• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shield Pressuring for Dummies

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
First, I recommend reading St. Viers' What makes a move "safe". It has a quick summary of frame advantage and a little mathematical example as well.

That said, we all probably have Sheik's moveset down decently well now. We know that ftilt sets up into a lot of things, and usmash hurts, etc. So in this thread we'll consider the options of approach against a shielding opponent.

Obviously, using an unsafe attack like dash or running usmash will get you punished. People can react, and they'll shield unless they have something better to do. So, if you and your opponent are both in a neutral situation, do not approach with these very often, if at all:
dash attack
usmash
fsmash
dair

If you're a bit of a distance from your opponent, closing that distance will give him time to shield, at which point you'll need to think of what to do against it. Your options are:
Properly spaced ftilt
Properly spaced dtilt
Two jabs
Autocanceled fair
Autocanceled nair
Autocanceled bair
Crossup with bair
Dsmash
Grab

If you successfully grabbed, congratulations, you now have control of the situation. Do a throw and try to hold control for as long as possible.

If you didn't, then your opponent will have either shielded/dodged your attack, or gotten hit by it. Let's consider the options on shield.

If you attacked the shield with
ftilt
dtilt
then you can follow up with
jabs
shorthop nair (retreating, if you want to avoid punishment)

jabs
ftilt
dtilt
grab

fair
nair
bair
ftilt
dtilt
jabs

dsmash
then you have no options, just hope one of the three hits connects or they retreat.

You can then link any of the above into a proper shield pressure string and keep it up until you either connect with an attack or land a grab. I hope this helps for those of you Sheik players who like to play aggressive.

dj_pwn1423

Smash Journeyman
I sometimes get punished by a nair when I hit with a jab. It usually happens after they power shield or when they take off the shield to soon. what would be the best way to avoid that nair?

Also, I don't know if it just looks different in videos, but it seems like some people are able to DI further back after an aerial than me. Is there a specific direction you have to move the analog stick?(other than simply backward) or does it have more to do with timing?

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
You usually want to use both jabs. If they powershield, consider shielding yourself, because the worst they can do after that is shieldgrab you.

I don't know about the DI thing, unless you're talking about different characters, since Sheik has poor aerial movement.

imdavid

Smash Journeyman
ankoku is the best, three cheers for ankoku, not that my praises mean anything to him

anywho, if you ftilt a shield its not advised to do another ftilt? Hrm.. yeah i guess that makes sense to follow up with a jab instead becaus another ftilt is just asking to get shield grabbed

popsofctown

Smash Champion
lols at imdavid..

What's an autocancelled nair? or crossup with bair? i feel horribly behind. if i look in the sheik info thread will i find a section for these?

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Autocanceling is landing really early or really late after doing an aerial so that you only get normal landing lag instead of the aerial's landing lag.

Crossup is landing behind the opponent with your attack.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
You bump a half a year old thread to say "good thread Ankoku"? Seriously man cut down on the spam or i'm going to report you.

Top Bottom