• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to Cook Pineapples: Stupid Grenade Tricks

Status
Not open for further replies.

gammonwalker

Smash Cadet
[LAST EDIT: 4/30/08, 12:17pm]

Playing around with Snake in training mode for awhile, I compiled a list of interesting grenades techniques to help develop timing. This guide may not help the advanced Snake players, as they should have accurate intuition involving grenades, but it may give some ideas. Some of these techniques greatly differ in their usefulness, but they all have a degree of application. I will go over multiple different ways to execute the trick, some more risky than others, but they all work.

First, I think everyone needs to know that grenades will explode upon the count of 4. As in 1-Mississippi, 2-Mississippi, 3-Mississippi, 4. Knowing this will help you create grenade tactics on the fly and prevent yourself from turning into pot roast. Now time to do dumb ****.

All of these techniques have relatively strict timing and must be done with immediacy. Do not deviate unless you know what you are doing.
*How to Explode Grenades Upon Impact.
Keep in mind that most of the moves listed for the techniques can be interchanged. They are purely for timing purposes. So experiment by moving some of the commands around.
Long/Med Range:
-Shield drop gren / pick up ASAP
-2x Short hop-fast fall
-Throw
Alternate Technique 1
-Short hop-fast fall
-Full jump-wait
-Throw (still in air)
Alternate Technique 2
-2x Dash
-Dash-Throw
Alternate Technique 3
-Shield drop gren
-Short hop-evade (this will pick up the grenade) This technique is particularly useful, because you can DI forwards or backwards to create the proper spacing to set this up!
-Spot dodge OR short hop-fast fall
-Throw

Med/Long Range:
-Shield drop gren
-Short hop-evade (this will pick up the grenade)
-Short hop-evade OR full jump
-Throw
Alternate Technique 1
-3x Spot Dodge
-Throw
Alternate Technique 2
-3x Dash
-Brief pause-throw OR dash-throw

Short/Med Range:
-Shield drop gren
-Short hop-evade
-Short hop-throw
Alternate Technique 1
-4x Dash
-Brief pause-throw OR dash-throw

That should be enough material to give you an idea of how to set up for a perfectly cooked grenade. EVEN BETTER THAN MAMA!

*Exploding TWO Grenades at a Specific Point.
I found this technique to be very unusual. I haven't seen anyone do it, perhaps for being somewhat obvious. However, it is still very useable. For people who haven't seen it before it can be very shocking. It will double (ISN'T THAT SPECIAL) the size of your blast radius and make all the girls jealous when you do 26% dmg off a projectile. I call this...

Getting the Ladies
-Shield drop gren
-Press B (this will drop your 1st grenade and throw your 2nd for you)
-Pick up and throw 1st grenade ASAP
-Watch baby Jesus cry.
Alternate Technique 1
-Shield drop gren / pick up grenade ASAP
-Short hop-down A (this will throw the grenade to the ground) you can DI during this too
-Press B (for your 2nd grenade throw)
-Pick up and throw 1st grenade ASAP
-Get laid.
This method is nice because you have an exit option is someone approaches you. You're hands will be free to attack.
Alternate Technique 2
-Short hop-press B (for your 2nd grenade throw)
-Pick up and throw 1st grenade
-Sex appeal.
Depending on when you throw the 1st grenade it may or may not fail to detonate the 2nd.
Alternate Technique 3
-Roll back
-Press B (for your 2nd grenade throw)
-Pick up and throw 1st grenade
This is the furthest reaching of all the set ups.

Defensive Options
With the gigantic blast radius on the double grenade technique you can create a very dangerous wall between you and your opponent. For example...

-Throw down lightly
-Hold B / take a very small step back
-Release while holding back
-Shield OR roll away
Alternate Technique 1
-Shield drop gren
-Hold B / take a big step back
-Release while holding back
-Shield OR roll away
Alternate Technique 2
-Shield drop gren
-Roll back
-Small step forward
-Press and release B while holding back

Depending on how quickly you release the B button in these set ups you can actually fail to detonate the 2nd grenade. This can be very unpredictable for your opponent and they may fall into the delayed 2nd detonation.

*The Invincible/Unpunishable(?) Attack.
This will teach you how to approach with a perfectly cooked grenade, exploding it in their proximity, while remaining invincible. Pretty sexy. I call this...

Getting the Virgins
-2x Short hop-fast fall
-Brief pause
-Short hop-evade
Alternate Technique 1
-4x Dash
-Short hop-evade
Alternate Technique 2
-2x Dash
-Short hop-fast fall
-Short hop-evade

During this time you should be approaching your opponent with your cooking grenade. Upon the final evade it will explode as you are dodging. Effectively making an invincible attack with a large floating hitbox. If they block, you will land with ample time to escape, throw or do whatever. Snake wins, buy a Ferrari.

Alternate Technique 3
There is a way to do this while rolling but it is much more difficult. The timing is so strict that you are better off counting down the fuse than relying on the previous gimmicks. You have about a half second of invincibility in your roll to prevent yourself from exploding. With how long the hitbox on the grenades actually last (it also seems to stay out longer after connecting with an enemy), executing this reliably is unlikely. What's nice about it is that you advance forward or retreat while exploding with unexpected speed. It also places you in an awkward position around your enemy, allowing for some bull****. Attempt at your own risk. It seems this is much easier to do while rolling backwards.

*Incorporating Mortar Slide: Ambiguous Grenade Pick Ups.
credited to...
The closest thing I usually get when varying up cooking nades is a shield dropped nade->roll backwards->non-contact mortar slide to pick it up and approach->shield/throw depending on distance from opponent. The nade usually explodes on impact if thrown right afterwards at a mid-distance.
The mortar slide can be used to stealthily pick up grenades with offensive coverage across the screen. This can lead to suprising set ups.

I Got Something In My Pocket For You
-Shield drop gren
-Roll backwards
-Mortar Slide over the grenade (make sure the dash attack frames are near the grenade)
-Brief pause
-Short hop-evade into opponent
Alternate Technique 1
-Shield drop gren, rolling backwards
-Mortar Slide over the grenade (make sure the dash attack frames are near the grenade)
-Short hop-throw
What's nice about this variant is that you can jump away from your opponent and throw it behind you. This creates a head-level, explosive barrier between you and your opponent, thwarting their efforts to chase you.

You don't have to roll backwards either. You can actually start the mortar slide quickly enough to pick it up right next to you giving you more time to mess around. Picking it up facing foward is much more difficult than backwards, so I recommend you do it facing backwards.

Alternate Technique 2
-Shield drop gren
-Mortar slide backwards (grenade pick up)
-Short hop-fast fall (short-med) OR roll (med-long) OR spot dodge (long)
-Throw

Hope this guide helped someone! If anyone wants something added let me know and I'll update tha post! If people are wanting some vids I'll see what I can do about that.

Elemental Knight

Smash Cadet
I'm a big fan of throwing a grenade short right away. If they approach, then they've got a grenade to deal with. If they don't, then as soon as it bounces on the ground, have Snake roll through the grenade to pick it up. If you shield immediately thereafter, the fully cooked grenade will explode, and you won't take damage. It's not something to do all the time, but it's a nice way to mix up an approach.

If they're really far away, this works with a medium grenade throw as well.

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
I use the 4-mississippi count too...haha..

On topic, nice guide. Problem is that I don't ever think about using elaborate grenade cooking methods when I'm in a real match lol, and I suppose I just don't feel like going through all the fuss. Your methods do allow for some better counting, rather than depending on your mind's count, so that's a plus :D.

The closest thing I usually get when varying up cooking nades is a shield dropped nade->roll backwards->non-contact mortar slide to pick it up and approach->shield/throw depending on distance from opponent. The nade usually explodes on impact if thrown right afterwards at a mid-distance.

gammonwalker

Smash Cadet
That's a pretty good idea! I'll add that to the guide later. Didn't even think about that.

AlAxe

Smash Journeyman
You can also spot dodge while holding a grenade and have it blow up in your opponents face with out getting hit. I pulled this off once in a sudden death for the win and it was f***ing amazing. Shielding works well too for this kind of tech.

StoleUrCar

Smash Journeyman
This guide is pretty cool :D

Nice work :chuckle:

question: about the mortar slide pick-up. What do u mean "doing it backwards"? How does one mortar slide backwards? o.O

unless u mean mortar slide away from your opponent instead of towards? *confused*

FrozenFire13

Smash Ace

question: about the mortar slide pick-up. What do u mean "doing it backwards"? How does one mortar slide backwards? o.O

unless u mean mortar slide away from your opponent instead of towards? *confused*
Mortar sliding backwards would be so sweet! Lol. Not that it would change it's usefulness much, but still. How awesome would that look?

gammonwalker

Smash Cadet

I mean the opposite direction you are facing! Ha no sliding backwards. I'll edit that later.

B-boy

Smash Rookie
sick but can u mack a vid about all tis stuff on youtube thtd be cooler

ShadowDigo

Smash Cadet
Omg, great thread! Just loved those techniques. I just laughed so loud when I read that 1-Mississipi 2-Mississipi... but I tried it out and it works well!!! Thank you very much, and keep up the great job you're doing;

shrodekill

Smash Cadet
what i usually use for timing is i pull the nade. shield drop. press B to throw new nade. pick up my nade. delay a small amount, then throw. Much more simple if you don't like to do shff a lot.

g-regulate

Smash Hero
this is a neat post. i spent a good hour one night trying to finagle with tricky nade stuff like this. definitely good to know, everyone should mingle with their own nade strats to confuse opponents

g-regulate

Smash Hero
i dunno if this is already written down, but i like to do something like

drop a nade
throw another nade
slight pause
mortar slide, picking up the first nade
hold shield, both nades blow up, and the mortar drops at around the same time.

so its like a triple explosions attack, and it also puts you in position to attack. nifty!

also, you dont have to "roll over" the nade with the mortar slide to pick it up, you can just simply drop a nade at your feet and if you mortar slide correctly, it will still pick it up, even if its behind you.

Fission_Mailed

Smash Rookie
great guide! I've also come up with a different method, too. Dunno if this has already been posted:

- light toss a grenade by tapping back
- jump up after it and catch it at the peak of it's throw
- doing the fair while catching the grenade, it'll explode almost right when you hit the ground, you should have enough time to shield
- doing the nair while catching the grenade, throw it right when you hit the ground and it should explode at mid distance

The timing is a little funky and it's probably something not to be done all the time, but it's a good way to mix things up a bit. I call it the "Alley-Oops" :)

TriffStar

Smash Rookie
I dunno whether this is worth noting but to hell with it.

If you drop a grenade, then immedeatly roll back, and again, immediatley mortar slide to pick it up, the grenade should explode at exactly the same time you mortar hits the floor from the mortar slide (Assuming it is uncharged and does not hit the opponent).

Although it only gives you a short time to throw the grenade or shield etc - You can pinpoint exactly when the grenade will explode which is pretty useful at times.

There are quite a number of other possibilites from this aswell. Depending on how close you mortar slide to your opponent you can do a number of things. Assuming your opponent just stands still (which is very unlikely but i might aswell note it) or goes in for the attack you can pinpoint exactly when the grenade will go off so when to shield the grenade so your opponent gets hit by the explosion but you don't.

This is probably the least useful part about it since it's pretty predicatble, and unless the opponent didnt see you pick up the grenade their likely to avoid any direct confrontation, especially with the mortar falling nearby aswell.

However, there are other possibilites. It is likely that your opponent will roll behind or away from you to avoid the mortar - At this point you can anticipate your opponents moves. You could either throw the grenade to where your opponent rolls or simply shield it so if they roll behind you they get hit by the blast.

It is also useful simply as a defensive move, so that you have more cover during your approach. Usually in a mortar slide you would have only the cover of your mortar, but with the grenade you have double the cover. For example - If you were to turn away from the mortar - your back would be covered by the mortar, and due to the hitbox of the explosion of the grenade being mostly infront of you, you can cover your front with your grenade. So you have your back covered with the mortar and the front covered with the grenade.

Hope this is useful to some people!

bludhoundz

Smash Ace
Definitely some good tactics. I use the blow up 2 grenades in one spot trick sometimes, it can be pretty good. Your methods seem to have better timing, I try to clock the grenade in my head while I do it so I mess up sometimes.

What do you guys think about grenades thrown down? They bounce up to a little higher than the height of the topmost platform on battlefield, and depending on when you took them out, they can explode at any time during the trajectory (making for another mortar almost).

max_power

Smash Rookie
I don't know if this will help or not, but I have this wonderful tactic for grenade cooking.

-Pull out grenade (shield drop )
-Do a full hop N-air, it will pick up your grenade. DI so your about medium to med-far from the opponent (if he approaches you, DI your N-air so you attack him)
-Once you fall and recover, immediately throw your grenade, it will hit him, bounce off and explode half a second later.

sMexy-Blu

Smash Lord
Another way to cook grenades is dropping the nade and grabbing it with an airdodge what you should do is Shieldrop Nade > Pickup > Short Hop > Z Drop > Airdodge if you've done it right you should of have picked up you're grenade by airdodging. :)

colddegree

Smash Cadet
my way is to shield drope a nade to a Usmash to a Dacus(dont charge it) the Dacus will grab the nade then throw it is a short ranged one though. you can also wait a sec and shiled for mindgames

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom