• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do you fight Ike?

FishkeeperTimmay!

Smash Ace
Hello, this is a thread designed to collect up-to-date info on Match-ups for the Ike boards, which is always in desperate need of good info.

I come to you today with a simple set of questions, attempting to get the "other side" of ideas pertaining to the Matchups against Ike. Its just a few simple questions I'm hoping to get answered;

1. What is your general opinion of Ike as a character?
2. What moves do you fear from Ike?
3. Which moves do not trouble you at all?
4. Which moves/techniques do you use against Ike to gain the advantage?
5. What specific edgeguards do you employ versus Ike?

Feel free to add anything else that doesn't fit into the questions criteria. The goal is to collect information, so anything s useful.

On a side note, I may feel the need to quote this info. If you don't wished to be quoted, please tell me in your posts, and I will not quote you.

Thanks in advance. ^^

Browny

Smash Hater
1) I love ike as a character, hes one of my lesser mains. hes the typical slow heavy hitter all fighters have, while not being completely broken like snake. and his taunts are some of the coolest :D
2) dsmash+ ftilt because they hurt :(. eruption, since chasing him in the air can be risky if he pulls out eruption while airborne, with SA frames that can send any pursuers off the top at seriously low %. and aether, coz its annoying :(
3) all of his aerials except b-air, the third hit of the a-a-a combo (dodgeable) and quick draw. quick draw as a recovery is just too easy to gimp.
4) lots of running grabs and throws. Ike isnt quick enough to deal with roll dodgers and his counter is just too strong. pushing ike off the stage into the air where not only does he lose his ftilt + aether advantage, but along with his quick draw since using it will end up killing ike. his aerials also suffer, since his nair and f-air are pretty good and high ranged, but using them lags enough such that ike may not be able to recover.
5) if i cant run into quick draw, just wait on stage for him to fly back on and punish him... somehow.
and edgehogging vs aether works alright, but its very risky

Greenpoe

Smash Ace
His win taunts are funny, but other than that, I honestly hate fighting him. Not because I lose or win too much, but because he's just boring to fight. It just isn't fun at all for me to fight Ike.
Bair.
AAA; any of his B moves.
None, I don't fight Ike much, since he's so boring to fight, I don't take him seriously insuring a quick loss.
None.

Nodrak

Smash Ace
Slow but powerful. He could have used a better english voice actor, his japanese one was alright.

fsmash: Easy to shield, but I always end up being mindgamed into releasing my shield early
utilt: Fast, large disjointed hitbox and spammable
dair: Fast, large hitbox, and my friends are really good at catching me off-gaurd

The rest.

Keep my distance, use quick, longer ranged attacks (utilt usmash, dair, fair) to keep ike busy.
An aura sphere for while he's landing his upB (even if he's still in super armor, he takes the damage).

Dash off the edge, smashDI towards the edge. (Gimpyfish called it hugging or something, I call it edgehogging like back in 64 or melee)
Basically ike cant use his upB to recover, you'll be invincible and he'll fall through you. His sideB will fail depending on how high/low he is and how charged it was.

Milln

Smash Champion
Ike is an extremely powerful character with the ability to easily KO an opponent, provided he can hit them with it. Longer than average reach is a bonus, too.

I think everyone is afraid of forward smash, but are actually never even KO'd by it. Sometimes i'll just plain eat one just for the percentage because my Lucario is a masochist. >,> Really ftilt is the move I most watch for and try to avoid the most. That and fair/bair.

Nair. Nair. Nair. I've visited your forums before and I have no idea why you guys think it's "fast". Perhaps compared to his other moves, but it's such a balls attack. Everytime I play as Ike for giggles and I try to nair after getting popped up just a bit, it never even completes the startup animation before I land. And due to landing lag i'll get hit again.

As for other moves that don't trouble me? Erm.. Most of the other ones? ^^;

Aura Spherrrrrreee!! >O Fair, Force Palm Grab, and shielding. =D Double Team, too, if I spot an attack early enough.

Gimping that Quick Draw by taking the hit and fairing you after the second jump to push you out of Aether range.

Also, a nice person acting as an envoy from the Ike Boards? I thought all of you were mean people. =o

RBNuke

Smash Apprentice
I don't like him. He's boring to fight, and I don't think he's much of a challenge.

All of them. Good thing most of 'em can't land.

^^

He's one of the few characters I feel I can use double team against willy-nilly, and besides that I just inch into range and smash the crap outta him after he tries using a laggy move.

5. What specific edgeguards do you employ versus Ike
If he's tring to aether onto the stage, I'll double team it. Otherwise, I'll just hit him with sphere as he lands

Pentaoku

Smash Apprentice
In Path of Radiance, I thought Ike was pretty cool. In Radiant Dawn, I hated him. In Brawl, he's alright I guess. But it's so weird that he's slow in this game for me. Overall Ike's alright, needs less lame lines though.

Hm... I'd probably say down smash, up tilt, and back air. Down smash because it just plain catches me off guard, up tilt because it makes it a tad harder to approach aerially, and back air, because it's a fast move with decent everything. But 'fear' is a little too extreme, I'd rather say I'm just a bit more wary of these attacks. Oh and his jab combo hurts. Pretty annoying.

Quick Draw's not that bad. Aerials not named back air aren't a big worry either. Forward tilt hurts quite a bit, but it usually doesn't end up killing me until really high percentages. Down tilt seems kinda slow to actually hit me with, same with forward smash. Up Smash covers a wide area, but overall it's slow, predictable and punishable to me.

Overall, I prefer to stay on the ground against Ike, going only into the air to mess with the player a bit. Aura Sphere shuts down his approach pretty often, and overall on ground, I like to grab him a lot. Dodging around him with Lucario's insanely fast rolls helps punish Ike quit a bit. Forward air is useful if Ike isn't in a short hop.

5. What specific edgeguards do you employ versus Ike
Aura Sphere if he's at about a 45 degree angle from the stage (looking to the right) or anywhere around that area. If Ike is close to the ledge, I usually think he'll just aether, and I usually prefer to stay back and see what he does to get back up on stage to knock him back out again instead.

Trapt497

Smash Ace
Yeah what evan said. Great thread. We should do a Lucario one.

1) Ike is a very cool and bad@$$ character to be honest. Having said that, his voice actor is LAME and SUCKS. Anyways. In brawl, I really like playing Ike (though i am a Lucario main I love all the heavies, even Ganon and DK). He is freakin powerful (perhaps a bit overpowered), and has a good A and B moveset for the most part. The recovery is a downfall for me (though horizontal is good, after trying to go vert and failing you just go staright down), but it just takes practice to get on the ledge with the up B.

2) The F Smash. God...the f smash...so freakin powerful...I also partially fear back air, neutral B, up smash.

3) Most of the other moves dont really trouble me that much.

4) I use a ton of aura spheres (to interupt his attacks and keep him away from me, especially to interup side b), force palms (when I am close enough), neutral a combos, ftilt, dtilt, and double teams.

5) Edgeguards: well, I dont hang off the ledge like I do against some other characters because I know his up b will bring me right down with him. So, if he is about to use an up b i generally try to avoid him. If he is far enough off I jump off and use aura spheres or fairs, and if he is trying to use side b to horizontally recover i gimp it to stop him short.

Tallen

Smash Journeyman
For the record: I'm a more defense-oriented Luc user, so frankly Ike isn't too much of a threat to me. Nothing against though XD

Ike to me looks like a character anyone can pick up and learn to play the basics, however it takes time to become a real master. I had a choice between Ike and Lucario but in the end the former just worked better XD
Volcano (or whatever the name), bair and all other quick moves. Being a more defense/counter oriented player quick and unpredictable attacks just annoy me loads.
ALL smash attacks (especially f-smash - too easy to predict and counter it), Aether, and all the other air attacks.
Being a double-team maniac, Ike is one of my favorite targets for it due to his slow attacks. I usually force palm-chain him in the beggining of the match and afterwards force him into air combat, doing my best to combo him in midair.
Going after him for the kill- with Luc's good recovery I usually go right out of the stage and force the opponent in using the double-jump too soon and finishing up with aura sphere.

Also, a nice person acting as an envoy from the Ike Boards? I thought all of you were mean people. =o
Heh my words exactly. Whenever I fight a random Ike online I picture a mean giggling lunatic... Still nice people all around.
I'm proud of Luc's board because everyone's nice around here =D

Pit_Mainer

Smash Apprentice
A very nice powerhouse. Pick up and play usable.

Side Smash.... O.o

Aether surprisingly...

Aura Sphere, Counter, and the Down air. O, and also Down Grab.

Charge up Aura Sphere first. When he is by the edge i use Down Grab then aura sphere then Down air.l

Lopiman

Smash Rookie
Ike is ok, but Lucario can absolutely eliminate him fairly easily.

One of Ike's recovery moves is his side B.

Lucarios semi-fully charged b can absolutely gimp Ike's side b with decent timing, meaning that ike really only has one way to recover, making him a lot more beatable.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Against Ike

1. Opinion on Ike
I FIGHT FOR MY FRIENDS. (lol on the voice actor)
Now back to the fight,
Ike has potential, as he does have ridiculous hitbox reach and most good Ike players know how to use his slow and fast moves interchangeably. With that said, unfortunately, Ike in my opinion is grab/sphere/aereal food for lucario.

2. Moves that freak me out
His grabs certainly not, some of his aereals "merit" like his bair and dair, his tilts with the exception of his down, most of his specials are pretty good, especially his neutral against dogfights. His smashes, however, are beastly, however, if you have played as a heavy with a slow fsmash (like Dx3), you can get used to the wierd timing. His dsmash is annoying, as its surprisingly fast and a punish for a grabber.

3. Moves that are Weaksauce
Aether spam is for noobs, most of his aereals are bad, his grabs just aren't that great. He's pretty slow, and if you are a more evasive player, most of his moves shouldn't be a problem. His roll is so slow, the opponent is keeping the diary of the entire trip lol.

4. To edgeguard/outtech him
neut b is great just for the sake of punishing him, side b is a haven, since Ike's roll is pretty slow. His upB recovery is risky overall, so just practice hogging or countering. his sideB is fun to gimp, and if not, just aereal guard him. I'm not usually an aura sphere fan, but against Ike, I like to make that exception.

That's all

RAWR!
~lucario, SSBB:lucario:

G-Beast

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4442-0111-1914
1. What is your general opinion of Ike as a character? too slow, too predictable to be useful

2. What moves do you fear from Ike? none really... they are all predictable as heck

3. Which moves do not trouble you at all? mostly all, counter and fair sometimes are annoying at best

4. Which moves/techniques do you use against Ike to gain the advantage? DT on his slow smashes.. works everytime unless im being a dunderhead, otherwise i outmaneuver(sp?) him and f-tilt and shorthop my air attacks.. aura sphere works great too

5. What specific edgeguards do you employ versus Ike? (assuming he grabs the edge) usually DT if he is attacking to get up, fair if he is jumping on, and f-tilt if he is rolling on. but as for edge guarding, i like to use BAS if i do not have one charged, and also i find fair to be quite effective unless he tries to attack a little early, in which case BAS

on other info... the way i play Lucario i shouldnt be getting hit by any of ike's attacks if i do things correctly, whenever i play vs one of my irl friends(who is actually good with ike) i always 3-0 him, taking 1, maybe 2, hits if any at all. aura sphere will always beat ike's f-special, no exceptions, DT on N-special, and his u-special is hilariously easy to dodge and set up a fully charged f-smash(or U-smash on his way down if your brave) if anyone ever uses it. but counter is the move that sometimes inevitably hits me dueto lag sometimes, after i have alredy pressed the buttons when its too late, otherwise it leaves him vulnerable to a combo i do; u-throw-fair-fair-nair-nair(midair jump afetr 1st nair).

Top Bottom