• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do you fight Ike?

FishkeeperTimmay!

Smash Ace
Hello, this is a thread designed to collect up-to-date info on Match-ups for the Ike boards, which is always in desperate need of good info.

I come to you today with a simple set of questions, attempting to get the "other side" of ideas pertaining to the Matchups against Ike. Its just a few simple questions I'm hoping to get answered;

1. What is your general opinion of Ike as a character?
2. What moves do you fear from Ike?
3. Which moves do not trouble you at all?
4. Which moves/techniques do you use against Ike to gain the advantage?
5. What specific edgeguards do you employ versus Ike?

Feel free to add anything else that doesn't fit into the questions criteria. The goal is to collect information, so anything s useful.

On a side note, I may feel the need to quote this info. If you don't wished to be quoted, please tell me in your posts, and I will not quote you.

Thanks in advance. ^^

epic of DE

Smash Journeyman
Newark, DE (only a mile from University of Delawar
Hm...well of my general oponion of Ike is that he is a power character that excells with proper spacing. Some of Ike's moves do have a little lag starting and finishing though the power of them are perhaps the most powerful considering he isn't an extremely large heavy character.

The moves I fear of Ike are really just three moves, his AAA combo that inflicts at least 16% consistently/ his U-smash that reaches all around him when he swings/ and his U-air (Ike-copter as far as I go) as that seems to have suprisingly good priority.

Of the few things I don't fear of Ike are his F-smash as that only hits you if you get jittery and start rolling without thinking about it. The other move that I don't fear is his Counter as in most cases Falcon won't have the powerful shots that Ike will want to counter. Besides messing up on Counter does leave the Ike open for many moves such as a F-smash or a knee if you're daring.

Any time I go against Ike in 1v1 the main rule I know throughout the fight is this:
DON'T APPROACH FROM DIRECTLY ABOVE!
Since Falcon doesn't possess the effective D-air that he had recently the U-smash, U-air, and probably U-tilt will outprioritize anything you try.
Unless you capitilize on the Ike player's mistakes landing sufficient blows to KO are difficult as something as simple as AAA will knock you back and force you to try approaching him again.

There's no doubt that for falcon to rack up damage faking out the Ike will be what offers you the opportunity to either grab or do a sliding U-smash to lead into an U-air or N-air.

For falcon's that want to edge-guard Ike's take advantage that your U-B travels very high very fast. If the Ike player doesn't try and use QuickDraw(?) (Smash-B) to recover and you are trying to edge-guard the Ike wait until the last second to grab the ledge with U-B or else you'll either allow the Ike to grab the stage or worse be spiked by the last shot of Aether.

Well thats my best impression of me using CF against Ike as I've played against NoVaLombardia's Ike (creator of the Ike Super armor list) and while neither of us are incredible at brawl we both are proficient at using our characters. Quote or edit whatever you wish to.

Runeblade279

Smash Apprentice
Hey, welcome to the Falcon boards, ignore the few trolls!

Great idea, I might steal it so I have a reason to bump -my- matchups thread..

Anyways, to the point!

1. Personally, I think Ike is a very potent character in the right hands, sure he's slow, but he has amazing KO options, phenomenal pushback, (shield his hits and sometimes you can't even grab) a very evil jab combo, and good approach. His downfall is his pretty gimpable recovery, but as Ike you should be hitting them off first. =)
2. Jab Combo. AAA is eeeevil. Knockback, damage, speed, range, stringing power, it's got it all. Another move to watch out for is his bloody Usmash, I can't roll behind Ike or I eat it. Fsmash is dangerous, but once you learn its speed, pretty easy to predict. I also fear his uair, it's deceptively quick and powerful. His other aerials = meh.
3. Ike's grabs are lol. Quick Draw doesn't bother me, but I've not met an Ike who can Grand Viper properly, so I don't know if I'm just suffering from bad opponents here. I also don't really fear his tilts much, easier to dodge than smashes imo, and carry less weight. His smashes are the only character's moves that actually scare me lol.
4. Lots of spot dodging, lots of grabbing. BUT -- Don't run straight at him, I'm asking to get jabbed if I do that. I can't roll behind him due to usmash, and he outranges me everywhere else. A well played Ike is a challenge. Mostly, I'll try and get in the grab and take to the air, Falcon's aerials are quite sick. I tend to play hit-and-run against Ike. I'll punish his laggy moves, but since I can't roll behind him or run into his jabs, I often get a few moves off, then space back out so I can come in again.
5. Hit him with anything once you get him off basically. If possible, dair or aerial raptor boost for the spike, since even if he's too low to actually kill, that's the worst position for Ike's recovery. But that isn't always possible, so I basically just knock him back enough so he can't get back (I've been known to tank Quick Draws so he falls to his death as well) and then recover myself, since Falcon's recovery is above average at the least.

Feel free to quote me, but don't take me as the be-all, end-all, my opponent selection is pretty limited, so I might be wrong about some things. More people replying should help ya.

Hope I gave you something useful! =)

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
1. I think Ike is an average character. His aerials are deceptively good (to me at least) and his reach on the ground gives him a good ground game. His recovery is horrid and while he doesn't have the big frame of the typical heavyweight, he still moves like one. Ike is very easy to pick up and play but progressing much beyond that initial level of skill is more difficult in comparison to most other characters.

2. Ike's AAA is his bread and butter. Without it he would be a bad character. Usmash is deadly and his aerials are very versatile (each one is good in different situations). SH-Fair is a great move against characters without projectiles like Falcon. His Dair spike is my favorite spike in the game (or least favorite when I'm on the wrong end of it lol). Utilt is a great move as well.

3. Side B by itself is not a very good move for attacking and is easily gimped when used as a recovery. However, Side B -> AAA is deadly because it allows him to dash quickly right into his AAA combo. His Ftilt doesn't really bother me either because most Ike player's know that AAA is a better option 90% of the time. His Dsmash is not that great in my opinion because compared to his other two Smashes it has pitiful range.

4. I'm not going to get into the specifics because that would make me more vulnerable to Ike players, but overall I generally play a Bait and Punish game against Ike. I try to be as evasive as possible and wait for the Ike player to use a wrong move that is laggy enough for me to punish him. After he's in the air I usually have a significant advantage because he is not that great of a defensive air character.

5. Honestly I love it when Ike's come out to edgeguard me because usually it results in me edgeguarding them. I can't tell you how many times I've Falcon Dive-ed and sweetspotted the ledge just as Ike was trying to come down on it with his Ether. This results in a very easy Ike edgehog. Ike players need to be careful to not get themselves in a situation where they cannot EASILY return to the stage after they are down edgeguarding because stuff like this will happen to them. As for when I edgeguard, I just pretty much try and gimp the SideB recovery by simply running into it if getting an attack in is not an option. If Ike is trying to come back with his UpB (taking a trajectory that puts him below the edge usually) I just try to bump him with the gimp knee because I know something as simple as that will knock him out of UpB range a lot of the time.

SirroMinus1

SiNiStEr MiNiStEr
NNID
Ajarudaru
1. What is your general opinion of Ike as a character?
2. What moves do you fear from Ike?
3. Which moves do not trouble you at all?
4. Which moves/techniques do you use against Ike to gain the advantage?
5. What specific edgeguards do you employ versus Ike?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. ike is slow and ike players can be fooled easily.
2. most of his moves can kill so just try your hardest to out think opponent.
3. all of his speacils.
4. dashing twords ike then then short hoping backwards. up tilts and great edge guarding.
5. back airs and down airs off the edge.

a better way for me to explain this is by sending you a vid of me playing a ike. :pikachu:

F5Hazardousdoc

Smash Ace
Ike players need their mindgames if their gonna survive in the metagame atmosphere. I doubt you're gonna fool an ike player easily. They use lots of their low lag moves first, so they aren't gonna go out on a limb for a potshot. I never underestimate Ike users, except myself XD

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
If I know anything, this matchup is completely based on baiting and punishing for both characters.

The matchup is in Ike's favor, since he has things like the completely superior jab. Otherwise they have different things going for them. Ike has a sword to keep himself safe with. Falcon has running speed to get away. Otherwise they have attacks that can be used for almost identical situations. Notably you spike with the D-air, you kill with the B-air, you tech punish with the Forward B, and you have unique recovery tactics in just your Up-B.

Sh1n0b1

Smash Journeyman
1. Ike is pretty average. I have never had any trouble against Ike players. But he outranges you really badly, out prioritizes you and has much stronger moves. He can be tough if he is used in the right hands.

2. His neutral A combo is very dangerous. His back air and neutral air scare me too. Plus using a side b to the neutral A combo is pretty dangerous.

3. His forward, down, and up smash. Since they are so slow there shouldn't be any worry.

4. I basically use my speed against him because Ike is slower than Falcon. Uairs are very good against him too. Also just jumping at Ike while he is using his side b is a great option because it gets gimped fairly easily

5. Edgeguards against ike players are very easy IMO. First of all, if he uses his side b just jump in front of it and he is already gimped. Second of all his up b has very poor horizontal reach. If an ike player tries to edgeguard me i usually find my self edgeguarding them instead. Uairs, Bairs, and Up B's are useful too.

BananaTrooper

Smash Journeyman
one of my friends is an ike main and i play him daily.
i played a marth ike team in a tourney and beat them 2-0 (in losers bracket though) :pikachu:
Is that really all you are basing this on - matches with your friend and a doubles team in the losers bracket at a tourney? Have you perhaps considered that your friend may not be the greatest Ike player? Also, maybe there's a reason that the team you beat was in the losers bracket? Hmmm.

Also, you didn't beat the marth and ike team; you and your teammate beat them. There's a difference. Also, 2 -0 is nothing to brag about.

Ike players need their mindgames if their gonna survive in the metagame atmosphere. I doubt you're gonna fool an ike player easily.
What he said. Ike has nothing on good players without mindgames. A stupid Ike is a dead Ike.

Ayaz18

Smash Champion
well to sum it up if im playing an Ike player that tries to hit any of his smashes, i know it's a done deal for him. Falcon now is more technical and requires spacing and timing, and Ike is someone who needs to be offensive. However an Ike using aerials (mostly neutral air) to try and rack up damage can be hard to beat, but easy if not rushed. Falcon players need to take their sweet time in their match because his lack of combo's he needs to hit percise moves with a wide range of attacks to keep the opponent guessing. If an Ike were to tempt me to attack like crazy by seeming defensless i would probably be crushed because of Falcon's lag time of attacks.

Keitaro

Banned via Administration
I really like this thread cause I have a $10 mm against an Ike with my Falcon on the 17th.

Top Bottom