• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do you fight Ike?

FishkeeperTimmay!

Smash Ace
Hello, this is a thread designed to collect up-to-date info on Match-ups for the Ike boards, which is always in desperate need of good info.

I come to you today with a simple set of questions, attempting to get the "other side" of ideas pertaining to the Matchups against Ike. Its just a few simple questions I'm hoping to get answered;

1. What is your general opinion of Ike as a character?
2. What moves do you fear from Ike?
3. Which moves do not trouble you at all?
4. Which moves/techniques do you use against Ike to gain the advantage?
5. What specific edgeguards do you employ versus Ike?

Feel free to add anything else that doesn't fit into the questions criteria. The goal is to collect information, so anything s useful.

On a side note, I may feel the need to quote this info. If you don't wished to be quoted, please tell me in your posts, and I will not quote you.

Thanks in advance. ^^

slacker!

Smash Journeyman
Fighting Ike is like fighting an Olimar without his Pikmin. He's so easy; he's a chaingrab plushie. Since he is heavy, but not THAT heavy at the same time, the chaingrabs are so easy to execute. You won't have to speed them up or slow them down as much like the Kirby characters (Kirby, Meta Knight, DDD).

Personally, Ike does not intimidate me at all. In fact, Ike is pretty much my favorite person to fight only because of how easy he is to chaingrab (even solo Popo can chaingrab Ike across FD). His attacks are also extremely easy to dodge/side step. Once his attacks have been dodged, I can get an easy grab in that either leads to 100%+ or death. His only fast way of approaching (QD) is easily stopped by both Blizzard and Ice Blocks. His RAR'd Bairs are also easily stopped. If Popo and Nana are both desynched, Ike is going to have a lot of trouble approaching the ICs. But! There's still hope for you Ike players (although not much. . . :p).

Basically, if you are an Ike against ICs you have to play really patiently. Really patiently. Any mistake can leave you on the ground in lag, with the ICs in front of you sporting an open, greedy hand. You have to make sure you use your set of attacks wisely, and that they all either hit, or if they don't, won't lead you to getting grabbed. You can't just sit there and charge Eruption or a forward smash and expect them to run into it. The most important, though, is to separate them ASAP. Once separated, Popo can't really do much. He can still rack up damage though, since Ike is able to be chaingrabbed by one Ice Climber, but since Ike is really strong, he can send Popo off the stage really easily and has an easier time killing him because without Nana, not only is his recovery completely demolished but it is also EXTREMELY predictable, which can lead to easy Eruption/Fsmash/Usmash or whatever you Ike players use.

KRDsonic

Smash Master
I personally love fighting Ike as Ice Climbers. I find him quite easy to grab compared to most characters (like Meta Knight and Olimar). He's also easy to grab combo and is one of the few characters that leaves me room for error when chain grabbing him.

At the same time though, I like using Ike against Ice Climbers. They don't seem too tough to hit and I tend to rack up dammage on them a lot.

Roy-G-Biv

Smash Journeyman
He's east to beat with the Ice Climbers.
Even without chaingrabbing (I'm not good with those.)

Corner-Trap

Smash Ace
Fighting Ike is a simple three step process.

Step 1- Sheild or Perfect Sheild
Step 2- Grab
Step 3- CG from 0 to Death

Now rinse and repeat.

megamanexev3

Smash Journeyman
1. What is your general opinion of Ike as a character?
Answer: He fights for his friends
2. What moves do you fear from Ike?
Answer: When he fights for his friends
3. Which moves do not trouble you at all?
ETHER!
4. Which moves/techniques do you use against Ike to gain the advantage?
When he's charging that thing he does, using an ice block. Also, blizzard.
5. What specific edgeguards do you employ versus Ike?
Blizzard when he does Ether or his charging dash thing

Straylit

Smash Cadet
Ike is one of of my favorite characters to fight with Ice Climbers due to how easy he is to CG and maintain a CG. The only troublesome attack he really does is his AAA combo. As far as edgeguarding goes most Ikes like to use Fspecial in which case all you have to do is actually jump out over the map and into it, letting it hit you, and he'll just fall to his death while you recover.

Top Bottom