• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

possibly a new advanced technique (this is a pretty obvious yet useful thing)

edde

Smash Ace
NNID
edmichu
this might be old or might be just possibly not seen effectively...

if this technique would have a name it would something like dash jump altered specials (cancelled got old, plus altered makes a bit of more sense)

its pretty obvious, consists in dashing, jumping (short hope prefferably) and doing the special on opposite direction (i suggest you to do this with r jump... or at least if you wanna just test it i still suggest r jump)

what youll do is dash and do a turn-around special (some chars jump turning around sadly, which makes this kind of more usable for few chars)... a note on this is that most momentum cancelling specials work the best with this tech

some of you might think its useless but its always good for setting lets say mindgames... but in most of the cases this mind game wouldnt be worth for modifyying your main control setup

i found this tech effective because you can dash away for an example from someone really aggressive pressuring and kind of catching them offguards

i found this tech effective with...

-bowser: kind of effective since he covers a small distance hopping
-charizard: quite useful since the hop distance isnt that big, but also, the good rock smashes are done shot hopping (if you short hop a rock smash you have the possibility of doing 45%+, if you dont short hop you do around 20% but have more knockback)
-D3: not as effective since jump is quite large... it can be used to get someone off edge, while they recover run to the other one and start camping (which isnt that great either imo)
-captain falcon: really really useless unless you delay it, it wont hit and you must delay to determine the move's height, i found this one specifically easier to pull delaying by using x/y jump rather than y jump
-diddy kong: almost not effective at all since his shorthop is quite long
-DK: really effective if you just wanna turn around headbutt, very insignificant jump distance
-ganondorf: maybe the most effective one, insignificant hop distance and its treated as an air side+b which means it does more damage, i see no ganoncide potential though
-falco: works great, 100% turnaround phantasm
-fox: works great, 100% turnaround illusion
-G&W: prolly useful, eventhough hop has a small distance, the side+b still lands on opponents that are even on the ground
-ICS: quite effective to be honest, works well, very very small hop distance
-ike: quite useful since it covers horizontal distance and the hop isnt that big
-ivysaur: quite useful, short hop distance is quite good, and its effective since its a projectile
-jiggz: very useful since hop distance is short, but you also have th eoption of directioning the side+b downwards or upwards (like a rising pound)
-link: quite effective, the hop distance isnt that great
-lucario: the move is near useless in the air and the hop distance is quite big
-kirby: quite useless if you dont delay the special since if you dont the attack animation will show yet do no damage, to delay it and for easier timing, id suggest you to rather x/y jump than r jump
-luigi: almost not effective at all since his shorthop is quite long
-lucas: very useful if you dont use b-stick and play him (maybe im the only one who does-.-?), it covers a very small jump distance
-mario: not so effective since he jumps
-marth: quite useless since i only was able to pull the first strike of the dancing blades and could not continue the sequence plues there is a quite significant hop distance and maybe an extra impuls the move gives you
-MK: maybe very useful because it works perfectly due to no jump distance, maybe not because tornado is way better than drill rush
-ness: theres hop distance but its not that bad, if theyre chasing you theyll prolly get hit since the pk fire gives you an upwards impulse and the diagibal direction covers a decent distance
-olimar: jumps high, but its useful since the move is really great and does good damage if it catches someone offguard
-peach: kind of effective since she covers a small distance hopping
-pikachu: very useful, no hop distance for a turnaround powerful move... the char i hated the most gets one of the best ones -.-
-pit: quite effective since it sweeps from above to below a bit, could had been better if it had no hop distance though
-ROB: prolly the least useful since the move is quite useless and it hops high and floats a lot
-samus: quite effective since its a homing projectile (that can be used also as a strong one), theres hop distance
-sheik: not as effective, jump is a bit high, what determines this is the special's usefulness which i obviously dont know
-sonic: interestingly useful... if you charge spindash you can fake your opponent and hell think youre charging the spindash normally while youre actually charging it in the opposite direction you were originall facing... if you inmediately release, the spindash will jump even higher than it usually does
-snake: not as useful... the firing animation takes as long as the turn around hop... you can say its effective or even see it as a lagged out nikita missile just to start a travel with an opposite direction to snake's
-TL: quite useful, jump isnt that big
-wario: almost not effective since the bike on the air gives you a vertical impulse
-wolf: works effectively since it does no jump distance but i see this move very very situational
-yoshi: very effective for a turnaround egg-roll, very small jump
-zamus: kind of effective, the jump distance isnt that big
-zelda: very insignificant hop distance, means, very effective

do me a favour, if this is old, or its not an AT or whatever and you wanna flame in your post, im nicely asking you to click back and look for another thread... + hope this helps somebody o.O

edde

Smash Ace
NNID
edmichu
nevershootme... if its old, post me where this has been discussed before

thanks for taking the time sp

sakuraZaKi

The Ultimate Sore Loser ♡
I'm filling in for my mom at the inn we run~
NNID
taeZaKi
3DS FC
3754-7545-6675
You can try "Search"

Although I can't say where this technique is found on the boards, I know a lot use it. I use this for Marth's Shieldbreaker already. T

This was also in Melee o_O, most commonly used with Falco's and Fox's SHL (ShortHopLazz0rZ*Laser*).<------ Try looking up that on the Falco or Fox Melee Character Discussions.

Here's a cookie for trying. :)

edde

Smash Ace
NNID
edmichu
You can try "Search"

Although I can't say where this technique is found on the boards, I know a lot use it. I use this for Marth's Shieldbreaker already. T

This was also in Melee o_O, most commonly used with Falco's and Fox's SHL (ShortHopLazz0rZ*Laser*).<------ Try looking up that on the Falco or Fox Melee Character Discussions.

Here's a cookie for trying. :)
.... this thread isnt about neutral specials, its about doing a turnaround side special while dashing... which only few characters can do it as i say, while others jump while turning around

everybody knows how to turn around with neutral specials (for example, falco bullets) you just jump, imput direction quickly and shoot... works same with all neutral b's i think

thanks for the cookie, i give you a cookie box for trying :)

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
.... this thread isnt about neutral specials, its about doing a turnaround side special while dashing... which only few characters can do it as i say, while others jump while turning around

everybody knows how to turn around with neutral specials (for example, falco bullets) you just jump, imput direction quickly and shoot... works same with all neutral b's i think

How can only a few characters be able to do turnaround side specials? It's not even hard nor does it require any kind of timing.

Also, dash momentum no longer carries into jumps, so just doing it from a jump should yield the same results as doing it from a standing position.

sakuraZaKi

The Ultimate Sore Loser ♡
I'm filling in for my mom at the inn we run~
NNID
taeZaKi
3DS FC
3754-7545-6675

Either way, turn around side-B's are similar to turn around neutral-B's. Despite each others usefulness, all it is utilizing a move backwards from where your facing, either doing damage, spacing yourself from others, etc.

For the Marth though, I would suggest using the turn around Dancing Blade for an enemy coming onto your back (1st attack on it only), possibly follow up with a u-air or something else.

(If you said that only a few can so the turn around side specials, whats that big list on your first post? o_O)

Here are the Oreo's for your victory over my intellectual stupidity, for the moment.

edde

Smash Ace
NNID
edmichu
How can only a few characters be able to do turnaround side specials? It's not even hard nor does it require any kind of timing.

Also, dash momentum no longer carries into jumps, so just doing it from a jump should yield the same results as doing it from a standing position.
ugh... you people dont get it... do this... dash, jump (r jump to do it faster and do an actual 180° turn around with very veyr insignificant jump distance) and do a side b to your opposite direction... try it first time with luigi, second time with pikachu... youll see that both characters can perform this (and everybody can), but pikachu's doesnt jump... means, that pikachu's work and luigi doesnt (but few chars dont do much jump distance)... by small jump distance, the jump distance does exist but is almost unnoticeable (best noticeable with DK, do a side special, then a jumping and really quick performed side special... youll see one of his ankles kind of flying or in a different animaiton while his side+b is practically performed on the ground)

and marth's doesnt work that well, can be a mindgame, but the jump distance doesnt help this much... you guys prolly dont get this cause you dont use r-jump which makes the almost impossible timing possible

get me now?

Scala

Smash Ace
I think he's saying you have to jump and IMMEDIATELY push B. The reason he says nobody gets it is because everyone uses X or Y to jump, and the human hand simply can't move from X/Y to B fast enough, so you should use R or L to jump instead since it relies on different fingers.

I have no clue what he is claiming the tech is, I don't have a wii and consequently can't test anything.

TJL

Smash Rookie
It sounds like Falco's immediate aerial phantasm, just reversed. I use it all the time, and it works pretty well, but its not really an AT at all, just a B move.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
So it's doing a B-move to cancel your upward momentum and immediately performing the B-move instead of jumping a bit first? Yeah, not new... or advanced... or much of a technique.

edde

Smash Ace
NNID
edmichu
wave dashing is jumping, doing an airdodge and directioning diagonlly downwards...

this is indeed a technique, that can be used by few chars as a good alternate for pivoting (since it requires foxtrotting that increases trip chances and this thing is considerably easier to do)

tell me why you think its not a technique, i wanna argue

xiferp

Smash Apprentice
Before anything, are you posting this to help people or to get credit for discovering "a new advanced technique?" 'Cause if you just wanted to help people, you wouldn't really care what it was called.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
wave dashing is jumping, doing an airdodge and directioning diagonlly downwards...

this is indeed a technique, that can be used by few chars as a good alternate for pivoting (since it requires foxtrotting that increases trip chances and this thing is considerably easier to do)

tell me why you think its not a technique, i wanna argue
Jumping and side B:ing is not an advanced technique... and not even a real technique. It's a maneuvre. Is Nairing a technique? After all, you jump and press neutral A!

Ryazan

Smash Ace
I agree with Yuna. It's just doing a midair side-B in the opposite direction you're facing. If it transferred your dash momentum so that the side-B moves you farther, then it would be a tech. But it doesn't. So it's not.

Top Bottom