• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Better Lucario Official Guide/Faq/Database (Now with More Lawl!)

Milln

Smash Champion
Alright. I'll try to make this as easy, informative, and entertaining a read I can make it. And there will be updates. Yes. Sweet, sweet, updates. I'll be linking to important threads and posts, as well as quoting throughout the guide for proof and backing up theories, as well as Discovered By credit so you can all have bragging rights. Contributions are more than accepted, they're ENCOURAGED to help keep this going to maintain this comprehensive pile of information. None of these sections should be considered complete and are always welcoming debate and add-ons.

Edit Log:
May 8th, 2008- Created. Will thumb through the original FAQ topic and other topics for information that needs to be displayed later unless someone does it for me. <3
May 8th, 2008- Decided it would be a good idea to put tags on the sections to prevent tl;dr's
May 8th, 2008- Added Wallclinging section and added a couple tricks. Added movie for Combo 19
May 9th, 2008- Jotted information in the moveset that I forgot when they were first written. Added a sad, but cute picture for the Cons. Added some Double Teams to the approach section. Switched up the third introductory picture. Added two tricks.
May 13th, 2008- Added more reasons to play as our loveable blue guy. Added something about AAA's range.
May 14th, 2008- Verified Wall Cling time. Added a combo! Added some approaches. Mentioned momentum games in the Tricks section.
May 20th, 2008- Finally got that Aura and Extra Aura multiplier figured out, we think. Keep testing, it's by no means concrete, unless it is. >,>
May 20th, 2008- Redid all the multipliers and found out more accurate caps.
May 21st/22nd, 2008- Added Four new combos, Two new tricks, noted which throws are affected by the damage modifier, three approaches, and switched up the pictures for a change of pace. The first one wins for "Best Picture of Aura Storm".
May 30th, 2008- Switched up introductory pictures, added an approach, introduced the Matchup section. See it for details.
May 30th, 2008- Very negligible update. Added some minor tactics on Boozerdance, Captain Faulkner, Mr. Deeds, and Go.
May 31st, 2008- Added some more information on Boozer and Deeds.
June 1st, 2008- Added stuff about Deed's chain grabs that I left out since the beginning. Oops. put a little more in the Dedede section.
June 1st, 2008- Diddy Kong section. Information and done for now.
June 3rd, 2008- Dedede confirmed. Don't get grabbed.
June 4th, 2008- Added Snah-kay matchup. Version 1.0 complete. Also added Lucario's Codec call in the Versatility section. Added more to Dedede, making it 1.2 and clarified on Ike.
June 4th, 2008- Updated the Double Team KO percentages to take into consideration Double Team's Aura cap because Nodrak is pretty much awesome.
June 6th, 2008- Added things into Snake, making it 1.1, added three obvious combos that I didn't realize before, Included Infinite Second Jump under tricks, added Nessbounder's advice vs. Lucas and my extra comment. I might add more to the body of it later. Put down some minor notes on Olimar and Sonic.
June 8th, 2008- Minor chaingrabbing note on Deeds, extra information an easy gimp kill vs. Snahkay.
June 10th, 2008- Added ExtremeAwesome. Just a small update.
June 12th, 2008- Just rotated the pictures. I'm tired so I don't feel like adding anything tonight. Sorry. Next update will have substance, I promise. Also, about the picture: I had to. XD Also spaced out the sections.
June 18th, 2008- omg yay update Matchup information on Meat Nite, Daisy. Would've been Toon and some more info on Peach but i fell asleep while typing T-T
June 30th, 2008- Took down the matchup section in lieu of the matchup topic. I archived it to my computer, however, for later. I think I have information to add to the body of the guide, but.... uhh.... I'll put it in when I remember it. >,>
July 4th, 2008- Added Preparations section and information. Switched up introductory pictures.
July 5th, 2008- Added pictures in the moveset section, courtesy of djbrowny. Kept the Preparation section green. Using the tags is now recommended to get to the section you want, as the Moveset section is now stretched out.
July 22nd, 2008- Rotated introductory pictures, added a section devoted to Aura Sphere. The tag is (AURAORB). Took out the reiteration in the Managing Your Aura section and renamed it, added two new combos, added a prep, and noted percentages on the movelist section.
August 19th, 2008- Rotated introductory pictures, created a section devoted to Lucario's grab game. The tag is (TOUCH). It has also has a... um... visual aid. Added a preparation.
September 29th, 2008- Just rotated the pictures.
December 22nd, 2008- Rotated the pictures, Redid most sections, didn't think the green highlight was necessary for this update; just take a gander and re-read the entire guide.
December 26th, 2008 - Put in Kitten's Luca Misconceptions topic.
January 14th, 2009- The new List of Links topic was created. It has been guide'd.
January 26th, 2009- I snuck something in here. Enjoy it when you find it. =D
April 23rd, 2009- New Lucario Lucks. TRUE STORIES

So here's the obligatory introduction pictures. I found them. =3 Tried to find uncommon pictures. Kinda tired of looking at the same ones. Credit to whoever actually drew them.

Okay, so here's the Table of Contents. The Thread Title will change each time a section's information is modified. The modified information will be in green. If you wish to zoom to a particular section, use your browser's Find feature, by pressing Ctrl+F and searching for the tag, parentheses included.

---------------------------
Where Everything Is
---------------------------

Why Lucario? (WL)
Shameless Plugs (PLUG)
Perks and Faults (P&F)
Running Gags (LAWL)
Lucario's Moveset (LM)
Number Crunches (NC)
Play-style Breakdown (PSB)
Approaches (APP)
Combinations (COMBO)
Aura Sphere (AURAORB)
Grab Range (TOUCH)
Wallclinging (CLING)
Tricks (KIDS)
B-Sticking (BSTICK)
Preparations (PREP)
Closing (END)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Begin.

Why Would Someone Want To Play As Lucario?(WL)

Well... Lucario is an appealing guy. The Lucario community as a whole is generally pretty chill and laid-back, so that's one reason one might want to main Luca; Just to be a part of the loving , albeit whacky, community. Everyone around here cares for one another and is very warm and friendly to new players and eager to help each person out as an individual. Lucario is also very well rounded as a character, having balanced matchups against the entire cast and requiring true skill, knowledge, and mastery to prevail. Lucario is a character that you can feel accomplished with when you reach professional status and have a few tournaments underneath your paw. There are also some people (like me) that feel like they get more tenacious when it appears that hope is nearly lost and seek a character or playstyle that they can reflect themselves in. Lucario caters to that magnificently with his Aura, growing in power as he takes on more percentage and can even turn an entire match around that would have been utterly hopeless with any other character in the game. Lucario has many lasting and far-reaching attacks that allow the abuse of a few of the game's mechanics, as well. Riolu's evolution is also able to perform well under many different styles of play so he can cater to a wide range of people and even use this to throw the opponent's patterns off mid-match. All in all, Lucario is a fantastic character of high caliber, and a wonderful choice for a main. If you decide on him, then, by all means, welcome to Lucario.
http://smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=4471334&postcount=1
For specific reasons by Tallen.

Links, Topics, Videos, Go Heres(PLUG)
This takes you right back here!
This is all the of the Inner Fire Instructional and Training videos compiled in order in a youtube playlist. They're a little outdated, so take everything with a grain of salt, but they're great for basics and review.
This is a topic where you can discuss all of my Inner Fire videos.
Ph1lny3's General Playstyle Topic
Information on how to join the Lucario IRC chat, our headquarters.
Ted2k's Topic About Move Strategics
The Current Video Compilation Topic
A Promisingly Accurate Frame Data Project
Common Lies, Half-Truths and Misunderstandings about Lucario

And after all that, this is your portal to all other high volume topics. http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=216177

So What's Good About Him?(P&F)
Suited for most styles of play
Aura Ability
If you're behind in stock or points, you get an Extra Aura stacking modifier
Great, circular, lingering, disjointed hitboxes
Decent range on all of his attacks.
Is the only character that can put Wall Cling to good use
Fantastic Aerial attacks
Has a counter that KOs reliably
Can KO easily with a throw
Is one of the only characters that have true combos
Speaking of combos, he's also one of the only ones that can combo out of throws
Above Average Horizontal Launch Resistance (13th)
Can control the stage with a single irritating projectile
Can't be infinited by King DeDeDe without the aid of a fixture.
Both B-sticking and Pseudo-Sticking is useful
Most of us are pretty easy-going. =o
Ridiculous Ledgesnap Sweetspot range
DarkDragoon]Aura is basically Blue Flames said:
...And the bad?[/SIZE]

Average Vertical Launch Resistance(16th)
ExtremeSpeed deals no damage
Small Grab Range
Smashes have a large startup
Force Palm won't grab if you're too close
Force Palm's flame counts as an energy projectile
Can be chain grabbed by DeDeDe
His crawl is nearly useless
Can't Wall Cling to certain ledges.
If you're above your opponents in stock/points, you receive a small debuff to your attacks.

This topic: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=164159 talks more about these flaws and how to overcome them.

Stuff We Came Up With To Keep Ourselves Entertained(LAWL)

So we got bored. Sue us.

You see... Lucario is not just a pokemon. He was built by MacGyver in space, along with Bill Nye the SCIENCE! Guy. Lucario's paw spikes and chest spikes house fusion combustion engines that generate not only the blue fire, but also many other things like houses and doors. Lucario can also toast your bread as you slice it, cut junk, throw SWEET RAVE PARTIES, personal anti-hug system, and can opener. ph1lny3 has recently concluded that Bill Nye engineered Lucario to where if you main the character, all LCD televisions you own at the time of Main Declaration lose at least 5 frames of input delay.

Through new, breakthrough research, we have discovered that Lucario's fusion combustion engine spikes put out exactly 1.21 gigawatts, which lead us to believe that Doctor Emmett Brown also had a hand in creation the magnificent entity known as Lucario. Of course if Doc Brown helped think of Lucario, one can only ponder if Lucario has time manipulation prowess. Then again, there have been rumors of one Lucario transporting through time, which is yet unconfirmed.

Lucario's Forward Smash stays out for exactly twelve seconds when executed.
Lucario's Up Smash lasts extremely long, however, due to the massive amount of development undergone in creation, Lucario has a telepathic link with his true main. If you, while performing the command for an Up Smash, also grunt out exactly as Lucario does and thrust your hand up in the air, the hitbox will REMAIN ON THAT SPOT, invisible, for the rest of the match on that map. As you can see in this Melee video, Fox uses his Scouter to see the invisible Lucario place the Usmash and gtfo's the way while Ganondorf foolishly dodges straight into it. The fact that this is melee only further provides evidence that Lucario can travel in time thanks to Doc Brown.

Other known anomalies in Lucario's existence reaches to the player as well. It is theorized that when a player wins a tournament and immediately performs the Lucario Wash either at the GAME SET! screen or when receiving his/her prize money, this combination of events will cause a very large explosion of Concentrated Awesome. The properties of this "Awesome Explosion" are unknown and as of yet, we do not know if this will actually even cause damage. It is suggested to not chance it under the threat of creating a large Awesome Crater in your region.

Additionally, there have been numerous counts and witnesses of Lucario Mains getting special treatment or having particularly fortunate events descend upon them. Common occurences include but are not limited to: Winning the lottery, getting out of police trouble, people giving you presents, People wanting to argue and/or yell at you but never do. Below is a list of occurences for posterity and proof, but due to the possibility of the nature of some of these, the player will not be directly named in this list. These instances have been dubbed "Lucario Luck" And if you have a moment of such, we request that you give your input.

1. Police Officer pulls a Lucario main over to simply turn his headlights on and wishes him a good evening.
2. Lucaro main is paid handsomely for doing a menial task.
3. Lucario main finds that his money has seemingly duplicated itself.
4. Police officer starts off after a Lucario main for speeding. Police officer instead pulls over another car for Following Too Closely, clearly an act of chivalry from the other car.
5. Having the power to do what you could not do before.
6. Free Fries from DEHF and free soda from Joejango
7. Free 3/4's of Delicious Crepes from reporters then bam, your name's in the paper.
8. Find money on the ground in doorways at lunch!
9. Winning matches in pokemon lottery scratch card games!

XD As more gags are remembered/created, tehy'll be posted for posterity.

Show Me Your Moveset!(LM)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In the form of-

Attack: The name of the attack
Range: It's relative range according to Short, Mid, or Long. Short being a Mario jab punch, Mid being a Marth bair, and Long being a DeDeDe ftilt
Approximate Percent: All percent is approximate I'll give a Fresh maximum and a Decay minimum at the stated Luca percentages
Knockback: I'll try to describe it as best I can. =o This will also be my notes.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1. A>A>A

Range: Short
AP
0%- 2>1>7 max, 2>1>3 min
170%- 14% max, 7% min
Knockback: The first two hits have almost no knockback, whereas the last kick will send them at a 75 degree angle away from you. You should really only use the last hit if you aren't spaced properly for a Force Palm Grab or are on the edge. The first and last hit strike behind, with the kick having a better reverse range than the first, which requires the opponent to be almost ON you. Another thing, The kick, will nick people from a little farther than it actually looks like it'd hit.

2. Forward-Tilt

Range: Mid-Short
AP
0%- Hits twice for 5% each max, twice for 2% each min
167%- 18.1% max, 9% min
Knockback: Sends them horizontally at low percentages and angles up to 45 degrees as percentages rise. Can be used to set up follow ups and shield pressure. Can be directed up, down, or forward

3. Down-Tilt

Range: Short-Mid
AP
0%- 5% max, 2% min
166%- 9.8% max, 4.8% min
Knockback: Pops them up at a 60 degree angle away from you. Will never cause your opponent to trip like other dtilts. =\ However, at low percentages it pops them up enabling followups.

4. Up-Tilt

AP
0%- 4% max, 1.5% min
170%- 8.4% max, 4.2% min
Knockback: If you nail them with the aura only, they are popped up much further up. Its sweetspot has no effect on its percentage, but does on its knockback. Unsweetspotted it has poor knockback, enabling utilt spam. Hits behind you first, then above you, then in front of you

5. Forward Smash

Range: Long
AP
0%- 10% max to 5% min Tipped, 8% to 3% Untipped
165%- 22.3% max, 11.15% min
Knockback: Sends them flying at a 45 degree angle away from you. Hitting with just the aura makes it much more powerful in both knockback and percent. Space it. Lingers as long as Luc is in that "Push" animation.

6. Down Smash

Range: Mid-Short
AP
0%- 9% max, 4% min
169%- 19.6% max, 9.8% min
Knockback: Launches them at a 40 degree angle away from you. Hits on both sides, so it's great if you're unsure. Comes out a few frames faster than Fsmash. As long as the blasts on his paws are there, there is a hitbox.

7. Up Smash

Range: Mid
AP
0%- 8% max, 4% min
167%- 18.1% max, 9% min
Knockback: Straight. Up. Has a quirky hitbox that hits farther behind you than in front. Also lingers for a very long time.

8. Dash Attack

AP
0%- 10% max, 5% min. Minus 2% for hitting at the end.
Knockback: Will almost always send them 100 degrees, which is behind you. Hitting at the end of the animation will yield a different knockback, placing them directly behind you, in which case you can utilt.

9. Neutral-Air

AP
0%- 8%/4%max, 4%/2%min. Number on the right of the slash designates the 2nd spin
169%- 15.4% max, 7.7% min
Knockback: Sends them 30-ish degrees away with the knockback deteriorating for the second spin. Hits on both sides of you

10. Forward-Air

Range: Looks Short, but is Short-Mid =3
AP
0%- 4%max, 2% min
170%- 7% max, 3.5% min
Knockback: Has almost none. Doesn't really send them anywhere until higher percents, in which case it's a 35-ish degree angle. This move is so beautiful. Combos into and out of itself and into everything. Awesome multi-purpose. Hits everywhere but above yourself.

11. Down-Air

AP
0%- Two hits for 5% and 6% max, 3% and 3% min
168%- 22.3% max, 11.15% min
Knockback: Will send them anywhere except for downward based on where you hit them according to the circles you stomp out. It also seems to the be attack LEAST affected by diminishing returns. Why is this such a great move? =o

12. Back-Air

AP
0%- 9% max, 4% min
168%- 16.8% max, 8.4% min
Knockback: This one is interesting. It seems that if you just do the move normally, it makes them fly at a 60 degree angle from you, but if you hit while fast falling it the trajectory changes to something much more horizontal. O,o Peculiar and worth looking into. Beast hitbox, too.

13. Up-Air

Range: Mid-Long
AP
0%- 6% max, 3%min
170%- 14% max, 7% min
Knockback: Directs your enemy straight into the sky. Great for Star KOs. About the hitbox? That Aura burst AND his entire body is one, even his tail. Enjoy.

14: Aura Sphere Charge(neutral b)

Range: ShortShort
AP
0%- 0.5% per tick
Knockback: Usually sends your opponent upwards, plus their DI direction. AND YES, IT GETS ITS OWN SLOT. >OOOOOO Shares Diminishings with Aura Sphere, but also clears them for other moves quickly, due to the speed of the ticks.

15. Aura Sphere(neutral Bx2)

Range: Very Long
AP
0%- Uncharged: 5% max 2.5% min|Charged: 13%max, 6% min
170% Uncharged: 10.5% max, 5.25% min
167% Charged: 26.3% max, 13.1% min
Knockback: 45-degree angle of delicious. Will travel just under the full length of Final Destination. Stops at the second arrow on the opposite side fired.

16. Force Palm Grab(Side B up close)

AP
0%- 7% to 4%
167%- 18.1% max, 9% min
Knockback: 70-degree angle. Shares Diminishings with Force Palm Flame

17. Force Palm Flame(Side B)

Range: Long
AP
0%- Bulk: 7% to 3%|Tip: 5% to 3%
164%- 12.4% max, 6.2% min
Knockback: Sends them pretty horizontally, actually. About 45 degrees, a little less. The tip of it is known to trip the victim fairly reliably at sub-70 percentages.

18. Double Team(down b)

Range: Can Counter from infinite, but the attack is Mid
AP
0%- 7% to 3%
169%- 15.4% max, 7.7% min
Knockback: Completely ignorant of whatever attack is used to trigger the counter, it deals a set amount of damage and knockback. Launches them 80 degrees upwards. A fresh one will KO at reliable percents, noted in a handy chart here:
Note: Keep in mind that an opponents DI and other factors like ceiling height may effect these numbers. Double Team tested at the center of Final Destination.

And the original thread that spawned that chart is here: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=154555

19. ExtremeSpeed (UpB)

Rang--er... wait.. >,>

20. Jabpunch/Pummel/Grabpunch(Press attack while holding the opponent)

Range: Grab
AP
0%- 0.5% to ???
170%- 1.4% max to 0.7% min
Knockback: None to speak of, but great for clearing your move decay.

21. Forward Throw

AP
0%- 7% to 3%
170%-14% to 7%
Knockback: Pretty nice, also receives the great boost from Aura. Sends them 45 degrees away, then the knockback actually tapers off to a more horizontal sending, which is why it's good for KO-ing with.

22. Back Throw

AP
0%- 10% to 5%
Knockback: Also nice. Sends them a few degrees less than Fthrow, but doesn't receive a boost from Aura, relying solely on your opponent's percentage and DI skills.

23. Down Throw

AP
0%- 10% to 4%
Knockback: Their DI reaaalllly affects this one. They can go anywhere, even straight up. Will not scale with Aura.

24. Up Throw

AP
0%- 4% to 2%
168%- 8% to 4%
Knockback: Hits them upward and they can't really change it. Barely sends them anywhere, though, enabling combos and followups and traps. Lucario is also a badass when he performs this move. This move does get a bonus based on your percentage.

25. Ledge Attack <100%

26. Ledge Attack >100%

Jeepy Sol]Attack Ranges (shortest to longest horizontally) Ground-based: 1) Up-Smash 2)Grab 3)Up-Tilt 4)D-Smash 5)A 6)D-Tilt 7)F-Tilt 8)Force Palm (side B) 9)F-Smash 10)Aura Sphere 1)U-air 2)D-Air 3)N-air 4)F-Air 5)B-Air [/QUOTE] [SIZE="4 said:
How To Manage Your Modifier[/SIZE](NC)

Rebonack graciously tested this thoroughly for us. You are encouraged to provide your own data for theory-backup or to disprove him.

Extra Aura Multipliers
-At no stock difference the minimum and maximum total aura boost (TAB) is x1 and x2, respectively.
-At a one stock disadvantage the minimum and maximum TAB is x1.2 and x2.4, respectively.
-At a two stock disadvantage the minimum and maximum TAB is x1.4 and x2.7, respectively.
-At a one stock advantage the minimum and maximum TAB is x0.9 and x1.8, respectively.
-At a two stock advantage the minimum and maximum TAB is x0.8 and x1.7, respectively.

Aura Multiplier Damage Cap
(A,A,A) 7%-14%, 170% cap.
(Ftilt) 9%-18.1%, 167% cap.
(Dtilt) 4.8%-9.8%, 166% cap.
(Utilt) 4.2%-8.4%, 170% cap.
(DSmash) 9.8%-19.6%, 169% cap.
(FSmash) 11.15%-22.3%, 165% cap.
(USmash) 9%-18.1%, 167% cap.
(Fthrow) 7%-14%, 170% cap.
(Uthrow) 4.2%-8.4%, 168% cap.
(grapple) 0.7%-1.4%, 170% cap.
(Nair) 7.7%-15.4%, 169% cap.
(Dair) 11.15%-22.3%, 168% cap.
(Bair) 8.4%-16.8%, 168% cap.
(Fair) 3.5%-7%, 170% cap.
(Uair) 7%-14%, 170% cap.
Lil' Aura Sphere 5.25%-10.5%, 170% cap.
Aura Sphere 13.1%-26.3%, 167% cap.
Force Palm Flame 6.2%-12.4%, 164% cap.
Force Palm Grab 9%-18.1%, 167% cap.
Double Team 7.7%-15.4%, 169% cap.

That comes out to an average of 168% as the cap. Though nothing goes above 170% in terms of where its cap is. So just saying that the cap is 170 would probably be the safest, most accurate bet.

Versatility, Variety, and You (PSB)

It was mentioned earlier that Lucario, so far, has no "best" way to play him and can perform in many situations. To reiterate, this means that each Lucario that you meet or play against is potentially different. Ph1lny3 is currently heading a SCIENCE! -y topic about general playstyles. If you'd like to look over it or join in the discussion, it is here.

Mess around with your Lucario. Try out new things every week for a change of pace and keep it fresh. I encourage you to even mess around with other characters and see how your Lucario style may have helped your secondary's game, or how maybe you can incorporate something you do with another character with Lucario, be it a spacing trick, a lure, or what have you. Lucario is limitless with the amount of options that are available. Find new things! Don't let your game stagnate because you find something that works against the people in your area. Onwards and upwards is the only way to go. Encourage your local competition to get better and find out new ways to play THEIR character, so that you can better not only yourself, but your competition, which in turn propels you even further upwards. Before you know it, you'll have grand battles and you'll have a happy tournament crew to travel with you. I have only the highest praise for all my Lucario players and expect great things out of each of you. You need only try.

Snake Codec! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9bJ52jZU4M

How To Get Up In Their Grill And Cook Their Burgers With Your Blue Fire(APP)

Here, i'll give basic examples and basic recommended courses of action. These are only suggestions. Find your style.

Versus an opponent running up to you

If you're already charging an Aura Sphere and attempt to throw it at them, your opponent will do one of two things: Attack you or shield right in front of you. If they try to attack, you get the free sphere on them. If they shield, then you have a problem. Try cancelling the charge and do a retreating Fair or run up and grab/FPGrab.

Fsmash, then Jab within the IASA frames.

If you see them short hop, roll away or shield > OOS Options. I wouldn't recommend on meeting them in the air. You may also walk back a bit and fsmash their landing. Angling an ftilt upwards works well, too. Use that.

Full jump + Air Dodge straight up. Dair stall on the way down and decide where to go from there, you have a midair jump if you need to use it.

If you're close to the edge, ExtremeHog it early or run to it + QCBhug and go to ledge games.

Depending if you're opponent has disjointeds or not and on your Aura Sphere size, turn around and charge one. They might run into it if they were trying to grab.

Put up a wall of hitboxes with Bair, Fair, Nair, Aura Sphere.

Versus an opponent in the air

If you want to stay far away from them, you can line up an Aura Sphere or walk and fsmash their landing.

If you want to go on the offensive you can leap up at them and:

Bair has a ginormous and lasting hitbox.
Fair if you hit them with an Fair a half-second ago.
Uair is a useful setup. If they get hit, great. If they dodge it, follow them and have a free dair and a sip of Coca~Cola.

Versus an opponent on the ground/A campy opponent

You have many, many options here:

Baby Aura Sphere- Launching uncharged Aura Spheres to make them do something you want to do which is either shield or jump.
Aura Sphere Charge- So let them stay there. You'll just charge your Aura Sphere and save it for later to nail them with.

Force Palm- Run up and do a Force Palm at near-max Flame range. You'll brake on a dime and they'll whiff if they attacked or be vulnerable if they spotdodged or rolled towards you and receive a blast of energy to the face.

Calmly walk up to them and start Ftilting. Ftilt has a large hitbox and has IASA frames, allowing you spam it semi-effectively to get into range for your other moves. Ftilt also can combo into itself and other moves at lower percentages on hit.

Dash up and Short Hop an Fair into the followup of your choice. If you don't link something to the fair, they'll retaliate with an attack if you hit them, or with a shieldgrab if they blocked. Suggested basic options for ShFair are Nair and Dair if you hit with the Fair. If you missed or got blocked, back off or continue through them and Bair behind you or Aura Charge on their shield. On shield, if you dair, you may get lucky and the second hit of Dair will hit them through their shield if they drop it or have a used-up shield already. Pay attention.

Although dangerous, you can also RAR Fairs and rely on the backwards hitbox.

Empty Hop into Grab or Force Palm Grab

Stringing Your Attacks Together(COMBO)

Lucario is a character that has attacks that change in knockback and percentage dealt dynamically as he receives more damage in combat. Having this knowledge and knowing where each of your attacks send the opponent at which Lucario percentages and which opponent percentages based on approximate weight enables you to easily link your attacks together in a seemingly inescapable barrage of blue flames. This frustrates your opponent and lowers their morale the longer and more often you can keep your Lucario Combos going which, in turn, moves the match in your favor. I recommend taking a couple hours into training mode or practicing with a friend and not really trying to win, but more as a steady of where your attacks send them and what you can possibly throw out after it.

I also recommend a form of training that involves the removal of one of your options. I'll explain. Say you really enjoy your Fair and use it very often. Luca's Fair isn't THAT phenomenal of an attack, although it is very good. By using it all the time, you blind yourself to other potential, perhaps more effective options that are available to you. Try playing a few matches (or a long match) without the use of your most commonly used A-button move (usually Fair, dair, or Fsmash) and explore your other options. This enables a sort of enlightenment and will, in the long run, better your game and allow you to become unblinded to where you previously only saw Fair as a possible option. Try it out at least once and see if it helps.

Jab cancelling is another way of getting in one or two more cheap attacks in there. Jab Cancelling is pressing down quickly after one or two jabs to cancel out the rest of the move so that you may quickly go into something else. This makes AA>mixups a lot more viable instead of simply waiting for the animation to go through. Sometimes those few frames make all the difference between connecting and missing an attack. Although our Blue Guy's jab is slower than most (6 frames), it's still useful due to its projected aura and ability for linkage. Consider it another track and combo filler.

General Video of Jab Cancelling.

Here are some staple Lucario combos and/or strings. For a slightly out of date video, check out Inner Fire 5.

A>A>Force Palm Grab - Yes, it's escapable, who cares. It still works, especially on the riff raff you fight in the lower brackets.
A>A>Grab/Dash Grab - Safer alternative.
Fair > Nair/Dair - Your standard Ender.
Utilt > ... - Utilt can lead into a few things. Grabs, another utilt, what have you.
Uthrow > Aerial/Double Team - Uthrow is great for forcing a pattern out of your opponent. If you can get an uair or utilt/usmash out before they hit you, then great. If they outprioritize your (Say... a Key...) aerial, then condition them with this. Voila, you have a free double team KO whenever you need it.
Uair > Dair - If they dodge the Uair, you get a free dair and an Aura Charge.

All About Aura Sphere(AURAORB)

Aura Sphere is probably Lucario's most useful and utilized move. I'll go ahead and say Lucario revolves around Aura Sphere. A good Lucario knows everything about it and incorporates all applications into his game as he wants to.

First, let's talk about managing your charge. Lucario does not add charge to a Sphere until his paws are behind him. When his paws are behind him it takes exactly (read:Approximately) One and a Half seconds (1.5) to achieve a full charge. It also makes a distinct "vwum" sound four times and where the fifth one would be is when you achieve full charge. Listen to sound 70 if you require a sound byte. You may stop charging at this fourth "vwum" and get what I will call Nearly Full. Full Charge also makes a distinct sound (Sound Test Lucario 49) and Nearly Full makes the same sound.

Aura Spheres, depending on your percent, range from being as small as Lucario's paw, to as large as Lucario himself, including the tail.

Moving on to using the Charge as a useful tool.

Aura Charge is useful. Deal with it. Don't use it if you're too scared, but I use it and I get great results. I think you guys should, too.
Firstly, While it is out, it is a constant hitbox. It will nullify any non-disjointed dash attacks (Fox/Falco/Wario/Sheik, etc) as long as they don't have ridiculous priority(GANONBAAAAAAAAAAAAN). It is also a great deterrent versus grabs. If you're expecting a grab that you don't have time to get away from, turn around and put that sphere out. It's kinda like saying "Talk to the hand." =D However, There is a stipulation. Vs. a small sphere, Ice Climbers can still grab you somehow by having one climber eat a tick and the other grabbing you and even vs. a big Sphere there's a certain spot that Metaknight and Dedede can stand and they'll still yoink you. You don't have to worry about that, though because it's a very small spot.

Aura Charge is also fantastic to use after a shielded SHFair or even jumping straight into it. You'll drop right onto their shield and charge it right in them and omnomnomnom their shield extremely quickly. If they don't drop it, you'll break it if it was small or they'll get pushed out of it if they had a full one. If they try to do absolutely ANYTHING directly out of their shield while the sphere is on them, be it roll, spotdodge, grab, attack, or jump, they will get hit by the charging sphere and take at least three ticks. This puts you into a favorable position and gives you control of what happens next. You should always be able to follow something up after a successful Aura Charge, especially if they DI to your front. If they get pushed out, I recommend that you roll away or cancel into a Double Team. Each tick of damage counts as one slot in the move queue for diminishing returns. Clear as much as you can to enable your other moves to be perfectly fresh if you're having trouble landing something with some might to it. Aura Charge is invaluable against Dedede and Ice Climber players.

Aura Sphere KOs. Easily. If you get your opponent off the edge and you don't have another plan, fire an Aura Sphere, no matter how big, no matter who it is. If they have a reflector or an absorber, expect them to reflect it and do what you need to do to get out of the way. After that, or if they didn't/couldn't reflect it, pursue them and dair or fair the loser for your instawin.

Keeping a sphere at Nearly Full is also a fantastic mind game. The opponent may watch you charge it, but if you cancel it just before it gets full, you don't blink WITH PHENOMENAAAALL COSMIC POWAAAAAHH and you just stow it. Eventually, they'll forget about it if not immediately and when they least expect it you whip out a sphere as big as yourself and place it into their face and then they cry like a little girly baby. Firing a Nearly Full sphere awards you almost the same percentage dealt and almost the same knockback with the option of charging it for an eighth of a second to become full and fire your moneymaker. Nearly Full also gives you the added bonus over having a fully charged of being able to charge it on their shield should you need to before firing it. I suggest you begin using Nearly Full Spheres as much as you can.

One additional, minor, mindgame is that you can shield right after you press B to pull out a non-fully charged sphere and you will not add any charge to it. Using this in conjunction to having a Nearly Full sphere, you can fake out your opponent that you're firing it and then doing something else that's crazy... like grabbing them.

And that's all the extra stuff you need to know about Aura Sphere.

All About Putting Your Hands On People(TOUCH)

To begin, I'd like to note Lucario has three grabs; Standing Grab, Dash Grab, and Force Palm Grab. He also does not have any invisible horizontal connection areas on any of these, meaning you will have to physically touch them with your paws to grapple and start shoving your aura into them. However, Lucario does seem to have the uncanny ability to rip people out of the air who are diagonal to him, or even directly above him. Have a picture.

I made it, myself. As you can see, Lucario like... grabs people above him with his ears, and for the diagonals, he lets out a tractor beam.

Lucario's out of shield/out of Aura Sphere grab is F-A-S-T FAST. Grab Yoshi out of bair or right after it ends and before he can do his no lag jab fast. This means you guys need more Shield grabs.

"But Lucario has stupid short grab range!"

Okay. Let's go somewhere else with it, then. Force Palm Grab! Much better chances to feel people. Sure it's a riskier, move, but Lucario is risk. You can look at the Flame as a (unreliable) safety mechanism if you miss, but at least it's there. Marths beleaguering you with fairs? Pull him down with Force Palm Grab after a whiffed or blocked fair. You guys almost never use it outside of chains so it'll be fresh when you go to use it. That's 9% on the grab alone... if you're at 0%! Then followups! Force Palm Grab also KOs. Check the numbers. Work it in. Watch Inner Fire 11. Practice it a bit. Use it. You have so many tricks as a Lucario, now.

I feel like i'm missing something. I might add more in the future.

Edgehogging Is So Eight Years Ago(CLING)

So you're Lucario and you got knocked off the stage. Okay. So you go back and recover. Try to sweetspot the ledge as normal.

WUT

EDGEHOGGED?

BS. REDO!!!

Don't let this happen to you!

Most stages have some sort of structure that Lucario can grab a hold of, even when the opponent is hanging from the ledge.
Bridge of Eldin - when the bridge is broken
Castle Siege - first stage, all of the right side and under the lip of the left side
Delfino Plaza - the pool, the edges of the island (though useless)
Distant Planet - flat wall where the water falls
Final Destination - tricky, but edges slightly below the lip.
Frigate Orpheon - the edges, expesially the one characters cant grab
Green Hill Zone - when the stage breaks, the hole
Mushroomy Kingdom - anything flat: pipes, bricks, holes ect
New Pork City - I honestly havent tried everywhere in this place but any flat wall will do it
PictoChat - sides and some drawings
Pirate Ship - when the ship hits a rock
Port Town Aero Dive - round thing in one of the locations
Rumble Falls - flat blocks
Shadow Moses Island - the walls
Summit - flat wall on left
WarioWare - edges
Yoshi's Island - edges
Corneria - right edge and back of the tailfin
Green Greens - holes and left/right edges
Onett - houses
Pokémon Stadium - under the lip there's a flat wall, can also wall jump from the part below it
Rainbow Cruise - flat blocks and the back of the ship
Temple - round thing at the bottom
Yoshi's Island - left side and center hole + the bricks

All you have to do is come at it somewhat horizontally. If you're at a bad angle that you can't accomplish this, THAT'S NOT AN EXCUSE! ExtremeSpeed can curve in any direction, enabling you to stick to walls even if you're completely parallel and next to them. Simply curve it out and then back in. View Inner Fire 3 for comprehensive instructions on how to accomplish this.

Once you're on that wall, you have approximately three seconds to watch, think, and plan what you want to do. You can literally use it as a time out button.

Lucario IRC] Ok. I just took 3 sessions of 10 times of Lucario's wall cling with a stop watch. I then got an average out of them. Session I Average: 3.326 secs. Session II Average: 3.460 secs. Session III Average: 3.379 secs. Overall Average of Lucario's Wall Cling: 3.390 seconds Again said:
Do Something Crazy. Crazy Like a FOX[/SIZE](KIDS)

Double Team intentionally to gain distance. Up against someone that likes to spam projectiles and you can't get in close? Turn away from them and wait for one to hit you and Double Team the thing. Your sneaky, sneaky tactic will cause you to slide towards them with invincibility frames and can then attack them immediately out of it and most of the time they'll be a little startled at what to do and won't know if you'll hit them or not and will instinctively shield, setting up an easy grab.
You don't necessarily need to be facing the opposite direction.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=JtTrTZZVA-M
Dair while jumping up to platforms to get on the platform faster. If you full jump or double jump to get on platforms, you'll have to wait or fast fall down. Dair cuts your momentum to let you get on that platform much faster so you can jump again and chase with much greater height.

Turnaround Sphere. Is your opponent persistently chasing you down in the air while you're trying to get into a better position to launch your next assault? Tch. Halt them with a quick flick of the control stick in the opposite direction you're facing (at them), let it fall back to neutral, and tap B (twice if you don't have a fully charged sphere) and you'll launch an Aura Sphere straight at their head. They'll either see it and shield in time or they'll get hit, buying you a precious half second to set something up.

Your short hop is high and Lucario is floaty. This is actually pretty good. You can do two attacks during it, usually, and it puts you halfway through most platforms in the stages. What this means is that you can be much more aggressive than other people because of your fantabulous aerials. Short hop below platforms and use Nair or Fair, then fast fall back down to pressure your opponent and keep the fear of "I'M ALWAYS HERE." in their mind. Don't utilt or usmash. That's boring and ineffective. On higher platforms, use Uair and wait a tick before you fastfall so that you don't get the landing lag.

Momentum is fun. Turning it into a useful tool is fun, too. B-sticking or Psuedo-Sticking(BReversal) enables this. With it, you can SH a Force Palm and fake them out with it and bounce back while still being in Flame range. Another sweet deal is with Aura Sphere. You can do sooooo much with Aura Sphere. Jump away then all of a sudden spring back into their face with it charging on them. Jump from the ledge and charge it backwards and get on the stage.. so many uses. Explore B-Sticking. Give it a try, at least.

Use Force Palm Flame to gimp if they're too far and you don't want to Aura Sphere. It's excellent when you calculate where they are. Only go for it if they're at edge level or above or you might not be able to get back up, especially if you whiff. This is useful if you can't quite get a fair or bair off and don't have a Sphere charged. It also might mess up with spot dodges since you're beginning your attack a little earlier. Also for giggles and demoralizing the opponent. It counts as an energy projectile it'll demand priority over anyone else's recovery or aerials, especially since it's ranged. Try it. I'm not saying use it as your only gimp, but keep it in mind as something to try.

Lucario's crawl is no longer useless. After some better testing, it will dodge the following:
Pit's straight Arrow
Samus' Super Missile
Rob's Laser
Diddy Peanuts until they're fully charged
Diddy Hump
Meta Knight Fair and Bair Lawlalwalwlawlalwalwalwl if they're not fast falled.
Space Animal Bair
Lucas SHPKFire Hawhawhawhaw
Use this as you see fit. I personally like Ducking under Samus' Super Missile the most.

Like your aerials way too much? So you're an Skyhopper Lucario? That's fine. There's a way you can cheat the mechanics of jumping use another midair jump so you can create a fantastic flow. The trick is to make your aerial begin a certain height above the ground so that it travels through its animation for an amount of time. Fair you need to do it about two Lucarios up, Bair do it JUST as you reach the peak of... here. Jeepy made a video that shows what I'm trying to explain. Enjoy. http://youtube.com/watch?v=Cb8nhIEvCqU Keep in mind that you don't have to start it from the ground. You can be trying juggle losers in the air after you toss 'em and whip out an Fair or something at the right time and get right back up in the air and potentially escape any sort of retaliation or even keep up the pressure!

ExtremeAwesome: This technique is available on any stage with a hard platform above you. Luigi's Mansion springs to mind. Simply angle your ExtremeSpeed so that you will ricochet off of the cieling at the desired angle and you will land without any lag and can perform any attack or maneuver immediately. Bam. ExtremeAwesome.

Charge Cancelling: This is a nifty trick and it's simple. Just press shield while charging. It stops you. That, in itself, is not a technique. The technique is utilizing the trickiness and options that you can go to out of looking like you're about to fire a scary projectile. Works wonders against characters that have a reflector or absorber, especially off stage.

Momentum Sickness(BSTICK)

Something you may find useful for placing Aura Spheres and Charges. B-Sticking and Psuedo-Sticking are essentially the same thing, except Psuedo-Sticking lets you have your C-Stick to something other than specials. All you need are fast fingers. The enemy will never expect a sudden blast to the face with a huge momentum change. This technique is especially useful against grabby characters (Dedede, Ice Climbers) or people that shield your approaches. It enables you to back off after a whiffed attack, or get in closer for a surprise smack. Play around with it a little and see if it's something you think you'd use. You can even use it after a poke. ShFair, back off, then Psuedo-stick an Aura Charge into them. Useful, recommended.

Also view Inner fire 7 for a visual run-down of B-Sticking and Psuedo-Sticking. I may do a new, updated video soon.

What Should I Practice?(PREP)

"Alright, Milly. Thanks for the tips. I think I can take on a tournament and win it for Lucario, but what should I do to better myself when my training partners aren't around or when I have a sleepless night?"

Well, Mr. Quotes, that's a very good question. The obvious answer will be to work on what you think you need work on, be it a certain combination, or upsmash dashcancelling, or what have you. However, there are key elements of Lucario that I (and most of the board) feel that you should be able to perform with 95% efficiency on the spot. The following is what is recommended and why:

1. WALL CLINGING(Hanging/Chilling/Bro-in') and ExtremeSpeed - Do I even need to explain this? Vital. Go to every stage that has a catchable wall and practice getting to it from all angles. Even set yourself as the dummy at certain percentages and blast yourself off the stage and practice wall clinging to recover. Take risks. It's training. Go from weird angles...the curve cling from under Final Destination, for example. You Never Know When You Must Perform It. However, you'll be very glad you can when you need it. Learn to spot when you should go for the wall or if you should curve up on top of the stage. For Curving, go to Battlefield and just practice. Make little challenges for yourself. Here's an example. Curve onto the platforms or recover from offstage WITHOUT snapping to the ledge with no one on the ledge.

2. Practice your SHFair mixups. This is SHFair to NairFF, Dair, FF Grab/FF FPGrab, Bair, and Aura Charge. All of these are fantastic and serve specific purposes. NairFF for keeping the combo going, Dair for getting your opponent away allowing you to set up for the next approach, FFGrab/FF FPGrab for if they shielded the Fair, Bair for keeping momentum and being tricky, and Aura Charge for shield pressure. Be able to calculate the best option the moment you strike or are blocked with your Fair. Please don't Nair or Dair if you're blocked.

3. Feel your Aura. Set yourself to the Training Dummy and put it on Control. Get a feel for fighting at all percentiles. Learn how your rising percentage changes your attacks and how quickly everything adds up. It's key to fighting effectively. Don't know your move properties = Don't know your character = First Round out of the tourny.

4. Practice Aura Sphere. Aura Sphere is my favorite move. It should be yours, too. You can do so much from it and with it. Learn SHFair to Aura Charge or empty hop to Aura Charge. Learn the many ways you can cancel it. Practice Turnaround Sphere (Going one way, then turning around and firing the sphere while still going the first direction)

5. Ledge Games. Practice ledgehopping and when you should do a ledgehop attack instead of you under100% ledgeattack. Practice Pseudo-Sticking if you wish. Ledgehop P-stickReverse Aura Charge is great if you're fighting a character that likes to run up and grab you when you get on stage from the ledge (Deeds, Icies, etc.) They'll run right into the Sphere charge and then you can safely move about since you've delayed them. P-Stick AuraSphere is good, too from the ledge.

6. Throws. Figure out what your most desirable option or options out of each of your throws are. Chances are you'll be using each of them at least SOMETIME during your matches. Set the computer and constantly throw them and figure out what works and what doesn't and what you can use to shut down a human player after the throw.

7. ExtremeHog. ExtremeSpeed at the ledge = Instant Edgehog from a very long distance. Learn it.

8. Start learning how other characters work. Take a visit to the other forums and look around. Research and gather intel. Look at videos. All this so you can gather possible playstyles and be able to adapt to your opponent within the first minute and shut him down with your versatility.

9. Consider your options in common situations and what you want to do out of them. I'm talking like shielding Wario's dair or when you see Game and Watch trying to key you. I've found that utilting out of shield works vs. dair and Double Team or Shield Grab or Usmash beats Keys. Do this for yourself and find situations that you're going to be put into often against other characters and have a plan ready instead of ad libbing everything.

10. Be sneaky and find out who's going and who they main. Study them if you can as much as you feel is neccessary/applicable so that you might be a bit more ready to shut down their style. If you're in a region high in a certain character population (Texas.... Florida...) take special care in knowing how that character flourishes.

11. Practice your Beasting. Come up with victory poses.

More to come.

Good luck!

Closing(END)

In Conclusion; I believe Lucario is an amazing character. Great fanbase and players are easy to talk to and connect with. Lucario is a character that feels like he adapts to the player, especially with the aura ability. All of the Lucario mains are fiercely loyal to their character choice and to each other. If you're a main, then you're pretty much family to us, at least to me. If you want to go sky high with Lucario, then by all means do it. You need only have the drive and desire. I believe in you. In my time with Lucario, i've startled countless people and made impossible wallclings (that has caused AfroThunder/Leh among other people to actually exclaim "What the F***!" during the match). Lucario is the underdog of the century and can turn any tide as long as you stay focused and keep your eyes on target. Keeping calm is a key element of Lucario, as you'll always need to be studying your opponent and tracking percentages in the back of your mind. It might sound complicated and it will be, at first. Eventually, it'll all become second nature and you'll rise to the top. If you need anything, please ask and we'll do our best to get off-topic is four posts or less. Have a wonderful rest of the day or evening and enjoy your Lucario.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Alright, sportsfans. If I missed or forgot about anything, please tell me. If you think another section needs to be made, suggest it. Want me to elaborate on something? Ask! If you have your own information that needs to be added, POST IT AND IT SHALL BE EDITED IN. Thank you in advance. Good luck. <3

Browny

Smash Hater
:O

cool infos

lucarios ftilt has bigger range than marths. anything which does that = instant god tier attack. ill update this post with any more correction/ new stuffs i can think of...

----

lol yeah it doesnt, i couldnt tell the difference between marths jab and his ftilt lol, but its kind of hard to compare since marth moves forward when he does his ftilt. anyway...

dtilt hits behind you. Aura sphere cannot be jabbed (as in, marths way of stopping it) once it begins to do 13% damage. so at 182% you only have to charge it half way (like, half a second of charge) before it cant be jabbed :>

Milln

Smash Champion
I thought we decided that Our ftilt had less range than his... or maybe i'm tired and confusing it with the fair discussion... @@

Greenpoe

Smash Ace
Interesting. F-smash tipper of the aura gets extra knockback...stutter stepping for Lucario sure does help! (Tap forward just before you hit forward on the C-stick if the c-stick is set to smashes. When you do a normal F-smash, Lucario's back foot will remain stationary from start to finish, but to know when you do the stutter stepped f-smash correctly, look at the foot. If it flahses one step forward as you do it, then you've done it right, and you've got your "bonus" range.) The F-smash will hit backwords if you hit with the very palm of it.

Nodrak

Smash Ace
This is the one that should be stickied!
Nice use of pictures =P Though.. any vertical wall Lucario can cling to, as long as it's not on too much of an angle. Which walls can he not cling to?

Tallen

Smash Journeyman
Infi, search more in deviantart. there are LOADS of awesome pictures there (glad you liked my Objection pic though, how DID you get it in full size?? ¬¬)
either way this is a great guide =D can't wait for the rest of it though. (crazy like a FOX?? what the hell...)

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Plz let me say my dodge name

My alt. roll dodge now has a name. It will be (unless the name is taken) teh Extreme-dodge!

Milln

Smash Champion
ExtremeDodge. XD Hahaha

I would look Deviant Art but the last time I tried I found the same pictures you guys found. =o I'll look again.

Silvran

Smash Apprentice
Nice Topic, glad this one will be updated. Didn't realize there we so many near guaranteed/guaranteed combos.

Milln

Smash Champion
May 8th, 2008- Added Wallclinging section and added a couple tricks. Added movie for Combo 19

Boo ya.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Good job

Good job, btw, you definitely have the makings for a mod-to-be, Inner Fire. Great job with the moveset list.

RUNS AROUND IN UNDERWEAR, FREAKAZOID! FREAKAZOID!

Jeepy Sol

Smash Ace
Hoorah for Milln!

Double Team intentionally to gain distance. Up against someone that likes to spam projectiles and you can't get in close? Turn away from them and wait for one to hit you and Double Team the thing. Your sneaky, sneaky tactic will cause you to slide towards them with invincibility(confirmed, right?) frames and can then attack them immediately out of it and most of the time they'll be a little startled at what to do and won't know if you'll hit them or not and will instinctively shield, setting up an easy grab.
You don't necessarily need to be facing the opposite direction.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=JtTrTZZVA-M

'Member? You 'member.

Milln

Smash Champion
orite. I completely forgot about that after I started trying to find ways to turn yourself around before you counter. Haw.

OWAIT. Jeepy you have friends. =o Do it off of the edge facing the edge and see if we can not gimp ourselves, finally.

Jeepy Sol

Smash Ace
OWAIT. Jeepy you have friends. =o Do it off of the edge facing the edge and see if we can not gimp ourselves, finally.
Yes, I foolishly forgot to put this in the video, but this is one of Reverse DT's best features.

Whether you are hit by a projectile or by a melee attack, I can guarantee that you will succesfully make it back 95% of the time. Plus, on stages like Final Destination or Yoshi's Island, it will lead right into a wall cling. And if you don't have your double jump, and are playing spammy characters like Pit, this greatly increases your chances of recovery.

Adapt

Smash Lord
Well done Infi-tan, this should get stickied for sure.

Do you have the ability to do jumps and stuff once double team has gone off in the air? I can't remember if I have ever done it in the air and needed to use jumps after, and I don't have brawl atm to test it out for myself.

p.s. The dancing Lucario pic is sweet

Nodrak

Smash Ace
Assuming you kept your second jump, you CAN jump out of a DT in the air. It doesn't cripple you if you're off the edge, but it doesn't help much cause it'll fling you downwards =S

Pentaoku

Smash Apprentice
Are match ups going to be included in this thread? If so, I wouldn't mind contributing.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Waitasecond. I seem to remember a post detailing when Lucario powered up his Aura when. If I remember correctly, it resets itself in real time like the "Underdog Multiplier."

...Whoop, here we go.

Basically, the cap is 167% and power boost starts around 28% and increases every 10% or so (or at least that's what's noticeable, so for all we know it could go into fractions like the Jabpunch). Knockback I'm guessing is also proportional to the damage boost.

Nodrak

Smash Ace
As long as you don't do it in training mode, training mode != brawl mode.
Just use two controllers, don't need two people, just controllers and put only healing hearts on for items. should be able to go from there... It'll just take a while.
We should get a couple people doing this under the same conditions, it's a bit much for one person to be doing this.

Milln

Smash Champion
I prolly won't do Match-Ups, we've got the inverse matchup thread, which I think is a lot better and much more helpful than a traditional matchup topic.

Testing that I need done and am too lazy to do, myself:

Someone to confirm Lucario's Aura multipliers. That Aura Sphere post might be innaccurate due to the modifier might not be able to apply a new modifier on the original percent because it caps at a percent close to that. Besides, we need it for all attacks. =x
Fresh Maxes and Decay Minimums for all attacks at 30% increments (30, 60, 90, 120)
KO Percentages on fresh moves at different Lucario percentages if you can get them.

Milln

Smash Champion
May 9th, 2008- Jotted information in the moveset that I forgot when they were first written. Added a sad, but cute picture for the Cons. Added some Double Teams to the approach section. Switched up the third introductory picture. Added two tricks.

I feel good, today. =3

Khosan

Smash Rookie
Screwing around with Mr. Sandbag today while I waited for an online match to get moving.

Force Palm Flame seems to have a differing knockback depending on where you hit. The closer to the tip, the weaker it seemed, but the closer it got the more it seemed to knock Sandbag back. When it got to the actual part where he'd normally grab the target, it launched Sandbag a bit into the air.

I could be wrong (I am sleepy and mildly paranoid at the moment), but I think what may be happening is the flame's knockback varies on a vertical axis somewhat, depending on where they get hit. I'll check more thoroughly tomorrow morning.

Milln

Smash Champion
Hm.. When I was testing that same thing I didn't notice anything... hrrm... Do test that. I've got to see if DPC has any usefulness for us.

Edit: Nope, Not really. Upsmash has dash cancel-ability anyway, Fsmash halts momentum, and the only one it really affects is Down-Smash, which travels a very minute distance. Curse our superb traction!

Browny

Smash Hater
i was quite certain lucarios damage caps at 182%, as per the event match where you play as lucario 'at max power' and you start at 182

Khosan

Smash Rookie
Tested what I was talking about last night. Used the Ice Climbers at 200% on FD.

Results from testing: There's no difference as far as I could tell as far as vertical knockback goes. No matter where I blasted the Ice Climbers, they always went about the same height. There was a difference in how far they went though. A hit with the tip would send them to just about the end of the platform from the center of the stage, while a hit closer to the grab (but not grabbing) sent them a bit further, just past the edge from the same place.

Not the most thorough test (I only did it about ten times each), but I've got finals to do.

Milln

Smash Champion
I bought new games. >,> new Ps2 games and stuff. This means:

I plan to stay up all night and tomorrow night and get no sleep. I tend to be a little weird and giggly when I don't have the necessary recharge time on me and that usually leads to finding new and unusual things in Brawl. Is there anything you all would like me to test, come up with, find, discover, figure out, poke at, decipher the nuances of?

Evan BlazE

Smash Apprentice
- New York - The Polluted State - *Casual East Coa
I bought new games. >,> new Ps2 games and stuff. This means:

I plan to stay up all night and tomorrow night and get no sleep. I tend to be a little weird and giggly when I don't have the necessary recharge time on me and that usually leads to finding new and unusual things in Brawl. Is there anything you all would like me to test, come up with, find, discover, figure out, poke at, decipher the nuances of?
kind of a newbie question, but is there anyway to cancel the A/AA/AAA attacks..?

lets say I doing an AAA attack, and the person roll behind me(unexpectedly), before finishing up the combo.
is there anyway to cancel it (3rd A or w/e)

Milln

Smash Champion
kind of a newbie question, but is there anyway to cancel the A/AA/AAA attacks..?

lets say I doing an AAA attack, and the person roll behind me(unexpectedly), before finishing up the combo.
is there anyway to cancel it (3rd A or w/e)
Just don't press the button the 2nd or 3rd time. o,o if you mean cnacel it while it's still in its animation, no, not to my knowledge. That'd be hax and broken and then we'd do AACancelACancelAACancelAACancelACancelAACancel to infinity because they wouldn't be able to get out of it. D=

Milln

Smash Champion
hmm.... OK , thanks... Thats all for now

EDIT: but you can still slow down you AAA right..?
It can be delayed, yes. Instead of holding the button down or mashing the button or timing it perfectly, just time the presses a little slower.

Pentaoku

Smash Apprentice
The ExtremeSpeed Bounce helps reduce lag time, but can you do anything useful out of it?

Jeepy Sol

Smash Ace
Actually, you can cancel the Jab A while its still in it's animation. Just quickly flick down to crouch and you will be able do do his first A in quick succesion. It can also be done with Jab AA. Unfortunately, you cannot trap people in it, and can be easily Smash DI'd out of. But it's still useful. I really don't think I need to make a video of it, but if it is ABSOLUTELY necessary, I will. >.>

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
The ExtremeSpeed Bounce helps reduce lag time, but can you do anything useful out of it?
Yes, I found a mindgame tech for it, the "extreme-dodge" lol. It is good right after a spam period, or to just put the occasional scare (don't use it too often though).
For more info, see "Lucario's 'alternative roll dodge'".

Oh yeah, and Jeepy speaks the truth.

Nodrak

Smash Ace
I doubt it's anything or if it'll work but Pikachu can QAC (not quack, Quick Attack Cancel) by using quick attack aiming at the ground. As Pikachu hits the ground, he's in the air for a split second, and in that split second he can do an attack straight out of it. So I'm wondering When you hit the ground using ExtremeSpeed, is there any point just before you hit or just after where you can attack or tech?

Like I said, I doubt it'll work and it probably would have been discovered by now but I'm curious.

Top Bottom