• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do you fight Ike?

FishkeeperTimmay!

Smash Ace
Hello, this is a thread designed to collect up-to-date info on Match-ups for the Ike boards, which is always in desperate need of good info.

I come to you today with a simple set of questions, attempting to get the "other side" of ideas pertaining to the Matchups against Ike. Its just a few simple questions I'm hoping to get answered;

1. What is your general opinion of Ike as a character?
2. What moves do you fear from Ike?
3. Which moves do not trouble you at all?
4. Which moves/techniques do you use against Ike to gain the advantage?
5. What specific edgeguards do you employ versus Ike?

Feel free to add anything else that doesn't fit into the questions criteria. The goal is to collect information, so anything s useful.

On a side note, I may feel the need to quote this info. If you don't wished to be quoted, please tell me in your posts, and I will not quote you.

Thanks in advance. ^^

goodoldganon

Smash Champion

1. Ike is slow, but DK isn't super fast by any means. Throwing out attacks with no plan will get you punished HARD by Ike. He is great at baiting and punishing, but his mediocre recovery (airdodge + quick draw = fail) make him a just middle of the road character.

2. His A, A, A combo is great for getting him space. Not sure if I "fear" it, but it can be annoying. Out of all his moves, I fear undiminished F-tilts. Any f-tilts that outrange DK are scary for me. His sliding up-smash catches me off guard a few times as well. Lastly, the other attack I fear is his Eruption. Good Ike's can 'abuse' that super armor, and DKs love to give an aerial chase with up-air or b-air.

3. His d-smash seems incredibly low range so I don't worry about that move. Though it owns when it hits, I don't fear that F-smash either. Also, I don't fear the over-b because getting in DK's face is a bad idea. If DK blocks the over-b, he can get a quick headbutt off. If not, it is still free damage. If they use the over-b as an approach, then I usually kill Ike with my superior speed. Also, DK's down-b stops the quick draw approach.

4. Getting in Ike's face is my key. Ike outranges me, but DK is faster and not that much weaker. I abuse my speed. Also, I think stage spiking works well, but I have to be quick so I'm not aetherspiked. Really, the key to beating Ike is using DK's speed and wait to get him off the edge (I'll go in depth next) or to save my smash attacks for kill range. I get a lot of Ike kills with a spot dodge then d-smash or f-smash.

5. Ike is pretty easy to edgeguard. If they use quick draw, I'll either jump out and take the attack or just air dodge it. Also, the b-air is a great edgeguard. The game changes when he needs to use Aether, because of DK's awful vertical recovery I just avoid edgeguarding.

All in all, Ike can be a tough matchup for a few reasons. But, if DK abuses his superior speed he can come out on top. DK is powerful and his range isn't that much worse then Ike's. For Ike I'd do a few things to help swing the battle in my favor.

1. Watch out for the Fully Charge Punch. It has super armor.
2. Abuse your range. DK's speed will dominate you when up-close.
3. Don't get predictable with Eruption, but it is a great way to avoid an aerial chase.
4. DK's down-b destroys most of your approach game.
5. Don't underestimate DK's range our power.

I hope this helps. Leave me a post if you need clarification.

Dr. Hyde

Smash Ace
pffh if this can be posted on every board why doesn't everyone just go ahead and spam threads like this for every character?

At least it would be more fair than seeing this thread everywhere and only one character gaing benefits.

Godhand_Soup

Smash Rookie
1. Ike is a decent character with some good moves but a weak approach. His greatest style is a defensive one, but it makes him weak against every half-decent camper in the game. I would say top of mid-tier.

2. Fair, jabs, bair, upsmash and ftilt.

3. Anything not in #2

4. Jump-canceled upB approach, ftilt, bairs, downB, reverse uptilt, cargo techs, dsmash, fsmash and neutral B, more as a mindgame than a finisher.

5. Stopping QD recovery is well known, so DK focuses on bair gimping before Ike gets close enough to Aether. DK can jump, ff and bair so quickly that Ike cannot hit with the fair unless he can predict when DK will initiate. Also, DK must predict if Ike will fair or air dodge. If he's right, he takes a stock. If he mispredicts, he can still return to the stage easily.

Nokonoko

Smash Apprentice
… Doing so can lead to reciprocal information, however. Isn’t it better to promote a sense of community? :D

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
random letters guy, don't post serious things in here, hes trying to learn how to play against dks, he doesn't even hide it well, post something extremely vague or completely wrong

Tx3Fate

Smash Cadet
Yeah. Community my ***.

So, in that case...

1) Easiest matchup in the game, low tier character at best
2) His over-b recovery, its so hard to gimp, and makes ledge guarding a nightmare
3) his aaa jab combo. It has so much lag afterwards, it leaves him wide open.
4) I like to spam dairs. Its really comboable, and we can usually get three-six of them off at low percents before the Ike can get out. Can you say wobble-esque?
5) I like to spam my jab combo as an edguard. The first hit spikes if you sweetspot it.

Mr.Victory07

Smash Lord

[COLOR]

Guys, stop being *****. He wants some info and went out of his way to get it. Respect that, and if you dont have something constructive to say, dont speak at all
Anyways....

1. Ike is like a tank. Slow, but with good defences and power. Hes pretty fast for his strength, but his attacks are not quick by any means. If you attack without super armor, prepare for punisment if its a smash or aerial. His recovery though, is pretty average, and very predictable.

2. A, A, A is a very solid, annoying move. It seems when your close to him, this move will come out. Especially whan moves clash, the Ike player is probably mashing A, and super armor and priority usually let it go through. F-smash is "scary" because of its enormous strength and range, and not horrible speed. It seems to me that if you miss an aerial, except bair, and this move is being done, your dead. Ftilt is also scary because of its speed and power. Counter is very annoying, and will hit hard since DK hits pretty hard, but oddly its not used very often by Ike. And last would probably be an offstage fari, which KOs me pretty well. Other than that, everything else is average.

3. His tilts are fast, but not so stellar. Same with specails, Eruption is more like a nuissance to me, because Ike cant capitolise vs DK in the air. U-smash sometimes catches me off guard, but more than ost its pretty punishable. His aerials dont bother me much either, since DK can pull out a nair or utilt before most of them.

4. Like goodoldganon said, getting in his face is key. Its pretty easy to approach Ike with a bair, and then overwhelm him with quick tilts and aerials. I also like to get Ike in the air and nail him with bari or uair, which works quite well. Stage spiking i dont like to try on him due to aether, but hes pretty heavy, so its like a 50/50. And vs DK, its hard for Ike to approach since downb>quick draw, his aerials are laggy and we can pull of a quick d-smash or headbutt, and our rang is about the same as yours, but faster.

5. I dont enjoy edguarding Ike. Quickdraw is very predicatable, and easy to take or punish with bari. My favorite thing to edguard ike with is bair. Its easy to chase off far with bair, and since it has low vertical knockback, puts pressure on Ike to get back before he loses range. But i find aether to be nearly impossible to guard, so i avoid trying to, except maybe with an edgehog.

So vs DK
1. Watch out for bairs
2. Watch for headbutts.
3. Dont use punishable aerials and smashes, we have a quick d-smash to attack with
4. Watch for tilts and throws

Mighty_Sven

Smash Rookie
Some of my friends seem to think he's overpowered, i havent really fought him enough to go that far. i basically think he's a slower, stronger, less girly version of Marth. He's better than Marth in my opinion.

basically the counter special is the only think i can really think of. again, i dont play against him as much, but he needs to get close to you in order to attack, and i think close up DK probably has a bit of the edge. I like to throw and smash A LOT and i also like the midar headbut and meteor smashes. a good ike user can counter all of that so i guess it really comes to timing well enough to fake him out. or just throw him. (unless he can counter that too)

nothing i can really think of; i guess cause they dont trouble me

pretty much answered that in nuber 2

basically the same i use against anyone else.. throw/smash them off the edge and if they come back i usually try to meteor smash them down with the side + A in midair

Diddyknight

Smash Lord
diddyk0ng

throw bananas or spamm it.. it helps and get you a lot of opening.. after that just start comboing

wrong thread sorry

SummerObsession

Smash Apprentice
How do I fight Ike?
I try going for his friends first.

Slow and strong but easy to deal with. Dk is faster so can easily punish Ike. Ike's recovery is awful.

Watch out for his UpSmash and Fair, they both have greatrange. His back air is quick so if he turns around be careful with your approach. Ike's AAA combo also comes out quick. But none of them are really fear inducing.

Everything not mentioned from #2

Foward B when he does one of his laggier attack and whiffs it. Grab throw him off stag. Bair to approach. Walk block an attack then f-smash or something.

5. What specific edgeguards do you employ versus Ike? Jump in front of his Foward B. Bair if hes under you.

Top Bottom