• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Can someone explain why DK pwns snake's ass?

ADHD

Smash Hero
It doesn't make sense. I could beat this amazing snake player with sheik by just 1 stock out of 3, (she is my best character) and then I decided to try out donkey kong and just barely 3 stocked him (I got KO'd right before I could kill him.) How does a slow ape with no projectiles, beat a full arsenal of gernades, mines, and rockets so well?

itsaxelol

Smash Ace
1) dk isnt really slow
2) the king lives long; can eat quiet a few aaa and ftilts
3) the king has more range than snake
4) snakes recovery and dk = spiked snake
5) down b > snakes motar sliding
6) down b > snakes dsmash mine
7) down b > snakes whole ground game
8) bair uair > snakes air game

Crystanium

Smash Hero
"He's bigger, faster, and stronger too! He's the first member of the DK crew!"

Donkey Kong is a pretty powerful character, and honestly, he's faster than Snake. His jabs (neutral A) is all that is really necessary to rack up percentages. Furthermore, he's got that powerful punch, which not only protects him with the "magic armor," but also annihilates anyone who gets near. Don't underestimate Donkey Kong.

Fliphopper

Smash Lord
"He's bigger, faster, and stronger too! He's the first member of the DK crew!"

Donkey Kong is a pretty powerful character, and honestly, he's faster than Snake. His jabs (neutral A) is all that is really necessary to rack up percentages. Furthermore, he's got that powerful punch, which not only protects him with the "magic armor," but also annihilates anyone who gets near. Don't underestimate Donkey Kong.
Yea, pretty much sums it. Only thing you should worry is the Utilt. That is too good, but with great spacing, hell even a ftilt can stop his snake-sliding

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Yea, pretty much sums it. Only thing you should worry is the Utilt. That is too good, but with great spacing, hell even a ftilt can stop his snake-sliding
Donkey Kong's Down+A smash is does wonders. I can't tell you how many times I've defeated my foes like that without any effort. I am thinking about having Donkey Kong join my little team, considering that I have done well with him in online battles. I rarely played as him in the previous games.

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
lets keep score

snakes tend to be campy, dk has one of the best approaches in the game. DK 1

snakes have projectiles, dk does not. Snake 1

DK can catch Snakes projectiles and glide toss them back, eliminating further ranged conflict. DK 1

Snake has a low of range power and priority in his hand to hand moves, DK has more range and power and equal priority DK 1

Snake can make it so you trigger grenades when you punch his shield, DK can kill snake with a grab past 30. DK 1

Snakes upb has some super armor on parts of it, DK's upb also has super armor, but DK's upb hits snake out of snakes upb. DK 1

Snake is easily gimped, DK is very good at gimping. DK 1

DK can kill quicker than snake. DK 1

Snake has both ftiltand utilt. Snake 2

final score DK 7, Snake 3. DK > Snake

counter dedede chaingrab, then you counter falco and return the favor

Doval

Smash Lord
It's the dumbest thing ever. You just buffer another grab, and presto, Dedede grabs you again. It's pretty easy to do, try it in Training Mode. Only works against Mario, Samus, Luigi, and DK. Not only can a brain dead chimp do it, it's truly infinite since he won't move.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
too late, my second is link and ness

Linguini

Smash Master
I enjoy this matchup alot and it's mostly because playing with DK makes it enjoyable.
DK goes even with snake IMO and the sole reason for this is because dk can kill snake earlier than snake can kill him which almost no other char in the game can do vs. snake.
Ftilts outrange his ftilts and so does your fsmash. Dsmash out of shield can kill snake reaaaaaally early so always keep that in mind.
Not to mention DK can combo the **** out of snake and chase him off the stage easily with bairs.

Nicktendo

Smash Ace
1) dk isnt really slow
2) the king lives long; can eat quiet a few aaa and ftilts
3) the king has more range than snake
4) snakes recovery and dk = spiked snake
5) down b > snakes motar sliding
6) down b > snakes dsmash mine
7) down b > snakes whole ground game
8) bair uair > snakes air game
going to perfect my dk for this matchup <3

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
lets keep score

snakes tend to be campy, dk has one of the best approaches in the game. DK 1

snakes have projectiles, dk does not. Snake 1

DK can catch Snakes projectiles and glide toss them back, eliminating further ranged conflict. DK 1

Snake has a low of range power and priority in his hand to hand moves, DK has more range and power and equal priority DK 1

Snake can make it so you trigger grenades when you punch his shield, DK can kill snake with a grab past 30. DK 1

Snakes upb has some super armor on parts of it, DK's upb also has super armor, but DK's upb hits snake out of snakes upb. DK 1

Snake is easily gimped, DK is very good at gimping. DK 1

DK can kill quicker than snake. DK 1

Snake has both ftiltand utilt. Snake 2

final score DK 7, Snake 3. DK > Snake

counter dedede chaingrab, then you counter falco and return the favor
A few of these points are accurate, but some are just plain ignorant bias. It'd help if you elaborated on some of your points on DK too. I'll start.

- I don't play a campy snake, but I'll tell you that a campy one mortar spamming makes Snake a helluva lot harder to approach. DK's bair, ftilt, dtilt and down-b could reach, but that's what mortar sliding for mobility or nade countering against an obvious approach is for.
- Grenade stripping and cooking will prevent a DK from ever throwing a nade back at Snake. Ever. Glide toss a Nikita while you're at it.
- Snake does NOT have low range and priority in his close combat moves, are you kidding?
- How does grenade countering even relate to stage spiking KO with a throw? How can you even compare the two? (And if it's not stage spiking with the cargo throw that you're talking about, please, enlighten me.) FYI you don't need to shield to damage the opponent that hits you, heck you can even just roll out of the way and they'll hit the nade while you're free from shield stun.
- So because DK's up+b can hit Snake out of his, it's better?...Automatically giving a "point" or 'advantage' as I'm interpreting it towards DK? Heck there are a numerous amount of attacks from almost all characters that can hit Snake out of his up+b. What does clashing up+b's have anything to do with a character's advantages/disadvantages? For the record, Snake's recovery surpasses DK's.

If you're going to make advantageous points for DK against Snake, I would have expected far better relevant ones, like how DK can really do a number juggling with utilt and how uair is a pretty good finisher against a falling Snake due to it's big hitbox, or how bair works well against knocking him out of cypher.

Edit: I very much agree that DK can kill quicker, and that he can gimp better (although it's usually with the stage spiked throw because good Snakes will recover from way up high). I'm just saying several of your points are inaccurate or else not elaborated, and so don't provide a true analysis of the pros and cons. Feel free to question mine.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
people need to play my snake, BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...... jk

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
what i mean low priority/power is less than dk, and i mentioned his insane ftilt and utilt, also, snakes have a tendency to not cook the first grenade, do not pick up cooked ones is implied. as for the grab/ grenade counter, I am not talking about stage spiking, that does not kill until late, I'm talking about throwing them off the stage so they either
1. jump back without the helicopter, in which they can be spiked and/or knocked back farth
2. use there helicopter without taking the high way, which is a pretty easy spike
3. take the high way, which can be rushed by a double jump fair unless they're being extremely careful, which most aren't when going up and around

and the snake players I have played, dsf, ajax, psychomidget (psychomidget was friendlies though, so you don't have to count him if you don't want) tend to underestimate dks grab range, and if you see the roll coming you just grab them at the other end

KingofCereal

Smash Journeyman
rusty is right. DK is only able to juggle the very heavy, big, snake really well (utilts work the best). That is easily his strongest asset in the matchup. His 2nd strongest is his b-air which is just so good. so good.

FreakingMethodiC

Smash Journeyman
Premium
People have to play better Snake players
I got about three of dem ****ers here in New York in the friendlys at my college. Nothing is more fun then chasing Snakes who slide across the stage charging Up smashes, grenades everywhere and other wierd BS gimmicks.

I lost the last semi's to a snake who i gimped their recovery but mined himself and came back... talk about bull****. SoB has too many tricks to be truely countered.

And to ChromePirate: Even Snakes supposed counters like lucario or pika cus of their CG's on him still don't have a clear path to victory vs a crafty snake player, nothing is ever certain.

Snakes fights are amazing, they keep you on your toes and test you knowledge of the game, i dont mind fighting the monster. I just don't like fighting one when it really counts.

itsaxelol

Smash Ace
i dont have a claim to fame by playing rockstars like bigfoot has, but snake hasnt given me trouble in a looooooong time. i love the match

Ghetto Soldier

Smash Apprentice
all i see him having over snake is his giant ****** hands. snakes air game goes to **** but, he can still win on the ground.tilts,upsmash with C4 planting thats how you win vs DK YOU DONT CAMP THE ******!!!!!!!

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
all i see him having over snake is his giant ****** hands. snakes air game goes to **** but, he can still win on the ground.tilts,upsmash with C4 planting thats how you win vs DK YOU DONT CAMP THE ******!!!!!!!
thank you for the input random person #30, however, judging by the fact that you underestimate dks ground range and priority, i doubt you have played many good dks in person

Ghetto Soldier

Smash Apprentice
thank you for the input random person #30, however, judging by the fact that you underestimate dks ground range and priority, i doubt you have played many good dks in person
i never said his ground game was bad i meant if you rush him and give him no spacing you can beat him.
i know how good DK is bigfoot i heard about your skills.

i didnt mean it like snake kills the ****ing monkey

redgreenblue

Smash Ace
i never said his ground game was bad i meant if you rush him and give him no spacing you can beat him.
i know how good DK is bigfoot i heard about your skills.

i didnt mean it like snake kills the ****ing monkey
If you try to rush a DK and give him no space... remember dtilts and dsmashes. Both fast and have immense range or power, respectively.

manhunter098

Smash Lord
I do think this this matchup chart needs a at least two different degrees of advantage. One basically stating that the fight is probably going to be pretty one sided and another stating that the difference is not to difficult too overcome with more skill on the part of the character with the disadvantage. Its probably been said before though, but I searched a couple keywords and didnt find anything so maybe it hasnt.

Either way I think that its useful to know that if two characters, that are controlled by players of pretty much equal skill, fight, that if character A gets repeatedly 2 stocked by character B...then the statement of a disadvantage in that case, should clearly show that there is a huge disparity between the characters.

Top Bottom