• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

D-D-Dolphin Slash - The Punishisher of Champions

FishkeeperTimmay!

Smash Ace
Introduction
Sonic Wave made an interesting observation that 3 of 4 of Marth's B-Moves have been covered up till this point. While I knew that all of Marth's moves were amazing, his B moves are what make him unique, and in my opinion, the best character in the game.

So, to finish his B-Moves full circle, I decided to write up this thread. I hope you enjoy it.

Properties
Dolphin Slash is Marth's Up-B. It does 13% undiminished and packs a wicked punch. The moves damage and knockback operate like a sex kick, the longer it stays out, the less it does. The move is extremely fast, activating on frame 1, creating a hitbox on frame 5. You are invincible during those initial 5 frames. This can also be jump cancelled out of a shield.

Uses
This move is the ultimate punisher that Marth has. Non-Interruptible, this move practically has unlimited priority due to the invincibility frames. Because of this, someone with inhuman reflexes CAN abuse the frames and punish ANY move coming at them. Your opponent is hitting you constantly with moves that Counter is too slow to hit? DOLPHIN SLASH!

On defense, you can shield -> Dolphin Slash practically any attack that you can predict coming at you. Heck, with awesome timing, you don't even have to shield. This move can also be used to break combos that are normally unbreakable, like Jab Combos and chaingrabs. Sloppy DDD throws can be broken with this. Falco CG can be broken far earlier. Shiek chains can be broken too. Its potential to break combos is excellent and should be used at every opportunity.

Offensively, this move is a great way to get your opponent off the stage. With fast activation and good knockback, I often use this technique to chain onto un-tipped D-tilts and Jabs to push people away. It can also be used in a "shine" like manner to prevent shield-grabs from grab happy opponents. F-air->F-air->Dolphin Slash will defeat a shield-grabber almost every time. In tandem with Shieldbreaker, you have a bevy of options to keep yourself from being punished.

For recovery, this move is nothing short of amazing. Simply put, as a Marth player, you should be extremely hard to edge-guard. Dolphin Slash has a lot to do with it. Dolphin Slash ascends at a rate comparable to Sonic's Up-B. Because of this, with co-operation with Dancing Blades stalling, edge-hogging should be impossible. This also lets you recover quickly, giving your opponent less time to predict you. Once holding the ledge, this move makes it practically impossible to deny you space on the stage. Merely drop down, and Dolphin Slash in the right spot, and you will accomplish the best edge-stalling trick I've seen yet. It makes Marth invincible for 70% of the time, if not more. It also causes a hit-box to come up from under the stage, forcing an opponent to back off and give you space.

Conclusions
Dolphin Slash is amazing. It breaks combos, punishes predictable behaviour and gives Marth an awesome recovery. Mastering this move will bring your Marth ever closer to untouchable. It will also give you a extremely nice and easy way to get an opponent off the edge. Practice this one folks.

Thoughts? Comments?

feardragon64

Smash Champion
Interesting. I never thought of using it to break out of chain grabs(does that really work? I thought that grabs take priority over all attacks, super armor or not).

Also, don't forget to mention the glory of the dolphin slash that makes people afraid to edgeguard him because if they mess up the timing on invincibility frames, it's instant stage spike.

Another thing, I find that dropping(fast fall) from the edge to dolphin slash to be the fastest way to get back invincibility frames. If you time it properly, you'll either sweetspot the edge, or if you mess it up and the other person grabs onto the edge, you'll have a laggy landing on stage(better than loosing a stock), and you'll probably get ledge attacked).

But again, are you sue it breaks out of chain grabs? Or is that just a, it's good for breaking out of slopply done chain grabs?

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
Interesting. I never thought of using it to break out of chain grabs(does that really work? I thought that grabs take priority over all attacks, super armor or not).

Also, don't forget to mention the glory of the dolphin slash that makes people afraid to edgeguard him because if they mess up the timing on invincibility frames, it's instant stage spike.

Another thing, I find that dropping(fast fall) from the edge to dolphin slash to be the fastest way to get back invincibility frames. If you time it properly, you'll either sweetspot the edge, or if you mess it up and the other person grabs onto the edge, you'll have a laggy landing on stage(better than loosing a stock), and you'll probably get ledge attacked).

But again, are you sue it breaks out of chain grabs? Or is that just a, it's good for breaking out of slopply done chain grabs?
Yes, it does break out of CG's.

Good post btw.

SiShenDao

Smash Apprentice
super armor doesn't stop chain grabs, but marth's up b has INVINCIBILITY FRAMES =/= super armor, i believe mew2king tested it and said the first 5 frames you're invincible.

Jibbles

Smash Apprentice
sweet post

A few things I want to mention

- Stage spikes- This is what happens when you try to jump off the edge to beat a Marth coming from below

- 14%- Marth's Up B can do 14% at maximum.

- According to the kill move chart at BTD, Dolphin Slash KOs Mario at 141%. That's slightly less than an untipped FSmash. Don't get me wrong on this though-it's still a pretty good kill move

- It seems that from the videos I watched, the back of Marth's Up B knocks the opponent straight upwards instead of sideways

- You may want to note that this move has some landing lag, and also note that you can avoid punishment for the lag (if your opponent shields it or something) on Battlefield by Up Bing into the middle platform

Jibbles

Smash Apprentice
I suppose Dolphin Slash has less knockback growth than FSmash but has a higher base knockback

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
I have yet to fully master this move as a defensive option when I'm attacked. I really should.

∫unk

Smash Master
Question: Are we going to make a thread on every move? *thinks about making a jab combo thread*

c-c-c-c-combo breaker is the best part of this move (besides the obvious recovery)

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
One thing that you forgot to mention, that I think will be extremely important in a variety of ways.

Marth's reverse up B now hits behind him instead of in front of him.

Why is this important? Because it means that landing behind Marth is not safe anymore (though dancing blade is great for this as well). No more dash cross-ups for them, just reverse up B as they land behind your shield. Your opponent likes to pivot grab a lot? Reverse up B right through it.

But that's not where it ends. Because Marth turns around before the up B comes out, it's now a very good complement to his edgeguarding game. You missed the edgehog on a tether recovery? No problem, reverse up B and stage spike them. They airdodged past your fair and ended up behind you? No problem, up B hits them anyway. They thought you couldn't get them if they just went close to the stage, well bair is good, but why bother if they're just going to tech it, when instead you can just reverse up B to not only hit them (and probably stage spike them because it is really hard to tech), but also grab the ledge, in case they do somehow manage to tech it. And guess what that sets up for. More up B edgeguarding (invincibility FTW).

And kudos on beating me to the thread. You get an internet cookie.

Machiavelli.CF

Ivy of the West
NNID
Machiavelli.CF
3DS FC
3222-5675-4966
marth does have great specials!
a move that is invincable and quick as possable
a move that breaks sheilds
the greatest regenerating combo in the game
and a counter(invincable quick) <<no other(septIke) move in the game gives you this kind of power!

VietGeek

Smash Hero
By the way, if you hit with Dolphin Slash with Marth's body instead of sword, the attack will send them in an upward trajectory similar to what a normal Dolphin Slash did in Melee.

Great for lightweights, but it may be a little too difficult to do in during battle.

Just wanted to add that. Hitbox may extend past his body, but that's where I've gotten the effect from.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
UpB is killer. Literally. I have soooooooooooooo many surprise finishes with the Dolphin Slash it's ridiculous. If you have a hard time edgeguard your opponent, or you're having trouble getting the tipper slash for the kill, go for the close range upB.

I also use it as an anti-air attack, similar to a Ryu-Ken Dragon Punch, when the opponent has damage at 80% or more. Most of the time, when not spammed anyway, they won't see it coming and will take some free damage with minimal risk because of the knockback. The only threat with that, however, is if your opponent has a powerful projectile, such as Lucario's or Samus's

But I agree. UpB is BEAST.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Hmm, it owns Mortar Dashing, (I once DS my after he threw up a grenade and the Mortar Dashed, knocking him up into the Grenade which then exploded KOing him ftw on my last stock while I was down for epic finish. I'm mad the match was over 3 minutes.)

I'm not sure if it gets through whornado.

Top Bottom