• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Akron OH 5/24 tournament and fun times

ithrowthings

Smash Lord
NNID
ithrowthings
I will be hosting a tournament at a friend's house (with his permission of course) because he has a lot more room and such than I do. T I know that this is quite short notice and somewhat haphazardly thrown together

The tournament is for brawl double elims and will start at 4 P.M. This time is subject to change to meet the needs of the people who will be playing. I will get some form of tournament software this time so it runs a bit more smoothly than my last tournament.

Entry to the tournament is 5$ however you don't have to enter the tournament to come play brawl or melee friendlies. There are 3 TV sets and there should be 2-3 wiis with copies of brawl already at the house. There are also a couple copies of melee floating around (I know where at least 1 copy is for certain.) Any help in bringing Wiis and TVs would be appreciated.

The tournament could last anywhere between 3-6 hours depending upon how many people show up. I'll also try to get some tournament running software as well so things run a bit smoother than the last tournament I had. Most of my crew (which consists of seven people) will be there and a few locals from the area. I'm hoping to get at least 5 people from smash boards to come but hopefully more.

The address is 3124 Cosmos Ave Akron OH 44319 and there is PLENTY of available nearby parking at a nearby baseball field. I will be able to drive anyone that is within a reasonable (10-20 minute drive) distance. I may be able to drive you from Cleveland as well. After the tournament we might pitch in on pizza or something if everyone wants to and play friendlies or MMs or if there is enough interest run a doubles tournament or a melee tournament or WHATEVER i'm flexible. If anyone needs to stay the night they are more than welcome there are a couple couches and a mattress and such. Hell, this could run into Sunday if people want I don't really care cause I have off memorial day.

ithrowthings

Smash Lord
NNID
ithrowthings
kk, I was thinking of possibly convincing the toledo people holding the tourney on the same day to come here or possibly we could go there

slartibartfast42

Smash Lord
I will probably come.

No Melee tourney? Where's the melee love? >.> Oh that's right, you like brawl because it has sonic. >.>

I can bring 3 TV's, but no wii, so I'm not bringing anything until someone commits to bringing a wii to make a full setup.

ithrowthings

Smash Lord
NNID
ithrowthings
Cool, I'm fairly certain we're set for TVs wish my freakin wii wasn't still broken... I'm gonna double check with some guys from akron I'm trying to aim for 6 set ups all-together. The living room is fairly large but if need be we can set up some displays in the barracks as well.

Ya, bring your cube and melee too if you want. Can probably play some friendlies and MMs in there and if there's enough demand possibly a melee tourney too.

I'm trying to get some food as well. I know they have a crap-ton of spaghetti-Os and I'm trying to get some meat for the George Foreman grill. Our best bet might be if everyone pitches in on some pizza.

Keltzon

Smash Cadet
Hey I'll be there, and I'll be trying to convince a few friends of mine to come as well. Is the tourney still starting at 4? I thought it was starting closer to 5, due to a few people not being able to make it in time?

Oh, and I'm trying a new character at the tourney ^-^

ithrowthings

Smash Lord
NNID
ithrowthings
Hey I'll be there, and I'll be trying to convince a few friends of mine to come as well. Is the tourney still starting at 4? I thought it was starting closer to 5, due to a few people not being able to make it in time?

Oh, and I'm trying a new character at the tourney ^-^
As it usually takes a while to set up everything to begin with and people are generally playing friendlies and such I'm sure showing up at 5 wouldn't be a problem. I'll make sure to delay your match until you arrive.

Also, if anyone wants to raise the stakes a little, 10 dollars may make things a bit more interesting. We can take a vote or something the day of and we can also hold a brawl doubles or a melee singles or doubles or something if there is enough interest.

If anyone needs a ride from Cleveland or the surrounding area I can also provide that as well because I will be watching the new Indiana Jones movie after work Friday and probably head up to the Cleveland common grounds afterwards.

Dobs

Smash Journeyman
I just found out my friend's b-day party is on the same day. I don't think I can make it anymore.

Sorry.

slartibartfast42

Smash Lord
I will be bringing a friend to this.

[rant]

Also, I feel your pain ithrowthings. My wii is broken as well (as I probably already told you at the last tourney...). However, my Wii actually still runs, it's the fan that's broken. The system stays on for a half hour then turns off randomly due to overheating and is unusable for an hour. I have ordered the screwdriver needed to open up my wii and attempt to fix/replace the fan. My warranty's void already. I got the Wii on launch day, plus there's 2 large gashes on the side from when both of my stupid siblings managed to drop my Wii 1 meter onto concrete in the same week. Yes, my wii's on a meter tall table in my concrete-floor basement, and my siblings have a habit of accidentally pulling too hard on their gamecube controllers...

[/rant]

ithrowthings

Smash Lord
NNID
ithrowthings
okay everyone the official address is 3124 cosmos Ave Akron OH 44319. The house has a relatively large parking lot but it'll probably be full. If you keep driving past the house you'll see a baseball field directly in front of you. There is plenty of parking available to the left of the baseball field. The house is a stone's throw away from the parking lot. I'll try to make a sign or something.

Also, after work tomorrow I may or may not be going to Cleveland common grounds it depends on if how many others are going and if anyone needs a ride.

Glad to hear you're bringing a friend too. If no more of my akron area friends run away in fear we should have a decent turnout.

Edit: PLEASE BRING CONTROLLERS! We do have quite a lot but many are broken and I want to keep controller johns to a minimum.

Keltzon

Smash Cadet
I'll call around Akron, see if anyone wants to go. I kinda want Drew to go, cuz I know I can use his superspecialawesomewithcherriesandwhippedcreamontop controller. ^____^

Oh, and Alex has a Wii with at least two good controllers, and Brawl. We'll bring that.

Dobs! I'm sorry you can't come! ;-; The world just isn't good without ya...

Will Pete be there?

Also, I contacted another Cleveland person, but he can't go due to him not seeing this post in time, and he already has plans. I think the more often we do this, the bigger things will get.

And here's hoping the weather is nice. If it is, I'm bringin' lawn chairs for out back!! ^__^

EDIT: I would keep it $5 if we are going to do a doubles tournament as well. I barely have enough for food and the tournament as it is, I don't need to give up any more! Lol But once my job starts up, I'll be all for $10 tournaments!!

ithrowthings

Smash Lord
NNID
ithrowthings
I'll call around Akron, see if anyone wants to go. I kinda want Drew to go, cuz I know I can use his superspecialawesomewithcherriesandwhippedcreamontop controller. ^____^

Oh, and Alex has a Wii with at least two good controllers, and Brawl. We'll bring that.

Dobs! I'm sorry you can't come! ;-; The world just isn't good without ya...

Will Pete be there?

Also, I contacted another Cleveland person, but he can't go due to him not seeing this post in time, and he already has plans. I think the more often we do this, the bigger things will get.

And here's hoping the weather is nice. If it is, I'm bringin' lawn chairs for out back!! ^__^

EDIT: I would keep it $5 if we are going to do a doubles tournament as well. I barely have enough for food and the tournament as it is, I don't need to give up any more! Lol But once my job starts up, I'll be all for $10 tournaments!!

"Pete" is Impp and he'll be there. I wouldn't bother with the lawn chairs but the wii will be nice.

UPDATE: no spending the night... I'm pretty sure no one was planning to, my friends have plans after the tournament. I'll try and figure out when.

ithrowthings

Smash Lord
NNID
ithrowthings
We have 3 Tvs and 1 sucky TV if you guys could bring 2 TVs altogether and plz plz plz plz plz controllers.

ithrowthings

Smash Lord
NNID
ithrowthings
well, we started the tournament. If anyone is running late there should be some time for friendlies and such...

ithrowthings

Smash Lord
NNID
ithrowthings
Dang it... I'd have come if I had seen this earlier... :/
Make sure to come to the enter the fray 3 on june 7th. I'm not hosting it but it's bound to be amazing.

Thanks to everyone who came it was a lot of fun.

Results:

Singles:
1st Bob (smash mcgee) <pit
2nd Flick (combunox) <toon link
3rd andrew (ithrowthings) <sonic
4th andrew (slartibartfast) < ... forgot to ask DDD and zss i think
5th taylor (zareidriel) < luigi

Doubles:
1st team kickass (smash mcgee, zareidriel)
2nd team sonic (ithrowthings bowm)
3rd team suck (keltzon, jon jon)
4th team iknowyouseeit
4th team amazing

I'll post more results when I actually have them in front of me.
more places once I get the whole spreadsheet

slartibartfast42

Smash Lord
I used a wide variety of characters. I used King DeDeDe, Rob, Marth, Zero Suit Samus, Jigglypuff, and Pikachu.

EDIT: How many total entrants were there? Coming in 4th goes from being impressive to meh if you change the number of entrants from 30 to 5.

Keltzon

Smash Cadet
hmm...12? Somewhere around there.

I used Lucario, Ganondorf, Ness, Zero Suit Samus, Pit... >.<

I would like to congratulate myself (keltzon) for coming in third for teams with a teammate who barely plays the game/hates the game/sucks bawls at the game. And before anyone asks, team attack WAS ON.

'Nuff said.

EDIT: The winner used Pit, the second placeman was Toon Link.

ithrowthings

Smash Lord
NNID
ithrowthings
I used a wide variety of characters. I used King DeDeDe, Rob, Marth, Zero Suit Samus, Jigglypuff, and Pikachu.

EDIT: How many total entrants were there? Coming in 4th goes from being impressive to meh if you change the number of entrants from 30 to 5.
14 for singles

5 teams for doubles

UPDATE: if anyone grabbed an extra wii or possibly the wrong wii if you could PM me it would be greatly appreciated. I'm fairly certain it's just been misplaced somewhere in the house or someone accidentally took it thinking it was theirs.

Like I said, any information if you could PM me it would be greatly appreciated.

Top Bottom