• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do you fight Ike?

FishkeeperTimmay!

Smash Ace
Hello, this is a thread designed to collect up-to-date info on Match-ups for the Ike boards, which is always in desperate need of good info.

I come to you today with a simple set of questions, attempting to get the "other side" of ideas pertaining to the Matchups against Ike. Its just a few simple questions I'm hoping to get answered;

1. What is your general opinion of Ike as a character?
2. What moves do you fear from Ike?
3. Which moves do not trouble you at all?
4. Which moves/techniques do you use against Ike to gain the advantage?
5. What specific edgeguards do you employ versus Ike?

Feel free to add anything else that doesn't fit into the questions criteria. The goal is to collect information, so anything s useful.

On a side note, I may feel the need to quote this info. If you don't wished to be quoted, please tell me in your posts, and I will not quote you.

Thanks in advance. ^^

Dream Land Works

Smash Journeyman
1. I think Ike is a good character when used smart (quick moves for a majority of the match then a smash whenever the time is right). I defiantly think Ike has potential to be a good character and I have lost to Ikes a few times, but I don't think anyone really even is close to being great with Ike.

2. The moves I fear from Ike are jabs, his less laggy aerials, well placed Quick Draws, and well placed Smashes.

3. His throws, Down Smash, Counter (though there is potential with this, no one has used it amazingly against my Diddy Kong), and his tilts other than forward tilt.

4. With Diddy Kong, bananas works extremely well for me. Ike really can't do much besides block/Counter again the bananas and Diddy is likely to get that banana back soon after. Also the dash attack into anything usually works well against Ike. Forward Smash, Down Smash, and F-air are usually my kill moves in the match.

5. Ike can be pretty hard to edge guard. The D-air/Barrels barely ever hit Ike when I use them against him so I usually go for Monkey Flips into Diddy Humps and F-air. Also semi-WoP with B-air's works sometimes too.

Overall, I think Diddy has a good advantage over Ike and if the Diddy player doesn't make mistakes which lead him into get killed by Ike's aerials and smashes, then Diddy Kong should really win most of the time.

Kayzee

Smash Journeyman
Hello, this is a thread designed to collect up-to-date info on Match-ups for the Ike boards, which is always in desperate need of good info.

I come to you today with a simple set of questions, attempting to get the "other side" of ideas pertaining to the Matchups against Ike. Its just a few simple questions I'm hoping to get answered;

Feel free to add anything else that doesn't fit into the questions criteria. The goal is to collect information, so anything s useful.

On a side note, I may feel the need to quote this info. If you don't wished to be quoted, please tell me in your posts, and I will not quote you.

Thanks in advance. ^^
1. Ike is a character noobs have come to fear.
2. I fear Ike's upsmash. Diddy is light, and gets KOed off the top of the stage easily, and Ike's upsmash covers 180 degrees around his body.
3. Other than Ike's upsmash, no moves trouble me, because all Ike's moves are laggy and punishable.
4. I play defensively. I wait until he makes a move, then run in and deal damage while he's in lag.
5. A well placed fair, or bair usually gets the job done. Ike can be hard to edgeguard.

I hope that helps.

Doctor T

Smash Journeyman
Before I start, I just wanted to say that I have a friend that is pretty good with Ike, though by tournament standards he is probably pretty clueless. Regardless, his Ike gives me a lot of trouble with most of the characters I play. However, with Diddy I usually goof around and still win. If you use those bananas properly, it is pretty much impossible for Ike to take control of the battle because he is so slow. If not for the bananas, Ike would be a much more dangerous opponent for such a short-ranged fighter.

Ike may be slow, but he is a force to be reckoned with. Just about every one of his attacks is a Kill Move, making him a very dangerous opponent for light characters like Diddy. However; Ike may be the best character at punishing mistakes, but he is also one of the best characters to punish for his mistakes. Overall I consider Diddy to have a huge advantage over Ike, mainly because his bananas make it hard for Ike to do anything.

Most of them. Seriously. A slight breeze can KO Diddy Kong. The attacks I fear the most however, is his Forward and Upward Smashes (obviously). All he has to do is get you once with one of those and its over.

His aerials because Diddy's are so far superior, and his Side-B dash is mostly useless with bananas on the battlefield.

BANANAS BANANAS BANANAS BANANAS BANANAS. Oh, and maybe some Bananas too. Seriously, if you don't use bananas against Ike, Diddy has a huge disadvantage. But if you use them, that gives Diddy a huge advantage. A couple of well-placed bananas makes it hard for Ike to do anything. Try to stay away from him unless he is either in midair or slipping.

I always follow him off the stage. Ike really has a hard time in the air if you are constantly barraging him with attacks, and he has no quick retaliation besides his Up-B off the stage. Most of the time just the act of following him off can get you the kill, even if you don't hit him with an attack. Ike has a pretty lousy recovery, so use that to your advantage. Just be careful not to get spiked by his Up-B.

--E--

Smash Rookie
FAT. Has a nice sword.

Up Smash

None of them trouble me cause they take forever.

Speed/banana

Follow and Up-B Spike or fair.

ellelaby's younger brother

Smash Apprentice

4. Which moves/techniques do you use against Ike?

Thanks in advance. ^^
1. What is your general opinion of Ike as a character? Ike is a very strong character he is a bit slow but has some quick moves which make sometimes make him unpredictable. I don't use Ike a lot but he has awesome potential with all of his smash attacks. His up-b and f-air are great moves.

2. What moves do you fear from Ike? I fear all of his smash attacks which can all ko at very low hp but most of all his f-smash. There is some lag time before and after the move but it scares me :(. His f-air and d-air are very fearsome.

3. Which moves do not trouble you at all? Ike doesn't have many moves which do not trouble me, most of them do trouble me actually except for his b move. It is very slow and I never get caught up in it.

4. Which moves/techniques do you use against Ike? I use Diddy's speed to it's max to clean up Ike so he can't get any moves in. I usually roll and dodge most of Ike's attacks which are slow which gives me time to smash Ike to his death. I also use bananas to trick Ike and my opponent.

5. What specific edgeguards do you employ versus Ike? I keep bananas at the edge to keep Ike on the downside and for me to win. I edge guard all the time.

Overall I think Diddy is the better character.

PhatyCHONG

Smash Apprentice
Strong & has potential [lol GOD TIER]. I played a really good ike at a tourney and I was impressed w/ Fair Fast fall, it was a great way to space me from approaching Ike.

Bair, Usmash

None of them trouble me cause they take forever.

I space myself with nanner & popgun, also I sometimes try to pick a map with alot of approaching options such as Battlefield.

Ledge Grab /w invincibility frames to have IKE be stocked, predict the distance for where he will use his sideB then punish it. Popgun is a great way to edgeguard as well the traditional Dspike

ike isnt that hard, you just have to space yourself out of his sword range
you can use popgun against him because all of his aerials are pretty slow.

@PhatyCHONG: make sure you check the date before you post.
the last post was on 5/5/08 - thus ultra bump
O dear I am so sorry I didn't even realize it

Nitrix

Smash Ace

1. I love using Ike :)

He is a fun and powerful character, but his recovery limits his potential

2. I fear his AAA combo, his aerials, Up-Smash, F-Smash

3. Everything else

4. Bananas!!!11!!!

5. Getting in the way of his Quickdraw to destroy his horizontal recovery, using the popgun to annoy him, maybe sneaking in a quick aerial.

Adler

Smash Apprentice
1.) Ike is tough character with strong attacks with large hitboxes and quick attacks with almost equal power. I mained Ike for a long time before I started getting better with other characters as well.

2.) At lower damages: His f-throw can catch you off guard (especially if he starts his neutral combo but stops before the third hit), his neutral combo is faster than his other attacks and can rack up damage. At higher damages: Many of his attacks can KO you including Up-smash, Side-smash, quick draw (unless there's a banana in the way), B-air and even his tilts.
Also you should watch out for F-air, it's got good power and range but it also has a massive hitbox.

3.) ........This is a long list.
Most of his attacks are situational (just don't be in that situation).
Counter is near useless (it's better on Marth) and will miss most of the time.
Eruption is easily avoided and punished.
Up-air is not only slow with limited range, it is his only attack which can hit above him in the air (so you should be ready for it).

4.) Throw bananas everywhere, they're a great defence against quick draw and Ike will be too busy trying to avoid them to use any attack which can't be punished (watch out for B-air though).

5.) Ike has a poor horizontal recovery, quick draw leaves him helpless so you can air dodge infront of him.
If he is bellow the ledge, Aether has good recovery potential, it's hard to edgehog because it lasts so long and your invincibility might wear off, so spike him before he uses it.

Top Bottom