• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do you fight Ike?

FishkeeperTimmay!

Smash Ace
Hello, this is a thread designed to collect up-to-date info on Match-ups for the Ike boards, which is always in desperate need of good info.

I come to you today with a simple set of questions, attempting to get the "other side" of ideas pertaining to the Matchups against Ike. Its just a few simple questions I'm hoping to get answered;

1. What is your general opinion of Ike as a character?
2. What moves do you fear from Ike?
3. Which moves do not trouble you at all?
4. Which moves/techniques do you use against Ike to gain the advantage?
5. What specific edgeguards do you employ versus Ike?

Feel free to add anything else that doesn't fit into the questions criteria. The goal is to collect information, so anything s useful.

On a side note, I may feel the need to quote this info. If you don't wished to be quoted, please tell me in your posts, and I will not quote you.

Thanks in advance. ^^

lain

Smash Master
you are being very annoying. don't spam every thread with this.

keep discussion of ike in your OWN thread.

also, ike sucks. get over it.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
I actually like this idea, lain. It's about the matchup between Ike and G&W, so I dont see why this doesn't fit in the Game and Watch section.

So yeah, I guess I'll give my input.

Ike was top tier back when we got the game. His raw power, great range, and annoying aether was just too cruel. Ike would consistently kill G&W at something around 40%. Playing wifi matches with this one person, who was a red connection, shaped my opinion about him. Recently, my wifi list has expanded with many good players that it's about full, and I've gotten a lot more experience on the top tier god that is Ike...

and he really isn't. Minus the lag, I'm given back the ability to power shield and air dodge. I'm also granted the ability to chase off the stage and gimp his silly recovery. I consistently survive to over 100% as his "deadly" moves lost their venom. My opinion has greatly changed from then, and I would imagine Ike seeing low tier; mid if he's lucky. Even if by some miracle he ends in upper-mid, this will only last a short time, and he'll drop as more characters get better tools to work with.

He's great at punishing, and if used with good prediction and knowledge of the matchup, Ike can be dangerous indeed.

Hmm, I'm afraid about most his moves, if they are spaced right and landed. In general, I watch out for the Bair, which is surprisingly fast, his Ftilt, which is more dangerous than his laggy Fsmash, and the odd counter here and there. It's a mixed bag. His moves hurt and destroy G&W at low percents, but he cant deal with the speed and well timed moves of G&W.

Haha. Ike's Specials are mad easy to gimp and deal with. Aether is punished, quick draw avoided and used to gimp Ike, and eruption is no big deal at all. Counter is difficult if well placed, but as G&W will play conservatively until theres an opening, it wont see much use in this matchup, I believe. Once an opening is made, G&W will provide some decent pressure and then space himself away again, no time for a counter. Hit and run.

His smashes are also easy to punish.

Specifically, Chef is where it's at. You can expect G&W to use his only projectile against someone without one. It makes for a good edgeguard and it has the range on Ike. I'll avoid getting close enough for me to grab Ike, as it's not amazing (Dthrow -> Dsmash has a very small time frame to work) unless I go for the Tech chase. I don't know how big his roll is off the top of my head.

Edge guarding is among the easiest ways to score a kill against Ike. Luckily, G&W has an amazing edge and chase game. I'll go into more detail in the next question.

The Turtle is always a nice touch. Oh, and G&W's Uair! If quick drawing from above, G&W can keep an ike air bound until he's ready to bring on the pain. Ike wont be able to do anything because of the properties of G&W's Uair and that QD leaves him vulnerable.

Firstly, the chef is amazing here. Ike falls fast enough to have severe trouble DIing away from getting multihitted by the food goods that G&W's frying pan produces. This is a good choice as they're coming down diagonally to the stage, and you can cancel the frying pan and quickly chase with a box AS Ike is still in stun from the food. It's real nice.

Dtilt all the way over the edge doesn't work that great in this case, but I can see it having some uses if you hadn't made it to the edge in time to chase/fryingpan.

The chase is a sure stock, if done right. The Fair Box -> to Fair Box pokes him much to far to recover with Aether (Vertical distance is all it has), and Ike falls quick enough that everytime he's hit with the box, he's getting lower and lower to the stage (Say goodbye to horizontal height granted by QD). The only sensible thing the Ike can do at this point is to initiate aether and hope you can pull G&W down with yourself. Too bad that G&W's UpB grants a good deal of invincibility frames.

Also, Turtle can stage spike Ike if you predict the spot where he'll go to aether recover.

Oh, and if he's grabbing the ledge and you're off the stage (lets say he used aether before you had time to turtle/box), UpB will spike him down if on a stage like Smashville.

So all in all, the matchup is in G&W's favor, despite Ike having the obvious range and weight advantage on the 2-D menace. No need to mention power here, because G&W's Fsmash is nothing to sneeze at. I'm not saying it's pointless, not at all, Ike can easily score low percent K.O. on G&W. We have to work a lot in this matchup, at the risk of getting punished. Though, it's not exactly a cakewalk on the Ike's part, either.

And thats it. You're more than welcome to quote me, and I wish you the best of luck with this project. If it goes well, I might do the same for G&W after people begin to forget about this one for ike. I hope you'll help and let me know what a good Ike will do to tear apart G&W when I come to your section :D

Peace.

Umpy

Smash Apprentice
Ike isnt a problem with G&W IMHO

He is slow, with slow moves besides his Back-air and U-tilt

G&W can easily get in a spam his tilts, rack up a alot of damage and Ike is done.

rabbt

Smash Journeyman
I play a stupidly aggressive G&W, and I usually end up getting punished horribly for fair instead of the DI forward nair. I also tend to fear the QD on stage since it almost laglessly cancels into the jab combo, and if all 4 hits connect with the shield, I'm pretty much stuck with rolling. There's also the part where G&W nose can stagespike Ike (well, anyone really) hanging on a ledge, and every once in a while I'll get that in.

Ike overall is scary, especially with good prediction. I'm always afraid of a forward smash or upsmash from a freshly spawned Ike, especially after a kill since I'm probably already at 60%+.

Great moves against Ike are running away. After that a good turtle approach often works, and if I'm lucky I'll get to punish a missed/dodged/shielded Aether with a 9.

Ike's aerials are also scary, since they are low lag and have good range (Ike's fair > G&W bair).

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
D-smash Ike with G&W at like 80% or so and he either dies, or he gets gimped, or something stupid like that. If you get hit by any of G&W's Smash attacks for that matter, you get owned.

The only thing Ike can do to G&W is try to outspace him. If he fails, then he gets punished severely because G&W can really follow up after attacking.

Plus G&W has projectiles. = BAD for Ike.

Cosmo!

nerf zelda's dsmash

he's a sexy monster who real men main

jab combo, up air (g&w is light.. uair kills)

back air. i see it comin!!! i suppose mindgamesy ikes will **** me up with this move though.

try to overwhelm him cause he's slower

**** trying to interrupt that upB. i stand at ledgeroll distance and spam B and the **** hits him all day. if he rolls he gets a pan in the face!!! d@mn

Top Bottom