• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Video Thread: Now in Regular Definition!

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Watched game 1. Going to sleep soon.

Okay, so, I feel like you throw out a lot of moves without any purpose, like you're set on doing something without really looking at what the opponent is doing. You pivot grabbed the air a lot, especially when in a relatively neutral stance. Tink isn't going to approach you, ever, really. You also ran and Usmashed in a random *** direction midway through the match.

Sometimes your reaction time seemed really slow. It wasn't really like that the whole match, only the beginning, so I can't really say much else past that.

At about 4:40, Tink was at about 100%, and he whiffed a grab. You had time to punish with something REALLY hard. Charged Fsmash, maybe. Mighta killed him. Instead, you jabbed. Learn to maximize your punishes, it counts for a lot.

D

Deleted member

Spamming double jab at nothing isnt particularly good either.
Super predictable spotdodging, going for lots of double jab grab which barely works at low percent, not much reading, trying to continuously spotdodge bombs, which is dumb, etc.
Runon sentence ftw

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Reaction time was bad cuz it was at 5 in the morning :p

I do need to work on not doing random **** though. I wonder what the hell I was thinking after a game sometimes...

bigman40

Smash Master
Reaction time was bad cuz it was at 5 in the morning :p

I do need to work on not doing random **** though. I wonder what the hell I was thinking after a game sometimes...
Then you need to get legit matches where you are not johning over anything. I don't wanna watch a match (and possibly critique it) then to hear johns right after it.

Slice~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
risuno
i'm currently watching the last one.
i'll edit my posting every 20sec, i'm not able to make a full resumee lol

moar egglays pls, yoshi has an aerial grab: use it!
if you try to bomb on YI, try to hit the platform if the angle is right. you should use every possibility to make your yoshi more fluent.
Nice pivot grabs!, more please!, they are one of yoshis trump cards (is trump card right? lol)
at 2:04: you shouldnt have stopped to chase him imo. yoshi is so mad at pressuring the opponent. if you once got him, dont stop (until he starts to get solid again)

if your enemy is trying to conquer the edge, try to grab him with an egglay while recovering. most of them dont get it fast enough and you get safe back on the stage again

lol @ 2:21, nice one

dont try to compete with his lasers, using the egg throw. it's not an active move imo, you should use it just from time to time.

try to powershield his lasers. yoshi has a great and fast shield /not
keep on dodging, nice one!

when a falco tries to chain you, keep on slamming the A button. the nair is faster than you think

do not cancel your dj while you are recovering with an upb if the opponent is hanging on the ledge. a dair could be really helpful to keep him offstage while you are recovering.

good match though!
i like your yoshi, even if he's a bit un-solid (DOES THAT WORD EXIST?! LMAO!!)

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
The sets I lost at my monthly yesterday...

vs. Bundtcake (ROB)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0R9QlaHGpk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xAxuZBOCu4

I need help with this match-up. I've been really good at losing to ROB lately. :x

vs. Asa (Olimar/Wario)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbfjSOlRglk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jF4-oGC5meA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_q8ICJWftmo

I managed to go nearly two full matches against Olimar without using any dash grabs. I didn't realize this until I was at 90% on my last stock on game 3. Derp.

:005:

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Okay, ROB time.

You made a lot of non-MU specific errors, like spacing issues, that got you punished. You missed a lot of Egg Lays just barely, which added up to a lot of damage.

You need to be careful with ROB's aerials. They're dumb. It can look like the fire is gone, but you'll still get hit because there's still a hitbox there. His aerials are also good for beating our normal Usmash/grab landing punishes. You don't really want to wait for ROB, you want to go to him, because his aerials have some degree of start up time.

Be more careful when approaching. You do need to approach in this MU, but make sure you're aiming for the 45 degree blindspot that's like ours. Wait for him to do something, then act. DJCEL baits will let you get him in the air. You need to be patient at a neutral state, don't always just rush in.

However, when you finally get a momentum hit on ROB, it's time to rush him. Do not give ROB time to recover. You need to be on him and combo him like it's Smash 64. Edgeguard him to hell. Use the Egg Toss setup. Put on pressure. If you hit him too far away and he starts to recover back to a neutral state, ease off so you don't get hurt by a complete reversal. However, when he's above you, you should definitely be looking for Egg Toss setups.

When ROB gets momentum on you, treat it sorta like Marth. Back off a bit and reset. Don't run into the ****, he'll beat you head on like that. You took unnecessary damage by trying to rush in and beat him after he'd started moving in on you.

Also, don't spotdodge so much in this MU. ROB's throws don't reaaaaaaaally setup into anything, and they're not incredibly threatening. You did a lot of spotdoding and got punished for it. I know we're Yoshi and all, but use the shield too.

Edit for asa vids:

Olimar is sort of like ROB in that you want to go destroy him once you get that first hit on. What you really want to do once you get him into the air is maintain stage control to keep him above you or with his back against the ledge. At about 1:35 in the first match, you did exactly that. You tacked on a bunch of damage just using eggs because he was at the ledge and he couldn't really do anything. You also want to use moves that let you keep near him, unless you really need to get him out.

Stop Egg Camping Olimar. It doesn't work. Deltacod just told you to stop camping, so this is serious. You want to close in space so Olimar has no choice but to confront you. You spent a lot of time dancing around in the air, making no progress forward, giving Olimar time to think and punish your landings. SH/FH approaches are good. Just be patient and close in space. You'll cut off a ton of options and then you can set up a juggle. At 5:45 especially, you chose to run away and throw eggs at him instead of move up to the center of the stage when he ran away. Moving up would have put on a lot more pressure than eggs, since they're pretty damn ineffective in the MU.

Also, stop worrying about Pikmin on you so much. Unless it's a white one, you're not gonna be taking tons of damage, so stop worrying knocking them off all the time. You pretty much lost your second stock in the first match because you Nair'd the Pikmin that was on you.

You should generally be more focused on hurting Olimar than removing his Pikmin. At 2:55 you Egg Layed and Dsmash'd to remove Pikmin, letting Olimar escape without much of a follow up. Olimar can replenish Pikmin really quickly, especially if you give him the chance to by not keeping the pressure up. Even if you had killed all his Pikmin there, he definitely could have picked up at least 3 right after it.

pwiito

Banned via Warnings
I do play yoshi :p. few ppl know so sush, been using him 4ever and I'm somewhat good with him. but yeah I do use him, mainly mk tho. Delta says I'm a "traitor" but nah ~~!!

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
^^^ This.

Utah has 2 ROBs, one of whom is really good ROB (Chibo status) and if you get the gyro, you control the game. R.O.B. has absolutely nothing on yoshi without it. Problem is getting the gyro in the first place against good ROBs...

bundtcake

Smash Ace
HI JAKE

as the rob you're trying to beat, I'll give you a hint that if you're gonna attempt to steal my gyro, you better be good at handling it or all you're doing is blocking off most of your moveset and making it really easy to rush in and combo you ;)

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
@bundt: if we throw the gyro and then instantly attack our air speed is fast enough that we can regrab the item instantly. If we want we can also dj cancel with it and can djc up throw and wavebounce it, then auto cancel to the ground with a smash, tilt, etc. We still have our camping, air grab, and one kill/mindgame move without even dropping it as well. Yoshi is dominant with the gyro.

bundtcake

Smash Ace
you have to be good at handling the gyro to do that is my point, otherwise you're putting yourself in an even worse situation :p

also, yoshi being dominant with the gyro seems debatable, but I don't think I'm qualified to head that debate because I haven't faced a yoshi who's good at using it... to me it seems like yoshi gets a few extra attacking options, but they're mostly just mindgame-y, not particularly matchup-changing, and rob loses a projectile, but yoshi isn't impossible to approach without a gyro. of course this is my only partially informed opinion as a rob player + old yoshi secondary, so take with a grain of salt

D

Deleted member

^^^ This.

Utah has 2 ROBs, one of whom is really good ROB (Chibo status) and if you get the gyro, you control the game. R.O.B. has absolutely nothing on yoshi without it. Problem is getting the gyro in the first place against good ROBs...
Stop freaking hyping up utah in every post you have hahaha, we know X is good.
Its really annoying we dont care how good the players in Utah are (at least i dont).

Ch1bo sucks anyways lol so i dun get yo point.

Rob still has ftilt, which ***** yoshi because we cant roll behind rob, and he has fair, and bair, all which do a number on yoshi.
Gyro isnt really that hard to get control of, just DJAD

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
Okay, ROB time.

Yay!

You made a lot of non-MU specific errors, like spacing issues, that got you punished. You missed a lot of Egg Lays just barely, which added up to a lot of damage.

Yeah, I've been noticing my egglays have been missing a lot lately. That's something I want to practice during the Christmas break. Though for some of the missed egg lays, it wasn't so much a spacing issue as it was simply a bad habit of mine where I B-reverse egglay predictably off platforms. Bundt just stood just outside the range for that and waited for me to B-reverse into him; this is especially noticeable near the end of game 2.

You need to be careful with ROB's aerials. They're dumb. It can look like the fire is gone, but you'll still get hit because there's still a hitbox there. His aerials are also good for beating our normal Usmash/grab landing punishes. You don't really want to wait for ROB, you want to go to him, because his aerials have some degree of start up time.

I never really thought of it that way, lol. That should help. =]

Be more careful when approaching. You do need to approach in this MU, but make sure you're aiming for the 45 degree blindspot that's like ours. Wait for him to do something, then act. DJCEL baits will let you get him in the air. You need to be patient at a neutral state, don't always just rush in.

I let my fear of his Fsmash keep me from making use of that blindspot. =[ When I approach, I'm basically just doing random stuff and hoping it works, and most of the time, it doesn't.

However, when you finally get a momentum hit on ROB, it's time to rush him. Do not give ROB time to recover. You need to be on him and combo him like it's Smash 64. Edgeguard him to hell. Use the Egg Toss setup. Put on pressure. If you hit him too far away and he starts to recover back to a neutral state, ease off so you don't get hurt by a complete reversal. However, when he's above you, you should definitely be looking for Egg Toss setups.

That sounds fun...but could you give me an example of where I backed off where I shouldn't have? I don't doubt that I'm doing it, but I want to get a better idea of when I should continue going in.

When ROB gets momentum on you, treat it sorta like Marth. Back off a bit and reset. Don't run into the ****, he'll beat you head on like that. You took unnecessary damage by trying to rush in and beat him after he'd started moving in on you.

Gotcha.

Also, don't spotdodge so much in this MU. ROB's throws don't reaaaaaaaally setup into anything, and they're not incredibly threatening. You did a lot of spotdoding and got punished for it. I know we're Yoshi and all, but use the shield too.

Agreed. I found myself regretting a lot of my spotdodges during that set. :x

Edit for asa vids:

Olimar is sort of like ROB in that you want to go destroy him once you get that first hit on. What you really want to do once you get him into the air is maintain stage control to keep him above you or with his back against the ledge. At about 1:35 in the first match, you did exactly that. You tacked on a bunch of damage just using eggs because he was at the ledge and he couldn't really do anything. You also want to use moves that let you keep near him, unless you really need to get him out.

I think I do this in general when playing this match-up, though there were probably some times in this set when I got too cautious, as this was the first time Asa went Olimar against me in tournament in quite a while.

Stop Egg Camping Olimar. It doesn't work. Deltacod just told you to stop camping, so this is serious. You want to close in space so Olimar has no choice but to confront you. You spent a lot of time dancing around in the air, making no progress forward, giving Olimar time to think and punish your landings. SH/FH approaches are good. Just be patient and close in space. You'll cut off a ton of options and then you can set up a juggle. At 5:45 especially, you chose to run away and throw eggs at him instead of move up to the center of the stage when he ran away. Moving up would have put on a lot more pressure than eggs, since they're pretty damn ineffective in the MU.

This makes sense to me on paper, but when I'm playing, I focus too much on going in when I feel comfortable instead of doing it when he feels uncomfortable. I'll try and change that.

Also, stop worrying about Pikmin on you so much. Unless it's a white one, you're not gonna be taking tons of damage, so stop worrying knocking them off all the time. You pretty much lost your second stock in the first match because you Nair'd the Pikmin that was on you.

This also results in me wasting even more time in a neutral position. >.<

You should generally be more focused on hurting Olimar than removing his Pikmin. At 2:55 you Egg Layed and Dsmash'd to remove Pikmin, letting Olimar escape without much of a follow up. Olimar can replenish Pikmin really quickly, especially if you give him the chance to by not keeping the pressure up. Even if you had killed all his Pikmin there, he definitely could have picked up at least 3 right after it.

I just love the sound of dying Pikmin. '08 metagame FTW.

Seriously though, I normally just wait on the ground for him to land instead of chasing after him. I guess the 7% I could've gotten from Uairing his egg would've been nice, but I prefer to do stuff like that sparingly so it catches him off guard when I do want to go for it (he's really good at whistling >.<) I think the real problem at that point was the bad egg I throw after the Dsmash, which is what gave him enough time to land unchallenged.
Responses in orange. Thanks a bunch. =D

@ the gyro stuff: I'm not confident enough in my item control to go out of my way to nab them (I wish we had a Diddy main here...), and I'm skeptical about how effective attempting to camp with it would be against Bundt. I kind of agree with him about the approach options I'd gain being gimmicky, and my gimmicks don't work very well at all against a lot of our players. Depriving him of his glide toss is nice, but other than that, I'm not a huge fan of the gyro. Does anybody have any good videos of Yoshi using it?

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
That sounds fun...but could you give me an example of where I backed off where I shouldn't have? I don't doubt that I'm doing it, but I want to get a better idea of when I should continue going in.
I'll look for this sometime, but it's late now. Going to bed soon.
I let my fear of his Fsmash keep me from making use of that blindspot. =[ When I approach, I'm basically just doing random stuff and hoping it works, and most of the time, it doesn't.
You don't really need to be afraid of Fsmash until high percents. Until then, he's only staling it, and he's not as likely to use it against you. It'd probably be ftilt to worry about. Like Socks said, Ftilt is a major pain in the *** for us.

Seriously though, I normally just wait on the ground for him to land instead of chasing after him. I guess the 7% I could've gotten from Uairing his egg would've been nice, but I prefer to do stuff like that sparingly so it catches him off guard when I do want to go for it (he's really good at whistling >.<) I think the real problem at that point was the bad egg I throw after the Dsmash, which is what gave him enough time to land unchallenged.
Yeah, that egg was awful. But I didn't mean attacking the Egg he was in, I mean going up to pressure him. Like, if you only sit around and wait for a character to land, it's a lot easier than when you mix up jumping at them for pressure. Especially off a move like egg lay, where Olimar releases really high, you want to abuse his weak air game to follow him and pressure. Despite that, you definitely coulda gotten something if you didn't fail at Egg Toss. =P

This makes sense to me on paper, but when I'm playing, I focus too much on going in when I feel comfortable instead of doing it when he feels uncomfortable. I'll try and change that.
You typically don't want to approach when you're feeling uncomfortable, but you can't always be feeling uncomfortable. Just work at recognizing the times when Olimar is uncomfortable. Those are your comfortable moments, lol. Works for other characters too.

As far as Gyro control goes, I don't like it much. Sure, ROB has to approach, but we lose our camp game (Usmash and pivot grab), for a gimmicky OoS option, which is beaten by just shielding near us, since it's all we can do. I'd much rather use the Gyro like a banana, for offensive pressure, rather than holding it to camp.

bundtcake

Smash Ace
Yeah, I've been noticing my egglays have been missing a lot lately. That's something I want to practice during the Christmas break. Though for some of the missed egg lays, it wasn't so much a spacing issue as it was simply a bad habit of mine where I B-reverse egglay predictably off platforms. Bundt just stood just outside the range for that and waited for me to B-reverse into him; this is especially noticeable near the end of game 2.
oh jake, you give me too much credit, I just stood still because I assumed you were going to miss like you were doing earlier, not because I realized I was outside of its range <3

You don't really need to be afraid of Fsmash until high percents. Until then, he's only staling it, and he's not as likely to use it against you. It'd probably be ftilt to worry about. Like Socks said, Ftilt is a major pain in the *** for us.
mm, this advice may apply to some rob players, but fsmash is one of rob's moves (nair being the other main one) that can sometimes be more useful if you ignore using it as a KO move and just use it without worrying about staling, and yoshi is one of the matchups that personally I just end up using fsmash as an anti-air instead of a KO move. of course this leaves the rob player with less options for KOing though, so if you notice him not worrying about a stale fsmash you can expect him to use nair for the kill

Sharky

Smash Master
Stop freaking hyping up utah in every post you have hahaha, we know X is good.
Its really annoying we dont care how good the players in Utah are (at least i dont).

Chibo sucks anyways lol so i dun get yo point.

Rob still has ftilt, which ***** yoshi because we cant roll behind rob, and he has fair, and bair, all which do a number on yoshi.
Gyro isnt really that hard to get control of, just DJAD
I noticed you spelt "chibo" wrong, so I thought I'd help out. :troll:

also you can't airdodge catch it until it's spinning out.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
you have to be good at handling the gyro to do that is my point, otherwise you're putting yourself in an even worse situation :p

also, yoshi being dominant with the gyro seems debatable, but I don't think I'm qualified to head that debate because I haven't faced a yoshi who's good at using it... to me it seems like yoshi gets a few extra attacking options, but they're mostly just mindgame-y, not particularly matchup-changing, and rob loses a projectile, but yoshi isn't impossible to approach without a gyro. of course this is my only partially informed opinion as a rob player + old yoshi secondary, so take with a grain of salt
Imo rob has a small advantage, but when we get the gyro it becomes either even or a very slight yoshi adv.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
mm, this advice may apply to some rob players, but fsmash is one of rob's moves (nair being the other main one) that can sometimes be more useful if you ignore using it as a KO move and just use it without worrying about staling, and yoshi is one of the matchups that personally I just end up using fsmash as an anti-air instead of a KO move. of course this leaves the rob player with less options for KOing though, so if you notice him not worrying about a stale fsmash you can expect him to use nair for the kill
Fair enough. Still, I find Fsmash harder to avoid than Nair, so I'd much rather have Nair be your method of killing. But this is very player dependent. I don't recall getting hit by Fsmash too much when I last played the match up, so yeah.

bigman40

Smash Master
Firefly, I must say that I am actually impressed with your improvement over this year. You still got a lot of problems to get rid of, but you're shaping up to be quite a legit Yoshi player. So, keep improving man.

Also, what's the song in your second match vs bundtcake? That's a pretty good song.

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
I'll look for this sometime, but it's late now. Going to bed soon.

Thanks in advance. =]

As Bundt already said, he likes Fsmash better. Most of his KOs on me seem come from Bair/Nair (sometimes with stakespikes when I let my guard down >.>) He doesn't seem to use a lot of Ftilt on me though...

Yeah, that egg was awful. But I didn't mean attacking the Egg he was in, I mean going up to pressure him. Like, if you only sit around and wait for a character to land, it's a lot easier than when you mix up jumping at them for pressure. Especially off a move like egg lay, where Olimar releases really high, you want to abuse his weak air game to follow him and pressure. Despite that, you definitely coulda gotten something if you didn't fail at Egg Toss. =P

I see what you mean. I tried mixing in some more aggro on him in the air when we played friendlies today, and it seemed to work reasonably well. I rarely get Uair KOs against his Olimar anyway because he just whistles them, so I shouldn't be worrying about "saving" it. =3

You typically don't want to approach when you're feeling uncomfortable, but you can't always be feeling uncomfortable. Just work at recognizing the times when Olimar is uncomfortable. Those are your comfortable moments, lol. Works for other characters too.

True enough. I think I can recognize situations like that fairly well, but it's probably something that's affected heavily by my mindset; i.e. if I feel pressured/nervous, I won't be as likely to capitalize on my momentum like that. That's something I'm going to need to watch for the next time I face his Oli in a serious set. :x

As far as Gyro control goes, I don't like it much. Sure, ROB has to approach, but we lose our camp game (Usmash and pivot grab), for a gimmicky OoS option, which is beaten by just shielding near us, since it's all we can do. I'd much rather use the Gyro like a banana, for offensive pressure, rather than holding it to camp.

It's still kind of weird seeing you advocate offensive options over defensive ones...
Responses in the quote again because I don't feel like breaking your post up. -.-

oh jake, you give me too much credit, I just stood still because I assumed you were going to miss like you were doing earlier, not because I realized I was outside of its range <3
Well...either way, you were reading a bad habit of mine, so w/e. :x

Firefly, I must say that I am actually impressed with your improvement over this year. You still got a lot of problems to get rid of, but you're shaping up to be quite a legit Yoshi player. So, keep improving man.

Also, what's the song in your second match vs bundtcake? That's a pretty good song.
Thanks. =D It's refreshing to hear stuff like that that from somebody I know isn't just dazzled by Yoshi's gimmicks. XD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rjhEy-O-0k

Slice~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
risuno
idk y, but firefly's yoshi totally confuses me...
i like his yosh, but.. i cant cope with it...

Top Bottom