• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shield-Halted Aerials

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
Shielding during an initial dash cancels your momentum completely (actually shielding during anything that would qualify as a Foxtrot cancels your momentum). This is well known, I think, but hasn't really been exploited. This is one useful exploit of this shield property. You can release the control stick, shield, and jump to do aerials in place from a dash.

1. Dash
2. Release the control stick
3. Shield and immediately jump

This only takes one frame and for some characters is very useful for spacing certain attacks. It's particularly useful for Captain Falcon (because his initial dash is so long), as it makes chaining nairs easier and in general spacing aerials is easier.

Basically the effect is identical to pivoting a SH, except you don't turn around. You can combine pivoting and shield-halting to gain very precise control of your aerial spacing.

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
Lol Shai, what is it with you and the shield lately :p

Anyways, this seems useful to an extent but can't you essentially do the same thing by simply dashing to a wavedash?
No, for two reasons. First, you can't space a wavedash as precisely. Second, and more important, wavedashing incurs a minimum delay of something like 15 frames.

Shield-halting aerials is very useful for Captain Falcon and somewhat useful for Marth. I don't know about other characters though.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
Kirby only gets 14 frames of lag, and I can space just as precisely ;)

No worries though, im not looking down on this, it definitely makes spacing Falcon's Nair much easier(yes, im playing Melee at 2 in the morning, you got a problem with that?) This also seems to make shield pressure/mindgames much easier as you can approach a shielding opponent and keep yourself outside of shieldgrab range.

Falcinho

Smash Ace
Lol, I just got this idea myself some days ago.

cuz i started to play cf in friendlies and I never hit with this mofo knee >_>'

JFox

Smash Hero
this sounds great. however, before I am convinced of its usefulness, I'd have to see it in action.

Shai is completely stripping this game to its core with one technique after another.

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
I left my capture card back at my apartment at college, but I'll grab it and make a vid when I go up there...which should be in at most one week. Ish.

This tech makes some CF combos easier, particularly NAIR chains. Another application I found is in drillshine infinites with Fox on characters who slide long enough to require a dash between each iteration (for instance, Marth). If you shield-halt the dair you're much less likely to overshoot. So basically, dair=>shine=>wavedash=>dash=>shield-halted dair=>shine=>reverse wavedash=>repeat. It's still hard but not nearly as hard as it is without shield-halting.

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
just jump and hold back and c stick your aerials

same spacing effect and much easier
No. You go forward farther just holding back even if you slam the stick back on the first available frame. Plus you can do retreating aerials from dashes this way. For instance you can do a shield-halted nair with CF, then hold back with control stick. It's very much the same effect as pivoting aerials, but you don't turn around.

debaser

Smash Lord
This is really nice for falcon's nairs. makes them much easier to space from a dash.

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
like 8 pixels.... it's pretty good but... i've never seen somethin where that space makes the game esp from a dash shffl its like stuff like that just isnt common maybe wd spacing and stuff but like dashing spacing.....

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
like 8 pixels.... it's pretty good but... i've never seen somethin where that space makes the game esp from a dash shffl its like stuff like that just isnt common maybe wd spacing and stuff but like dashing spacing.....
I'm not convinced you're doing this correctly because I can pull back much more when shield-halting. Moreover, while pulling back may make you LAND in nearly the same spot, at the beginning and middle parts of your jump you are more exposed and could possibly get hit or shield-grabbed etc. even if you pull back.

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
I know exactly what the technique is but I don't think it's that applicable as people aren't very frame tight with things like this when simply yielding your momentum reveals similar (albeit not perfectly similar) results.

But I'm just sayin', not to damper anything here... I just don't think it's much of anything =/

Top Bottom