• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do you fight Ike?

FishkeeperTimmay!

Smash Ace
Hello, this is a thread designed to collect up-to-date info on Match-ups for the Ike boards, which is always in desperate need of good info.

I come to you today with a simple set of questions, attempting to get the "other side" of ideas pertaining to the Matchups against Ike. Its just a few simple questions I'm hoping to get answered;

1. What is your general opinion of Ike as a character?
2. What moves do you fear from Ike?
3. Which moves do not trouble you at all?
4. Which moves/techniques do you use against Ike to gain the advantage?
5. What specific edgeguards do you employ versus Ike?

Feel free to add anything else that doesn't fit into the questions criteria. The goal is to collect information, so anything s useful.

On a side note, I may feel the need to quote this info. If you don't wished to be quoted, please tell me in your posts, and I will not quote you.

Thanks in advance. ^^

Samus-T

Smash Lord
KING DDD ***** IKE IMO. grab, throw off map, bair, bair, bair, bair, DEATH

Meta_Sonic64

Smash Master
Hello, this is a thread designed to collect up-to-date info on Match-ups for the Ike boards, which is always in desperate need of good info.

I come to you today with a simple set of questions, attempting to get the "other side" of ideas pertaining to the Matchups against Ike. Its just a few simple questions I'm hoping to get answered;

Feel free to add anything else that doesn't fit into the questions criteria. The goal is to collect information, so anything s useful.

On a side note, I may feel the need to quote this info. If you don't wished to be quoted, please tell me in your posts, and I will not quote you.

Thanks in advance. ^^
1. Ike is a slow character, but very powerful and can be trouble if he is used correctly.
2. I don't really fear anything, if I'm hit by it, it's my fault and so I'll deal with it.
3. I don't know
4. Tilts, throws, Aerial game
5. Throw him off and b-air him to death, I do air dodge if he attempts to Aether me down with him. Waddle Dee gimp.

Quondulen

Smash Cadet

1) Ike's power needs to be respected. Ike has no problem KOing Dedede. Ignoring chain grabbing for a moment, I still think this matchup favors Dedede. DDD has more tactical options than Ike.

2) I don't really fear any particular move from Ike but his jab is fast, powerful, and is great disruption. The flaming sword move (I don't know what input it is) is another thorn in my side. My friend short hops those things against me and blasts right through my jab routine.

Ike's smashes always need to be respected just due to their power. Also, his forward air is a great approach against DDD.

3) Anything I didn't mention in #2 doesn't get any special consideration from me.

4) When Ike uses his side B to recover onto the stage, I gauge where I expect him to land, move there, and power a forward smash or sit idle with an inhale. If Ike has engaged his side B while off the stage that player has pretty much given me control of the next few seconds of the fight.

5) I usually just let him come back and try to get a free Forward Smash against him.

Here are two videos of my DDD vs Ike:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETgAdNLaSxM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROIuJspnqwE

Go ahead and quote what ever you want.

kingofwaddles

Smash Apprentice
a little known trick.
if youre playing an ike who charges their side b on the stage, stand on the opposite end, hold down inhale, and he will hit you but he will go sliding off the edge to his death, without being able to recover.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=hH0QjqO4N1k

ike is one of the easiest match ups for DDD, but if youre on the ike side, stay airborne above the stage, attack with Fairs and Bairs, Fair outranges ddds attacks, even bair, theyre somewhat even, but ddd is way better IMO

CO18

Smash Hero
Only real thing that Gives Dedede problems against Ike is his jabs. Comes out quicker than anything you can do, you have to shield through the entire set of jabs because each jab will hit you before you can grab him. Jab fakes can really throw you off however (Cough* Versatile lol) since the ike can stop his jabs and quickly grab you while youre shielding but other then jabs nothing hurts you much.

Ikes with good mingames are actually pretty tough though, DDD definitley has the advantage in this matchup but if the Ike really mixes up his approaches it can get pretty tough. One good thing about Ike's dash attack is that it goes through any waddle dees and will still hit you.

VersatileBJN

Smash Ace
Sounds about right CO, except that DDD can grab while blocking the AAA combo at any point lol..try it.

Edit: Oh and Q I'll play you for sure, but I'd appreciate it if you chaingrabbed me. I need to continue to work on Ike vs D3, and it's pointless if you're no going 100%. What is your aim and where are you located? I hope you're fairly close so we dont lag.

I believe Ike is better than D3's without chain because Ike has more range, better speed and just as good power. All of D3's aerials are unsafe, his jab combo is nothing serious, and forward tilt is easy to beat with a short hop fair. Waddlees also cannot keep a decent Ike out. While Ike's recovery is inferior, D3's is pretty easy to beat too from my experience. D3's approach is also inferior in my eyes. Rushing him down obviously wouldn't be as risky as it is without the chain...

Just my opinion. Sorry for LOLing at ya

CO18

Smash Hero
Sounds about right CO, except that DDD can grab while blocking the AAA combo at any point lol..try it.

Edit: Oh and Q I'll play you for sure, but I'd appreciate it if you chaingrabbed me. I need to continue to work on Ike vs D3, and it's pointless if you're no going 100%. What is your aim and where are you located? I hope you're fairly close so we dont lag.

I believe Ike is better than D3's without chain because Ike has more range, better speed and just as good power. All of D3's aerials are unsafe, his jab combo is nothing serious, and forward tilt is easy to beat with a short hop fair. Waddlees also cannot keep a decent Ike out. While Ike's recovery is inferior, D3's is pretty easy to beat too from my experience. D3's approach is also inferior in my eyes. Rushing him down obviously wouldn't be as risky as it is without the chain...

You cant grab after the first jab, the second jab hits you before you grab him. You can after the second and third jab though but by then theyve already canceled the jab series.

Quondulen

Smash Cadet

I'm located in Litchfield MN.

While I'd greatly enjoy the chance to play someone online I just can't get it up and running. It infuriates me to no end. It just sits on the loading screen forever and then disconnects. :dizzy: My friend can get online at his house but the lag is just mind blowing. I'm at my witts end with the whole thing. I'll tinker around with it some more tomorrow to see if I can get it working for once.

As far as DDD vs Ike, I never said that it's a shut out. I simply said that, in my opinion, the matchup favors DDD. A DDD that mixes up his smashes and jabs, all while plinking away with waddles, can really give Ike some issues. There is also the gordo factor that can just outright end the match.

I also stated that Ike's power needs to be respected. I've been amazed at how easily Ike can KO DDD.

I could have sworn that you could shield grab Ike after his first jab but I can't recal it happening from memory. I'm going to have to test it now. I do know though that you can shield grab Ike after the second and third jab.

turbogilman

Smash Journeyman
drunk post!!!!]

ok nuetral b, chain grab, ftilt, all aerials... ok ike sucks against ddd ok little messed up but seriously. who knows how bad this is for ike. but i will play ike agianst ddd haha see you @ c3 homies!

Top Bottom