• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do you fight Ike?

FishkeeperTimmay!

Smash Ace
Hello, this is a thread designed to collect up-to-date info on Match-ups for the Ike boards, which is always in desperate need of good info.

I come to you today with a simple set of questions, attempting to get the "other side" of ideas pertaining to the Matchups against Ike. Its just a few simple questions I'm hoping to get answered;

1. What is your general opinion of Ike as a character?
2. What moves do you fear from Ike?
3. Which moves do not trouble you at all?
4. Which moves/techniques do you use against Ike to gain the advantage?
5. What specific edgeguards do you employ versus Ike?

Feel free to add anything else that doesn't fit into the questions criteria. The goal is to collect information, so anything s useful.

On a side note, I may feel the need to quote this info. If you don't wished to be quoted, please tell me in your posts, and I will not quote you.

Thanks in advance. ^^

boss8

Smash Hero
IKE doesn't really scare me at all......

1.ike as a character has potential....and mindgames incorporated into your gameplay can make you a beast with ike....IMO i don't think he is that great of a character.

2.i hate his A.A.A thingy....and his Usmash...and his Forword B....thats about it..

3.forword smash...to much lagg doesn't scare me.....down smash doesn't....and his u air or tilt doesn't..or Fair...

4.basically Bair to...uair..uair...uair..uair...is a free 40% on ikes...followed by a grab....freestyling combos on ike is easy...

5.if i kick him off stage at a right angle i will flOOd.....he has 2 options in coming back so that doesn't scare me either....

in the end i don't like any character with a sword....gun..or any weponry i go straight fist.....ike is not a threat...unless you are ken...lee..or azen.

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
Same here, boss8. I personally think that Mario and Ike are even when it comes to this match-up.

1. Ike's a good character due to his range, power, and weight. He's not as good as some people thinks he is due to him being slow and laggy.

2. F-smash can be a bother if I make a huge mistake. I've realized that F-smash isn't really that much to fear anymore since Mario can just run up and U-smash if he's close enough due to the start-up of F-smash. AAA combo isn't really something to fear for me, but it can get you into trouble at times. Up-tilt, F-tilt, and U-smash can spell trouble at times too.

3. Dair, Side-B, Up-B, Fair (once you see it a bunch of times, you adapt easily to the attack), and other attacks not listed on #2. Ike's slow. :)

4. I use fireballs to prevent his Side-B approach or any other approaches and I use that for edgeguarding and coming back on the stage. I get close to Ike as I can since Ike has a hard time dealing with Mario due to his fast attacks like Dair, Bair, Uair, smashes, and Mario's grabs. Rolling's nice if Ike does something like U-tilt. U-tilt combos are too good against Ike and using cape can save you at times against Ike (then again, that could be said for any character.)

5. If he's off the stage, I usually chase after him and either use fireballs, bairs, uairs, or a combination of all three to get him off the stage. That's when I'll edgehog if I have a feeling he won't make it back to the stage once I grab it. FLUDD is uber good against Ike considering I'm an Ike main also and have been gimped because of FLUDD, but I don't really think of using it that much against Ike. I'm going to start incorporating that into my playstyle.

Mario FTW! :)

Koga

Smash Journeyman
Ike's not that scary. Fireballs, Fireballs and more Fireballs= Win vs Ike

Kanzaki

Smash Champion
Ike is too slow. I play Ike's too much, at a distance, I just spam fire balls.. and then up close, I just keep doing short hop double uairs/bairs. Those moves comes out faster than like all of Ike's moves. I just keep my spacing and I'm good. Ike's one of the few I actually use the FLUDD on.

-Too slow of a character, most moves has too much starting animation that I can spot and defend against.

-Probably fair/bair, seeing as how that's Ike's fastest moves in my opinion..

-Probably everything else.

-Short hop double uair/bair, and spacing. Depending on the moves that doesn't hit behind Ike, I even cape him sometimes for a lil extra damage, to any moves.

-Bair, uair, FLUDD, cape... or sometimes just jump out in front of his side b.

Jimbo_G

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0920-1016-4491
Yeah, I'm not too fond of Ike. He was awesome when he was new and so extremely different than the other characters, but now that things have developed I think he is a bit lacking.

I think Ike in general is too limited to be very useful. I find it easy to move around him and counter his attacks.

The move I fear the most is his Usmash because of the HUGE arch it makes. It's more effective than his down smash for clearing an area and since it's slow it deals full damage even after the move appears to be over. I also hate his AAA combo since there's no way of escaping it and just knocks you completely out of his way.

His Ub is something I have no problem with at all. People constantly try using it on me and I just side-step the thing and nail them with an Usmash every time. His Sb is also nothing to worry about as a Mario player since fireballs stop him dead in his tracks.

Fireballs work wonderfully against Ike, completely stopping him in whatever he's doing. While with other characters I work to stay in the air in order to be a step ahead of my opponent, with Ike I play exactly the opposite. I fight very stiffly against him, walking so I can stop on a dime and almost never rolling to avoid being caught by his long winded swings. There's no need to roll and waste time when blocking his attacks leaves him MORE than vulnerable for a counter. This way I beat him to nearly every punch and just tap him to death until he's damaged enough to start using finishing moves. He's just not fast enough to handle taps and tilts.

FLUDD works like a dream, as well as spiking him if he's going to side B to recover. Unfortunately edgehogging doesn't work on him in my experience since his Ub has a longer-lasting hitbox then my invincibility frames, always knocking me out of the way no matter what I try.

Top Bottom