• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee Replacing Brawl at EVO?

RDK

Smash Hero
Apparently, Mr. Wizard opened the Brawl Ruleset thread back up over at Shoryuken some time ago, but it seemed that there was no reason to pursue our efforts in getting the beta ruleset changed in time for this coming EVO in August.

Recently an attempt has been made to oust the Brawl circuit altogether and replace it with Melee. Wizard, the Cannons, and the rest of the bigwigs over at Shoryuken that head EVO are apparently "open to discussion as long as it remains civil and solid evidence is given along with your arguments", jus like during the Brawl ruleset escapade.

We all know Wizard is a stubborn ******* who demands tournament evidence to prove the negative aspects of items in a competitive tournament setting. However, if enough Melee enthusiasts show their support both in the presence of the EVO bigwigs (via this thread) and by not attending this year's EVO, maybe we can get rid of Brawl altogether and get Melee back in its rightful place.

Hopefully this is just one more step towards bringing Melee back in full force. All over the place, people are hosting Melee tournaments and players are flooding in by the hundreds (look up the GA tourney if you haven't already). I say we should have Melee back at the EVO scene, or nothing at all. ESPECIALLY not Brawl with items and disgusting stages.

Remember--if you're going to try and help in this thread over at Shoryuken, keep it civil and don't flame or attack people. If we state our arguments eloquently enough and keep the debate calm, we might be able to make a change for the better.

http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=157691

Zodiac

Smash Master
I am absolutely heading over there to support melee. My great thanks for posting this.

crescentia

Smash Journeyman
you know they're just going to demand tournament evidence for items again

err

Smash Journeyman
they should just do melee this season and let Brawl's metagame mature before hosting large tournaments for a fresh game on the fighting circuit

someone make that argument

also, someone mention that the people who are willing to pay $30 for EVO attendance/competition plus cover rising costs of travel are going to be people confident enough in their abilities etc. and a game like Brawl is just too fresh , which is riskier as a competitor and a tournament host (who should be invested in the game's competitive future, if he wants to capitalize on the Smash community)

Result?
they're going to have a smaller turnout. People aren't wanting to go get shot with 80 million arrows by Palutena's army. Also no one is going to want to put cash on the line when at this point the game is just too new and the extent of what we've discovered so far have amounted to no more than (super) abusive dthrows and (_very recently_) infinite second jump renewal. melee on the other hand has matured to be quite the game, with many characters possessing low-to-Death combos, the **** the MVC2 crowd likes to see.

plus the majority of supporters FOR-items are casuals and far less likely to attend EVO, much less hear about it.

man its like this guy never took an economics course in his lifetime. or a common sense one, for that matter.

i'm just sayin.. people are sooo pumped about the GA tournament, and when tourney matches hit the web, even the most staunch "progressives" are going to want to see Mike G. vs. M2K, Cactuar vs. Scar, SilentWolf vs. the fabric of space-time

All of us have seen Brawl tourney matches. If either character has a spammable projectile, the match runs 6 min. in length! It's absolutely miserable right now. People need to find a new way to play the game (Wario players never complain, and there's a reason why... he has one of the most varied movesets of any character and the raunchiest combo strings) before we put this thing on a national circuit. Smash gets little enough respect from SRK for EVO to throw Brawl on the ticket. people are just going to laugh at the 'little smash fanboys' because brawl looks so **** uninteresting and shallow.

They need to trust us when we unanimously state that the smash matches will be FAR more entertaining if they're smash melee matches.. where people know what they're doing, where a mature metagame has been established, and where a player has to fight his own nerves to keep his character moving faster and smarter than his opponent's.

(if they run Brawl with items, and people don't turnout) EVO will be able to say "we tried smash, but the support wasn't there for it"
...noobs

oh and ffs I'm so tired of reading their **** about how StreetFighter is like the manliest game on the market. Has no one seen a Falcon knee in that crowd? They talk about zoning and stage control, and I want to yell "YOU PLAY IN A FOCKING RECTANGLE>!"

I seriously read a post, setiments paraphrased: 'Smash fanboys think their game requires mindgames because every character has a mid-air jump' .
..I so badly wanted to sign up for an account and lay into him, mostly stating "yea, the fakeout with a double jump works.. for like a week. Then your opponent learns how to play the game and knock your *** of the stage

*sigh*... you know, i'm glad i quit smoking weed, but good crikey ignorance pisses me off

Requiem

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
they should just do melee this season and let Brawl's metagame mature before hosting large tournaments for a fresh game on the fighting circuit

someone make that argument
I actually really agree with that, and after that season we can always see if brawl's metagame is worthy enough.

I.B

Smash Lord
I actually really agree with that, and after that season we can always see if brawl's metagame is worthy enough.
Then people will just say a professional environment, Evo, is needed to further the metagame.

debaser

Smash Lord
Wait, wasn't last years EVO actually really mediocre? I thought M2K or someone said that

RDK

Smash Hero
EVO is consistently sub-par, yes.

But the prize money is enormous due to the sheer amount of people going.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
Ew.

Living in the past kids, living in the past.

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
We all know Wizard is a stubborn *******

Remember--if you're going to try and help in this thread over at Shoryuken, keep it civil and don't flame or attack people. If we state our arguments eloquently enough and keep the debate calm, we might be able to make a change for the better.

http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=157691

LOL RDK dude i love you but come on now

Ew.

Living in the past kids, living in the past.
Who are you, again?

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
yeah I know, but lead by example you fro

"Wiz is a BIATCH but lets be civil"

dudutsai

Smash Lord
I guess from reading the posts, that a bunch of people from this place lost their cool and made stupid posts on their forums... which adds to any disrespect they already had for us.

From reading many of the posts there, it seems like most people aren't even bothering to be reasonable and are being idiots themselves. There are idiots everywhere you go, you can't avoid them, but why bother continuing to argue on that forum if the people there don't even read what you are trying to say?

Zodiac

Smash Master
So far a bunch of scrubs from other fighting games are just bashing smash in general. Post's need to start happening that just give rock solid reason on why melee should replace brawl. and the scrubs should be ignored.

Crooked Crow

drank from lakes of sorrow
Wow
I didn't really know much about EVO and the SRK community
They hosted Melee tournaments in the past and even though I've never attended to them, I was thankful to them for helping the Melee community
But wow, their community seems so ignorant

Zodiac

Smash Master
Posts like that wont matter because anything that shows a hint of intelligence scares and confuses your average SRK member. This is why any smart post is ignored.
mostly their just trying to piss us off and provoke us into posting something stupid instead of staying on topic, someone repsonded to my first post with a straight up insult

ZodiacMetal said:
Originally Posted by ZodiacMetal View Post
Alright, all your doing is *****ing about smash in general, your scrubs. Now lets get back to the reason this thread is here, to give reasons that melee should replace brawl this year at EVO.
StuartHayden said:
You really think 2-3 melee nut huggers are going to sway the big man into changing his mind on the game line up? Especially after he invested all of his time into purchasing Wii's, Copys of Brawl AND making the Evo Custom Stage? Not to mention how many hours he had to put up with talking to "top smash players" to decide on a rule base that isn't official because smash ***s won't STFU and this close to Evo X?!

Seriously...not gunna happen.
Thats the response I got, they only care about screwing us over there, so if you post there, IGNORE ANY SCRUB RESPONSE YOU GET, if you ignore them and dont respond they have little to no affect on the situation.

Zodiac

Smash Master
I keep hearing that evo and srk pretty much collectively hates melee and smash in general. Why should melee even be there?

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Trust me. This would never happen. The collective SBR told them to not put items in Brawl. They did it. Then the rest of SWF and virtually every competitive player echoed the same thing. They didn't change a thing. Sorry to be a spoil sport or something, but if he refuses to take items out of Brawl then Melee is pretty much out of the question.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
eh, i feel like throwing my 10 cents in about this whole thing cause keits doubletalks out his *** and apparently nobody likes him beyond the KoF community? (I think that's what game he actually knows about, that and SS, nobody gives me a straight answer cause nobodylikes him)

__

First off, SRK as community doesnt like melee. That's a fact. The irony if brawl is that brawl is everything that srk "stereotypically hates" about melee, an "untechnical, kiddie game with no depth". (no this is not a statement to bash brawl, but compared to other major fighting games this is fact.)

Im still trying to figure out why SRk is all over brawl, it is a contradiction.

Second, brawl having items is will lower the turnout of COMPETITIVE SMASH PLAYERS, but i'm pretty sure it will frickin jack up the count of ENTRANTS they have in the tourney. Why? There are waaaaaay more people who say "smash should be played with items than without, and ___ stage" than people think, there's a reason why you dont see those people at tournies. Also, doing so aims to attract the common person instead of the average smasher (which is why SRK specifically said "We ignored Smashboards for the making of the EVO rules")

which leads me to my third point, the people running Brawl at evo have already proven they dont listen to smashers, only people on SRK (which most smashers dont go on unless it's for other games), meaning nothing will happen. I've already had my run ins with keits, who completely doubletalked within one conversation and basically blew me off as "arrongant" simply because I have the ability to read and repeat his messages back to him. But they have the power and they want a "game that will be hype and fun to watch, as opposed to melee's ability to put people to sleep"

...although 90% of mvc2 is MSP, cvs2 is A-groove, etc etc, it's just interesting to the respective communitites.

___

But more power if you guys want to argue with that, it'll be frustrating to listen to people who shut you down at stuff you've done for years basically because "They dont like it".

*Laughs* It's funny how i know so much about an arguement over a game i basically have no care about. But when something gets jacked up THIS bad, it's just sad.

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
eh, i feel like throwing my 10 cents in about this whole thing cause keits doubletalks out his *** and apparently nobody likes him beyond the KoF community? (I think that's what game he actually knows about, that and SS, nobody gives me a straight answer cause nobodylikes him)

__

First off, SRK as community doesnt like melee. That's a fact. The irony if brawl is that brawl is everything that srk "stereotypically hates" about melee, an "untechnical, kiddie game with no depth". (no this is not a statement to bash brawl, but compared to other major fighting games this is fact.)

Im still trying to figure out why SRk is all over brawl, it is a contradiction.

Second, brawl having items is will lower the turnout of COMPETITIVE SMASH PLAYERS, but i'm pretty sure it will frickin jack up the count of ENTRANTS they have in the tourney. Why? There are waaaaaay more people who say "smash should be played with items than without, and ___ stage" than people think, there's a reason why you dont see those people at tournies. Also, doing so aims to attract the common person instead of the average smasher (which is why SRK specifically said "We ignored Smashboards for the making of the EVO rules")

which leads me to my third point, the people running Brawl at evo have already proven they dont listen to smashers, only people on SRK (which most smashers dont go on unless it's for other games), meaning nothing will happen. I've already had my run ins with keits, who completely doubletalked within one conversation and basically blew me off as "arrongant" simply because I have the ability to read and repeat his messages back to him. But they have the power and they want a "game that will be hype and fun to watch, as opposed to melee's ability to put people to sleep"

...although 90% of mvc2 is MSP, cvs2 is A-groove, etc etc, it's just interesting to the respective communitites.

___

But more power if you guys want to argue with that, it'll be frustrating to listen to people who shut you down at stuff you've done for years basically because "They dont like it".

*Laughs* It's funny how i know so much about an arguement over a game i basically have no care about. But when something gets jacked up THIS bad, it's just sad.
come teach me GG

Spin-Dash

Smash Journeyman
I'm Pro-Brawl and 100% support it and love it, but to be completely honest? I don't think that Brawl is ready to take on EVO or even be considered for MLG yet if we were to get there. Especially under the rules that were established there.

Brawl needs to spend more time being played and expanded on underground, in the many circuits that are run by the Smash Bros. community, meanwhile we keep Melee alive in top professional leagues SUCH as EVO. EVO should reconsider; for now at least. This gives Brawl time to better expand and then when/if Brawl DOES debut, then we'll be sure that we may be learning new things every day. But when we show up with the new game, we'll have more to wow people with.

Brawl's not ready for EVO or if anybody got the bright idea of MLG yet. Not yet.

Top Bottom