• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Blastzones and how they work in Brawl

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
For those of you who aren't aware, in Melee blastzones were the area where your character was off the screen and appeared in a little bubble. While in a blastzone every character would fall faster than they normally would. This usually presented a problem for Ness players as it made it more difficult to hit with PK Thunder for recovery especially on stages with close edges such as Rainbow Cruise.

In Brawl, blastzones have a similar effect but behave differently in several ways. While under the influence of a blastzone your character will fall slightly faster than normal. This can be seen with Ness and Lucas's PK Thunder recoveries as you have to adjust slightly to hit yourself at the angle that you want. The effect of these appears less detrimental than it was in Melee possibly due to the overall increased floatiness of Brawl. Blastzones may be found at the top, bottom and sides of any stage (barring the bottom one on stages with no holes such as the Mario Kart stage.)

Blast"zone", however, is possibly no longer the best term to describe these areas. The enhanced gravitational effect is no longer always present when your character is off the screen and in the bubble. Instead there appear to be blastzone gravitational lines, strategically placed on stages. These lines have a relatively small area of effect from which they can pull you down and are placed in slightly different places for different stages. Most blastzone lines seem to be placed just slightly inside of the camera view. It is possible to be caught in multiple blastzone lines at the corners of the stages making you fall even faster but it's a very precise area and you'll pretty much never find yourself in it.

All testing for my research on blastzones was done with Lucas and Ness as they are apparantly the only characters whose recovery is obviously affected by them. Shooting PKT2 through these gravitational lines will result in physically bending the trajectory downward in the middle of the move. It's a very odd sensation but is the most reliable way of telling where a blastzone is.

The easiest way to see the effect of blastzone lines is by using PKT2 on Jungle Japes. The side and bottom lines seem to be closest to the land on this stage. As an example you can easily notice the effect if you simply drop Lucas or Ness below the platforms and use PKT2. This shows that the blastzone line is actually placed just above the water rather than off the screen. The side blastzone lines are placed relatively near to where the camera cuts off. Every stage seems to have its blastzone lines placed in very slightly different places.

How this applies to you:
It pretty much doesn't. In Brawl you are rarely under the influence of blastzones and when you are it's usually the side or top ones. Since Brawl is so floaty it will almost never have a noticable effect on you. The only characters it has any possibly noticable effect on are Lucas and Ness because of PKT2's bent trajectory from them. No other characters' recovery is affected by blastzones as far as I can tell. I'm not sure of the reason for this. In anycase you will rarely find yourself influenced in any noticable way by these.

All of this information therefore is solely for theoretical purposes on the physics of the game. If through your own testing you find an innaccuracy in any of this please leave a post and I will check it myself. Obviously without AR or anything it's hard to be 100% certain of the accuracy of this stuff.

Vro

Smash Lord
Some clarification. The little circle is officially referred to as a hoop on the Dojo, altho that matters very little. Second, I don't believe you can ever be seen in a hoop while near the bottom blast zone; I just don't think I've ever seen that happen, you just fall.

It's interesting that you say you fall faster while in the hoop, because I've never noticed. But I suppose a Ness/Lucas player would be very sensitive to falling speed, because they can usually recover with their eyes closed.

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
First, yes you can be in a hoop at the bottom of stages, there just isn't much room before you reach the KO line.

The fall speed difference isn't huge. I never noticed it in Melee before I started playing Ness and it's much more noticable in Melee than it is in Brawl.

A point I forgot to mention in this is that just because you're in the hoop doesn't mean that you're in the blastzone range. In fact, often you are outside of it's range and completely unaffected by it. Essentially you can move past the blastzone line. This is usually only possible on the sides and top though since there isn't much room at the bottom.

LoyalSoldier

Smash Apprentice
Some clarification. The little circle is officially referred to as a hoop on the Dojo, altho that matters very little. Second, I don't believe you can ever be seen in a hoop while near the bottom blast zone; I just don't think I've ever seen that happen, you just fall.

It's interesting that you say you fall faster while in the hoop, because I've never noticed. But I suppose a Ness/Lucas player would be very sensitive to falling speed, because they can usually recover with their eyes closed.
You can see them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rHSWSMHd2U

Just watch carefully. It is hard to see a lot of times because the health bars get in the way.

Chaotic Yoshi

Smash Lord
I thought this thread was going to be about how the blast zone registered deaths vertically.

In melee, you could jump as high as you wanted, turn on AR and jump forever and not die vertically. You would just drop from the high you gained and fall for a really long time.

In brawl, you can actually jump to your death, if you have a good stage with a low ceiling and a character with high vertical distance, its do-able.

There are a few interesting things despite this. In melee you could go to rainbow cruise, choose kirby, and uthrow someone on the higher part of the flying ship and you both would be star KOed.

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
can u really die like that chaotic?

like snake on mario bros stage and use a bunny hood to up+b and jump on a sonic spring first? would u die?

in melee no matter how high u went if it was with ur chars jumps, or up b ud never die

anyway. why make a thread on these blastzones if u sai they would never affect us really? idk if this is only for nesss/lucas post there

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
^^^
Because it's something to know about the physics of the game. Understanding the small details of the game lead us to greater discoveries and greater understanding of why they work the way that they do. This is not to say that I think this will lead to anything new or exciting but it is something to know. And every once in a while it is going to affect you, you just probably won't realize it's happening. Now you'll know why you got "sucked" into the water on Jungle Japes while Fox's Up B was charging. Now you'll know why you lost that stock at the bottom of the screen when it looked like you could make it. It might not change whether or not you can avoid it, but atleast you'll understand what has occured.

To your question, it seems to depend whether you can kill yourself off the top. Wario can easily do it by double jumping and using a fully charged Down B. On the other hand, after getting a smash ball, he gains infinite jumps with his aerials that won't allow him to go off the top of the screen no matter how high you go. No clue why but that's what I've noticed anyway.

Tenki

Smash Hero
To your question, it seems to depend whether you can kill yourself off the top. Wario can easily do it by double jumping and using a fully charged Down B. On the other hand, after getting a smash ball, he gains infinite jumps with his aerials that won't allow him to go off the top of the screen no matter how high you go. No clue why but that's what I've noticed anyway.
Wario's is just an exception, as far as I know.

I don't know of anyone else who can jump-suicide off the top.

Sonic and G&W definitely can't, not with their own moves.

Doyoudigworms

Smash Cadet
I first started to notice this about a two weeks into playing brawl, just about the time I picked up Lucas as my main. This isn't concern for some characters but when you reach a vertical distance close enough to the blast zone, regardless of what percent (0%-100%) If you get attacked in any which way you will die. Word to the wise, I first came across this at a local tourney, my Lucas suffered the fate of a down+B from a Pikachu player at the top of the screen at a mere 10%. So be very weery when approaching close to blastzones (particularly stages with low ceilings) chaser characters can gimp you and score easy kills due to Brawls Physics.

Personally I hate the Vacuum effect the blastzones have in Brawl. But that comes in a close second to the lack of hitstun and tripping comes in third for my hate list.

I still don't understand this game and why things are the way they are, and I think that's what is most upsetting for most of the SSB veterans.

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
I thought this thread was going to be about how the blast zone registered deaths vertically.

In melee, you could jump as high as you wanted, turn on AR and jump forever and not die vertically. You would just drop from the high you gained and fall for a really long time.

In brawl, you can actually jump to your death, if you have a good stage with a low ceiling and a character with high vertical distance, its do-able.

There are a few interesting things despite this. In melee you could go to rainbow cruise, choose kirby, and uthrow someone on the higher part of the flying ship and you both would be star KOed.
Really? Because I'm pretty sure R.O.B. doesn't die when he goes really high with his Up+B...although I could be wrong, I never specifically tried.

Kasai

Smash Journeyman
I don't think that you can jump off the stage...I'm actually 100% positive.

Go into special brawl, mini, low gravity. Pick marth.

Jump and while still moving upward, use >B. It should have upward momentum and as long as you only do the first slash of it, you should continue to have a constant upward momentum. Test it first to make sure you have the timing and technique down.

You can do it infinitely and go higher and higher and never die. When you do finally stop doing it, you fall for a very, very long time. Definitely longer than you do just from getting hit up high and almost dying from an attack.

plasmid

Smash Apprentice
Simple answer is that it would be way to easy for pit to kill himself if you could jump yourself off of the top of the screen. HOWEVER, you can go so high to the point that any move with any knockback whatsoever will kill you because you are beyond the top barrier. Note: The only thing that might hit you at this height is either Pits arrows, or Pika's thunder, I can't think of anything else.

Hughalicous

Smash Apprentice
In the PAL version of mellee, you can jump yourself to death, so this might only apply to people in america and Japan. Why you get the game six months before we do I will never know

17 days to go wooooo

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
You can only jump yourself to death with certain characters or moves. Wario's Down B allows him to jump to his death. I don't know why really but I'm 100% positive he can. I don't really care enough to see if there are others.

salaboB

Smash Champion
Simple answer is that it would be way to easy for pit to kill himself if you could jump yourself off of the top of the screen. HOWEVER, you can go so high to the point that any move with any knockback whatsoever will kill you because you are beyond the top barrier. Note: The only thing that might hit you at this height is either Pits arrows, or Pika's thunder, I can't think of anything else.
Pika's thunder doesn't actually reach all that high.

Kikuichimonji

Smash Apprentice
Pikachu's thunder doesn't happen above the cloud, does it?

Kasai

Smash Journeyman
You can only jump yourself to death with certain characters or moves. Wario's Down B allows him to jump to his death. I don't know why really but I'm 100% positive he can. I don't really care enough to see if there are others.

If you're sure that he can, it means that it depends on the property of the attack. I know you can't physically jump off the top (pit/marth in my example etc) but snake can blow himself off the top with C4 in the air. If wario's fart is maybe considered a move that, instead of just jumping wario, "explodes" him vertically, it might kill him .

Amarkov

Smash Apprentice
Pikachu's thunder doesn't happen above the cloud, does it?
No; if you test it on Hyrule Temple (and probably New Pork City) you can see that. But Pikachu can jump high enough that it's not a problem on most stages.

Scala

Smash Ace
I believe I saw a video where wario was on battlefield, stood on the top platform, double jumped, used his sideB, jumped again, and killed himself.

On the flipside, on the low gravity portion of PS2/Ship I can double jump with diddy and use a fully charged upB and go way high and not die.

Top Bottom