• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

wave dash tech for shiek

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
LOL!

I just saw your thread in the Tactical Discussion like two minutes ago and was like "YES, tilt infinite combo might now be possible, take that FOX...The Sheik forum must see this!!1!"

*Doubles back to sheik forum with link to thread in hand and see this*

Anyways thank you ever so much for finding this God-is-my-Rock and for showing Sheik doing this as well. From what I gather from the video you have to move a bit forward before being able to slide back well you can do a ftilt while moving forward maybe the attack wont cancel your momentum and would be able to continue a tilt chain. With a bit a practice I see this becoming extremely useful for all sheiks. It might be more important to learn this over Dash attack cancel up smash.

Great find, thank you ever so much for posting this.

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
LOL!

I just saw your thread in the Tactical Discussion like two minutes ago and was like "YES, tilt infinite combo might now be possible, take that FOX...The Sheik forum must see this!!1!"

*Doubles back to sheik forum with link to thread in hand and see this*

Anyways thank you ever so much for finding this God-is-my-Rock and for showing Sheik doing this as well. From what I gather from the video you have to move a bit forward before being able to slide back well you can do a ftilt while moving forward maybe the attack wont cancel your momentum and would be able to continue a tilt chain. With a bit a practice I see this becoming extremely useful for all sheiks. It might be more important to learn this over Dash attack cancel up smash.

Great find, thank you ever so much for posting this.
no problem..

It does take a lot of practice though, and some peoples moves in this game stop your momentum no matter how fast you go.

I haven't practicing doing it at different directions either.

Also, you dont have to move forward if you dont want to, but the more more forward momentum you have the farther back you will go.

It's like a sling shot effect.

Squidster

Smash Ace
Fantastic :o

I must work on this now.

Sheik is becoming quite a technical character.

Techs that are exclusive to sheik (or just a few characters)

Boost smash
Vanish guard (run to edge and have momentum carry you off)
This

Yay advanced techs ._.

Tristan_win

Not dead.

I must work on this now.

Boost smash
This

Yay advanced techs ._.
Yay, all we need now is more tech then we can say "Brawl Sheik is more technical then Melee's because she has more special techs that only she or a few other characters can do"

imdavid

Smash Journeyman
*raises eyebrow* mutters "what the f...." *hurries to wii*
thanks god is my rock :] you are up on my pagan idol worship list

*edit* LOL GOD-IS-MY-ROCK FOR PAGAN IDOL WORSHIP XD ... sigh.. irony...

airius

Smash Cadet
you can do this out of either a short hop or walking forward. (there may be more i haven't messed around with this too much). While walking forward or just after landing a SH, you want to quickly move the joystick going in the downward diagonal direction opposite of which way you are facing, and release. This will do the crawl dash seen in the vid.

Avulse

Smash Rookie
I couldn't do it before, but after practicing it on Luigi first I can do it pretty easily now. But only going right, I can't do it at all going left for some reason. It seems pretty useful, but the distance you go isn't too great if you don't run far. Maybe you should make a video of you testing it? Like see if you can move out of some attacks with a lot of lag afterwards, like Marth's Fsmash, Falcon Punch maybe?

FreakingMethodiC

Smash Journeyman

I must work on this now.

Boost smash
This

Yay advanced techs ._.
Except, boost dash aint that great and running off and grabbing ledge> vanish guard :p .

And not to knock anyone, but this doesn't seem very usefull for shiek except on slopes. Merely walking towards an opponent w/o covering yourself with a Ftilt or shield and trying to do a slow not so far mock wavedash really doesn't seem to help much.

But hey, i could be wrong... but wether im right or wrong it's a really nice find.

Squidster

Smash Ace
Except, boost dash aint that great and running off and grabbing ledge> vanish guard :p .

And not to knock anyone, but this doesn't seem very usefull for shiek except on slopes. Merely walking towards an opponent w/o covering yourself with a Ftilt or shield and trying to do a slow not so far mock wavedash really doesn't seem to help much.

But hey, i could be wrong... but wether im right or wrong it's a really nice find.
Boost smash IS that great.

Vanish guard is indeed not that great, but has situations where it is useful (like vs ike... Gotta love 100 invincibility frames vs aether)

After trying this i'm not sure if this is going to be useful. *Shrug*

FreakingMethodiC

Smash Journeyman
Boost smash IS that great.

Vanish guard is indeed not that great, but has situations where it is useful (like vs ike... Gotta love 100 invincibility frames vs aether)

After trying this i'm not sure if this is going to be useful. *Shrug*
Well boost smash IS that great is you can get max distance with it everytime. I personally can't get Boost smash consitantly with shiek... yet (only one that's a ***** to do with).

And i think this will help while on sloped edges but not soo much off them.

Deg222

Smash Journeyman
Florida; I consider myself a decent brawl player.
I couldn't do it before, but after practicing it on Luigi first I can do it pretty easily now. But only going right, I can't do it at all going left for some reason. It seems pretty useful, but the distance you go isn't too great if you don't run far. Maybe you should make a video of you testing it? Like see if you can move out of some attacks with a lot of lag afterwards, like Marth's Fsmash, Falcon Punch maybe?
I have the same trouble too. Does anyone know if they can do it while walking to the left and crawling backwards towards the right?

gantrain05

Smash Master
its a cool finding but i just can't see it leading to anything really useful, i mean from what i saw you have to walk quite a ways just to crouch down and move like half an inch.

Squidster

Smash Ace
Agreed... this looks like it could be big but i think its too impractical to lead to any significant increase in anyone's meta game. what-a-shame

Crazy Cloud

Smash Journeyman
Can anyone else do it while going left? It seems way harder than doing it while walking right (or I just suck at doing it:laugh:).

Cobra

Smash Journeyman
Let's ignore the people who are automatically saying that this is useless and that techs like Boost Smashing aren't practical...(such people have apparently never been killed by a surprise boost smash the ends up being a triple hit on characters like DeDeDe, Snake, and Donkey Kong)

...now I haven't even been able to try to do this yet, but from looking at the videos, let's try to imagine how this could be useful.

1) A feinted retreat : It looks like Sheik gets some good distance here, and that she retains the ability to do any move she wants out of it. If you could feint a short hopped attack, and end up sliding halfway backwards across the stage, it could probably confuse a few opponents and maybe lure then into starting an attack, at which point you can safely let loose a barrage of needles for some nice damage. Purely situational.

(Crawl Dashing looks very useful to me, at least int he way that wave dashing was very useful for avoiding attacks...so the new discovery of this and the short-hopped version seem exciting)

2) A really cracked out approach : I'm not gonna speak to how useful this could be...probably not all that useful, but the glide motion could be used as an approach in certain situations. Not a very good one, considering you have to be backwards for it to work, but hey, I'm just exploring options here. You could probably even use it as a feint in this manner...using the slide as a draw for a shield, or an attack, cancel the movement with a tilt and then follow up from there. Possible Mindgames.

3) Has anyone seen what this does on a ledge? ...like if we initiate the slide backwards off the edge of a board? Wavedash-edgehog anyone? Just a thought...

I think this has some pretty interesting situational uses in Sheik's game. Again, like Boost Smashing, it's not gonna make her top tier, but it's another trick in our ninja arsenal that we can keep up our sleeves.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
3) Has anyone seen what this does on a ledge? ...like if we initiate the slide backwards off the edge of a board? Wavedash-edgehog anyone? Just a thought...
This was the first thing I tested for and I'm pretty sure that Sheik stops her slide at the ledge.

...If anyone can prove me wrong please do so as I miss my precious wavelanding.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Do it between stocks to make people go "HOW DID YOU DO THAT?!!"

demodemo

Smash Ace
personally, i prefer to pivot walk across the stage between stocks

yeahyeahyeah, but i rarely ever do so since charging needles have become a habit :embarrass

gantrain05

Smash Master
sooo.....this tech was actually discovered not long after brawls release...hope you don't plan on taking credit for it.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Who are you talking to? This is an old thread (May 21!) lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom