• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A new grab combo to add to your arsenal.

Natch

Smash Ace
NNID
Natch42
I discovered-what is hopefully-a new grab combo. It's limited to lower percents usually(my data shows that more than 1/3 of the characters are in the 24-28%* range), but some characters go as high as 65%*, and one character-Gdorf-is completly immune to it.

*Note: All percents are based on my tests, which did not factor in DI. I also don't have Wolf ot TLink, so I wasn't able to test those two.

Anyways, onto the actual combo.

Dthrow->Utilt. Best to have tap jumping off for this one.

That's what I got. You might be able to follow it up an aerial at lower percents(I've tried and succeeded a few times), but that's more or less all you're gonna get. And while it only adds a measly 7 or 8% to damage, you take what you can, right?

Anyways, I'd like to take the time to share some of the more notable statistics of how far this combo can be used. Please remember this does NOT factor DI into the equation, so all listed percents should be lowered a bit. For the higher numbers, it may be 7% or more below the listed number.

On the low ends(Below 20%):
-Gdorf is immune for some reason
-Mario, DK, Fox, Pikachu, Luigi, Ness, Sonic, Wario

On the very high ends(40%+)
-Samus goes to 52%
-Marth goes to 43%
-G&W goes to 51%
-Charizard goes to 45%
-Ice Climbers go to holy crap 65%
-Bowser goes to 48%

If you'd like to see a detailed list showing all the induvidual character percents, and a seperate tally categorized by percent ranges(Example: "24-28%: 13 Characters") then just ask and I'll do so.

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
Known for a while now but good job on compiling the percentage data. I use this one a lot depending on the character.

LittLeLives

Smash Apprentice
If you'd like to see a detailed list showing all the induvidual character percents, and a seperate tally categorized by percent ranges(Example: "24-28%: 13 Characters") then just ask and I'll do so.
I'd like to ask that you do so.

prOAPC

Smash Lord
i did that combo the first time i play with lucas
vs a heavy characater, you can do many u-tilts, the same way you can do a sh nair to u-tilt
if you can hit like 2 or 3 u-tilts, but the next u-tilt won't hit because the enemy is high, stay in the same place i do one of these things:
- if your enemy air dodge, use a up smash
- if your enemy try to stop you with a dair, dodge it with a roll, then grab again
- if your enemy jump, follow him with a pk thunder or something, use your imagination :p

Crooked Crow

drank from lakes of sorrow
already knew about this one lol
thanks for sharing the percents though, they could be really useful

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
^^^
Depends a lot on the opponent. Against light or floaty characters like Olimar or Jigglypuff I usually stick with Utilit because they can get away from your PK Thunder pretty easily. However, against bigger characters (like DK or Bowser) or fast falling characters (like Fox or Falco) I go with PK Thunder at lower percentages. At very low percentages against these characters you can combo dthrow to PKT1 to PKT2 by hitting them with the side of the head and then hitting yourself up and into them. Uair works nicely sometimes too.

chubb-o-wub

Smash Journeyman
I can't test this combo, but it goes somewhat like this.

Dtilt x2, A, A, "L + A", Dthrow, Utilt/PKT1. Ripping from the combo mentioned by Natch, it could work

PrivateRolf

Smash Rookie

Dtilt x2, A, A, "L + A", Dthrow, Utilt/PKT1. Ripping from the combo mentioned by Natch, it could work
Even if the second dtilt connects into the first A*, the second A has about a 50% chance of knocking them backward so they can either roll or jump out of the combo.

Just tested it.

*I mean that the dtilt could knock them far enough back that they could easily escape the combo.

edit: typos

prOAPC

Smash Lord
So what would be better;
D:throw > U:tilt
[OR]
D:throw > PK Thunder?
read my post :p
i did that combo the first time i play with lucas
vs a heavy characater, you can do many u-tilts, the same way you can do a sh nair to u-tilt
if you can hit like 2 or 3 u-tilts, but the next u-tilt won't hit because the enemy is high, stay in the same place i do one of these things:
- if your enemy air dodge, use a up smash
- if your enemy try to stop you with a dair, dodge it with a roll, then grab again
- if your enemy jump, follow him with a pk thunder or something, use your imagination :p

Trozz

Smash Ace
Eh. I haven't had much luck landing this combo, mainly because I rack too much damage on my opponent before I get a clear chance to use a grab. People without damage usually are more aggressive and will destroy you if you miss a grab. When I do land a grab, I usually just throw them towards the edge (or up if I know it can kill) then harass with PKT/b-air/f-air/etc.

GofG

Smash Champion
At 0%, I've been going for dthrow > uair. If you pull the uair out as soon as you possibly can, then they can't airdodge it. It does a decent ~19%. Will this do better?

apguy13

Smash Rookie
Yea so far I've concluded that the dthrow to uair works best at a low percent. (if they get hit up further they will have more time to dodge - correct me if I'm wrong) The dthrow to PKT may be a bit more reliable. If you see which direction they're falling down, you can always turn the PKT into a PKT2 in their direction. That'd be a very surprising attack.

Jihnsius

Smash Lord

Both d-tilts can be shielded between, and a gentleman on the second-third hit of the jab combo will result in too much lag to connect the following grab unless your opponent is just standing there.

As for down-throw followups:
At low percentages, up-tilt works nicely and can be used to juggle someone not expecting it to be chained. However, anything after the first up-tilt at low percentages can be out-prioritized or stalled. One trick I like to use is once the opponent has gotten used to or knows about up-tilt juggling, use one up-tilt and follow it up with a PK Thunder looped around to hit yourself from whichever side they might've DId to.
At mid percentages, full jump up-air, possible to use PK Thunder to chase DI afterwards.
At high percentages, about the only thing you can do is PK Thunder and loop it in front of their dodge. Not a good idea on characters that have quick fall moves, such as YLink, Kirby, etc.

Has anyone found any use for up-throw?

Top Bottom