• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do you fight Ike?

FishkeeperTimmay!

Smash Ace
Hello, this is a thread designed to collect up-to-date info on Match-ups for the Ike boards, which is always in desperate need of good info.

I come to you today with a simple set of questions, attempting to get the "other side" of ideas pertaining to the Matchups against Ike. Its just a few simple questions I'm hoping to get answered;

1. What is your general opinion of Ike as a character?
2. What moves do you fear from Ike?
3. Which moves do not trouble you at all?
4. Which moves/techniques do you use against Ike to gain the advantage?
5. What specific edgeguards do you employ versus Ike?

Feel free to add anything else that doesn't fit into the questions criteria. The goal is to collect information, so anything s useful.

On a side note, I may feel the need to quote this info. If you don't wished to be quoted, please tell me in your posts, and I will not quote you.

Thanks in advance. ^^

jinofcoolnes

Smash Journeyman
I be Glad to help.

1.Heavy hitter big puching bag.Quite the easy match up for Marth.

2.His B-air it comes out quick and its really strong and also almost no lag after Ike use's it.

Also Ike's Netural AAA combo it's quick but the does not have that much killing power tho it can be jabcanceled to a Grab if the player is quick.I find Netural AAA to be the most annoying tool for Ike.

3.Mostly every thing else...Most of Ike's attacks i can dodge and punish.

4.Teching Ftrows, Fairs, Down tilts, dancingblade's(down combo and forward combo).
Mainly because thier quick strong attacks and have very little lag and well Ike's a bit on the slow side.

5.Mostly Double Fairs to edge guard.

Also Sometime's i stage spike Ike with Marths UpB or Bair and casual footstool if he's under the stage and of course Marth's counter.

Quote Me if you want.

lain

Smash Master
you are being very annoying. don't spam every thread with this.

keep discussion of ike in your OWN thread.

also, ike sucks. get over it.

jinofcoolnes

Smash Journeyman
you are being very annoying. don't spam every thread with this.

keep discussion of ike in your OWN thread.
I dont see how this is bad, he is talking about Marths match up vs Ike which i think allow's it to be in this part of the forum.

also, ike sucks. get over it.
It is not really wise to make assumptions since as a assumption are almost always up for debate.

Also ironicly you spamed a thread by telling someone that spamed they spamed a thread.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
1. He is ok. On paper he has the tools to compete. Jab combo is a solid damage builder that is fairly safe on block when fully spaced. Decent range and speed. Has two aerials that are good for zoning, Fair and Nair. Fair is more defensive while Nair is more offensive IMO. U-tilt is good for walls on the ground and killing. His grabs aren't amazing, but Marth's grabs aren't stellar at all so I can't say **** about Ike in this department. lol. Bair is a good finisher and useful for RARing. His QD is good for mobility and spacing.

Only thing is that he has glaring weaknesses and gets CGed to hell by anyone with a CG. Plus his recovery is predictable and he is easily gimped. Also projectile users shut down QD approaches. So, yeah on paper he is good, but then in his match-ups he gets ganked by quite a few characters and his recovery is easy to take advantage of.

2. Ummm. Nothing really tbh. His jab combo is nice, but if you really pay attention and don't do anything stupid you won't get hit by his smashes. Maybe his F-tilt since it kills well and is faster then his smashes. His d-smash is fast but actually has less knockback then his U-tilt. His Bair deserves alot of respect actually. Great knockback, solid damage, good speed and good range. So yeah, I look out for that Bair and his f-tilt I guess.

3. His smashes and eruption. Pretty much his whole move list that isn't good. Which is like over half his moves. Sorry, but that's how I honestly feel. Jab combo, Fair, Nair, Bair, U-tilt, F-tilt, grabs, and QD are good. The rest aren't worth talking about. Uair is ok, but kind of slow. Still it's good for punishing airdodges since it stays out for a bit.

4. Depends. If Ike aggros Marth, he can just counter on reaction. If he camps, Marth can rush and attack his shield safely with tilts and fairs. It's harder for Ike, since once Marth gets close he can outspeed him and outspace his faster moves.

5. Marth can just run off and fair Ike if he is low and usually Ike will be done. Even if Ike up b's Marth can just up b back in time to grab the ledge and Ike will go straight to his death. And then there is the usual gimp of just throwing yourself in the way of the QD so you eat the hit and Ike just dies.

Quote me if you want. It's up to you.

lain

Smash Master
uhhh he posted this in every forum. this is annoying. i'm sorry, but this is annoying.

∫unk

Smash Master
STFU plz.

kthnxbai.
QFT

I'd like to add that Ike really needs to be in the center of the stage to stand any chance at all. Counter ***** everything Ike does.. including recovery (if Ike's going to use B up and Marth is grabbing the edge, just drop down and counter, otherwise a simple Fair off the edge gimps).

Ike's too slow to be reactive/defensive, but his startup on most of his attacks are so slow that his approach is terrible too.

Shield -> Jab combo is one of the few fast reliable defensive options for Ike. But again, for Marth you can easily bait it then counter.

SiShenDao

Smash Apprentice
1. A tough character you have to be careful not to make any mistakes, probably one of the most even matches vs marth
2. I really don't fear any, if I did i'd probably fall for them more from the fear. staying calm vs someone like Ike is very important.
3. counter and dtilt generally don't hit me.
4. at 0-5% an instant fthrow to fsmash generally deals about 24% due to instant sweetspot. i also enjoy sheilding his fair and punishing with a damage dancing blade combo.
5. i prefer using fair or counter.

Smash Apprentice
1. A slow character who has some heavy-hitting moves.
2. All of them (jk). Counter, fair, and side-B (the name escapes me at the moment). I try not to get hit by any, though...
3. Fsmash. Although good, 90% of the time it can be dodged if you are paying attention (I have watched an Ike start their fsmash, and then hit them with a move before they hit me). If you aren't paying attention, you're screwed, though. I don't fear any of his slow moves.
4. Moving. Seriously, I move. Faster than Ike. I also attack faster than him (this is gross oversimplification, but you get the idea.)
5. I'm not really sure how to counter Aether, but I get in the way of his side-b. Or I just fair him.

fire_wulf

Smash Journeyman
To counter Aether you seriously just get in range and hit vB. I play both Ike and Marth.. my friends marth got very good at countering me. At any point after Ike jumps during Aether.. he is out of Super Armor and can be countered. If he throws the sword above the level.. run in and counter. if it looks like a sweet spot and you just see the sword barely spinning above the ledge.. SH counter. IF you aren't going to get the counter... just shield the whole thing and wait for the landing lag then do whatever. This has all been done to me multiple time and i have seen all of it work.

The only sweet spot for the ledge with Ike is if he doesn't look like he is goind to make the ledge and then barely grabs the edge. Seriously.. its so hard i get scared even trying it.

Gimping Ike is one of the easiest ways to kill him. Double fair him off stage.. counter.. air dodge a Quick Draw.. My friends have even gotten good at edge hogging Aether.. sounds impossible.. nope.. just tough.

Enjoy beating up Ike's.. my friends do. But trust me.. i make them pay a lot of times to by getting quick kills.

Smash Apprentice
Thanks. Aether was the biggest part of Ike that was giving me trouble. I knew I could gimp it, I just wasn't sure how.

BacklashMarth

Smash Lord
I'll be quick since most things were already said.

1. He's alright. I'd use him myself if my brother didn't.
2. Standard jab combo annoys me to no end and that ridiculous side smash. Quick draw also.
3. Anything that isn't on #2.
4. Fair, counter, dancing blade are all i need. Sheildbreaker works too.
5. Countering Ike's up+b and his quick draw.

DarkRunner00

Smash Journeyman
1. What is your general opinion of Ike as a character?
2. What moves do you fear from Ike?
3. Which moves do not trouble you at all?
4. Which moves/techniques do you use against Ike to gain the advantage?
5. What specific edgeguards do you employ versus Ike?

1. Before Brawl came out in the U.S., I was readying up to become an Ike user. In fact I loved him and studied him crazy--I thought that his slowness wouldn't bring him down due to his heaviness and power.

Sadly, upon playing as him, he is incredibly laggy and I returned to being a Marth user. That being said, I still like him and don't find him awful--but either I'm just not good with him or the fact remains that he doesn't compare to Marth.

(opinions, opinions, I'm sorry if I offend anyone)

2. I fear every move that Ike has.

Eruption has great uses, and has high vertical range--mixed with mid-air mind games its great.

The other thing I fear greatly is the Short Hop Reverse Bair, or whatever it is. I tried learning it--its difficult to constantly use. (fact being Marth has slightly different FAIR,BAIR timings and it screws me up) But BAIR has almost no lag when SHFFed (unlike Ike's Fair)

Jab combo... fast and powerful. Enough said.

Everything else is just "I hope I don't get hit" kind of thing.

3. He's slow and except his jab combo--Marth has the speed and priority.

4. FAIR, NAIR (that's just me though) Marvelous Combination (D or N) (MC is DS, Dancing Sword... I prefer its Japanese Name) UTHROW. And mind games.

That's how I play against any character though.

5. Again, standard strategy is quarter turn (dash off, fast fall, grab edge)--I'm not sure if its the same as hugging...

But Ike's Uspecial is great--learn to time it so the invincibility frames wear off and Aether should do a "bowsercide". So mind games.

Ike is slow, but when I tried maining him, reverse BAIR is his greatest move. In my opinion. Also UTilt is great for mind games. And since Ike's counter "initiates" later than Marth's but last longer, I always fear timing an attack wrong against Ike's counter.

Good Luck with you info scavenging. Hope I helped without offended.

Top Bottom