• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

B-Reversal/Reverse Special List

3GOD

Smash Ace
It's only recently come to my attention how there is a new B-reversal/Reverse special attack mechanic in Brawl. I was well aware of this tactic with Ganon/Falcon punches, but I did not realize that it worked for MANY other special moves for many characters as well.

For those who don't know, B-reversal is inputing a special move and immediately reversing the direction of the move by moving the control stick very quickly in the direction opposite of your character's face. In other words, if you're facing right, you can input a special move (B-move) and immediately slam left on the control stick (after pressing B) to perform the special move facing left.

What's so great about B-reversal? Well, you can do these from a full-speed running/dashing animation. That is, you could be running full-speed (not just the initial dashing/foxtrot animation) to the right and immediately do a side-B to the left. This could really help out a lot of characters, but I've barely seen this put to use in any videos.

Here is a super-small demonstration of how B-reversal could be used: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=gam3m2w7rNI

Why this post? Well, I've composed a list of moves that are capable of being reversed. Some of these probably are completely useless, but I listed them anyway simply for the sake of being thorough. If you think I've got some mistakes in my list, just let me know, and I'll edit it accordingly. The timing is pretty tight for B-reversal, so I might have concluded some as "No" mistakingly, but I'm pretty sure it's 99% accurate.

Yes - This special move can be reversed in the initial (maybe 3-4 max) frames after hitting B.
No - This special move cannot be reversed after hitting the B button.

Mario
Neutral – Yes
Side – Yes
Up – Yes
Down – No

Luigi
Neutral – Yes
Side – Yes
Up – Yes
Down – Yes

Peach
Neutral – Yes
Side – Yes
Up – Yes
Down – No

Bowser
Neutral – Yes
Side – No
Up – No
Down – Yes

Donkey Kong
Neutral – Yes
Side – Yes
Up – No
Down – No

Diddy Kong
Neutral – Yes
Side – Yes
Up – No
Down – No

Yoshi
Neutral – Yes
Side – Yes
Up – Yes
Down – Yes

Wario
Neutral – Yes
Side – Yes
Up – Yes
Down – No

Link
Neutral – Yes
Side – Yes
Up – Yes
Down – No

Zelda
Neutral – Yes
Side – Yes
Up – No
Down – No

Sheik
Neutral – Yes
Side – Yes
Up – No
Down – No

Ganondorf
Neutral – Yes (special animation)
Side – Yes
Up – Yes
Down – No

Toon Link
Neutral – Yes
Side – Yes
Up – Yes
Down – No

Samus
Neutral – No
Side – No
Up – Yes
Down – No

Zero Suit Samus
Neutral – Yes
Side – Yes
Up – Yes
Down – Yes

Pit
Neutral – Yes
Side – Yes
Up – No
Down – Yes

Ice Climbers
Neutral – Yes
Side – Yes
Up – Yes
Down – Yes

R.O.B.
Neutral – Yes
Side – Yes
Up – Yes
Down – Yes

Kirby
Neutral – Yes
Side – Yes
Up – Yes
Down – No

Meta Knight
Neutral – No
Side – Yes
Up – Yes
Down – No

King Dedede
Neutral – Yes
Side – Yes
Up – Yes
Down – Yes

Olimar
Neutral – No
Side – Yes
Up – Yes
Down – No

Fox
Neutral – Yes
Side – Yes
Up – Yes
Down – No

Falco
Neutral – Yes
Side – Yes
Up – Yes
Down – No

Wolf
Neutral – Yes
Side – Yes
Up – Yes
Down – No

Captain Falcon
Side – Yes
Up – Yes
Down – No

Pikachu
Neutral – Yes
Side – Yes
Up – Yes
Down – Yes

Ivysaur
Neutral – Yes
Side – Yes
Up – Yes
Down – No

Charizard
Neutral – Yes
Side – Yes
Up – Yes
Down – No

Squirtle
Neutral – Yes
Side – Yes
Up – Yes
Down – No

Lucario
Neutral – Yes
Side – Yes
Up – No
Down – No

Jigglypuff
Neutral – Yes
Side – Yes
Up – No
Down – No

Marth
Neutral – Yes
Side – Yes
Up – Yes
Down – Yes

Ike
Neutral – Yes
Side – Yes
Up – Yes
Down – Yes

Ness
Neutral – Yes
Side – Yes
Up – No
Down – Yes

Lucas
Neutral – Yes
Side – Yes
Up – No
Down – Yes

Mr. Game & Watch
Neutral – Yes
Side – Yes
Up – Yes
Down – Yes

Snake
Neutral – Yes
Side – Yes
Up – No
Down – Yes (both for planting and detonating the C4)

Sonic
Neutral – No
Side – Yes
Up – Yes
Down – No

Doval

Smash Lord
Very nice. This is a very useful list to have.

It's also worth pointing out that B-reversal is what causes the so-called "wavebounce" effect - reversing any special move reverses your current horizontal momentum. It's very useful with Zero Suit Samus's Plasma Whip - you could run and dash away from the opponent, only to "recoil" back towards him and Plasma Whip him, and vice-versa (run ahd jump towards, recoil back.)

Doval

Smash Lord
I don't think it can. You may be confusing it with a turn-around B move - you tilt the stick in the opposite direction, let go, and then hit B. But a B-reversal is changing the direction of the move AFTER it's come out.

Pasqual

Smash Journeyman
Good list, thanks for the info. I knew some of these worked but not this many. I think the timing window is more relaxed for CF and Ganon's punch reversals though, so you may want to add that in there if you can get some exact frame information.

Plus, between this mechanic and RAR, you can 540 Falcon Punch. Aka, the most epic way to kill someone, ever.

3GOD

Smash Ace
It's also worth pointing out that B-reversal is what causes the so-called "wavebounce" effect - reversing any special move reverses your current horizontal momentum. It's very useful with Zero Suit Samus's Plasma Whip - you could run and dash away from the opponent, only to "recoil" back towards him and Plasma Whip him, and vice-versa (run ahd jump towards, recoil back.)
I think you're absolutely right - the B-reversal is the cause of "wavebouncing," and make things like Lucas' PK-Fire "wavebouncing" possible without giving up the C-stick for aerials/smashes just as one example. To do this with Lucas, you would run right, jump (still holding right), hit B (still holding right), and immediately jam left resulting in a PK-Fire to the left and Lucas getting pushed to the right.

I'm sure this will have many applications for many characters, and none for some. Also, it should be pointed out that these B-reversals can in many cases be done at the edge of a platform with some interesting results. For instance, Donkey Kong's Side-B could be a good evasive/counter tactic when reversed at any edge.

See this thread for a little more information about how B-moves behave at edges: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=158881

Taymond

Smash Journeyman
Yes, B-Reversal is what enables Recoil Specials. The standard example Recoil Special is a turnaround B followed by a B-Reversal, creating the "retreating" effect the Recoil Special has.

To 3GOD, thanks for the initiative on this list. I had planned to do this relatively soon, so this saves me a fair amount of work. I'll probably still go through and confirm ones I feel are questionable or borderline in your list, but at first glance it seems fairly accurate.

I'd like to mention, though, that Ganon and Falcon's neutral B's are not B-Reversible. Obviously the moves, themselves, contain special contingencies for the button input, but that case overrides the B-Reversal. Because the moves already have a designated way to handle that input, they automatically execute that input, not the B-Reversal. If it was possible to B-Reverse them, you should be able to perform a non-reversed backwards punch via a B-Reversal, if, say, the input windows for each varied. But as far as I've been able to tell, the input windows overlap completely, so there's no way to avoid triggering the move's automatic reaction to the B-Reversal input.

I'm going to link your guide in my C-Stick Compendium, where I discuss B-Reversals, where I had planned on inserting my own list. Lemme know if you have any problem with that.

Crow!

Smash Lord
Please double check neutral B entries which are projectiles (like Link's arrows). It is well known that you can reverse them by tapping the opposite direction immediately BEFORE the B input, but I am unaware of its ability to be reversed AFTER the B input.

In any case, a similar list to the above for B moves reversible by tapping before the B might also be useful.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
As a Lucario main, I must note that our Down B is reversible. Ever heard of Reverse Double Team? By holding the opposite direction right as the counter initiates, Lucario slides from the opposite direction.

Bellioes

Smash Lord
In any case, a similar list to the above for B moves reversible by tapping before the B might also be useful.
Well Im 99% sure only neutral B moves can be turned around by hitting B before hitting B. So I dont think we really would need a list. And I really can see side Bing out of a run in the opposite direction becoming big. Ive seen some good Diddys use it already to punish shielders. Nice list.

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
is this just that thing found 3 months after release where u can change momentum by pressing a special and quickly press the opposite way before the attack comes out? like snakes c4 and gernade turn arounds they always do???

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
Sonics neutral CAN be reversed.
It can but not in the method used here

Dunno the different names, but with Homing Attack, you have to do the direction input BEFORE pressing the Special button

3GOD, I would mention something about the two different types in the OP if I were you, since pretty much every Neutral B (and probably other types) can be reversed in this way. By using this way, you also carry any momentum you had (so if you were running left with Falco, jumped up, tapped to the right and then pressed B, you'd fire a laser to the right but keep your leftward moving momentum). You probably know that anyway though...

cruzloops

Smash Rookie
It's only recently come to my attention how there is a new B-reversal/Reverse special attack mechanic in Brawl. I was well aware of this tactic with Ganon/Falcon punches, but I did not realize that it worked for MANY other special moves for many characters as well.

For those who don't know, B-reversal is inputing a special move and immediately reversing the direction of the move by moving the control stick very quickly in the direction opposite of your character's face. In other words, if you're facing right, you can input a special move (B-move) and immediately slam left on the control stick (after pressing B) to perform the special move facing left.

What's so great about B-reversal? Well, you can do these from a full-speed running/dashing animation. That is, you could be running full-speed (not just the initial dashing/foxtrot animation) to the right and immediately do a side-B to the left. This could really help out a lot of characters, but I've barely seen this put to use in any videos.

Here is a super-small demonstration of how B-reversal could be used: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=gam3m2w7rNI

Why this post? Well, I've composed a list of moves that are capable of being reversed. Some of these probably are completely useless, but I listed them anyway simply for the sake of being thorough. If you think I've got some mistakes in my list, just let me know, and I'll edit it accordingly. The timing is pretty tight for B-reversal, so I might have concluded some as "No" mistakingly, but I'm pretty sure it's 99% accurate.

Yes - This special move can be reversed in the initial (maybe 3-4 max) frames after hitting B.
No - This special move cannot be reversed after hitting the B button.

Mario
Neutral – Yes
Side – Yes
Up – Yes
Down – No

Luigi
Neutral – Yes
Side – Yes
Up – Yes
Down – Yes

Peach
Neutral – Yes
Side – Yes
Up – Yes
Down – No

Bowser
Neutral – Yes
Side – No
Up – No
Down – Yes

Donkey Kong
Neutral – Yes
Side – Yes
Up – No
Down – No

Diddy Kong
Neutral – Yes
Side – Yes
Up – No
Down – No

Yoshi
Neutral – Yes
Side – Yes
Up – Yes
Down – Yes

Wario
Neutral – Yes
Side – Yes
Up – Yes
Down – No

Link
Neutral – Yes
Side – Yes
Up – Yes
Down – No

Zelda
Neutral – Yes
Side – Yes
Up – No
Down – No

Sheik
Neutral – Yes
Side – Yes
Up – No
Down – No

Ganondorf
Side – Yes
Up – Yes
Down – No

Toon Link
Neutral – Yes
Side – Yes
Up – Yes
Down – No

Samus
Neutral – Yes
Input a Hadoken (down+down-right+right+B)
Side – No
Up – Yes
Down – No

Zero Suit Samus
Neutral – Yes
Side – Yes
Up – Yes
Down – Yes

Pit
Neutral – Yes
Side – Yes
Up – No
Down – Yes

Ice Climbers
Neutral – Yes
Side – Yes
Up – Yes
Down – Yes

R.O.B.
Neutral – Yes
Side – Yes
Up – Yes
Down – Yes

Kirby
Neutral – Yes
Side – Yes
Up – Yes
Down – No

Meta Knight
Neutral – No
Side – Yes
Up – Yes
Down – No

King Dedede
Neutral – Yes
Side – Yes
Up – Yes
Down – Yes

Olimar
Neutral – No
Side – Yes
Up – Yes
Down – No

Fox
Neutral – Yes
Side – Yes
Up – Yes
Down – No

Falco
Neutral – Yes
Side – Yes
Up – Yes
Down – No

Wolf
Neutral – Yes
Side – Yes
Up – Yes
Down – No

Captain Falcon
Side – Yes
Up – Yes
Down – No

Pikachu
Neutral – Yes
Side – Yes
Up – Yes
Down – Yes

Ivysaur
Neutral – Yes
Side – Yes
Up – Yes
Down – No

Charizard
Neutral – Yes
Side – Yes
Up – Yes
Down – No

Squirtle
Neutral – Yes
Side – Yes
Up – Yes
Down – No

Lucario
Neutral – Yes
Side – Yes
Up – No
Down – No

Jigglypuff
Neutral – Yes
Side – Yes
Up – No
Down – No

Marth
Neutral – Yes
Side – Yes
Up – Yes
Down – Yes

Ike
Neutral – Yes
Side – Yes
Up – Yes
Down – Yes

Ness
Neutral – Yes
Side – Yes
Up – No
Down – Yes

Lucas
Neutral – Yes
Side – Yes
Up – No
Down – Yes

Mr. Game & Watch
Neutral – Yes
Side – Yes
Up – Yes
Down – Yes

Snake
Neutral – Yes
Side – Yes
Up – No
Down – Yes (both for planting and detonating the C4)

Sonic
Neutral – No
Side – Yes
Up – Yes
Down – No

Top Bottom