• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New AT- HillDash [Update: 6-11-08; 10:30 PM EST]

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
VIDEOS:
CF Doing it- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJv7if8tUu0

I decided to Mess around with Yoshi today, my random Stage switch ironically pulled up Yoshi's Island (Melee).
After about a half an hour, I was messing with Yoshi's Double Jump, and what I discovered shocked me. I discovered a wavedash thats even EASIER to pull off then Melee and goes just as far!

The problem?
It only Works on a hill, but even the Lylat Cruise Hills (While tilted) are Steep enough for this to work.

The Origonal Double Jump Method:
All you have to do it go on a hill, jump, IMMEDIATELY do a double jump while move slightly towards the top of the hill, a half step pulls off a Hilldash as long as his Initial Dash Animation. Holding it for about 1 step pulls off a long Wavedash that looks like Yoshi's From Melee.

You'll notice you just wavedashed, it looks EXACTLY like a Melee Wavedash.
Intesting. And Yes, you CAN attack during a HillDash.

I hope I found something new and useful.
Discuss

Updates:
Update List:
6-8-08, 2:10 PM EST: Changed "Lagged HillDash" to "Unique HillDash" To better show how they are like.
6-8-08, 8:03 EST: Revised HillDash Stage List
6-9-08, 10:14 PM EST: Added Luigi's HillDash; 10:25 EST: Added Key for the character HillDash Organization.
6-11-08; 10:00 PM EST: Added Lucas's, Peach's, and Yoshi's (New) HillDash; 10:30: fixed Luigi HillDash Error

Methods:
Double Jump Method- The first known method, explained above (Also serves on any Jump-Based Method)
Boost Method- Using a Speed-altering move to boost you into the hill, then causing a hilldash after collision.
Unique HillDashing- Characters with HillDashes that don't quite fit the program.

The Boost Method has different forces driving the HillDash than the Double Jump Method, but prouce the same, Wavedash-like resuts, and are therefore Hilldashes

Key:
Name (Length, Speed, and Other info)- How do do it
How Fast overall when spammed
Capable People of doing a Hilldash thus far:
Luigi (Holy sh*t)- MISFIRING into a slope causes a FRIGGEN HUGE slide, you can attack freely during the 2nd Half of the slide.
Yoshi (Excellent/Steep Slopes only)- Jumping, then almost immediately Airdodging towards a hil will cause you to immediately touch the ground and slide across it, this is considerable further than Yoshi's Alternative.... yet much less flexable
Yoshi (Excellent/Most Flexible) Roughly Meta Knight's speed
Fox(Excellent/Slow/steeper slopes)- Firefox PERFECTLY HORIZONAL into the hill for maximum range Slows combined movement across a distance to Meta Knight's Speed
Falco (Excellent/Slow/steeper slopes)- Fire Bird Perfectly Horizontal into the hill for maximum results Slightly Faster than Fox's version of this
Lucas (Very Good/Virtualably unuseable?)- (Custom Stage) Backwards DJing into a (probably only steep) slope from below after 1 sparkle will make you land and carry the jumping momentum with you
Captain Falcon (Very Good)- SH Raptor Boost When used at Maximum slide distance, about 1.1x faster than Falcon :O
Jigglypuff (OK/Very Fast/Steep Slopes Only)- Jump while moving up a slope, can be done within 1 frame of each jump to create a new HillDash Speed is equal to Sheik's
Ness (OK, steep hills only) A very Miniscule bit slower than MK
Peach(Bad/Steep Slopes are Fastest)- Float a Milimeter above the ground then go into a ramp
Gannondorf (Bad)- SH Side-B Roughly Wario's Speed
ZS Samus (Bad/quick Spam/Steep Slopes only)- Doing a Down-B up a 45+ degree slope About as Slow as Gannon's Run
Samus(None)- Just an intresting Tidbit, you can spam Down-B while moving up the hill, this causes you to look like your simply Ball-form rolling up the hill while dropping a few Bombs along the Way

Hilldash Stage List:
Note: All of these has been proven to work with Yoshi, not all other characters
They are color organized for usefulness,
Blue-Very Useful
Green- Useful
Yellow- OK
Orange- Inadequate
Red- Virtually Useless

Lylat Cruise (wings, side Platforms are effective while plane is tilting)
New Pork City (all slopes)
Corneria (Wing)

Delfino Plaza (Platforms, missing Pinata statue point- stairs, Island- Sloped Island, Shine Shrine- top part, Buildings- Tilted rooftops, Dolphin with Pool Statue- Stairs)
Mario Circuit (Upper-level)
Summit (Regenerating Ice floor, Entire course while sliding down the mountain)
Green Hill Zone (Half-circle center)
Pirate Ship (Left and right sides)

Yoshi's Island (Brawl) (Platform, Tilted parts at ledges)
Yoshi's Island (Melee) (Pipe, Hill)
Castle Siege (Top area- Middle, Inside- Flags, Underground- Central area)
Temple (Cave of life, slope next to bottom floating platform)
Hanenbow (Leaves after being hit)
Rainbow Cruise (Tip of Ship, Small raising platform close to front of ship, Many slopes through the course)
Brinstar (Platforms when not connected to base, bump at center)

Rumble Falls (Several)
Halberd (During Flight-edges)
Pictochat (Some Drawings)
Onett (Rooftops)
Big Blue (The large aircraft thing's front, all cars while titled on raise)

Pokemon Stadium 2 (Rock-Dirt Clump , Ice-platforms and Electric-edges of conveyor belt)
Pokemon Stadium (Grass- VERY small slope on middle-right side, left side of river; Water- Windmill and Windmill area, Fire- inside the tree, and Earth-bottom and top right-side platforms, Mountain Slope)
Skyworld (Base level left side)
Distant Planet (Left Side, Bulborb snout while mouth is open)

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
The newest Recording deivce I have runs on tapes.
Plus, this is rediculously easy to pull off WITH step-by-step intructions on how to so it right in the post, so i'd assume people would test it or something.

Edit: DKKountry, I dont think its that predicatable, there Are other options to do in a situation like that. There are more options, like, you know, just jump and use an Fair or something, THATS a predicatable option. Hilldashing? Not as much.

Pure-???

Smash Journeyman
Exactly, it's only going to be predictable if you use it over and over.

DKKountry

Smash Ace
Corneria... Fourth Planet of the Lylat System
Or if it's a movement that can only be used on certain parts of certain stages... + only with certain Characters. Don't get me wrong it's a good thing to know, I'm all for knowing everything technically possible in a game, but the wavedash could be used anywhere in the game where there was something to stand on, this is not quite as versatile knowhutImean?

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
ive been testing this with some stage builder parts and it seems that every slope has a hilldash, and each slope's Maximum Hilldash length seems to slightly differ. The HillDash IS a true wavedash now, I was just able to carry the moment over flat blocks. So this is VERY useful on Lylat Cruise.

The HillDash is also possible on Fall-through slopes.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
xDarkElement: If you read any of the posts, you would see that I said it works on Lylat cruise, which as far as i know, is a nuetral stage, therefore, it can be used.

And on a side note, ill try to test how hilldashing affects a fight, Ill try to see how it works with comboing.

Edit: Trying to use Hilldashing to help chain Moves and go twards your fo is extremely difficult, even with only Training CPUs. This may not be as useful as I thought. But maybe someone else would be better at pulling it off, like a Yoshi Main maybe XD

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
its alright. i mean you should tell the yoshi mains on the yoshi boards. i cant get it to work with nayone else. and you cant attack as fast as wd in melee

Revven

FrankerZ
I'm pretty sure you can do this with other characters. Try Bairing with DK on Corneria LOW to the ground, as though you were doing a Double Bair but, missed the second one. The momentum from the air from trying to do the second Bair will push you up the slant. This also works with some other characters, however, I found this impractical and not really worth mentioning. It also works with Ike's Bair... IIRC.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
I just typed up a List of the stage and where it is to put up here, but my computer decided to delete EVERYTHING, so ill just name the stages, and not the Locations due to how long it takes to Type that.

Delfino Plaza
Mario Circuit
Rumble Falls
Yoshis Island (Brawl)
Halberd
Lylat Cruise
Pokemon Stadium 2 (Rock and Grass)
Castle Seige (All Forms)
Distant Planet
New Pork City
Summit
Skyworld
Pictochat (Some Drawings)
Hanenbow
Green Hill Zone
Pirate Ship
Temple
Yoshi's Island (Melee)
Onett
Corneria
Rainbow Cruise
Big Blue
Brinstar
Pokemon Stadium (Grass, Water, Fire, and Earth)

3xSwords

Smash Lord
Like Falco400 I also discovered this a while ago. But I found it not really amazing so I didn't post it. The best place to do this would be Corneria b/c that's like the most legal stage out of all of them. This probably works just like wavedashing except you are converting distance of your jump into movement on the ground which explains why Yoshi can slide really far.

Have you tried anyone else? Ness and Lucas will probably yield similar results b/c they have the same sweeping motion like Yoshi's double jump. I think this tech is only applicaple to characters with jumps that sink a bit then go upwards b/c unless the slope is tilted in more than one angle you will have to DI towards the slope while jumping. This will either
1: Cancel your jump completely and you just start to walk forward (DI'ing to early) or
2: You will gain a sliding distance but won't be that far b/c you used up a lot of momentum from your jump so when you reach the ground there is little sliding effect (DI'ing properly).

Essentially this tech is craq walking (if any of you were here early enough to see its discovery you'd know) for all you others craq walking was basically jumping, then during your jump you DI backwards and when you hit the ground you will slide a bit backwards from your starting position. There was also a sliding effect if you DI'd forward but not as significant. So what this is, is craq walking except you are landing earlier.

Like craq walking I don't see a lot of uses. But for characters like Yoshi who can do it quickly and slide a long distance this may help w/ quick approaches and mindgames. Other than that I have to say this is pretty useless. I could be wrong though :p.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Lylat Cruise is the Most Legal Stage from the list.

And I tested it with Ness and Lucas. It works with ness, but only on steep slopes and doesnt go nearly as far.
But if you find it, you should probably post it, because you'll get beat to the punch on important discoveries. Like this one. It still needs some testing for usefulness though...

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
I discovered this before, but Ididn't care about it.

Ness and Lucas can do it too. Anyone with a wierd double jump can do it.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
When I think of weird Double Jump, Ness, Lucas, and Yoshi all come to mind.
BUT, Lucas doesnt seem capable of doing it. And Ness's only seems to work on steep slopes.
Yoshi can do it on virtually every slope in the game. , and goes much farther than Ness's.
The Yoshi Mainers care, they have a character than everyone thinks is bad and they need something to help them get respect.

Morrigan

/!\<br>\¡/
You can also do this with Peach Bomber though it's not that useful because of the landing lag animation when you miss the attack.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Oops, sorry, Lucas cant do it. I thought I did it once, but I was wrong.

Yoshi can do it more than Ness, but Ness can do it. They slide about the same distance from what I've seen.

And thank goodness you didn't put "wave" in the name :rolleyes:

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Oops, sorry, Lucas cant do it. I thought I did it once, but I was wrong.

Yoshi can do it more than Ness, but Ness can do it. They slide about the same distance from what I've seen.

And thank goodness you didn't put "wave" in the name :rolleyes:
All i did was replave "Wave" with "Hill" =P

Ness also has the steep Slope disadvantage as well. There are only about 2 slopes in the game subtle enough that Yoshi cant use them, Ness cant go on a VERY good chunk of them from ive seen. I made two custom Stages to test this out, and Ness has much less HillDashing areas than Yoshi.

HeoandReo

Smash Apprentice
I think Captain Falcon can do something similar with his Raptor Boost, when he is in the air. (Like a quick short-hop to Raptor Boost)

I think it may also work in Yoshi's Island (Brawl), from the middle to the edges, as it is an upwards slant.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Yes, I tested and that is true, This would also have CF a HillDash, but one thing is different, it doesnt seem that the same forces are Driving CF's Hilldash as Ness's or Yoshi's.'
If you do a double jump with the same amount of Analog time as a Hilldash, they to not get Equidistant results. CF's Raptor Boost does.
On a side note, doing the Raptor Boost-clone-move-thing with Gannon has doesnt end the animation like CF's, but has a small WD at the end.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
I'd give you footage if my newest recording device wasnt a 20-year-old Garage Sale-esque Camera.

Someone else will have to get off their lazy butt and try it =P

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Just a note, ill move the stage to the front page, then update it if I find a new spot.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
HillDashing is about going UP a hill with a Wavedash-like effect, not going down.

Smasher89

Smash Lord
You can also do this with Peach Bomber though it's not that useful because of the landing lag animation when you miss the attack.
OK I don´t get really how the hilldash technique works, but is there a possibility to ISJR the peachbomber to get the right animation?

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Anything under "unique" in the first page section doesnt work much like the Others, a SH Peach Bomber Moves up a slope 5 times faster+ than Peach can run, making it useful, if you are in the situation (Like at Yoshi's Island Melee) where you can lose the lag from falling off the edge, it connects to a fast Floating edgeguard.
Sum it up:
Peach's HillDash is only good for Edgeguarding.

Edit: I experimented a bit more with The Peach Bomber HillDash, Now that I look more closely, it doesnt fit the bill, its now been removed from the list, more experimenting also made me remove Meta Knight.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Just some extra knowledge, you can Reverse-HillDash as well. Simply short-hop fast fall, and you'll get a WaveDash like slide!

I'll post a video in a bit!

Here's the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJv7if8tUu0
THANK YOU FOR THE VIDEO

I needed one.

And the Reverse-HillDash is good to have in the thread, even though its about as old as when someonefirst FF on a hill =P (Febuary)

On a side note, Im measuring Maximum speeds attained by rapidly HillDashing, Jigglypuff is as fast as Sheik from it.

Edit: Speeds Measured

Unusual_Rex

Smash Journeyman
You get the best reverse-HillDash if you fast-fall and hold down on an angle at the very lip of a hill. The Reverse can be done facing either way as well.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Hilldashing is more used as an approach, reverse hilldashing I guess would be better for escapes possibly?
Hmm.. its pretty slow to jump then wait for you to fall as an escape, so it doesnt seems to work too well.

But its just a 4-month-old known mechanic that you like calling reverse-HillDashing, And its uses have already been scanned, its a bit late for you to try to bring it up now.

(Not being mean, just honest)

And if the edit was not noticed, I have the new speeds up.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Does it count as a hilldash if you experience lag after an attack you used to dash?
If so, Nes can do it on any slope with PKF since it cancels his double jump.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
This was discovered by the Sonic forums ages ago.
Except he uses an SJC.

its nothing new and doesn't have much application.
Mainly since the requirement is somewhat strict and lacks splashability.
Well rather it cannot be used as greatly or for a variety of uses.

More often than not its more reliable as a spacing tool rather than one for attacking, at which point some characters like Snake, Link, Sonic have other methods.

*shrug*

Top Bottom