• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Something Interesting About Giant Punch *Big Update and Fancy Chart*

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
GENERAL INFO

It seems that some very interesting properties of this move were overlooked. The giant punch actually has more knockback when it is not fully charged. The 9 punch (I will call partially charged punches # punch from now on with # being the # of wind-ups) KO's roughly 20-30% earlier on average (dependent on weight and DI) and also deals the same damage as a fully charged one (I will call this steaming from now on). A 6 punch has almost the same knockback as a steaming punch although a 6 punch does 6 less damage. Another interesting thing about the giant punch is that an aerial one (DK being in the air) has the same damage and knockback as a grounded one with 2 less wind-ups worth of charge. A 9 punch in the air will deal damage and knockback equal to a 7 punch on the ground.

The giant punch in the air has less range in front of DK than a grounded one but it has much more range behind him than a grounded one. In fact in the air the giant punch has a bit more range behind DK than in front of him. A steaming punch also has a teeny bit more range than an uncharged punch. Another good thing to know is that the hitbox for the giant punch comes out behind DK first so it hits one frame sooner behind him. Just something to put it into perspective, a steaming punch comes out a hair slower than his dair and an uncharged punch comes out a hair slower than his fair. However if you are facing away so that you will hit them behind DK (which is a more powerful hit for uncharged punches), an uncharged punch hits at the same time as his fair and the steaming punch comes out at the same time as his dair.

After pressing b (for # punches), DK starts charging his punch and cannot do anything in the beginning (7 frame charge lag). Afterwards DK goes into "charge state" where he can either punch, cancel, or roll (only on ground). A steaming punch skips charge state obviously and has no charge lag. To punch as soon as possible you double tap b 7 frames apart and if you do it right you won't see any white sparkles. Double tapping b too fast is bad because nothing will happen (it will be the same as pressing it once). Canceling makes DK stop at the end of the current wind up. Each wind takes 12 frames to complete and canceling has an 8 frame lag so depending on how close the wind is to completion when you press shield to cancel, it takes 8 to 20 frames to cancel. If DK is hit during the 8 frames of cancel lag you do not lose the charge. Rolling happens immediately and you do not get any charge from the wind you were on unless you rolled just before the next wind (right before the woosh sound). To wavebounce a # punch, you have to do it during charge state. That this means is that instead of pressing b then left/right then b, you double tap b then press right/left. To punch in the other direction without altering momentum, holding the other direction slightly during charge state and pressing b does a turnaround punch (in the air you do not need to do it slightly). DK has no aerial DI (meaning as soon as you punch it is like you let go of the control stick) during all states of the punch.

SWEETSPOT INFO

Another plus to not fully charging is that it gets a sweetspot. On the ground it is his shoulder to his elbow when the punch is still behind him (very hard to pull off on most characters since they are too short and the from the forearm to his fist there is, oddly enough, no hitbox...). In the air it is DK's elbow to his fist when it is still behind him. If they are too close in the air the sweetspot whiffs but they will get hit with the regular punch since its hitbox extends behind DK (the flashy green trail effects). A sweetspotted 9 punch deals 31-32 damage (30 in training mode) and has more vertical knockback than luigi's up b. Bowser is the easiest character to hit with this because you can hit him with it just by facing away from him (it will look like DK backhands Bowser's jaw), but anyone can be hit with the grounded version if the opponent jumps/lands into DK's elbow or shoulder. A lot of characters can also be hit by the sweetspot if they walk/run into DK's shoulder. If you jump into someone about Mario's height or taller doing a reverse giant punch so that you start the punch when you land into them, you will hit them with the sweetspot.

KO INFO

Below are some KO numbers without DI but with the character double jumping towards the stage done in group brawl on FD (9 punch/steaming). Note that being further away from the KO zone, being heavier, and the opponent using optimal DI makes the KO% difference bigger. Being closer, lighter, or the opponent DIing badly (like downwards) makes the KO% gap smaller. All numbers are rounded up since the game does not show fractional percentages and you cannot rely on it being say 55.3% for MK when it shows 55%. Credit to Nokonoko for arranging my data into a great looking and neat chart which is arranged from lowest KO% to highest KO%.

To get a general idea of how much longer they live with DI (without actually doing much grunt work hehe) I tested to see just how strong each were numerically in mph using the end game stats. The numbers you will see are Mario's numbers. The initial knockback is more or less constant for each character (MrSilver's weight guide has this in more detail and how to compensate for this) but the power growth is divided by the character's relative weight to Mario. When you add initial with power growth times the damage percentage (after hit) you get the knockback done. Both punches do ~ 29.4 damage when fresh. Depending on how floaty each character is, DI becomes more or less effective at preventing KO's. Floatier chars cannot aim as high without being star KO'ed at the same knockback values so it becomes less effective (gravity counteracts vertical launches). At 7000-7650 mph is the death zone from the middle of FD with DI and pulling out all the stops to survive. Jiggs would be 7000 and D3 would be 7650. The floatier the character is, the less knockback needed for KO's with DI from the middle of FD.

Steaming- Initial knockback is 786mph. Power growth is 57.21333333 per %. Deals 7600mph when you punch Mario at 90%.
9 Punch- Initial knockback is 1063mph and c= 103. Power growth is 71.51666667 per %. Deals 7600mph when you punch Mario at 62%.

Basically the equation is [(desired knockback - initial knockback- cx)/(power growth/relative weight to Mario) - damage done by punch]= % needed. For Mario the numbers you plug in for a 9 punch would be (7600-1063- 0)/(71.51666667/1)-29.4] and you would get 62%. This formula is extremely accurate for the 9 punch only. Better formula for steaming punch coming later. Below are MrSilver's relative weight values for each character and the x coefficient.

Bowser 1.111 x= .91
Donkey Kong 1.091 x= .20
Snake 1.076 x= .16
Dedede 1.071 x= .29
Charizard 1.061 x= .33
Ganondorf 1.056 x= .91
Samus 1.051 x= -.54
Yoshi 1.045 x= -.05
Wario 1.045 x= .30
R.O.B. 1.040 x= -.32
Ike 1.035 x= .28
Captain Falcon 1.030 x= .92
Link 1.030 x= .46
Wolf 1.020 x= 1.84
Lucario 1.010 x= -.40
Ivysaur 1.010 x= -.16
Mario 1 x= 0
Luigi 0.995 x= -.32
Sonic 0.985 x= .33
Ness 0.980 x= -.12
Pit 0.980 x= 0
Lucas 0.980 x= .49
Diddy Kong 0.975 x= .55
Toon Link 0.970 x= -.16
Ice Climber 0.970 x= .07
Peach 0.960 x= -.37
Marth 0.944 x= -.25
Sheik 0.935 x= 2.21
Zelda 0.935 x= -.26
Falco 0.919 x= 1.23
Olimar 0.919 x= -.47
Zero Suit Samus 0.914 x= .44
Fox 0.910 x= 3.41
Pikachu 0.904 x= .40
Meta Knight 0.904 x= .68
Kirby 0.899 x= -.44
Squirtle 0.884 x= 1.05
Mr. Game & Watch 0.884 x=.01
Jigglypuff 0.849 x= -.78

FRAME DATA

I did some frame tests to see when the super armor is on the steaming punch and to see the difference between a steaming punch and a 9 punch. The steaming punch attacks behind DK on frame 18, in front of DK on frames 19-22, has super armor from frames 17-20, and is finished frame 45 (meaning you can block as soon as frame 46). A 9 punch attacks as soon as (if you double-tap perfectly) frame 25 behind DK, on frames 26-29 in front of DK, and ends on frame 59. Hitlag for both the 9 punch and steaming punch is 14 frames which means that punching an obstacle makes the attacking hitbox last 14 frames longer (good for spotdodgers and bad for whiffing). If blocked a steaming punch has a -17 frame advantage while a 9 punch has a -24 frame advantage (not including shield drop for both). Keep in mind though that the recoil from the punch (DK is pushed backwards) and pushback to the blocker mean most characters cannot punish it on block even when they are in your face and it takes 7 extra frames after shieldhitstun to drop their shield. So basically it takes 7 extra frames to start and finish # punches (14 total) and the super armor does not last for the whole punch.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
this is just like Roy's neutral b in melee. right before it exploded it did the same amount of damage but it had more knockback. this will probably be useful to some extent but with there being no SA frames on any degree of uncharged punch I'm not so sure

TheSpindoctor

Smash Journeyman
this is just like Roy's neutral b in melee. right before it exploded it did the same amount of damage but it had more knockback. this will probably be useful to some extent but with there being no SA frames on any degree of uncharged punch I'm not so sure
I rarely find use in the SA frames, I dont know why people put so much merit into them. ]

Maybe I just dont know exactly when during the move they are. It seems i get disrupted at the beggining of the punch all the time with just like a neutral a, its very frustrating

Nicktendo

Smash Ace
Interesting I'll try this out. This is alot like how warios fart has much higher knockback when like half of the full charge time

Also when you don't have it fully charged they don't expect it nearly as much, most people don't even think about it when your not steaming at the head

Even without the super armor non fully charged this move has good range still

Cardd

Smash Cadet
well i find the SA too useful to give up, for those meager benefits.

but will certaintly be good to someone who doesn't use the SA as much.

Jingo_Joe

Smash Apprentice
This is an incredible discovery! I did some testing in the training room to make sure if this is true, and it is.

I used Zelda, put her in the middle of Final Destination, and hit her with a fully charged punch. She did not even get close to dying.

Then, I killed myself (to make sure DR were reset), put her back to 50%, and placed her in the middle of Final Destination again. I charged 9 rotations of the punch, canceled, and then let her have it. This time, she died (of course, she doesn't DI out of it I don't think).

This has many benefits to DK players. Let me try to list the pros and cons I can think of.

Pros:

1) No smoke means your opponent won't fear the punch and play super defensively. This will most likely lead to you getting easier punches off.
2) Less time wasted charging the punch. Just count 9 rotations, cancel it by rolling or pressing shield, and continue the fight.
3) If your opponent hits you as you cancel the 9th rotation of the punch, he may assume that he stopped you from charging your punch completely (leaving him with the allusion that your punch isn't charged at all). This means you're walking around with an incredibly strong killing move and he doesn't even know it!
4) Of course, more KOing power for DK.

Cons:

1) A bit harder to B reversal the punch. It seems like you need to press B (or whatever your "specials" button is), then do the B reversal to turn around the punch. The button pressing order should be B, B, and then quickly the opposite direction your facing. It shouldn't be too hard to over come.
2) No more ledge punches. This punch takes longer to go off, so you will no longer be able to drop from a ledge, jump up, and punch an unsuspecting enemy.

I can't think of anymore right now.

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
I think there are two big things to take away from this new discovery. Early in the match you can get a surprisingly quick KO with 9 wind-ups (will KO any character at 64% in the middle of FD even with DI). Even if you do not fully charge the giant punch you shouldn't hesitate to use it should you find an opening to do so because it is still your strongest move with 6 or more wind-ups. When your opponent is at a high enough percentage for a guaranteed KO with a fully charged punch don't forget to fully charge it since there would no longer be a point in having 9 wind-ups besides maybe an element of surprise.

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
I've been using this lately in matches and is more effective at killing I like it. thanks for posting this :)
Thanks and no problem. Sometimes at early percentages you can utilt to giant punch if they airdodge early and it auto sweetspots for a reverse giant punch since it knocks them up and behind you for a hilariously early KO. Try it out in training mode sometime on like marth at like 26%.

Tx3Fate

Smash Cadet
Yeah, i have been using this in matches for a while now. I had a lot of low % KOs when i would punch by mistake so kind of went with it. Alot like wario's fart but way more badass !

Swoops

Smash Lord
NNID
SwoopsTii
Brahma posting here under Swoop's account.

Very nice find Big O.

I don't think the slightly higher damage (5%ish more), makes much of a difference in DK's game, but it is nice to know. I think this definitely has some uses since it looks to be of his earliest KO moves. However, I think the punch is harder to land by itself without the SA. This could be very useful after headbutt though, netting KOs at 55%ish.

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
I tried this today... And wow... Amazing...

Jingo_Joe

Smash Apprentice
Found another "Pro"! If your opponent hits you as you cancel the 9th rotation of the punch, he may think that he stopped you from fully charging your punch. This means you're walking around with a super punch and he thinks you don't have crap.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I was able to get out a couple of "9 Punches" on a friend today. One of the more memorable ones was when I killed his ROB at 64% by hitting him when he was on the right side of Pirate Ship. I tested it in training mode and found that he would have EASILY been able to DI out of a fully charged punch, but the 9 Punch killed him easily. I 4 stocked him that match.

Brahma

Smash Journeyman
I think one of the biggest applications of this is after >B. If you can a >B on a grounded opponent while you are in the air, Punch is the fastest power move you can hit them with. If 9-wind Punch gets KOs on lighter characters at 40%ish, that means if you land an aerial >B at 30%, you can just mash B and unless they have great mashing skills to break out they will get sent.

Also, those KO percentages help. I've been keeping my 9 punch for an early KO, but when they get past the KO range for a 10 count punch, I get the extra wind, since there's no sense in not utilizing the SA if a 10-wind will kill.

I'll try and get KO% for everyone in the next few days.

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
Is there some sort of ultimate Donkey Punch thread that lists all the properties of the Donkey Punch?

I'm reading things like reverse B and the differences between grounded punches and aerial punches and ledge hopped bunches but it is all conveyed so terribly, at least to my untrained Donkey Kong eye.

Someone please help the DK noob.

Jingo_Joe

Smash Apprentice
Is there some sort of ultimate Donkey Punch thread that lists all the properties of the Donkey Punch?

I'm reading things like reverse B and the differences between grounded punches and aerial punches and ledge hopped bunches but it is all conveyed so terribly, at least to my untrained Donkey Kong eye.

Someone please help the DK noob.
A "B Reversal" punch is using the B Reversal advanced technique while doing a Giant's Punch. B Reversal is a technique that allows any character to change the direction of any B move instantly. All you have to do is perform the B move of your choosing (in this case the Giant's Punch) and then slam the control stick in the opposite direction as quickly as you can. The end result is your character turning around to perform the attack instead of facing the direction he normally would have. This AT improves Giant's Punch's usefulness by A LOT.

Ledge Hopped punches are Giant's Punches that are performed after hopping from a ledge. The trick is to grab the ledge with a fully charged punch, drop down, jump up, punch, and then grab the ledge again to surprise your opponent. While it is technically possible to do the same technique with a slower, non-fully charged punch (It's quite easy at 1/4 speed) I have yet to been able to do it at normal speed and nobody else seems to have either, so as of now it's only really possible with a fully charged punch. Ah, what am I saying, I'm sure theres plenty of people out there who can pull it off and I'm just not one of them.

From what I can understand, grounded (A Giant's Punch that is performed on the ground) do more knockback than aerial punches (Punches that are performed in the air). However, I do not know for sure so don't take my word for it. Also, if there is a difference in knockback, my personal experience seems to show that it is minimal.

Tenki

Smash Hero
insert about difference between aerial and grounded.
are you testing on computers?

I noticed that, while testing kill%'s vs computers on auto jump, they actually do DI, unlike standing computers, so that could be a factor in this. if you have a 2nd controller, use that instead of one of the automatic settings for 'most accurate'kill %s.

Omega Deman

Smash Apprentice
Good find. This info definintely looks to be tourney worthy. BTW, good question Tenki. someone confirm that answer quickly.

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
are you testing on computers?

I noticed that, while testing kill%'s vs computers on auto jump, they actually do DI, unlike standing computers, so that could be a factor in this. if you have a 2nd controller, use that instead of one of the automatic settings for 'most accurate'kill %s.
My KO%'s were done with controllers not CPUs. I used Fox as a third player to laser them to whatever % because fully diminished they do around .9% damage from one end of FD to the middle. I used Fox's jabs on DK to alter the stale move negation on Fox's lasers to make them get as close to the % as possible by just shooting until I get to the KO%. I also rounded up any %'s to avoid fractions since the game doesn't show you factions (Metaknight dies at like 35.something but if you can get him to just barely 35% he will survive). What I mean by no DI but with jumps is that I hold towards the stage (after the attack so no DI) and mash jump. I did the tests this way because that is the very least you can expect an opponent to do, so these numbers are basically the lowest % you may be able to KO. Doing these tests with DI and any character specific quirks (airdodging, quick aeirals, specials, etc.) just makes it a lot more difficult.

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
A "B Reversal" punch is using the B Reversal advanced technique while doing a Giant's Punch. B Reversal is a technique that allows any character to change the direction of any B move instantly. All you have to do is perform the B move of your choosing (in this case the Giant's Punch) and then slam the control stick in the opposite direction as quickly as you can. The end result is your character turning around to perform the attack instead of facing the direction he normally would have. This AT improves Giant's Punch's usefulness by A LOT.

Ledge Hopped punches are Giant's Punches that are performed after hopping from a ledge. The trick is to grab the ledge with a fully charged punch, drop down, jump up, punch, and then grab the ledge again to surprise your opponent. While it is technically possible to do the same technique with a slower, non-fully charged punch (It's quite easy at 1/4 speed) I have yet to been able to do it at normal speed and nobody else seems to have either, so as of now it's only really possible with a fully charged punch. Ah, what am I saying, I'm sure theres plenty of people out there who can pull it off and I'm just not one of them.

From what I can understand, grounded (A Giant's Punch that is performed on the ground) do more knockback than aerial punches (Punches that are performed in the air). However, I do not know for sure so don't take my word for it. Also, if there is a difference in knockback, my personal experience seems to show that it is minimal.
First let me say thank you for your help. It is appreciated.

I know what a Reverse B is, but I was more curious about the effects it has on the Donkey Punch. Does it do more damage? Is it faster? Does it have more knockback? What if you reverse it on the ground? In the air? DK's punch is a lot more whack than I thought.

Perhaps I will go into training and just figure things out myself.

Brahma

Smash Journeyman
Kashakunaki: It doesn't add any special properties to the punch, it just lets you use the punch the other direction. You can also do it by tapping the opposite direction you're facing, let it go back to neutral, then hit B.

Also, it seems that with DI, characters will generally live roughly 10-15% longer than Big O's estimates. I was messing around with it in practice mode with my bro yesterday but didn't take notes.

Omega Deman

Smash Apprentice
It works. The uncharged punch does seem to knock people further than a fully charged punch. Maybe I was sweetspoting consistently or my opponents weren't expecting, but it seemed to kill a lot easier at low percentages.

Nokonoko

Smash Apprentice
I’m really liking the SA frames on the fully charged punch, but … I take it the general consensus is that more knockback is way more useful until the opponent’s high enough?

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
As Nokonoko said, I tend to find myself using this when the opponent is around 80 percent.

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
The KO% numbers are finished but could someone maybe put all the data into a chart that's easy on the eyes because I am not very good at doing them. Thanks in advance (if someone does it lol). Also can someone maybe put this in one of the guides because not much is readily available that is helpful on the DK forums.

Nokonoko

Smash Apprentice
Tom hasn’t been around to finalise his, and Kyle’s is fairly outdated now. This thread could be stickied on its own merits, seeing as the Donkey Punch is so important for DK’s game.

Just some clarification — so an aerial 9-punch is like a grounded 7-punch, which has the knockback of a “steamer”, right? Pretty neat.

I can tabulate the data if you like, just not right away. Stay tuned. ;)

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
Tom hasn’t been around to finalise his, and Kyle’s is fairly outdated now. This thread could be stickied on its own merits, seeing as the Donkey Punch is so important for DK’s game.

Just some clarification — so an aerial 9-punch is like a grounded 7-punch, which has the knockback of a “steamer”, right? Pretty neat.

I can tabulate the data if you like, just not right away. Stay tuned. ;)
An aerial 9 punch is stronger than a fully charged punch on the ground. An aerial 8 punch is equal (very slightly less powerful) to a fully charged one on the ground. Remembering that a 6 punch has the same knockback as a fully charged one and that an aerial punch is two wind-ups weaker makes it easier to keep track of how strong the punch is.

The Director

Smash Lord
I'm sorry, I simply cannot agree with this strategy. I'm a proponent of a fully charged punch over the 9charge, simply for the super armor.

Brawl is an incredibly defensive game, and adding super armor/unflinching to an already devastating attack is crucial. I'll take the defense over the extra knockback anyday.

Watch what happens at 3:51:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9_QPoAg7eM

If I didn't have a fully charged punch there, I would've been canned by PK thunder and the game would've been over, knocking me out of the tournament. Screw a little extra knockback!

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
I'm sorry, I simply cannot agree with this strategy. I'm a proponent of a fully charged punch over the 9charge, simply for the super armor.

Brawl is an incredibly defensive game, and adding super armor/unflinching to an already devastating attack is crucial. I'll take the defense over the extra knockback anyday.

Watch what happens at 3:51:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9_QPoAg7eM

If I didn't have a fully charged punch there, I would've been canned by PK thunder and the game would've been over, knocking me out of the tournament. Screw a little extra knockback!
I use both but I could have sworn there was more than 4 frames of super armor on the punch.

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
Organized and updated all parts of the guide along with some general fixes

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
What is the timing for a perfect double b on the 9 punch again?

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
What is the timing for a perfect double b on the 9 punch again?
The double tap has to be 7 frames apart. Double tapping too fast will do nothing though so its better too slow than too fast. If you don't see any sparkles then you did it perfectly.

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
NIce ill keep that in mind, thanks/.

Top Bottom