• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

(Tech.) B-reversing/stutter stepping the Raptor boost

Krigar

Smash Rookie
Okay.. it's not exactly stutter stepping or whatever, but you pretty much do this technique in a similar fashion.

To perform:
Start a Side-B AWAY from your opponent, then immediately smash TOWARD your opponent on the joystick, causing Falcon to reverse the Raptor boost so he actually goes toward your opponent.

How it helps:
By forcing Falcon into a B-reversal with the Raptor boost, he will not do the "wind up" that causes him to back away before rushing into your opponent. Instead he will boost starting from where he was initially standing. This causes him to get a bit more distance out of the boost, plus he will reach your opponent faster because he has to cover less ground from the start. Overally I got about 2 more sandbags worth of distance out of this while messing around in the online lobby.

Sorry I don't have a video, but it is fairly easy to perform as long as you can smash fast enough to cause him to spin around. I can do this with the default controls fairly easily. This isn't a really major thing, but anything that helps our Falcons is worth knowing.

Runeblade279

Smash Apprentice
Good discovery, just tested it out in training mode, pretty easy to pull off, pretty good dash mindgames, great against those without projectiles.

Good find!

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
Nice find. I like the added range. My crude test at Final Destination gave me the following results:

Regular Raptor - To second arrow thing on the ground (from center)
Reverse Raptor - Essentially to the edge of the level (from center)

Pretty decent upgrade.

Edit: I almost forgot this part: the timing seems really similar to Falcon's Dash Dance but from what I can tell it's slightly tighter. So yeah practice Dash Dancing with Falcon and this should come pretty easily as well.

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
I think this technique should be named the Rapid Reverse Raptor (RRR) for ease of communication.

Just my two cents. lol It's not my call though since I didn't discover it.

Reaver197

Smash Lord
Hrm hrrrm.

I'll have to give this a go at some point, and then stick in the guide if I have the OP's permission to.

Personally, I don't think we should name it anything flashy. Just give it an explanatory and technical name, so it speaks for itself.

Don't try to name it after yourself either. I swear to god...

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
Nice find... I assume this also works with Gdorf, which would help him alot.
Can anyone confirm this?

Oh and I agree that all that is needed for the name is Reverse Raptor. I just added the Rapid because I thought that the RRR abbreviation was cooler than the RR abbreviation. lol

Chris is me

Smash Apprentice
naw' it wouldn't help Gdorf at all.

That's probably Falcon's most important find ever. Like, really. Be proud of yourself. Being able to Raptor from farther away than most people think should buy him a few months of time while we find a reliabler approach game.

Careful at edges, and does it work with the Kick too? Maybe stuttering is something that's in a lot more of CF's game; if they're in his Fsmash and Falcon Punch...

Name should definitely be Shutter Boost (SS Boost?).

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
naw' it wouldn't help Gdorf at all.

That's probably Falcon's most important find ever. Like, really. Be proud of yourself. Being able to Raptor from farther away than most people think should buy him a few months of time while we find a reliabler approach game.

Careful at edges, and does it work with the Kick too? Maybe stuttering is something that's in a lot more of CF's game; if they're in his Fsmash and Falcon Punch...

Name should definitely be Shutter Boost (SS Boost?).
The Kick does not work as far as I can tell. I had the same idea after doing the reverse Raptor, but after trying it for a little while I never got it so I don't think it exists (and if it does it requires REALLY fast hands).

Also I don't think this is exactly a god-send. Sure it helps, but it's still the same old crappy Raptor Boost priority and lag. It this version had enormous priority then it would be an epic find but right now it's just a good find.

Krigar

Smash Rookie
Go ahead and add this technique to the guide if you'd like. All the names sound good, personally I'd call it a "Reversed Raptor"/"Reversed Raptor Boost" (etc) or whatever.

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
The Aerial Reverse Raptor Boost does NOT get the same extension effect that the ground version gets.

Just so you guys know. I was messing around in Training Mode and decided to try that out.

Medic

Smash Cadet
Hm. Interesting how all of Falcon's specials can flip around.
Looks solid for one-on-ones, but I think this might actually be a really nice teams find. If one teammate is on guard for a raptor boost and all of a sudden the other gets it...that might mess up their flow and give a serious advantage to your team.

Top Bottom