• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

List of Pun(ch)isable moves!

Tenki

Smash Hero
Hi guys, I'm thinking that Falcon needs to use Falcon Punch more, so this is going to be a list of moves (you better contribute) that Falcon can hit with a Falcon Punch if you either predict them and start slightly earlier, or start at about the same time.

PUNCH TIPS!
- If you press jump (full hop) and special at the same time, you'll execute it juust before you land.
- Shorthops, Full hops, etc. Don't be afraid to do one off-stage! Doing it when they least expect it is when it's best!
- Just like anything, unpredictable jumps can land you some hits! I've done stupid things like full hop in place/slightly backwards and hit Falcon Punches on whiffed dash attacks! XD it's too good.
- If they're on the edge, chances are they'll roll behind you if you jump+Falcon Punch at them. In otherwords, techpredict ftw.

General:
RECOVERY:
- Any recovery that leaves the opponent unable to attack afterwards (high fallers)
- Tether recoveries: you can start early and predict where they'll immediately be when they're under the edge. Some, like Olimar/Link/TL have longer times to 'reel' themselves to the edge. Even Popo can be hit out of this while he's floating off stage throwing Nana on.
- Predictable recoveries like Falco/Fox Illusion- space yourself correctly and you can land a Falcon Punch as they start their teleport.

Character Specific
Sheik/PT/Samus-ZSS: Transformation/switch

For most of these, you either have to predict their startup or start at the same time.

Dedede: Neutral B, Up-B
Falco: Side-B, Up-B
Fox: Side-B, Up-B
Ganondorf: Warlock Punch (both normal/reverse), U-tilt
Ivysaur: Bullet Seed
Jigglypuff: Up-B, Down-B, Neutral B (MUST be on edge, since they tend to turn around when approaching edges, cancelling their attack box)
Kirby: Neutral B, Rock
Link: Aerial up-B, U-smash, D-air, Tether Grab
Lucas: PK fire, U-smash, Whiffed PK-thunder
Luigi: Up-B
Ness: PK fire (short hop over it!), Yoyo (U-smash/D-smash), Whiffed PK-thunder
Pikachu: Thunder (only if Pikachu does it while he's moving!), D-smash (?)
Samus: Tether Grab
Sheik: Teleport, Side-B
Snake: F-smash, U-smash (bait it!), taunt, Nikita, Cypher (lol), Aerial attacks (Landing lag)
Sonic: U-smash, D-smash,
Toon Link: Aerial up-B, D-air, Tether Grab
Wario: Bike recovery (Aim above the bike and try to catch him out of the jump)
Wolf: Up-B, Side-B (try to catch him Scarring, or if you see him doing a high side-B recovery)
Yoshi: Side-B (MUST be on edge, since they tend to turn around when approaching edges, cancelling their attack box)
Zelda: U-smash
Zero Suit Samus: Tether Grab

DarkKyanite

Smash Journeyman
at first when i saw the thread title, i thoguht this is another dumb thread. but all these r really useful information. most falcon mainers have a habit of not using the epic punch at all, and when we do, ppl think that we r playing down on them. let's find out how to falcon punch every char and make falcon top tier !! lol

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
No! You can't punch through Pika's Thunder while it hits him! Only punch him if he's moving so that he misses himself! He has no lag once the hit frames end, too, if I remember right.

...I think I'm going to make a list of moves that clash/go through the Falcon Punch.

Also, Pawnch G&W. G&W always falls for it. ALWAYS.

To be more specific, G&W will almost always try to beat you out of the Falcon Punch for some reason. Every G&W I've played falls for this, and even some who don't normally play as G&W. I'm thinking it has something to do with too much faith in his disjointed hitboxes and a habit of attacking shields. The Pawnch cleaves through his aerials so long as you at least clip his feet with the bird, but either something's wrong with me, or I've noticed that the wings don't normally do damage, or maybe I'm just having a brainfart right now, but either way don't rely on the wings. Just know that it's very easy to KO a G&W with the Pawnch, especially with his light weight. Just save it for a KO at a low % and/or at the beginning of the match! :D

I love how the Pawnch's startup time makes it the perfect move to punish nearly any predicted whiffed move that isn't called the Reflector.

Tenki

Smash Hero
No! You can't punch through Pika's Thunder while it hits him! Only punch him if he's moving so that he misses himself! He has no lag once the hit frames end, too, if I remember right.

...I think I'm going to make a list of moves that clash/go through the Falcon Punch.
Yeah, should have made a note of that lol.

Just post your list here, and I'll just add it to the main thread. There are too many moves that clang with the Falcon Punch, so it'll be easier to find a list of moves that go through it altogether. @_@

Also, Pawnch G&W. G&W always falls for it. ALWAYS.

To be more specific, G&W will almost always try to beat you out of the Falcon Punch for some reason. Every G&W I've played falls for this, and even some who don't normally play as G&W. I'm thinking it has something to do with too much faith in his disjointed hitboxes and a habit of attacking shields. The Pawnch cleaves through his aerials so long as you at least clip his feet with the bird, but either something's wrong with me, or I've noticed that the wings don't normally do damage, or maybe I'm just having a brainfart right now, but either way don't rely on the wings. Just know that it's very easy to KO a G&W with the Pawnch, especially with his light weight. Just save it for a KO at a low % and/or at the beginning of the match! :D

I love how the Pawnch's startup time makes it the perfect move to punish nearly any predicted whiffed move that isn't called the Reflector.
Wings don't do damage lol.

BTW, I had a fight against a Kirby, and he literally ate a Falcon Punch :x

it was too good lol. I was at 150% and he was at 100, SH Falcon Punch while he was trying to use neutral B and I tipped him ftw.

So I'm adding that to the list.

I'm going to assume Dedede has that weakness too.

Red Alloy

Smash Apprentice
Another Falcon/Kirby could get trapped in the lag of their own falcon punch and be punched themselves.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Pokemon Trainer's Pokemon Change is extremely obvious if they're stupid enough to change when you're close enough or if they let Squirtle get fatigued.

Also, a friend of mine decided to be an *** and Pawnched me out of my ExtremeSpeed once, although I wouldn't recommend trying to replicate it unless you're **** sure about Lucario's curve or the startup.

Also, if I remember right, doesn't the Punch go through Pit's Angel Ring? Or did it only clash? It might've clashed.

Slash the stone from that list. I'm pretty darn sure the Punch doesn't go through it, coupled with Kirby's annoying ability to cancel it early into an aerial. D:

Pawnching the backs of Dash Attacks and Fsmashes from anyone is also an awesome experience.

Oh, and make full note that G&W's fair at least is completely eaten by the Pawnch. I can't test it now, but I'm pretty sure that the bair, nair, might've been canceled out. The Dair has to be spaced perfectly so that the key misses your face and that you hit him through the side, but its possible to Pawnch him out of it if he misinterprets his movement ability and lands in front of you or behind you by accident. Happens more often than you'd think due to Falcon's speed if they think they can intercept your next move with a key.

Also, you can Pawnch an Ivysaur's whiffed Bullet Seed very easily if she's stupid enough to spam it predictably.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Yeah, you can't hit Kirby out of the rock, but I think if you do a reverse punch, you might catch them releasing it early or outlast the timer on it.

I think it clashes with Angel Ring.

YES! Punching smashes are awesome xD. Edgeguarder charging U-smash = PAWWWWWWNCH! I've got a few in mind for those =]

For G&W F-air, did you hit him when he was on the floor, or in midair? Since you sound unsure, I'll hold off on adding it until it's confirmed by someone else.

I've got a few more additions too:
Link D-air/U-smash, Toon Link D-air/aerial up-B

Some that I think work similar to these (Long commitment time and/or landing lag):
Snake aerials, Zelda Usmash, Sonic Usmash/Dsmash, Luigi up-B, Jigglypuff Rest/Sing (duh!)

Added Jigglypuff's Rollout (neutral B) and Yoshi's side-B - rolling attacks, but you can mindgame into it if you're on the edge, cause they tend to turn around when they're near the edges =)

And I alphabetized the list xD

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
For G&W F-air, did you hit him when he was on the floor, or in midair? Since you sound unsure, I'll hold off on adding it until it's confirmed by someone else.
While he's in the air. I specifically remember him usually short-hopping it into a waiting Pawnch on multiple occasions, or him trying to beat me to the Pawnch and failing.

Tenki

Smash Hero
On a silly note, a simple mindgame that I got someone (who was pretty dash-attack-happy) with:

(half way across the level) Dsmash [miss] > Jump+reverse punch to counter the dash-attack

>__> apparently it works very well on moves with high commitment, like Falcon Kick/Raptor Boost lol

Wogrim

Smash Lord
Sometimes what works for me is instead of dodging/rolling/blocking a smash, I jump straight up and Falcon Punch (works against smashes with hitboxes that are low to the ground).

Tenki

Smash Hero
So... you guys should definitely learn the ledge attack range for most characters. So you can Falcon Punch a whiffed LA.

Wogrim

Smash Lord
So... you guys should definitely learn the ledge attack range for most characters. So you can Falcon Punch a whiffed LA.
I know Falcon has 2 ledge attacks (a punch and a kick); don't all the other characters have 2? Because I don't think they have the same range....

For low-hitbox ledge attacks, you can jump over them and Falcon Punch instead of worrying about their range.

Red Alloy

Smash Apprentice
I know Falcon has 2 ledge attacks (a punch and a kick); don't all the other characters have 2? Because I don't think they have the same range....

For low-hitbox ledge attacks, you can jump over them and Falcon Punch instead of worrying about their range.
All characters have one for below/above 100%. While I think that would be a lot of work, it would also be worth it to learn those things.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Oh, anyone try doing reverse reverse Falcon Punch recoveries? The Ganondorf forums discovered it's quite awesome if you DIed a hit right.

Wogrim

Smash Lord
Oh, anyone try doing reverse reverse Falcon Punch recoveries? The Ganondorf forums discovered it's quite awesome if you DIed a hit right.
If you mean Falcon Punch while you're coming down from the top of the screen, then yes. I realized how good it would be when I was fighting Fox yesterday, who kept trying to UAir me, and then I also tried it some more when he tried to use his FAir offstage, since it lasts a long time.

Unfortunately you have to use the reverse one to get DI. It will often scare off edgegaurders, and if they think they're going to punish it you DI away so they come up short. As long as your opponent is in the air with you and you finish before getting back to the ground it is hard to punish.

I wasn't too successful, but the game was too laggy for me to get the hadoken edgehog to work so I was probably just not getting my DI as reactive as I need it.

So anyways yeah it helps prevent juggles and helps you recover.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Added Ness's yoyo moves and Ness/Lucas Whiffed PK-thunder to the list.

Also, Wario's bike recovery.

F5Hazardousdoc

Smash Ace
A few have predictable LA, like marths and Ikes. Others are harder to punish, like DKs. And some character NEVER LA *Metaknight rarely ever LAs, along with samus* If somebody sees you trying to punish LAs, they'll probably just dbl jump off the ledge back on and get a free punch lag punish.

Tenki

Smash Hero
A few have predictable LA, like marths and Ikes. Others are harder to punish, like DKs. And some character NEVER LA *Metaknight rarely ever LAs, along with samus* If somebody sees you trying to punish LAs, they'll probably just dbl jump off the ledge back on and get a free punch lag punish.
DK's 100%+ LA is much shorter range. I remember landing a FP on a DK's LA.

Red Alloy

Smash Apprentice
yah... DK is one of the easier matchups I feel for falcon. Ike too.
Not DK. Better range, stronger, fast for his size, very campy...

Although you can string nairs if you're lucky... That's not much in our favor, though. 6-4 for DK, I'd call it.

Ike is more like 5.5-4.5. Slower than DK (I think...), most moves are laggy and punishable, and easily gimped.

Top Bottom