• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Double Jump Cancel still exists. (But use is limited)

HeoandReo

Smash Apprentice
I don't know if this has been covered already, but a search yielded nothing.

So yeah. DJC is not nearly as useful as it once was, and may even be useless(or at least it seemed so when I tried it), but I'm just mentioning it still exists in Brawl.

There are 2 types of DJC. One activated by a B move, and one activated by an aerial (Specifically, dair). Only 5 characters total can do this.

B Button
Ness :ness2:
Lucas :lucas:
Yoshi :yoshi2:

With them, you do a Special move simultaneously with the second jump. Easy.

Aerial
Lucario :lucario:
R.O.B. :rob:

With them, you use their super-momentum-stopping dairs with the second jump to... well... stop momentum. They can also do a "Single Jump Cancel" the same way. I haven't tested Stall-And-Falls yet, but I suspect they may have the same result.

But yep, it's still there, even in the new mechanics. I don't believe any other character can do this. Peach might be able to, but my testing didn't really show it, and Peach's second jump is so low that it's too hard to tell.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I thought doing Lucas' PK Fire simultaneously with his double jump resulted in something quite different from a DJC.

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
yea lucas zap jumps doing this. werid results

and if its sooo useless why make-a-thread?

Vro

Smash Lord
Doval reigns supreme!

Momentum canceling moves don't make it a DJC, it's just a momentum cancel.

Pearl Floatzel

Smash Apprentice
And Ness, too. When he double-jumps with PK Fire, you get things like the PK Jump and Firebounding.
And that's just momentum stuff. So Doval and Vro are right. Not really useful, unless you made some sort of list of all the myriad glitches caused by the momentum-altering moves and jumps. And the Lucario and ROB part is already in the AT List thread.
So yeah. That's pretty much it for this thread. Sorry.

ADN

Smash Cadet
Ness can REALLY cancel his 2nd jump when launch an item at the same time as his 2 jump , is very usefull against items chars especialy...DidyKong!

Pit can cancel every jump with Up-B

saviorslegacy

My avater is not a Sheik avatar.
Others have already stated their opinion that this isn't useful so why continue guys.
When you continue it feels like you are being mocked.

Crow!

Smash Lord
Try Yoshi's neutral B with a double jump, and you'll see something very similar to a DJC. Basically, using a special move cancels the momentum boost provided by the double jump - if you're already going up at full speed it will have no effect and you will continue going up, but if you do it while still acclerating upward, you will not go up your full distance. Doing neutral B immediately after the double jump will result in immediately falling.

Seem useless? It's not. Using Yoshi as an example, with proper timing you get get a neutral-B grab to appear at whatever height you want it to, whether you are coming up from a ledge or trying to hit a particular platform, or just trying to do the flashy but technically bad egg lay juggle.

Its usefulness is limited more by the effectiveness of the DJC capable characters' normal aireals more so than by the moves themselves - if you're doing ledge tricks, why do a risky neutral B grab when you could do a rising dair or bair? You have to be very sure your opponent will be shielding and in range.

Lucas seems to get really weird effects from this - my guess is that the bottom of Lucas' double jump actually moves faster than the rest of the move, so if you do the DJC during the very beginning you shoot up about half the full camera height of FD. But all his specials except side-B are momentum setting so only "Zap-jumping" is an option for it.

As a side note, Lucario and Rob listed above don't count for this. Thier double jumps are no different from normal characters' double jumps - the upward momentum applied is instant and not gradual. As some other people here have pointed out, momentum changing moves are just that - momentum changing moves.

It's not a freaking DJC. A DJC is where you can cancel your second jump with any AERIAL, and still have drift options open. You can't drift when you use ROB or Luc's Dair. And you're not using aerials with Ness, Lucas, or Yoshi. -_-

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
People shouldn't call this useless. For Yoshi, this is a vital technique (as Crow already explained). We call it DEL (Dragonic Egg Lay). He can also slide very far using his aerial momentum, so it makes a great spacing tool.

But yes, for Yoshi, Ness, and Lucas, it is already known. Sorry. :(

Crow!

Smash Lord
It's not a freaking DJC. ... And you're not using aerials with Ness, Lucas, or Yoshi. -_-
Eh, that's just arguing semantics. The effect is the same, it's just a "special move" instead of an "aireal."

He can also slide very far using his aerial momentum, so it makes a great spacing tool.
I didn't know this allowed more momentum to be kept from the air than a normal diving egg lay. It never would have occured to me to even try. Thanks for the input.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Actually, the effect is completely different, and the result is only arguably similar. The uses themselves are also completely different.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
I didn't know this allowed more momentum to be kept from the air than a normal diving egg lay. It never would have occured to me to even try. Thanks for the input.
That's what makes it so good. You jump in one direction, then double-jump in the other direction and Egg Lay and you completely reversed your momentum. It gets people almost all the time. :laugh:

:069:

Top Bottom