• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Landing Lag

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
This was originally just a little discovery regarding Marth's Up+B, but after some further testing it's been found to happen with everyone, to varying effect.

If you use an attack that puts you in recovery special (Marth's Up+B, Falco's Side+B, etc.), as you know, you'll have a special landing animation that's usually more laggy than you'd like. Most people avoid this by recovering to the ledge. (Ike doesn't count, basically)

However, if you do recover to the ledge this way, the game sets a special flag that makes you unable to IASA your next landing. As you may or may not know, all characters have two different landings - a "heavy landing" that comes from fastfalling or falling from a long distance, and a "soft landing" from landing normally and not from a long distance. Soft landing can be IASA'd as quickly as frame 1, though the full animation lasts around 6 frames. Heavy landings have about 15-30 frames of animation, depending on the character, but they can be IASA'd on frame 4.

Also, the flag is reset once you land at all. So, getting up/rolling up from the ledge doesn't reset the flag, but landing from an aerial does. In other words, as Marth, you can easily just ledgehop a fair and get the fair landing lag instead of the normal landing lag.

If you Up+B'd to the ledge, the flag makes you unable to IASA your next landing, so if you tried an empty SHFF, now you know why you're suddenly stuck on the ground randomly.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Interesting discovery. The only reason I could honestly see for this is to make ledgehopped attacks after recovery more punishable. Thats good to know.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Well, that's the thing. Ledgehopped attacks aren't more punishable. You can easily bypass the laggy 15-30 frame heavy landing by instead landing with an aerial and having the landing lag from that. There are several characters with aerials that have far less landing lag than the heavy landing.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Then perhaps this is simply an oversight by the developers? I can't think of any other reason they would've done this on purpose...

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
These are the same guys that put in tripping.

I would put nothing past thier evil minds.

1HKO

Smash Apprentice
lol these people are neither evil nor idiots(SSBM is an example of this) they just put Havok in a great game(I HATE Havok) and added tripping(I see this as a way to prevent any new wave dash that may come from dashing a certain way or other(yes, I know dashing was worse than wd in SSBM so how could it be the same or better in brawl?)).

Top Bottom