• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PK Fire Spamming Techniques

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
These are some moderately simple things which will allow you to spam PK Fire more safely and faster.

Short Hop PK Fire
More important to talk about than you might at first think. PK Fire has less lag on the end depending on how far away you are from the ground when you use it. This varies even by small amounts. Using PK Fire just before you land will have significantly less lag than simply short hopping and immediately using PK Fire. Practice the timing so that PK Fire comes out as low as possible but DOES actually come out. Not just Lucas screaming. For B-stickers this means you want to B-stick your PK Fires slightly later than usual but it's not much because the wavebounce effect pushes you downward naturally. For non-B-stickers you'll have to work out the timing to use it just before you land.

Lagless Full Hop PK Fire
A very useful thing to know. Do a full hop and IMMEDIATELY PK Fire and you'll be able to do your second jump before touching the ground. This means there is literally zero landing lag because well you're not landing. This provides a lot more safety using full hopped PK Fires because it allows you to move out of the way after you've used it in case you missed. It can work as a nice retreat if you use it running in the opposite direction as well. Even better it can allow you to follow up with another PK Fire directly after the first at the same level which can be very handy if an opponent is on a platform above you or is trying to approach from the air. The timing is tricky so you'll have to practice this one. It's close to the timing of multishining in Melee but not quite.

For B-stickers the timing is a lot easier and it works brilliantly as a retreat since both wavebounces will push you backward.

Utilizing Platforms and Stages
As mentioned earlier, the closer you use PK Fire to the ground the less lag you have on the end. Some platforms can really help you out here as they give you a handy place to land. Jumping off stages and preparing PK Fire early so that you land shortly after starting it can reduce lag a lot as well.

The fastest repitition of PK Fire possible is done this way. On Battlefield go to the top platform. Run off one of the sides and immediately use PK Fire toward the center of the stage. PK Fire will push you toward the edge of the platform. Quickly press toward the edge of the platform to fall off almost immediately and then quickly PK Fire again toward the center of the stage. If you time it early enough you will go off the stage. Use your double jump and PK Fire as your approaching the stage for a third very low lag PK Fire. This is all w/o B-stick. It's epic.

Ground PK Fires
In most cases you're better off jumping before you PK Fire. This is because there is less start up time when you use PK Fire in the air. However every once in a while, using one on the ground can work to your advantage. WHENEVER YOU USE PK FIRE ON THE GROUND TILT THE ANALOG STICK, DON'T SMASH IT. This will prevent you from taking the risk of tripping that occurs any time you smash the analog stick.

While dashing in one direction you can immediately stop and use PK Fire in the opposite direction by pressing forward B in the direction you're facing and quickly moving the analog stick in the opposite direction for the turn around. It takes some time to learn but you can catch people off guard with it sometimes so it can be useful.

Levitas

the moon
Nice article as always, Tyr.

Note that the turnaround PKF is easier with the bstick, as you don't have to flick one stick twice, just two sticks in quick succession.

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
Hmm really? Never knew that. I'm working a lot more with PK Fire recently. All of what I'm doing is without B-stick because it's my personal preference. I just noted the ones I knew here for people who do want to try it out with B-sticking.

You'd be surprised how fast you can move Lucas around and get the PK Fires flying when you mix these techniques in. Once you get a feel for how PK Fire moves you, you can use them to get a lot of momentum going while still protecting yourself. I really want to get a video out showing how fast you can get it going but I don't have any recording equipment as of yet. If anyone sends me there codes it'd be nice to send a replay just to get someone else's opinion.

Tucker!

Smash Rookie
niceee.. lucas hits like a **** train wreck, but spamming the pk fire is not cool, he has some better moves than that, well dont spam the usmash either... but his tilts are amazing, and his down smash almost hits just as hard as up smash and has amazing knockback, if anything spamming is a cheap way to win, especially with projectiles, when i play lucas i dont need to pk fire alot because he hits hard as hell.

Levitas

the moon
lol, keep an eye on how old the threads are when you comment for a while. This is a pretty old thread.

Welcome to smashboards.

RoxburyGuy58

Smash Journeyman
Could you post a video of "Utilizing platforms and stages"? I just couldn't understand it. Otherwise, this post was epic win :).

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
^^^
It's just a fancy way of saying, "run off a platform and use PK Fire as you're falling."
It's ridiculous how many times you can get a free 8% on anyone by starting a match on Battlefield this way.

This is a really outdated thread. It needs to die.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
Did this thread really need a bump?

This is in Tyr's Lucas player guide...

MegaM

Smash Rookie
i dident mean to bump it i was jus sayin the lagless actually works....srry

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
Welcome to Smashboards!

We like to discuss mostly competative Smash, meaning items off and sudden death isn't played out except on rare ocasion. However this could be sometimes situaional useful. :/

We also prefer you use the Lucas boards directory to check if a thread is dead so you don't unnecessrily bump a thread.

HelpR

Smash Ace
Rule 1 of smashboards: dont talk about all is brawl
rule 2 of smashboards: dont go posting in threads whose last post is over a month old unless you have something useful to contribute to the topic

Levitas

the moon
There's an exception to the second rule: If you feel something needs clarification, go ahead and ask.

People often forget that questions are useful contributions almost as much as answers are.

Top Bottom