• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Aerial Rush

∫unk

Smash Master
I haven't seen anyone mention this so I thought I'd post it up.

Pretty much the same as Reverse Aerial Rush in execution, but if you run one way, turn around then jump backwards you can immediately do aerials going and facing the opposite direction that you were just running in. If you wait too long after turning around you enter the skidding animation.

Particularly useful with Marth as his f-air in most situations is better than his b-air. Good with any character that needs to be facing the opponent for his aerials to have most effect.

∫unk

Smash Master
arial rush done against a rar?
huh?

What? Why not just do a regular fair...Anyway, what you explained IS the RAR.
okay try running forwards then jumping backwards and doing a f-air backwards... it won't work unless you pivot first.

and this ISN'T RAR. RAR is specifically for a b-air. this is for a f-air.

I did the cap falcon knee on my friend this way,this is old
k you wanna post when someone has mentioned this I haven't seen it at all (btw no one cares if you've done it and didn't post it). Although I imagine it would be old... it's not that far of a reach after RARing.

the reason why I thought it might be "new" is because it's pretty **** important in Marth's game, and from all the videos of "good" players I've seen it has yet to be incorporated into their game

Mista Sinista

Smash Lord
I like to do nairs with Captain Falcon like this. It's pretty much the only useful thing Falcon has at this point lulz.

Nodrak

Smash Ace
Isn't this just a RAR > fair instead of bair? Or am I missing something? Besides can't you just c-stick the fair and DI back? I'm not saying it's a bad tactic but, it's nothing special.

∫unk

Smash Master
I like to do nairs with Captain Falcon like this. It's pretty much the only useful thing Falcon has at this point lulz.
knee still doesn't work with mindgames lulz. trust me i wanted falcon to be good too :(

Isn't this just a RAR > fair instead of bair? Or am I missing something? Besides can't you just c-stick the fair and DI back? I'm not saying it's a bad tactic but, it's nothing special.
RAR button input:
---> < Y >A

AR button input:
---> < Y <A

RAR continues to go forward, but you're facing backwards. AR goes backwards but faces forward. So no, it's not RAR and you use it in a completely different situation, but it's similar in execution.

If you c-stick f-air and DI back your not turning around.

Imagine this situation (o= opponent y= you):
o y
-------------

The opponent is rushing you:
o --> y
-------------

So you decide to run away and punish with spaced aerials. However, you're not playing someone with a good back air so you need to turn around. If you just SH here and did an aerial towards the opponent notice how it would be a back air.

o --> y -->
-------------

At this point you do an Aerial Rush. Now for someone like Marth you're in an ideal situation where they're either in dashing animation or lagging from trying to grab/attack you where you were in the beginning and you're turned around SH facing them.

SketchHurricane

Smash Ace
That makes it more clear. I was thinking of running toward the opponent, while you were talking about running away. I wouldn't call it an Aerial Rush for that reason, it's not an accurate title. Retreating Fair or something like it would be better. Seems useful for certain spacing situations, but most characters I use have good bairs..

Nodrak

Smash Ace
RAR button input:
---> < Y >A

AR button input:
---> < Y <A
Best explanation ever, thank you! Certainly clears things up. Works well for Marth, but other characters like Lucario (my main) may actually benefit more from just a dash > SH > bair

SketchHurricane said:
That makes it more clear. I was thinking of running toward the opponent, while you were talking about running away.
You're right, it's more like a Retreating Aerial Rush, but let's abbreviate that to RAR =P

∫unk

Smash Master
I just called it Aerial Rush because it's the opposite direction of a Reverse Aerial Rush (but similar technique). I think it's easier to remember that way.

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
T_____T

wouldnt u just jump di back and use ur fair?

why would u go at ur opponent > pivot, jump and use ur foward air? woudlnt u miss him

Jon64

Smash Cadet
I think the most suiting name would be "Reverse Airial Retreat", but that kinda abbreviates into the same thing as the current RAR, so who knows. Basic idea though, is that just AR for "Airial rush" is wrong because this is not a rush at all. Same goes for calling it "Retreating Airial Rush". It's not a rush, its a retreat, so rush shouldnt be in the name.

In fact since they're pretty much the exact same technique done in different directions, I think having the same nickname would be appropreate.

∫unk

Smash Master
No because it's actually completely different in application, and it definitely isn't a "reverse aerial rush".

Retreating aerial rush is more accurate. You are approaching the enemy after you run away.

Honestly what would be more beneficial is renaming this technique and RAR into some universal term (like dash pivot), but trying to change one of the few core Brawl ATs would be near impossible at this point.

The point is to keep it simple, that's why I called it AR because it's the opposite of a RAR in direction. It may not be 100% accurate but calling it something completely different would just complicate things even further.

Top Bottom