• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Jigglypuff's Rest

Velda

Smash Rookie
I've recently decided to get into trying to main jigglypuff. Why? Who doesn't love a light pink ball of fluff that can combo? Anyway, I've been having trouble hitting people with rest because I can't figure out how I have to hit them to use rest. Any tips to a jigglypuff noob?

Popertop

Smash Champion
the hitbox is a little closer to the center of her forehead instead of her body it seems like.
I may be wrong.
And I probably am.

orochijes

Smash Journeyman
I'm not sure I can say anything really usefull besides it just takes a while to get the timing right. Once you can do that, you can start useing rest setups. Dair -> rest is probably the easiest one.

Waddle

Smash Ace
Although it got nerfed, rest is still jigglypuff's best kill move. Just use it when they are at kill percentages. If you use it before then they can punish you.
Yeah I realized this after I played Jiggz for a little bit :p. It's still 2 good.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
There is also another way to do a rest, however, in this method it is almost never a KO move, you just have to hope they do not come back fast enough top get a fully charged smash off. The trick is the hit-stun at low damages with the Uair, which can allow you to a rest. There is a small overlap when doing it where it will KO, but it is small. Use with caution.

Shadow 111

Smash Lord
hmm does anyone still use jumping out of your shield to rest after your opponent uses a laggy smash ??
(also known as mango rest lol)

i started playing puff again recently and i did it to a sonic while he was up smashing my shield XD

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
hmm does anyone still use jumping out of your shield to rest after your opponent uses a laggy smash ??
(also known as mango rest lol)

i started playing puff again recently and i did it to a sonic while he was up smashing my shield XD
I've been able to pull it off a few times.

KishPrime

King of the Ship of Fools
BRoomer
Heh...Mango rest? It was around long before then, but I'm sure he was the best at it by the end of Melee.

I've found very few setups for rest. Dair is obviously the best if you autocancel it. Jumping out of shield seems much less effective, but I think that is because we don't know the timing for these moves as well. I haven't played enough to really play with it, but platform rests should still work. Platform rests are when you knock someone on to a platform and rest them out of their tech. Since it limits the space they have to work with, it makes them an easier target.

Anyone have a list of %s at which Rest tends to kill? I know that I can hit Bowser at 85-90 and he still doesn't die on most levels.

TheStig

Smash Lord
Heh...Mango rest? It was around long before then, but I'm sure he was the best at it by the end of Melee.

I've found very few setups for rest. Dair is obviously the best if you autocancel it. Jumping out of shield seems much less effective, but I think that is because we don't know the timing for these moves as well. I haven't played enough to really play with it, but platform rests should still work. Platform rests are when you knock someone on to a platform and rest them out of their tech. Since it limits the space they have to work with, it makes them an easier target.

Anyone have a list of %s at which Rest tends to kill? I know that I can hit Bowser at 85-90 and he still doesn't die on most levels.
There's a list on the jigglypuff discussion thread.

Jigglypuff Discussion Thread

Shadow 111

Smash Lord

yea, i know.. i had been using it b4 i heard of him even lol but still i know a lot of new ppl know it because of mango lol.
yea check that list .. it should be accurate.. (at least i hope it is)
what makes you be able to do a dair rest in this game? no L cancelling so i didnt understand how it works... if you time it right you have time to do the rest? :confused:

also, kish prime- you don't play brawl much?

tEhrXXz0r

Smash Journeyman
Anyone ever try predicting what/where your opponent will do/be after coming off a ledge (via attacking, jumping off, rolling out of, or staying on the ledge) and then Resting? lol it works for me, but it's a friggin' risky mind game.

rinoH

Smash Lord
Anyone ever try predicting what/where your opponent will do/be after coming off a ledge (via attacking, jumping off, rolling out of, or staying on the ledge) and then Resting? lol it works for me, but it's a friggin' risky mind game.

yeah i always do that but i almost always miss and get punished for it but when i do land it it is the best feeling ever

Cat Fight

Smash Lord
NNID
NoGoodEndings
I KO'd a Lucario at 65% with dair > rest. o_O;

For some reason my friend Beast is able to perfect shield nearly all my dair rest combos. It's very impressive, but frustrating. So usually I have to mix it up with dair, jab, jab, SH rest or something...

Phampy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Phampy
Everyone has a different percent that they die from rest, plus the stage's ceiling also plays an important role in the damage you need before KOing with rest. Anyways, Cat Fight, your friend shields every hit of Dair or the Rest? If he shields Dair then wow, but I doubt that. If the Rest is being perfect shielded, then you have to fastfall into Rest. As soon as Dair ends, fastfall into Rest and it'll be a combo. If you don't fastfall, they have a small window of opportunity to shield your Rest and it won't be a combo.

Cat Fight

Smash Lord
NNID
NoGoodEndings
Everyone has a different percent that they die from rest, plus the stage's ceiling also plays an important role in the damage you need before KOing with rest. Anyways, Cat Fight, your friend shields every hit of Dair or the Rest? If he shields Dair then wow, but I doubt that. If the Rest is being perfect shielded, then you have to fastfall into Rest. As soon as Dair ends, fastfall into Rest and it'll be a combo. If you don't fastfall, they have a small window of opportunity to shield your Rest and it won't be a combo.
Just the Rest. But this helps... I guess I wasn't fastfalling before. Thanks. :"}

Top Bottom