• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Jiggs Matchups

__G__

Smash Cadet
This thread is about what I think the tougher matchups of Jiggs are. There are only about a third (12) of the characters mentioned because I have enough faith in the Jiggs players to know how to play characters like Samus, Link, or Yoshi.

I have included what I've said in my other thread, just copied and pasted, so you won't have to go looking through multiple threads to find a character you want. If you, however, want to know about a character not included here, PM me, or comment here and I'll update it as it goes.

Hope these help.

Pit
You have to stay close to Pit, but not too far away. Think of it as far enough away to not get hit by his smashes, but close enough so you can bair him in the face if he tries to shoot you with an arrow. Try to live in this area. The way to attack Pit is to aim high. Always try to bair/fair him in the head, as to avoid the brunt of his f-smash. However, I do not mean to say you should approach from above him, Pit's u-smash has too much reach. You really need to be great in spacing for this fight because Pit will shield and then f-smash/d-smash whenever he can, so you have to be out of his range - which isn't too hard with Jiggs' DI. Then, and here is the most important part, you have to be great at the dair to rest combo, because Pit will just not die sometimes. The best kill move I have found, is to pick your time, dair and then rest him when he's at about 60%. It should kill him, depending on the stage.

I suggest playing defensively for the most of this match, just staying in that mid-range area and going for an attack when you see the chance and then getting out of there. Of course, if you want to be more aggressive and always chase him, then i would suggest to be very weary of Pit's dair and u-air. Those things have such great priority and range that it makes it really tough to attack through them; same with his bair and fair, but just add that those are great killing moves, two of Pit's best.

It's especially tough because Pit is an aerial fighter too, but with great attacks from all his directions, he's stronger, and he can stay in the air longer. The best thing I can say about this fight is that you need to play it a lot so you can really get to know Pit - you'll probably lose a lot, but that has to happen, just try to learn from it. Experience and trial and error worked for me.

MK
MK is one of the tougher match-ups Jiggs has. MK wins with his speed, priority and attacks that can hit you when he's not even facing you. But, you can overcome the disadvantages with defensive playing. Shield grabbing and very well spaced aerials will win you the match. Also, if you may get lucky and get a good WOP from a back throw off the stage, but dont always chase it. It's an uphill battle, but possible. Also, if it comes up, Jiggs' pound beats MK's Mach Tornado, so keep that in mind.

What I have to tell you about Marth is almost the same strategy, and it will be for probably a lot of the characters with which Jiggs has trouble. Stay out of the sword range and still close enough to get a good bair/fair in after the f-smash, but watch out for those tippers. Devastating. Pound is a nice approach sometimes, and it sets him up for a couple more aerials, but be careful.

Ike
As for Ike, well, I love playing against the fatties (Ike, 3D, bowser, etc.). These characters are when Jiggs just goes all out. Yes, they are ungodly strong, but you have speed on your side and you have to use it. Do not let them get off smashes - or anything else for that matter. If you can get a hit off of Ike, then you can get more. If Ike goes off the stage, follow him and watch him, all his moves take a while and are noticeable when starting (except the bair, but when trying to get back to the stage, that most likely won't come out). If you want to take the hit, you can also just get in front of Ike's forward-b, which is usually his main way for getting back onto the stage. If it gets intercepted by you, then he'll just fall to his death. You just need to make sure it isn't going to kill you in the process (unless you're good with a trade lol).

Wolf
Anyway, to start, let me say that Wolf will beat you on the ground. If you get close to him, he can use any of his smashes or his laser to attack you, if you try to attack him with a fair/bair and then land away from him, Wolf can follow that up with a forward smash before you have a chance to dodge or shield, and if you stay away from him, he can laser spam you (something you cannot duck under as with Falco).

These things being said, if you stay in the air, you should be able to beat him. If you just keep jumping after a fair/bair attack, you should stay out of his range (but be careful, if you're too close to him, he will u-smash you). I suggest staying away from him on the ground, shielding what you can and following it up with a nair out of shield (trying to get him off the ledge), or getting him into the air with a throw. Then, once Wolf is in the air, you should be able to gimp him or get some u-air combos or even a WOP if you're lucky. The best thing about this matchup is Wolf's crappy recovery. If you can manage to get him off the stage and then follow it up by stopping his recovery a couple times, he should be at a loss.

As for the pound approach, I can't recommend doing it as a regular thing. Yes, it does have great priority and reach, but if you miss, you are way too wide open. Your opponent can even shield and come back with a f-smash. There are just too many, much more negative, possibilities if you miss/get shielded.

Snake
Snake is annoying as hell to fight. Everything you're used to with chasing the person into the air now becomes something you don't want to do. The reasoning behind this is that Snake's aerials have longer range, more strength, and higher priority than Jiggs'. Even better, if Snake uses his up-b, on account of his super armor, you will not be able to fair him into death unless he's at a high percentage. Also, if you get knocked away, Snake is able to toss out almost any attack to follow up. So, in short, my strategy for Snake is to mainly stay on the ground.

While on the ground, however, you must be weary of his triple-a attack, his dash attack, his f-tilt (which hits twice), and any explosives that he has set around the stage - which is probably going to be bad for you because the five neutral stages are all pretty small, which makes those bombs slightly hard to avoid sometimes. Those are his best weapons when on the ground. Snake's smashes are good too, but the f-smash is hard to get hit by since it takes so long to start (he probably won't even use it unless you're sleeping or he's really prepared for you to be somewhere), and the up-smash is usually pretty easy to avoid with an air dodge (even with his smash boosting and with lots of them being thrown up).

To attack Snake, spacing and getting a couple bairs/fairs is how you should play as to stay away from his damaging attacks. Attack while floating around at his head level so you can avoid any explosives on the ground and the first part of his tilt. Luckily, Snake, like Ike, is someone who you can start hitting and keep hitting.

Space Animals
This will be for the other Spacies besides Wolf, and I’m going to include them in one section because the strategies are pretty similar. With Falco, if you want to play defensively, you can just duck under all his lasers, and make him approach you (which is something I almost recommend because approaching him is usually the only major problem). The only attacks he’ll be able to do to you if he doesn’t want to get too close are his reflector and his side-b. If he decides to get close enough, then you can you can go all out on him and do what you normally do. If, on the other hand, he decides to attack with that shine move, he’ll be at a pretty big disadvantage since there’s a lot of finishing lag, and you can attack him in the middle of it – say with a fair that’s sticking out.

Also, with the recovery, you can gimp Falco pretty easily, especially since he has a terrible one. Now, with Fox, you do have to be a little more careful, on account of the speed advantage, but the approach shouldn’t be a problem because Fox’s lasers don’t have any stun to them. What you do have to watch out for is Fox following you up in the air and attacking with his u-air (good kill move, hazardous to Jiggs). So, I suggest keep moving around in the air, using your DI to your advantage. Also, don’t worry about getting far away from him again, his lasers won’t hit you when you duck, and he’s easy to approach. Just practice that spacing, and throwing out those attacks.

Game & Watch
Pretty big pain. Short hopped bairs, down throw to down smash, the side-b hammer, great nair, great dair. These are the troublesome attacks. So, try to stay away from him. Come at G&W with well-spaced bairs and then get out of there after a couple hits. Follow him into the air, but not directly beneath him, get to the side and you should be able to attack him with a bair/fair or miss him as he zooms down with his dair. When he comes at you with the bair, I say shield it and then grab him if you can, but be careful because it stays out for a very long time and, obviously, I don’t have to remind you of the problem with a shield break. With his u-air, air dodge out of the way, get to the ground, then avoid the bair which will inevitably come, and go at him.

This opponent just has a lot of good attacks that you need to watch out for, but no special way of playing against him that you should adhere to other than the spacing and bairs.

The best way is just to get that experience and then the ability to see what attacks are coming, so if you have problems with G&W, then just keep playing with him and you’ll see what attacks you should avoid.

Olimar
Olimar is a great character, but easily dealt with. First off, Never use rollout – he can just throw some pikmin out in front of him, causing you to stop rolling when you hit them instead, and then you’ll be at a huge disadvantage. The worst thing about Olimar is his ability to get that damage up on you, and then he’ll finish you off with one of his several strong moves. I have had matches with me not getting a hit off before he killed me (rare, but it happens). The good news is that you can pretty much overcome all his aerials. You have straight up priority over his dair with your u-air, but drop down a little after you use it if you wanted to use it again because he can come at you with another dair before you can u-air again. Similarly, your fair is better, and your bair has longer reach than any of his aerials, so you can get a lot of well spaced bairs in – as well as a nice WOP.

Other disadvantages are that his u-smash and f-smash look the same when charging, so you can’t tell the difference, which might cause some problems; also, if you’re hanging on the ledge, he can just toss out several pikmin which can still hit when they fall through the air. Of course, if the tables are turned, and he’s out in the air, you can hit him a couple times and then just grab on that ledge, since tether recoveries are so easily gimpable.

Pokemon Trainer
If you haven’t fought a good Pokemon trainer, it’s because there aren’t many. But, once you find one, it can get a little tough. Plus, the stamina comes into effect eventually, and that makes his throws less effective.

Squirtle has air speed and priority over you, Ivysaur can out reach you, get you stuck in that **** seed shooter of his, and shoot a razor leaf to stop your roll, and Charizard can kill you very easily with his rock smash, he’s hard to kill, has fire breath for anti-roll, and has super armor on his up-b. Also, the down throws of Squirtle and Charizard are good kill moves.

With Squirtle, you’ll want to stay on the ground and use lots of shield grabs – seriously, lots and lots of grabs – to bother your opponent, and it’s just safer since you can’t really follow him up in the air, so this is a good source of damage. Of course, you can use your DI to attack right after Squirtle does when in the air, and throw out a bair, but you must make sure to go in to lure his attack, get out to avoid it, then go back in quick to attack him. The aerials are the only big problem. When on the ground, watch out for grabs, but that’s really it.

Ivysaur is the easiest. His dair/u-air have better priority/range than yours, so stay away from top and bottom; also, use the same luring trick to get Ivysaur to use his fair (it’s a killing move, be careful). When on the ground, get a grab/dash attack in after his f-smash, since it takes so long, and when you got him in the air, ledge hog to gimp him.

Charizard is just annoying. I’ve had that **** rock smash do about 50% on me, and you have to get him pretty high in order to kill. You gotta watch out for his f-smash too, because that’s very damaging, but it has a lot of lag time, so you can get him either right before, if you’re quick, or right after. The best thing about Charizrd is his fattiness, so you can get a few hits at a time, and he’s pretty easy to dair to rest once he’s at about 100%.

R.O.B.
ROB can keep you at bay with his laser and down-b gyro thing, and then when you get close, he has a nice, clearing down smash which lasts a long time if you try to shield through it, and has good range on both sides. The trick with ROB is to stay in the air, really close to him, when he’s on the ground, so as to avoid the projectile spamming and the d-smash. Do not land near him, the d-smash is worse than the gyro or the laser, so if you have a choice, choose the projectiles. Once again, since this guy is big, it makes the dair to rest combo a lot easier, so keep that in mind since ROB’s recovery is so good.

In the air, watch out for the dair (which spikes) and nair (which hits all around). You can get some good WOPs off, since he’s not the fastest opponent, but you have to watch for these moves, and make sure you don’t approach him from below. I’d say in the air, you still have the advantage, but the ground is more ROB’s territory.

Toon Link
Nothing too special here, so it won’t be a long section, but Toon Link is a good character, so you might have trouble with him. You should know to watch out for the dair, and that the bair (his mini-WOP) hurts a lot. On the ground, stay close to him as to avoid any constant flow of projectiles, use grabs to get him off the stage and set up for a WOP, watch out for the d-smash/u-smash. In the air, his u-air is killer, so don’t fall on him lol.

Pretty easy stuff to avoid, if you have any experience with Toon Link. Then once you are able to avoid all this stuff, just come at him like any other opponent not on this list.

Wario
Wario is the one I have the least experience with, but he’s a great character. It’s like fighting a stronger, better DI-ing Jiggs. The only move he has from Jiggs which is worse than Jiggs’ is his version of rollout (his motorcycle), on which he can still do wheelies and taunts, so I guess that’s really up for debate lol. Wario’s short hopped dair will probably be a staple move for your opponent, as well as with other short hopped aerial combos (like fair, fair, nair), and his u-air is a great killing move. As for strategies against him, stay on the ground and play defensively. Maybe duck a lot to avoid some aerial attacks, but you can probably just shield and hope he doesn’t land too far away.

Really, the best advice I have for beating Wario is just to stay out of the air, he wins.

Retro Gaming

Black and White Thinking
I used to play Jigglypuff in Melee and a little bit at the start of Brawl, but have since changed to Pokemon Trainer. I don't think that your description is completely accurate for the PT, in special regards to Ivysaur.

Your description of Squirtle is very accurate, yet, his ground game is still useable. In addition to grabs, you must also be on the alert for his jabs, Ftilt, and Usmash. Squirtle is capable of sliding large distances while using his Usmash (Hydro-planing) and it is one of his most powerful kill moves. However, it is very predictable if you know it's coming. His jabs can be linked from a Fair at lower percents, and his Ftilt has good range, considering some of Squirtle's other options. Although not especially threatening, do not ever think all you must avoid on land is Squirtle's grab (Dthrow kills).

Ivysaur will be the most difficult fight for Jigglypuff, not the easiest. Ivysaur's spacing game is very powerful, and Jigglypuff has no disjointed hit-boxes to speak of. Ivysaur's Bair will do very well to out-range anything Jigglypuff is capable of dishing out. On the ground, Ivysaur will be outspacing you with his Ftilt primarily, and it will be difficult for you to approach there. Approaching from above will get you a face-full of Bullet Seed or Utilt. Approaching from a diagonal angle will probably be the safest approach, but always be wary of the Bair. You will be incapable of baiting versus Ivysaur most often, as it will often force you to approach with Razor Leaf. Ivysaur's grab range is also large, though is very laggy if missed. Ivysaur will probably use Dthrow to get you in the air, but you must watch out for Bair as a killing throw (Though not as powerful as either of the other two Pokemon, should be able to kill from the edge.) If possible, grab Ivsaur and get it in the air, as that is where it is weakest from below (Dair is a horribly laggy move). In addition, Ivysaur has a very weak air game in general.

Charizard will rarely be using his Fsmash for kills, yet you should watch out for his Usmash. Approaching Charizard from the air is dangerous, as Usmash will send you flying, though Utilt is equally as dangerous at lower percents, and may lead into Uair or Bair. All of Charizard's tilts are dangerous in general, with all having kill potential, especially on someone as light as Jigglypuff. His Dsmash will punish you if you try to roll, though his jabs will also repel you. Charizard will rarely attack a grounded opponent with aerials, though will be much more liberal in their use if you are also in the air. Fair and Bair are powerful killing tools, and Dair is an effective spike. Charizard's grab range is also very powerful, and he will probably use them all (Again, Dthrow is a killer). However, Charizard is also weak to aerial approaches from below, and it is my suggested approach for Jigglypuff.

This is in addition to everything else you've already written.

__G__

Smash Cadet
Good stuff, Retro Gaming, I just wrote from what the PT players have done that I know, but they're not skilled, so it's good to know people from other threads come here and give more information about characters.

I can only hope Wario players come here too. lol.

tEhrXXz0r

Smash Journeyman
Thank you for this guide. Seriously, I've been looking for this for a looooong time! :D

Sticky please!

Edit: I see no Pikachu...?? But you're in luck, because I happen to (primarily) main Pikachu AND Jigglypuff! :) Just ask me if you guys need the advice.

__G__

Smash Cadet
yea i did. which is why i was able to write anything. But, our match was over pretty quickly, and then we didnt play again. I also lost pretty quickly because he was the first wario I played against.

And yea, he was very good.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Yea, I don't like playing King Dedede. Also, I didn't like the wario guide, but I liked all the others. I find that you have to stay in the air with wario, even if he has priority on some moves, because Jiggs ground game is so abyssmal.

__G__

Smash Cadet
Yea, I don't like playing King Dedede. Also, I didn't like the wario guide, but I liked all the others. I find that you have to stay in the air with wario, even if he has priority on some moves, because Jiggs ground game is so abyssmal.
Thanks for reading the guides and thinking most of them are good, but I can't agree with what you say about Jiggs' ground game being abysmal. She has great throws and dash attack. True, terrible triple-a combo (double-a), and not very good tilts (especially now since the up tilt doesn't really combo into anything), but her grabs and dash attack make up for it, also combined with the nair out of shielding (which is something I'll include as a ground attack since it's almost just like of a shield grab).

Certainly, Jiggs is better suited to stay in the air, but so is Wario. That's the problem. I think, with a good Wario, you'll need to play a little more defensively and stay on the ground more than you're used to on account of Wario having such a great air game.

__G__

Smash Cadet
Well, I'm glad to hear there are more things to do against Wario which will lead into combos. And, obviously, I'm not recommending doing nothing but dash attacks and grabs, those were just mentioned to show Jiggs' ground game as not being so bad, as well as to imply that those are attacks that can lead into air combos, Jiggs' specialty.

LaserBust

Smash Journeyman
Kool. I gotta get used 2 playing a ground game with jiggs. Im going crazy over how useless those tilts are..

Btw, dont 4get u can airdodge Ikes Side-B and he still dies cuz he goes through the swingin animation.
Jus thought that was important 2 note because we all kno Jiggz die pretty early..

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Yeah, I hate a good falco. I decent one is fine, but I got this guy who managed to chain grab me (I know, i thought it imposssible). I dunno if I can get out of it, but he would grab, d-throw me, sh to dair, and repeat. I couldn't get out of it until later and it did insane damage.

∫unk

Smash Master
Does pound have more priority than wario's d-air and f-air (his main set up aerials)? If so that could be useful.

Good warios are shield pressuring with d-air followed immediately by bite so you can't shield or side step it, so I'm not sure how good staying on the ground would be.

I've been playing around with dash dance on a lot of characters... it may actually prove to be useful in Brawl for these sorts of situations (dash out to avoid the hit then dash back in for punishment... depends on how big jiggz initial dash is).

KeepinItFresh

Smash Cadet
That ain't gonna work, I believe. Jiggs has the slowest running speed and I don't think her initial dash to be any better.

Additionally, to G, I believe that you should further differentiate the space animals. To group them all together is a bit of a disservice to space animal players and misleading to aspiring Jiggs mains.

tEhrXXz0r

Smash Journeyman
How do you overcome a campy Ganondorf who tech chases the crap out of you when you try to approach? :/ I mean, once he's off the stage, he's dead... but it's extremely hard to approach him without getting SideB into tech chased or getting Thunderstormed. Should I be MORE aggressive? If not, how should I make him approach ME instead?

rinoH

Smash Lord
you should be more aggresive and should watch his side b and im pretty sure pound does not cancel out his side b so dont use it for that and avoid his smash attacks or your going to die in the 60 -70 %

Top Bottom