• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dancing Blade is the best move in the game

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
This thread should have been made a month ago. Dancing Blade is just godly and I'm going to give out all the info on why. I'll talk about mix-up potential, set-ups, shield pressure, how to stay safe, and also talk about important data. Dancing Blade is a swiss army knife and IMO it's his best tool. After reading this thread, you too will agree that Dancing Blade is the best move in the game.

Properties & Data

Let's start with the basics. Dancing Blade is a very unique move. The smashwiki explains some basic properties very well, so here is an excerpt from the wiki that describes Dancing Blade.

"Marth's Side Special, Dancing Blade, is the largest move-choice Special in the game, involving him swinging his sword once, then allowing players to choose between centered or up for the second slash, then down, centered, or up for the third, and then down, centered, or up for the finale."

And here is another.

"Dancing Blade is Marth's Smash B. It's a unique special move, as it consists of four different attacks chained together; a variety of combos can be performed depending on ones tilt on the joystick for each attack. This makes it one of exceptionally few attacks in the series which relies on this type of input - most attacks require only one direction. It is, however, common in other fighting games.

The options on the tilts lead to 18 possible combinations (First attack is always the same, second attack has a standard/forward/down or up option, third and fourth attacks are standard/forward, down, and up as options)."

So right from the start we can see how unique Dancing Blade is. Each attack has slightly different properties and serves a different purpose. I will go over all the different attacks and give a brief description about each one.

1st Series

Forward B - This is the move that really makes Dancing Blade amazing. Marth does a quick downward one handed slash. It comes out in 4 frames. This is one of the fastest moves in the game. Marth steps forward for this attack which gives it good range. This move leads into the rest of Dancing Blade. Does about 2% in damage and 3% when tippered.

2nd Series

Forward B - Marth does a downward stab. He moves forward a bit for the attack. A fast poking attacking that leads into the rest of Dancing Blade. Does 2% and 3% when tippered. Pushes the opponent back.

Up B - Marth does a fast one handed upward slash. Pushes opponents upwards. Does 2% and 3% when tippered.

3rd Series

Forward B - Marth does a fast diagonally upwards slash with one hand. Does 3% and 4% when tippered. Pushes opponents back.

Up B - Marth brings his sword down with a fast two handed swipe. Does 3% and 4% when tippered. Pushes opponents upwards.

Down B - Marth lowers his body as he smashes his blade sideways at a downward angle. Does 3% and 4% when tippered. Can meteor smash an opponent in the air, but they must be very close to you. Can knock an opponent back quite a bit of distance on the ground. Tends to send opponents straight back at lower angles. If you stop the Dancing Blade here, Marth will step back so ends up about half a step from his original position.

4th Series

Forward B - Marth does a powerful spinning downward slash. Does 5% and 6% when tippered. Starts to kill around 130% if you hit with the tip and it isn't diminished. Has high backwards knockback.

Up B - Marth does a more powerful and flashier version of the up b attack in the second series, twirling around as he finishes the attack. The knockback is very high and it can kill starting around 115% if you hit with the tip and it's not diminished. Knocks the opponent into the air.

Down B - Marth steps forward and crouches low. He then proceeds to do 5 lightning fast stabs. The attack does about 10% whether you hit with the tip or not. Good against heavier characters, but less effective vs lighter characters. Has similar knockback to the Forward B in the 4th series but the knockback isn't as high.

Ok, after looking at this it's plain to see that the Dancing Blade has some interesting qualities. I'm sure this is obvious, but since the player must actually enter each command manually one after the other for the Dancing Blade, this attack is considered to be 4 seperate attacks in sequence. This means that Dancing Blade can regenerate Marth's other moves easily.

This is a pretty big deal since move degeneration really effects knockback and damage. So the fact that Marth has a move that essentially allows him to laugh at move degeneration is a HUGE advantage. This means a Marth player doesn't really need to worry about this at all, as long as the player makes good use of the Dancing Blade.

Since Dancing Blade is so fast it's an all purpose combo ender. It can link after pretty much any set-up attack that Marth has. D-tilt, Uair, Fair, F-throw, and D-throw all set-up really well for it, especially at lower percents. It is the go to attack when you want to deal good damage quickly.

It's also an excellent punisher thanks to it's blinding speed. Dropping your shield into Dancing Blade will punish anything that can be punished on block. Any good Marth should get into the habit of immediately dropping their shield after it's attacked by a punishable move and then doing Dancing Blade.

Approaching, Shield Pressure and Mix-ups

3 subjects to cover in one, but this is appropriate since they are all so closely intertwined when it comes to the Dancing Blade. Approaching with the Dancing Blade is easy. Run into Dancing Blade, dash into Dancing Blade, or walking to Dancing Blade. Simple stuff right? But that's what's so wonderful about it. You don't need any elaborate set-up to abuse the Dancing Blade. The move is fast enough that you can use it as an approach with great success as long as you use it INTELLIGENTLY. You can stop the Dancing Blade at anytime during the sequence. The down b hit of the 3rd series is good for that, since Marth moves back if you decide to stop there. The fact that you can stop the attack at anytime is what makes it tricky. Your opponent doesn't know when they can grab, or try to attack you so they will usually just sit in their shield and wait a bit until they are positive that it's to take action. And Marth can take advantage of this hesitation and do some pretty cool mix-ups.

Anytime you stop the Dancing Blade you can do a number of things. You can go for a grab. This is pretty effective, since alot of people just expect Marth to continue on with the attack. You can go for a ShieldBreaker. If you break their shield then you either got a free kill or you gave them alot of damage and set them up for edgeguarding. If you didn't break their shield then you scared them half to death and they probably won't shield for the next 10 seconds, which makes it alot easier to pressure them. You also have dash cross-up tricks you can pull out. Dash cross-up to pivot grab, dash cross-up to ShieldBreaker, and dash cross-up to Dancing Blade. You can just go into your other shield pressure moves like Fairs, D-tilts, or F-tilts. You could just do another Dancing Blade. You could even do something as basic as delaying the next hit so your opponent thinks they can attack or shield grab and they just get hit instead.

Marth has sooooooooooo many options when an opponent blocks his Dancing Blade. The moment you approach someone shielding your approach turns into shield pressure and once your forward b hits that shield and you stop and do something else it turns into a mix-up game. 3 important aspects that a character will need in order to be a solid character and Marth has it all in one technique. Still, to use DB mix-ups effectively you really need to watch your opponent, get a feel for their habits and condition them to do what you want so they don't counter your DB mix-ups easily. Work at it though, and it will be a valuable asset to your game.

Set-ups

Dancing Blade can set up well for edgeguarding and juggling. The up B attacks will launch opponents into the air and from there Marth can draw out airdodges and try to keep them in the air. The forward B attacks are mainly GTFO type attacks. Use them when you want some breathing room. The two down b attacks have different uses. The third one is good for edgeguarding set-ups. The knockback isn't too crazy and the angle it sends enemies at isnt high. The fourth down b is just for damage. Opponents can DI out of it though which limits it's usefulness. You really shouldn't rely on it. For the most part stick to the up b attacks, since it leads straight to an advantegeous situation that you can exploit pretty easily.

Marth also has some nice set-ups using his other moves to allow him to pressure with the Dancing Blade. Fair cross-up to Dancing Blade is one that I really like. Fair and then when you are on the other side do a reverse Dancing Blade. It can catch an opponent off guard and you can mix-up with fast fall to grab or Shieldbreaker after the intial cross-up fair.

Another one I like is SHFF tipper Fair to Dancing Blade. Very good for pressure. D-tilt to Dancing Blade is another good one. And if either the fair or the d-tilt hits then the Dancing Blade is a free follow-up if the opponents percent is low enough.

Recovery

Marth can use his Dancing Blade for recovery purposes. When Marth rises in the air and then does forward B he will get a boost in height. This can also be useful for stalling when people attempt to edgehug Marth when he is recovering low. This gives him a little extra time to stay in the air while his opponents invincibility wears off, so he can up b to the ledge once they roll off. Marth only gets one boost in height from his forward b per jump. To be able to get that boost in height again he has to touch the ground or grab the ledge.

Cool Tricks

These are just some pretty cool tricks Marth can do with his Dancing Blade and how to do them.

Wave Blade - To do a wavebounced Dancing Blade just jump in any direction. Then hit b and the direction that is the opposite of you are facing. Then IMMEDIATELY hit the direction you are facing. You know you got when Marth does a forward B but moves backwards. Also the first hit of the Dancing Blade will look rather jagged. This can also be done on the ground. Marth will step back instead of stepping forward for the Dancing blade.

Reverse Blade out of a run - Normally you can't do a Reverse Dancing Blade out of a run, but with this method you can. It's the method as the Wave Blade, When you are in a full run hit forward b then immediately hit the opposite direction on the analog.

I think Wave Blade has alot of potential in regards to spacing the Dancing Blade and staying safe. Reverse Blade is just an extra option Marth has out of a run. It's just a little something extra he has up his sleeve IMO. Wave Blade can definitely be used regularly though and has good spacing applications. A nice little set-up would be SH Fair on an opponents shield then Wave Blade so Marth goes back and spaces out the hits to stay safe.

Note - If you wanted to space the Dancing Blade the same way you would do a Wave Blade on the ground, you can get the same effect by dashing back then doing Dancing Blade in the opposite direction. Wave Blade on the ground is still super sexy though. ^_^

Well, that does it. I hope it was a good read and I hope you now realize that Dancing Blade is the best move in the game.

Allow me to leave you with some insight, before the end of this post.

Dancing Blade = win, but Dancing Blade online = Hot garbage fresh out the oven.

Discuss.

And if you think I should mention something in this post, let me know.

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
Funny you should post this...I really am in the process RIGHT NOW of making a thread called top 10 moves in the game...I have Dancing Blade listed as second.

Ced5000

Smash Cadet
good post dacning blade is definitely one of if not the best move in the game the fact that it can punish so easily at relatively no risk seing as how fast it starts up

GenesisJLS

Smash Journeyman
Another informative post by Emblem. I'm thinking you should just combine all your threads into a gamefaq when your done.

blazefox

Smash Journeyman
I don't think it's possible to love a move so much like Dancing blade/ You forgot to mention in your post how basically anytime during the move, back off on the speed of the strike, and when your opponent thinks your canceling the attack, you can dolphin Slash them for another 13% (:
It won't work on shield whores, but if someone tries for a grab, it can really pay off.

BacklashMarth

Smash Lord
I'm soooo glad you made this post since dancing blade is my favorite move in the game.:) Almost nothing gives you inevitable damage (except for the ness CG) on contact quite like it. Its set-up, damage, and punisher all rolled into once convenient joint, so prepare to light up. Anyway, you covered most of the important stuff. The only thing i noticed was missing was the gimpage the first poke of the DB has (the aid in vertical recovery was missing too but thats fine). I think you could add a few Dancing blade set ups that are similiar to dancing blade -> dolphin slash and uses for each. Since you did say the move is good for set ups though, this is just a suggestion. Good job on the thread and info.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
If you got ***** by MK I'm sure there was more to do with it then just Dancing Blade.

I would stick to the ground for the most part with DB.

BacklashMarth

Smash Lord
I got completely ***** today by a MK. I could never find the time for the **** dancing blade. Is it ever OK to use it in the air? Off the stage?(not against MK of course)
Dancing blade has a lot of uses (mainly set-ups) in the air. Short hop then tap fwd+b, then follow up with the move of your choice. It pulls (or pokes) the opponent into the air and gives you a free hit if your reaction time is good. I usually use dolphin slash or nair after the SH dancing blade just for the KO level knockback. Offstage, this move lets you gimp some opponents by stopping their momentum. The last thing it does is set up the perfect spacing for the dair spike. Do this on a non moving opponent. SH dancing blade (first poke), jump and dair at the same time. If done right, the dair should tipper. If your getgood at this your can do this offstage and spike someone (hard to do but worth knowing).

GeekY

Smash Cadet
the dancing blade is such a good move. especially how you can time the attacks (fast or short). if your opponent is off guard. you can side B once or twice. wait for less than a second. and use the shield breaker. sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt. (;

∫unk

Smash Master
I got completely ***** today by a MK. I could never find the time for the **** dancing blade. Is it ever OK to use it in the air? Off the stage?(not against MK of course)
Waveblading is done in the air, and it is a surprise move to continue attacking as you drop to the ground, so yes it works in the air if you're smart with it. Not recommended off the stage. Check my guide for how to play Meta.

Emblem you don't mention that the up b combo can miss short characters.

And you don't really need to waveblade for dancing blade to be safe, because as you say... dancing blade is pretty safe. Waveblading on the ground would just be like a running dancing blade that you started a little farther away than normal.

And this thread is like a month too late considering all the good Marths are already whoring this move like no other, but still a very informative thread.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
It won't miss if the percent is high enough.

And yeah they are whoring it. The question is that are most Marth's whoring it intelligently?

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
DB is definitely more viable in Brawl than it is in Melee.

Good summation of its utility, Emblem Lord. Your fando---I mean, your expertise with Marth never ceases to amaze me.

Smooth Criminal

Rebel581

Smash Champion
2) Dancing Blade can regenerate itself. The player just has to make sure he/she uses different directional inputs, since they count as different moves.
Good read, but I have an issue with this. It does NOT regenerate itself. As I'm the one who first discovered that it counted as 4 separate attacks, I also specified that each attack was added to the move depredation. Unless you've done some separate research in my absence, the research I did then (and repeated just now) still stands. The move's amazing, but it doesn't regenerate itself.

∫unk

Smash Master
Really? Hmph I went to go kill a Meta once with this and it failed me. I'll test that out tomorrow.

I'd say most are whoring it intelligently. I mean I instinctively have been doing the f-air to dancing blade and just punishing after block with dancing blade. The half-combo dancing blade to shield breaker is a nice little maneuver though. I think most are whoring it just as a GTFO damage builder, not as a setup for something else which is what interests me the most.

Anyways, maybe you should mention it's recovery purposes somewhere (stalling and extra lift after jump)? I still see Marth's getting gimped which only happens if you go melee mode with him.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
I think I heard from Overswarm that it regenerates itself.

I'll test it later though, but if you tested it then w/e.

The move is still sex though.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Double post.

Fixed the stuff Rebel talked about and added the recovery stuff.

*does a backflip

FishkeeperTimmay!

Smash Ace
You always outdo yourself Emblem Lord. I am very glad Marth has a player like you backing him up. All he needs now is some freakin' pros to pick him up. >.>

Dancing Blade is the foundation that all good Marths need to build off of, that and Fair. Using just these two techniques, you can practically do everything you need to do as a character. Marth is absolutely astounding!

Keep up the good work. ;)

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
Man this is too long to read. I'm just going to agree partially with EL and put Dancing Blade as 2nd best move in the game, with the half-waft as the best. I've got no arguments, so sue me.

FishkeeperTimmay!

Smash Ace
I don't think you mentioned the power of the fake out with Dancing Blade.

Dancing Blade makes you stop running AND stop moving horizontally on the first swipe. This is HUGE for fakeouts. You can run like you're going to attack, forces a shield/defensive reaction, Dancing Blade out of range and cancel into a follow up, like Shieldbreaker. Hehe.

You can similar things in the air. ^^

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
I often find myself using it to stop my movement, when I'm in a run. I like the control it gives me over my spacing.

∫unk

Smash Master
Really? Hmph I went to go kill a Meta once with this and it failed me. I'll test that out tomorrow.

I'd say most are whoring it intelligently. I mean I instinctively have been doing the f-air to dancing blade and just punishing after block with dancing blade. The half-combo dancing blade to shield breaker is a nice little maneuver though. I think most are whoring it just as a GTFO damage builder, not as a setup for something else which is what interests me the most.

Anyways, maybe you should mention it's recovery purposes somewhere (stalling and extra lift after jump)? I still see Marth's getting gimped which only happens if you go melee mode with him.
Okay so I tested this out (finally). The up combo will connect if you hit with all the hits. But the up combo is the least reliable when you miss the first hit. In many situations the follow up attacks will hit the opponent if you use forward or down combo (even if the first misses), but the up combo is so short on the range in front that it will often end up being punish. However, up combo is significantly better if you do connect on the first hit.

I also tried cross up combos, like the one Kizzu uses in his videos. It doesn't work unless the opponent has terrible DI.

In general I like up combo against bigger, less mobile guys like Snake, and down combo for lighter guys like Metaknight.

And down combo is RIDICULOUS for gimp set ups. Emblem mentioned this already but seriously people down combo off the edge. Even with good DI you're set flying at a trajectory similar to d-tilt off the edge.

blazefox

Smash Journeyman
I like to make people fear the dancing blade lol. Once the fear has been established, it's all mind games from there on out. Run after an opponent off stage, put yourself in range, then suddenly double-jump and spike them after their spot dodge frames end (: Gets em alot more often than you'd think.

Proverbs

Smash Lord
Don't know if this has already been said, but it would be great if a sort of combo video could be put together (either just of Emblem Lord or of any good Marth players) making creative use of Dancing Blade so this way our use of it can always stay fresh. Thoughts on this?

Also, the third down hit we should see if it is EVER practical to spike with this. I'd personally like to know that as it could add one more option to Marth's edgeguarding (I'd like to see this done off the edge while someone is recovering, but I'm not sure if that's practical.)

Tenki

Smash Hero
JW, do individual parts in the forward B stale each other out?

Like, first series hit counts +1 on stale moves
2nd series hit counts +1 on stale moves
3rd series hit counts +1 on stale moves... etc

or is does it all count only once depending on initiation?
(first hit misses) > 2nd hit makes contact > 3rd hits > 4th hit = +1 on stale moves

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
It's kinda weird.

I think it works like the game recognizes that the Dancing Blade is 4 seperate imputs so it will recharge your other moves. And I think each series can only stale the hits in other series. Like the up b of the third series will stale the forward B and the down b of that series, but not the other attacks in the other series.

FishkeeperTimmay!

Smash Ace
Tid bit of info here...

I was able to kill a Metaknight with the Up Finisher of Dancing Blade on FD at 110%.

"But Timmay!, his DI must have been horrible!"

OF COURSE it was... he was DI'ing UP so that my SIDE or DOWN finisher wouldn't send him as far... because I conditioned him to think I would use either Side or Down...

DDDAAAAYYYYUUUMMMMl; I love Marth.

Top Bottom