Popo gets much more height than Nana when this happens. While usually quite basic, there are a couple of advanced techniques you can do with Belay. Most of these are as of yet, completely unknown - thus they will often catch your opponent completely offguard. First off, as with all tether recoveries, it counts as edgehogging as soon as Nana grabs the ledge. Second, Nana is an amazing hitbox if you do not tether. She does only 12 or so damage, but it is more powerful in knockback your U-air. What that means is that it can be comboed into out of Uair, getting kills as early as 70-110%, depending on weight.

F-air - 22% (24%, corrected by Nintendogs) / 12%

A good ranged, high priority, aerial. Doesn't combo at all, but can follow U-air, resulting in a total of 35+ damage and either edgeguarding, or 'floorguarding' - preventing your opponent from touching ground. Also, the end of Nana's F-air is a Meteor. The best uses of it in that aspect are grabbing near the edge (with Popo), followed by P-F-throw or P-D-throw + N-Fair. This can be Meteor-cancelled of course, but that rarely happens, and either way your opponent is offstage with a pair of Climbers waiting patiently for blood.

B-air - 19% / 11 %

A very fast aerial which does light damage. However, this attack auto-cancels for most of it's duration (after the hitbox). This means it can be easily followed by lots of attacks, provided you can get to your opponent fast enough. This attack can also kill quite well if it has not already grown stale. Usually, this is your best aerial option for killing, with the exception of U-air -> Belay.

D-air - 13% / 8%

Ugh. I seriously do not like the way this attack works. The D-air is good for breaking out of combos, and also for quickly changing your speed while falling, due to it's auto fast-fall property. Unfortunately this attack does not auto-cancel, and is very laggy. So even if you do use it to break out of a combo (dealing a good 12-18 or so damage in the process), there is still a chance you will be punished. I only use this attack when someone is attempting to keep me in the air. It has decent priority, so you will usually hit with at least one Climber. Also, it may pop your opponent up above you, giving a quick turn of the table. Overall, very situational.

N-air- 12% / 8%

This attack is great for comboing with one Climber. Down throw combos into it, and after the Nair you can sometimes get another grab, or a F-smash. On faster-falling characters, you can probably get a D-tilt. This is great for characters who don't have good recovery, or who are edgeguarded easily (especially tether recoveries).

U-air - 18% / 9%

One of the ICs best aerials. Although it can't kill, the U-air combos out of many attacks (including itself!) and combos into F-air, B-air, and Up+B. It also has very good priority, and comes out quickly with very little aerial lag. But be careful when SHing it - the landing lag is quite bad if not auto-canceled.

Throws -

F-throw - 8
D-throw - 6
B-throw - 6.5
U-throw - 6

**Okay, all of these damage percentages are fresh (first time used in a match), against a human DeDeDe, standing still, with the exception of U-tilt, where DeDeDe jumped up and fell, then I used U-tilt so that the hammers started near the middle of him for max damage. Also, Blizzard was short hopped, so that both Climbers would hit.

Section 2 - Approaching & Positioning

This section focuses on the most important element of IC play. Fortunately, it is also very dynamic in most circumstances and matchups, allowing the skilled player a number of possibilities in any situation.

The Ice Climbers have a very unique style when it comes to approaching. This is because all of their approaches are stoppable. If you know they are grabbing, spotdodge and punish, and everything else can be shielded. All but two attacks can be easily beaten by spacing, but even those two - Squall and Blizzard, can be defeated by an opponent who knows what they are doing. For example, Marth can easily beat them both with F-smash.

The key to approaching is spacing, unpredictability, and position. By 'spacing' I mean left-to-right spacing - you have to stay just out of range of the opponent. This usually means a good amount out of your own range. Positioning means being aware of the stage and where your opponent will be moving next.

There are three moves that create a wonderful amount of pressure on your enemy. This is the 'trifecta from hell' I mentioned earlier. Squall, Blizzard, and Ice Blocks. Not only are they pesky and unsettling, but they help create movement locks - your opponent is forced to move into a different position. Not only will this eventually force him to the edge of the stage (if he plays defensively), but the same attacks can be used to retreat as quickly as you decide to do so.

To begin such a painful pressure game, it is best to desynch. The obvious easiest way to do this is to begin the game desynched, with either an N-Ice Block, or if an Ice Block would be useless, N-Blizzard. The Blizzard lasts longer, so it is a bit better because it gives Popo time to close the gap between you and the enemy before going into his first attack.

After desynching, it is good to alternate Blizzards, F-airs, and blocks to create a moving barrier which forces your opponent to give up his positioning or get too close and leave himself open for a Squall. The critical aspect of all this is the small boost of speed at the beginning of the Squall. This allows you to close gaps and begin hitting the opponent while the other Climber is finishing up their latest pressuring attack. As soon as they finish, you can run in and begin to capitalize with grabs or other combos.

A quick note - whereas the Squall is a physical attack, the Blizzard is a projectile attack. This means that their usefulness is sometimes subjective to the enemy character. Lots of characters have some ability to repel projectiles. In this situation, it is good to short hop, begin to fall (do not fast fall), and just before you land in front of the enemy, use either a Blizzard or Squall. Be very careful to not follow any patterns with which attack you use. This is the only way to keep up maximum unpredictability and usefulness of these attacks. Blizzard is punishable from behind, and Squall can be outspaced, so if your opponent knows which attack will be used, you will be punished for it. Therefore you cannot let an opponent's absorption or reflection technique scare you away from Blizzard. Even if once or twice in a 3-stock match they use your Blizzard against you, that is much better than limiting your character just because of their mere threat.

Section 3 - Combos, Chaingrabbing, and Grab Combos

Whenever an opportunity presents itself, you must capitalize completely and unrelentlessly. As I stated in the introduction, there is no room for fanciness when you are facing a good opponent, and as such you have to do away with any habits of using less effective, but flashy or 'neat' combos.

Unfortunately, the most effective Ice Climber combos are also the hardest - they are their basic grab infinites: P-grab, C-smash, N-regrab, P-regrab, C-smash etc.....until you can kill them with a smash. This is almost always the most effective combo. The only other combo you would wish to use is alternating regrabs to the edge of the stage, and Meteoring with N-F-air.

The largest difficulties here are the difficulties of landing a grab, and the technical ability necessary to get the chaingrabs correct consistently. If you are unsure that you will be able to land a difficult CG or grab combo, then it is probably a good idea to go for something easier. Basically, the goal is to do the maximum amount of damage that you can, even that means you have to do a bit less than is possible. But that doesn't mean neglect training ^_^. However in a tournament setting, when every hit matters, getting a decent amount of damage is a lot better than messing up while trying to get a lot.

When it comes to non-grab combos, the ICs don't have much. But these are the combos that a Solo Climber relies on the most. Your basic combo attacks all combo in the same direction - up. Dash attack, D-throw (sometimes B-throw), U-air, Things like F-tilt and D-tilt don't exactly combo (your enemy will recover as quickly as you do), so it comes down to what their reaction is, how you exploit it, and your foreknowledge of it. B-throw also acts like this - if you know they will either DI in, or that they will jump afterwards, you can stop them from hitting ground. Also, if you throw them off the stage, you will get an easy edgeguard if they DI backwards (from the direction you grabbed in).

Another easy approach/combo is Squall. The last hit of a Double Squall pops your enemy into the air similar to a dash attack. This, and any dash attack, d-throw, or U-air can be followed with F-air or Up+B (sometimes B-air works as well, but rarely does that situation come up - you would have to be comboing with your back to the opponent, or be very close to them). Use these for damage and maybe a kill if their percent is just right to be both comboed and killed. Remember though - Solo Squall can be shieldgrabbed.

Finally, a quick combo with a Solo Climber - D-throw, Nair, D-throw, Nair... this can happen a couple times in a row. I think it is escapable (things like Metaknight's Nair can probably break out), but you'll at least want to try it until they start getting out. Remember - if it's working well, spam it until it doesn't. Also, Nair can be replaced with Fair to end the combo, and the grabs can be replaced with a lot of different attacks - F-smash for example, or if they don't jump you may be able to get that elusive D-tilt.

Section 4 - Defense or 'Camping'

As you may have noticed, the Ice Climbers' aggressive game revolves around a few tactics. If, for whatever reason, these fail to work, the best option is to resort to making them come to you. I put camping in the title of the section to help people get over the stigma of it. Yes, some people hate camping. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't do it (see my blog for my whole idea on that). If your approaches aren't working, it's time to test out theirs.

Camping is best done while desynched. How you desynch is up to you. Some of the quickest and easiest are pivots, dash dances, and Squall desynchs. Also, there is always the starting or spawn desynch. Once desynched, you want to create a pressure wall, pretty much the same as an offensive one. The key difference, though, is that you want to coax your opponent to advance, setting himself up (why do the hard stuff when your enemy does it for you? ^_^). To do that, you want to leave temporary holes. So start using smaller attacks, like suddenly doing P-F-tilt, N-Ice Block (short hopped), P-Nair....etc.. It's best not to use constant Blizzards, because that will make your enemy much more cautious. What you want to do is use these weak, short ranged attacks to create false openings. A constantly shifting wall of hammers and ice can be very confusing to anyone who doesn't play ICs, or doesn't know them well. As anyone who uses pistoning knows (pistoning is constantly using alternating F-smashes) - one Climber attacking does not equal lag.

I have not yet found a very reliable way to camp with one IC. Although one thing is already covered, in that the opponent will almost always play aggressively. It seems they just can't resist attacking a defenseless baby. You can use this to your advantage, but Popo does not have much when it comes to spacing ability. Blizzard and Ice Blocks are still effective, but not so much. And by taking away Squall approaches, it becomes very difficult to close in to do any damage. Overall you have to be very careful about your attack choice, as it becomes very difficult to both control space and keep yourself out of punishable lag, all while attempting to force an opening. If you can succesfully deal 50+ damage, you are in a huge advantage. Even if you can't nail a KO move, you are a lot closer to taking that stock, and odds are that you will land one shortly after respawning.

Section 5 - Desynching

When it comes to desynching, the most important questions are "How do I desynch?" and "What do I do once desynched?" The second question is basically whatever you would normally be doing, simply faster, and with less lag. Desynching sacrifices mobility for speed and fluidity. It allows you to reduce the lag after every attack down to nothing, and allows you to choose to start a new attack (or motion) before the first is done!

There are many different ways to desynch, to start continuous desynchs. There are so many different ways to desynch that many of them are either very situational or obselete. Mastery of desynching means knowing what desynchs you can start at any given time, and also the ability to recognize when it would be beneficial. Remember desynching is not necessary - there are skilled players who only desynch to do grab combos.

Currently, the most common desynchs are the spawn desynch and grabs. Grabs are by far the Ice Climbers' most powerful combos. So, the goal of a desynch should be, if not a grab, some combo/strategy that gains kills from a single opportunity or severely limits your opponent's ability. Either complete safety or a sure kill.

Common desynch tactics include:

* Using one Climber to advance and space attacks, and another to cover the first Climber. This is a common doubles tactics, using one player to poke and prod, while the other covers openings and punishes the enemy's action. The biggest difficulty in this, to me, is controlling space well enough to quickly cover the enemies' options with a not-very-mobile Climber.
* Defensive pressure. As described earlier, use of Blizzards, Squalls, and Ice Blocks to advance can quickly pin your opponent and lead to a grab. This is very hard to defeat by many characters, although the Climbers leave holes in the top, meaning any character with a fast, high jump may be able to sneak past them easily. Also, many projectiles can defeat this, notably Snake's grenades, and thrown bombs.
* Offensive pressure. By using both Climbers to attack alternately, with either the same or different attacks. This is not as safe as defensive pressuring, but doesn't fall victim to the same counters. Common attacks to use for this include dash attacks, Nairs, Uairs, and tilts for cover. In addition, dash attacking into certain projectiles can desynch the climbers can lead to huge opportunities.

There are many possible situational desynchs. These include pivots, Squalls, dashes, and landing desynchs. Between the four of these, a player can desynch during most motions. Recently, Foxy K discovered that you can in fact desynch from nearly every one of the Ice Climbers' attacks (you can find that thread and video here). The only known exceptions are Ice Blocks, Blizzards, and (probably) jabs. This means that we can desynch from dashing, standing, attacking, squall (approaching!), and landing. The only thing that leaves is jumping! Keep in mind that you are quite vulnerable if you full hop anywhere near your opponent. If you do, and find the opportunity you jumped for disappearing, it is probably a good idea to cover your front with Fairs. Just make sure to autocancel them.

Section 6 - General Dangers and Advice

(I will take submissions for this section! If you have something you would like added, let me know! ^_^)

* First of all, be sure to switch up your Squalls and Blizzards. Not only against projectile-defeating characters, either. There are several other differences, such as the usefulness of rolls, and the effectiveness of being attacked from above. The different ranges of the attacks can also be used to your advantage.
* Remember that you can desynch out of Squalls! I'm not sure, but I think it can also be done even if you are hitting their shield. So you can do things like N-doublejab, P-grab. Just in case they try to drop their shield or roll away while Popo is going for the grab.
* Using autocancelled B-airs is useful, but only against characters that don't have huge disjointed hitboxes, and characters without projectiles. That is a small group of the cast, unfortunately. Wario comes to mind. Also, if you desynch them you might be able to connect with consecutive Bairs at low percents.
* Whenever you use D-smash, both during chaingrabs and otherwise, be sure to space it correctly to get maximum damage.

Afterword

I.. think....I should apologize. I know that was a gigantic wall of text. Normally I wouldn't care, but I know that it's no fun sitting through a guide and wanting to get up and play halfway through. So, a thank you goes out to everyone who stuck it through ^_^. I commend your patience *tips hat*. Throughout all of my playing Melee I never read a single guide. I also watched very few videos - nearly all of my experience came from live tournament play.

Now, if any of you have something to add, please free to suggest. If it's something I didn't cover, I may update this, and if I am flat-out wrong about something, I would be more than happy to know. If so, I will add whatever you have to say and credit you for it. Thank you all for your support, and I hope you find this guide useful!

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Updates -

4/21/08 - Added info on Nair, Blizzard, Ice Block, F-tilt. Added Foxy K's desynch stuffs. See Foxy's Fantastique Ice Climbers Discovery. Also added the Desynch section. Added fresh damage percentages.

4/14/08 - Wrote the guide, and posted.
Ice Climbers Match-Up Thread

Bowser- Good 7/3
Captain Falcon- Fair 6/4
Charizard- Fair 6/4
Diddy Kong- Good 7/3
Donkey Kong- Fair 5/5
Falco- Fair 5/5
Fox- Fair 6/4
Game & Watch- Fair 4/6
Ganondorf- Good 7/3
Ice Climbers- Fair 5/5
Ike- Fair 6/4
Ivysaur- Good 7/3
Jigglypuff- Fair 6/4
King Dedede- Fair 6/4
Kirby- Fair 6/4
Link- Fair 6/4
Lucario- Fair 6/4
Lucas- Fair 5/5
Luigi- Fair 5/5
Mario- Good 7/3
Marth- Fair 4/6
Meta Knight- Bad 3/7
Ness- Fair 6/4
Peach- Fair 6/4
Pikachu- Bad 3/7
Pikman & Olimar- Fair 6/4
Pit- Fair 4/6
R.O.B.- Fair 5/5
Samus- Fair 6/4
Sheik- Fair 6/4
Snake- Fair 4/6
Sonic- Fair 6/4
Squirtle- Fair 6/4
Toon Link- Fair 5/5
Wario- Fair 6/4
Wolf- Fair 5/5
Yoshi- Good 7/3
Zelda- Fair 5/5
Zero Suit Samus- Fair 4/6

Good- 6
Fair- 31
Bad- 2
Official ChainGrab Thread

All further discussion relating to the IC's CG's will be handled in this thread. If you discover a CG and I deem that it's useful then I'll post it up here.

I. Index

I. Index
II. Chain Grabs
III. Grab Finishers
IV. Threads
V. Videos​

II. Chain Grabs

Dthrow
You can repeat Dthrows until a certain percent that varies amongst characters, and it only requires one IC.

Dthrow into Fair
Just like repeated Dthrows this only works until a certain percent that varies amongst characters. If the opponent is still standing you can regrab, but if the opponent hits the floor then you can do a follow up. You can also use this to spike the opponent while next to the ledge.

Alternating throws
This is an infinite that works on everyone, but the timing is strict and varies on your opponent and their percent. Note that throw animations last longer on bigger characters, and that characters will be hit faster out of your grabs at higher percents. Simply do a Fthrow, Bthrow, or Dthrow with one IC then make the other one grab.

Footstool throw
Do a Fthrow, Bthrow, or Dthrow with one IC then make the other one footstool jump off the opponent. They should flop to the ground being unable to tech. If you hit them with an attack such as a jab or ice block this will make them stand back up and you can regrab them.

Squall hammer throw
Grab the opponent while you're holding the direction all the way towards them. This will allow you to hold forward without doing a Fthrow. Now do a squall hammer with Nana, this will knock the opponent behind Popo where he can turn around and regrab them.​

III. Grab Finishers

Double smash throw
This is a good way to rack up damage and KO your opponent. Just grab with one IC and attack with the C-stick. This results in Popo doing grab hits while Nana does smashes. After Nana does the second smash it'll knock the opponent out of Popo's hand.

Charged smash throw
This is a good way to get off a fully charged smash attack for an easy KO. Simply grab with one IC and then hit the C-stick in any direction for a smash then hold Z. This will result in you charging your smash while the opponent is still grabbed. This can be done regardless of whether Popo or Nana is the one grabbing. It's also a good idea to do a throw towards the IC that is charging their smash. This allows them to charge their smash a bit longer while the opponent can't break away.

Ice block lock
Not exactly a CG, but it can be used after directly after a CG. After a Dthrow into Fair CG start shooting out evenly spaced ice blocks while desynched. This will put your opponent in continuous stun, you can also do a SH and shoot an ice block on the far side of your opponent popping them back to you resulting in an infinite. This can be used to carry opponents off the stage, KO them on walk off ledges, or be turned into an infinite against a wall.​

IV. Threads

V. Videos

The New De-sync Thread

Credit: Kyu Puff

I. De-Syncs

First, a definition. De-synching is the action of seperately controlling the Ice Climbers (i.e., you control both Popo and Nana at different times, rather than both at the same time). Normally, when you input a move, Popo will respond, and Nana will respond to the same move a few frames after. When you de-sync, you widen that gap so that you can input a move for Popo, then input a move for Nana at a different time.

Instead of just shooting an Ice Block, you can have Popo shoot an Ice Block, then Nana shoot an Ice Block, then Popo, and so on. You can also input different controls for both of them. For example, you can have Popo f-smash, followed by Nana Ice Block, followed by Popo jumping Blizzard, and so on.

To stay de-synched, you must time their moves so that both Ice Climbers are always occupied. By this, I mean that if Popo is shooting an Ice Block, to stay desynched, you must input another move before Popo recovers from the animation lag. An elementary way to do this is by rhythmically tapping a button, such as B, so that they maintain an equal interval of time between every move.

If you don't understand this definition, I recommend watching these videos. The first is a guide to de-synching in Melee - keep in mind that most of the de-syncs demonstrated in that video are not in Brawl. The second is a Brawl match with lots of effective de-synching.

The following are the known ways to de-sync in Brawl.

1: Aerial De-Sync. In Brawl, you can de-sync after any aerial that connects with an opponent. Possible in Melee, but much less noticeable due to the falling speeds. For any aerial but b-air, fastfall so that you land during the animation, and input a command while the lag is ending. For b-air, simply hit an opponent, and hold the command near the end of the animation.

Credit: Smasher89 and Speedsk8er both discovered this independently, and I cracked it 03-17-2008.

2: Aerial Buffer De-Sync. Perform an aerial so that it ends before you land, and buffer dash in the opposite direction. When you land, Nana will dash in that direction, and Popo will turn around, allowing you to de-sync.

Credit: Speedsk8er, on 03-17-2008

3: Blonde Roll. Press L and Back simulaneously: Popo rolls backwards, and Nana rolls in the wrong direction.

Credit: Som posted this on 02-25-2008.

4: Dash-Dance De-Sync. Simply Dash-Dance and input a command, and only Popo will react. Nana can't pivot or dash-dance, and will humorously slide around in confusion.

Credit: Existed in Melee, confirmed by OoNoiRoO on 02-02-2008.

5: Dash/Smash De-Sync. Dash in the direction opposite to where you're facing, and hit A. You should have Popo charge a smash, and Nana dash attack. If they both charge a smash, you hit A too quickly, if they both dash attack, you hit A too slowly.

Credit: Also existed in Melee, confirmed by me on 02-16-2008.

6: Grab De-Sync. The Ice Climbers de-sync when you grab. You can c-stick smashes, causing Popo to headbutt and Nana to smash. C-stick + Z to have Popo headbutt and Nana charge a smash. You can also control Nana during a throw, allowing you to combo, or to chain grab. For example, d-throw to f-air (Nana) chains at low percentages.

Credit: Classic de-sync from Melee, first noted by Wobbles the Phoenix on 02-04-2008.

7: Initial Dash De-Sync. Jam the control stick in the direction opposite to where you're facing, let go, and towards the end of the dash, input Blizzard, Ice Block, or Shield + any move. Only Nana responds at first, so she Blizzards, Ice Blocks, or Shields alone, leaving Popo to do anything. The timing on this is tricky, but in my opinion worth learning.

Credit: Discovered by me on 02-16-2008. I tested this in Melee and found out that this was possible, but harder to do and less useful because Ice Block came out slower.

8: Ledge/Belay De-Sync. Belay stops working after you grab the ledge once, until you move over the stage again. You can use this to your de-syncing andvantage by ledge-dropping a Belay, which causes Popo to do a short Belay over the edge, and Nana to just climb up.

Credit: Found by me on 03-09-2008.

9: Pivot A. The Pivot De-Sync is one of the fastest and I recommend learning it. Nana can't pivot, and will run backwards whenever you attempt to do so. Pivoting into a jab, tilt, or smash (sans u-smash) will cause Popo to pivot the move, and Nana to dash attack in front of you.

10: Pivot B. Pivoting Blizzard or Ice Block results in Popo following your command, and Nana free to follow up with any move. It is exactly like "Pivot A", but Nana doesn't dash attack. A common use for this is Pivoted Ice Block to short-hopped Blizzard, to short-hopped Blizzard, and so on.

11: Platform Fall De-Sync. Right before landing on a platform, press down. Popo drops through the platform, and Nana lands on it.

Credit: Discovered by Som on 02/25/2008.

12: SHFF De-Sync. Short-hop, fastfall, and Popo lands a moment before Nana. Timing is hard, but you can input a move so that either Popo or Nana does it, but not both. For example, as Popo lands, if you input Blizzard, only Nana will do it. However, if you input an f-smash, Popo will smash and Nana will not.

Credit: Discovered by me on 03-21-2008.

13: Start De-Sync. Pause the game with Start, press A to exit the pause window, and immediately let go of A. Only Nana will jab, much like 13 (below). Disruptive in a real game, but can be used online for an instant desynch.

Credit: slacker! found this on 03-13-2008. ( I had actually discovered this on 3-10-2008, but my account was broken and would not let me post until I created this new account).

14: Starting De-Sync. The Ice Climbers begin the match de-synced. Input something (for example, Ice Block) at the beginning of the match, and let go after the game begins. Nana will Ice Block, Popo won't.

Credit: Was in Melee, confirmed by Chu Dat at Pound 3 on 02-02-2008.

15: Squall De-Sync. Over-B, and input a move at the end of the Squall Hammer animation. If timed correctly, only Nana should respond.

Credit: Discovered by KazenoZ, 03-08-2008.

16: Tilt De-Sync. By tilting the control stick in a diagonal direction and hitting A simultaneously, it is possible to have Popo and Nana perform different tilts. Because the tilts have different durations, you can de-sync afterwards.

Credit: Discovered by Som on 02-25-2008.

17: Tipper De-Sync. If you space correctly, you can have only Popo hit the opponent with a move such as f-tilt. Nana, who doesn't suffer hitlag, will be active before Popo.

Credit: Speedsk8er in Melee.

18: Trip De-Sync. Sometimes, one Ice Climber will randomly trip. If this happens, although annoying, you can use it to de-sync while the other Climber stands up.

Credit: Wobbles the Phoenix found this on 02-08-2008.

19: Turnaround De-Sync. By lightly flicking the opposite direction, Popo will turn around, and Nana will do a short forward dash. To understand what I mean, think the second controller motion in a Pivot.

Credit: Good de-sync discovered by Speedsk8er in Melee (correct me if I'm wrong), confirmed by me, 03-17-2008.

20: Z-Roll De-Sync. Press Z and Back at the same time. Popo rolls backwards and Nana grabs. This is an easy de-sync to learn.

Credit: Discovered by Som on 02-25-2008, independly discovered and described by KazenoZ.

Combos that would work if you are fighting a complete n00b:

New form of wobbling?
If you grab the opponent and do nothing your opponent will break away. If you do a jab right when the opponent breaks away he will be stopped right in front of you not being able to do anything.

Alright, so this is how you do this CG. First do an alternating Fthrow to Nana, then move Popo to be slightly behind Nana. Now steadily hit the jab button, this will make Nana and Popo alternate between grab hits and jabs. When the opponent breaks away he should be hit by a jab resulting in the situation explained in the first paragraph. Now wait for a split second then press the grab button again, and Nana should grab them again before they can move. If you do it too fast Nana will shield and Popo will simply knock the opponent away with another jab. If you do it to slow then the opponent can break free. This CG only works until around 100-130 because the jab will eventually knock the opponent out of Nana's grab range, but of course you should be doing a grab finisher by that point.

Credit: Speedsk8ter

0-death Dthrow Fair? Note, I've only tried this on Marth in training mode(read:No DI) but I've managed to chain him from 0-82% stopping only because I ran out of room on FD. The trick was to catch them before they hit the ground. I dunno if DI could stop this or not though. if it doesn't, we have an "infinite" that's easier to perform. I think Nana has to full-jump though.
Okay, this doesn't last forever, the highest I got was 98%. Still, good damage.

Part 2; setup:

AI Info/Oddities:

Important Info: No matter what you do, Nana will always be 6 frames behind Popo.

If Nana is above Popo and you have him turn around, Nana will will turn with popo in the air.

Uses: If you imput a move for Popo such as ftilt and then turn around, Nana will start to do a fair in one direction and will then turn around and hit an opponent by suprise.

Part 2; setup:

Credit: Void
Uses: This can be used as an effective edgeguard
The Stupidity of Nana:

Sorry, this is all I have for Now.

Frostbite
(starting at 4min. 40sec.)
Q&A

I will add content in this section soon.
Special Thanks

In conclusion, I hope you have enjoyed this guide, and I wanted to give special thanks to everyone who has made an impact on the Smash World Forums Ice Climber community:

Nintendogs
Corner Trap
Slacker
Virtualvoid
Calprinicus
Hylian
Kyu Puff
God-is-my-Rock
Atlantis
Delphiki
Orca
Speedsk8ter
Nessbounder
Saintrage
Gishnak
Vgamerjoe
Lightning Ice
Ark22
Dizzynecro
Elliot Gale

I am gradually updating this guide, and feel free to ask questions or leave comments!

Dan_X

Smash Lord
^^^^ I agree. That will make it much easier to depict. As it stands, it's sort of a wall of text with no variations. This format will make it cleaner. :D

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Or you can just post a link to the threads that contain all of the information instead of copy/pasting it. You should leave this thread as more of an updated index of other threads that are worth reading, as well as maybe some new information if you'd like. That is what most character threads like this usually focus on.

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
I agree with the linking idea. I still need to update and edit the desynch thread occasionally, as I'm sure the others would want, too. Apparently it's policy to try to keep as few threads stickied as possible (or something), so we could use a thread that simply links to all worthwhile reads.

KENNYKEBER

Smash Rookie
ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

i got many questions.. these are noob questions but im not a noob... wats N f smash and w\e i dont know wat the N stands for and wats squall? lol

Ulevo

Smash Master
It's a nice start. I recommend updating it with bolded and color coded text so that it makes the guide appealing to read and easy to navigate through. I also recommend putting in a section for your specific abbreviations so that readers do not become confused, and put it up at the top. I use terms like FSmash as well, and this is what I've done for my guide. I hope this turns into something promising. :)

Top Bottom