• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Crazy Walkin, New Dash Dance, TardTrotting, Whatever you call it

feardragon64

Smash Champion
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=174137

If this turns out to be something bit....
Think of useful this could be for marth's spacing game.
In other words, you can practically APPROACH with dtilts?
Possibly another way to space fsmashs?
Even MORE range on shieldbreakers?
Mindgames?
No tripping? LOL

Anyways, there are disadvantages such as with marth you'll probably end up going slower than usual, and well...I'm sorry but if this is where brawl's metagame goes then we're going to look like a bunch of *******....but still

What are your guys' thoughts on this?
Good?
Bad?
Usefulness for Marth in particular?

feardragon64

Smash Champion
Just fiddled with it. While I'll admit I haven't done enough with it yet, and I plan on doing more, it's not as great as I had hoped. Marth doesn't gain much ground(unless I just suck at it, which is entirely probable). Also, for some reason his attacks come out slower than if he was just walking normally. That might be a problem with me, but I'll do some more testing.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
This is funny looking, but I wonder if Lucario, my other main, will benefit from this? (prolly not, he has extreme anti-slip).

BrawlBro

Smash Ace
its hard to tell at this point, I just dont see it being that useful I mean you dont really slide that much plus marths foxtrot is so useful because you can do things like fsmash out of it X_X

BVA

Smash Apprentice
Could be used for spacing. Fair -> walk -> Dancing blade :)

Ulevo

Smash Master
I don't mean to be the pessimistic one here, but are you actually serious? This goes to show how desperate people are to discover and/or take credit from new AT's, rather than actually advancing the game properly.

New AT! Walking and turning around! Whahoo!

OmegaSephiroth

Smash Journeyman
I don't mean to be the pessimistic one here, but are you actually serious? This goes to show how desperate people are to discover and/or take credit from new AT's, rather than actually advancing the game properly.

Welcome to the world of SSBB, where everything is shallow.

feardragon64

Smash Champion

Lol, ya, I do think I'm kinda pathetic for believing in this stuff. But at the same time, realize I'm not suggesting we all start walking and turning around like a bunch of nuts in all our matches now. I think it's worth discussing it, even slightly. Honestly, I don't see much use for it past doing one of these and then going into a dtilt and shieldbreaker because it gives them even more range than before(like giving a ten foot pole another two feet).

And ya, I think ultimately in brawl, how you play is going to affect the outcome of the game more than what you play with(and I hope it stays that way). But again, just because it looks stupid doesn't mean we shouldn't give it any thought whatsoever. =] (besides, it only looks stupid when you do it repeatedly...lol)

Anyways, if you guys truly feel like it has no use them please say so. I think we ALL agree that it looks incredibly ******** and it's probably not something we should change our entire playstyle for. So instead of having another 10 to 20 people saying that over and over, what are your actual thoughts on this as a tool?

FishkeeperTimmay!

Smash Ace

Do remember that when Wavedashing was discovered, many people went;

"Airdodging into the ground? Whahoo!"

Then people started applying it and realized that being able to move while attacking/defending is sweet. This allows you to do that, consistently. It just looks silly. ^^

Still, only a few characters really benefit from it (those with bad traction), so it won't be as metagame breaking as wavedashing, I'm sure.

KingMak

Smash Cadet
When I fist saw it, I thought it was really pointless. But when I started to practice it, it was really nice. It's faster than walking for Marth, and near his dash speed. It's really nice to not have to dash everywhere, and you can pull any move out of a walk. Overall though, I think it's made me more patient, and honestly, a bit better.

GhettoSheep

Smash Journeyman
How silly it looks doesn't have anything to do with how useful it is. I can definitely see applications for this "AT" It's not quite as fast as a wavedash, and it doesn't go quite as far. But in essence it is the same idea. Moving while in a standing position. If it was used sparingly, it would be great to surprise your opponent with a shieldbreaker for a quick kill. This could definitely be mindgame material if people really tried to refine it.

FishkeeperTimmay!

Smash Ace
If this can be done to be faster than a full speed walk... then it will have potential, no other way will it have potential. So far, I can't make it go that fast.

Is anyone else having luck? I swear, if we can just make it faster than walking... its practical!

ZHMT

Smash Lord
NNID
zeeehmtee
Looks like mindgame potential, however not a substitute for movement. Simply because of its speed.

feardragon64

Smash Champion
If this can be done to be faster than a full speed walk... then it will have potential, no other way will it have potential. So far, I can't make it go that fast.

Is anyone else having luck? I swear, if we can just make it faster than walking... its practical!

The start-up is an small bit slower than walking, but if you practice it a bit, it's faster than walking. As KingMak said, if you really practice it, you can almost get it to dashing speed(I'm no anywhere near there though. I can do about 4 or 5 back to back and get it about 1/2 to 3/4 dashing speed, so it's still faster than walking and it gives you, essentially IASA frames even though that's not the correct term for these since it's not interupting an animation xD)

Anyways, just thought I'd share a short story. I was REALLY eager to see if it was at ALL useful in a match...but I couldn't find anyone to go against...(swf finder didn't have anyone near me =[ ) so I went onto the dreaded normal random match-ups on brawl...Got into a four person brawl, tried it out with four people stabbing everyone(totally useless since I couldn't pull it off). Finally it came to a sudden death round and I tried it. Person seemed kinda freaked out by it so he just kinda rushed at me. I pulled out a dtilt after about 2 of them and he didn't bother shielding since I guess he assumed it was out of reach(or maybe he just didn't expect a dtilt). Either way, it barely even tipped cause I was pretty close in after the slide. Guess it might be useful for SOMETHING =b

Ulevo

Smash Master
This isn't practical for competitive use at all. It's too slow to match the speed of shuffling, and walking normally leaves you far less vulnerable since you're not spinning around like a drunk. I don't even know why people are looking for a Dash Dance replacement. Dash Dancing is still a very good option, and you rarely ever trip despite the increased chance.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
This isn't practical for competitive use at all. It's too slow to match the speed of shuffling, and walking normally leaves you far less vulnerable since you're not spinning around like a drunk. I don't even know why people are looking for a Dash Dance replacement. Dash Dancing is still a very good option, and you rarely ever trip despite the increased chance.
Yeah, i much prefer the fox trot pivot for a dash dance. I hardly ever trip when i do it.

FishkeeperTimmay!

Smash Ace

It would be very good for competitive use if it can go FASTER than walking, because you have extra speed with a similar number of options. I don't see it as a Dash Dance replacement, its more practically compared to Wavedashing, which allowed you to move while being able to respond to situations.

3xSwords

Smash Lord
^Not really. You'll probably be to busy concentrating on twirling your control stick to be able to respond quickly XD.

feardragon64

Smash Champion
^Not really. You'll probably be to busy concentrating on twirling your control stick to be able to respond quickly XD.
Lol I wouldn't worry too much about that. I mean, it's not THAT hard. From what I've tried, implementing wavedashing in melee was harder than using this. Like I said before, it's not something to spam horribly. You do it a few times for some extra walking range, and it's pretty easy to attack out of once you get the timing right for doing it(and it's incredibly easy to cancel out of =b)

Top Bottom