• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

When playing a solo climber.

KRDsonic

Smash Master
When you get down to one Ice Climber, how drastically do you change your fighting style?

Usually when I get down to one Ice Climber, I have to go to normal fighting, as with anyone using a solo, since you can't do chain grabbing at this point. I tend to use most of the same tactics I use when I have two of them, like short hop blizzard, though I use that a lot more when I'm playing solo since it's one of the few ways to build up dammage at this point. I also use Ice Blocks to keep my spacing a lot more than usual, and I tend to play a bit more recklessly, though I try to stay away from edges due to the lack of good recovery alone. I can hold my own pretty well playing solo, though it's hard to get kills this way. The most effective way I can kill is to run up to the opponent, sidestep, then use a downsmash.

Every now and then when playing against my neighbor, I'll say that I'll play a match against him using only 1 Ice Climber, I usually loose these, but not by much unless he uses Meta Knight. Every now and then I'll win these matches, but they are normally drawn out and I have to play very defensively, because as soon as I'm over the edge I'm pretty much done for.

Anyways, how do you people handle yourselves when playing with only 1 Ice Climber?

slacker!

Smash Journeyman
I'm actually amazing without Nana according to teh Dallas kids around here. I'm "known to go into Popo mode". I can still pull of amazing chaingrabs and finishers. I wish they had recorded my video of me pseudo 0%-death chaingrabbing on a Charizard with solo Popo.

KRDsonic

Smash Master
I'm actually amazing without Nana according to teh Dallas kids around here. I'm "known to go into Popo mode". I can still pull of amazing chaingrabs and finishers. I wish they had recorded my video of me pseudo 0%-death chaingrabbing on a Charizard with solo Popo.
Oh yeah, I forgot some characters you could chain grab solo for a while xD. I chain grabbed my friend's falco to the edge, then forward smashed before he could move out of it and it sent him really far to the right and down, so he died.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I have a replay of me chaingrabbing Rayzoriums marth to the edge, then fthrow and jumping out and fairing him, followed by an edge hog. 0-death :).

megamanexev3

Smash Journeyman
I don't know why the hell this works, Squall Spamming is GREAT. People just seem to run into it. Jumping into a blizzard is great as well. Don't F-Smash. Don't. It will get you killed. Only F Smash if it's going to be a surefire hit.

Straylit

Smash Cadet
I usually do a lot of short hop blizzards and down chain grabs. When i deem their % is high enough i usually try to down throw to fair.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
I play a lot more defensively with one climber, and use a lot more nairs. Lots of down throw chains to forward smashes.

Fredd

Smash Apprentice
What kinds of recovery-type moves do you all (prefer to) perform while playing solo?

VirtualVoid

Smash Journeyman
Spotdodges become much more usefull when fighting solo, the IC have a great spotdodge.

LaserBust

Smash Journeyman
I play pretty aggresive, but not on the ground, I stay in t3h air, Yeeeeeeh. Nairs and RaR Bairs. Thats wut its all about. =D

What kinds of recovery-type moves do you all (prefer to) perform while playing solo?

If possible I like 2 UpB 2 ledge. Otherwise, Squall is the only way 2 go.

Dan_X

Smash Lord
That solo chain is great... I used it against a fox today and Fox can't escape it untill very high percents.. maybe 80ish.. geez.

P.S. Hyli, I think you sent me that match. Sick. Also, nice match against that Wolf... I love killing Wolf, he's one of my friend's mains. :D

Dionysus

Smash Cadet
solo popo can 0-death wolf with EASE, dthrow chaingrab to fsmash or iceblock, wolfs hevay weight coupled with horrible DI ability makes it near impossible for him to escape and ice blocks gimp his already horrible recovery

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
solo popo can 0-death wolf with EASE, dthrow chaingrab to fsmash or iceblock, wolfs hevay weight coupled with horrible DI ability makes it near impossible for him to escape and ice blocks gimp his already horrible recovery
Wolf absolutely ***** wolo popo wow. If he is bair spacing, how are you supposed to grab him?

And his recovery is not bad. Wolf players here around norcal (Lucien and Germ) are pretty beastly at aiming their recoveries. Wolf will either kick you with up-B, sweetspot, or get a DEVASTATING side-B hit on you. Don't say his recovery is bad.

Popo's solo chain grab does not do a lot of damage, and it moves across the stage pretty quickly, so it isn't infinite by any means. They escape it after you're at the edge. So even if you do it all the way across FD and fsmash out of it, it still does what... 50%? Wolf is a full character, guys. Solo popo is half of one.

Get this, guys. I don't want to doom popo to being horrible, because he can still do unexpectedly well if you play smart. But he is still only half of the Ice Climbers, not a full fledged character... He can lose to even great Yoshi or Samus players.

As solo popo you have no choice but to completely outsmart your opponents and fight the uphill battle without giving up. The key is survival and smart spacing and maneuvering, and high accuracy with his fairly short range. It was this way in Melee with Popo and it's the case in Brawl. (Though now he doesn't have superb WD speed... xD Irrelevant though. That's just me moping at the loss.)

Miller

Smash Lord
When Im just using Popo, I tend not to use a single smash untill there at around 100%, what I usually do is be patient, make them come to me, I usually use Blizzard alot, squall hammer, and Ice block.

LaserBust

Smash Journeyman
When Im just using Popo, I tend not to use a single smash untill there at around 100%, what I usually do is be patient, make them come to me, I usually use Blizzard alot, squall hammer, and Ice block.
U spamm B moves... Lol jkin, me 2!!!

Finch

Smash Lord
lol, brawl SoPo is like 1/8 a character. All you can do is cower in the middle of the stage and space well. If you get camped you are completely ****ed. It's not like melee where you could WD around and do combos and actually have an ok recovery. Brawl solo climber is just awful.

Elliot Gale

Smash Ace
I used to think so too, but a great deal of his power comes from people underestimating Popo. Sure, he can't grab combo, but he can do most of the other things. I mean, he's still better than the like of Ganondorf and Falcon. =S

I do a whole cautious aggression thing when solo. How the hell Popo can really put on pressure, I dunno, but it seems to work.

Psymon

Smash Sweetheart
Defence. I play really cheap when I'm down to one. I defend and play mindgames until I can get a shot in. I'm used to playing with one from melee though because Nana actually bounced off the ledge from a belay instead of grabbing on (-.-) so it's not that bad for me =D. Cheap but technical! Psy.

Dan_X

Smash Lord
I used to think so too, but a great deal of his power comes from people underestimating Popo. Sure, he can't grab combo, but he can do most of the other things. I mean, he's still better than the like of Ganondorf and Falcon. =S

I do a whole cautious aggression thing when solo. How the hell Popo can really put on pressure, I dunno, but it seems to work.
Technically, he can still grab combo... which is to say he can still execute a chaingrab, even without Nana.

Elliot Gale

Smash Ace
Trust me, I've played against most of the cast and attempt the solo dthrow chain whenever I can. Almost every character can escape by DIing away and then jumping/up-bing/whatever out of it. Those are the only two I could think of that will actually be taken the full length of FD in one series 100% of the time.

KRDsonic

Smash Master
I've been discovering lately that a Solo Ice Climber is pretty much a basic character almost no exploits, lately I've been playing just as well with 1 as I have been with 2. It takes a lot of dodging and mind games, and finding ways to keep yourself away from the edge, but I've found ways to make people fear even one Ice Climber.

Dan_X

Smash Lord
I've been discovering lately that a Solo Ice Climber is pretty much a basic character almost no exploits, lately I've been playing just as well with 1 as I have been with 2. It takes a lot of dodging and mind games, and finding ways to keep yourself away from the edge, but I've found ways to make people fear even one Ice Climber.
Same lol. I love owning with solo. The one up-side to solo Popo is that spot-dodging becomes very easy, that and anything having to do with the shield (perfect shielding for example).

Auroura

Smash Cadet
NNID
Auroura
When I'm using only 1 Ice Climber I tend to use squall hammer a lot more, and if possible just downthrow chain someone to the edge, I try to use my backair more and dash and up smash them. As far as recovery goes I always save my second jump, use an Ice block to go even higher then squall hammer right back over to the stage. It works out well sometimes because if my opponent is trying to smash me back off the stage I can cancel it and try to get some distance with squall hammer. This doesn't go as well with Wolfs though because his forward smash always seems to get me.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
SoPo can successfully play a game of evasion... but his damage-dealing game is VERY poor.

If you are a patient and evasive player, and very accurate with his bairs/uairs, and space well with the blizzards... you can diminish his weaknesses and amplify his strengths.

He is still a weak character, but sometimes we have no choice but to give him a chance when Nana dies.

KRDsonic

Smash Master
I'm actually thinking of using a Solo Ice Climber for some of my battles at the next tournament I'll go to, since Xyro banned chain grabbing for houston tournaments...

KRDsonic

Smash Master
Why not just continuing using both climbers without CGs? Personally I'd change characters though <_<
Because it's a good feeling to hear the people behind you gasp in amazement when they see you pull off an amazing chain grab, so the same will probably happen if I start beating people solo. And I will never use another main that's not Ice Climbers, I've been using them since the day I started playing Melee and I will continue to use them. I have diddy as a backup to fight characters like MK, Pikachu, and Toon Link, but other than that, I just really like Ice Climbers.

Alou

Smash Cadet
When I'm down to Popo, I pretty much just play really defensively and try to just wrack up the %. Normally I lose Nana when I'm rather close to losing a stock anyways so its just really get them higher and get a final smash if I can get an easy hit.

Top Bottom