• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pivotboost - August 9 Update

WoodyWiggins

Smash Journeyman
Pivotboost is a technique takes advantage of the distance gained from pivoting, specifically by crouching. Why chrouch? , chrouching gives you the option to perform any attack during a Pivotboost without interfering with the advantage gained from pivoting.

How to Pivotboost:
Method 1:
Normal Pivotboost:
With Tap Jump OFF, When facing right, on the control stick press down and rotate it 315 Degrees to the right, like so :

With Tap Jump OFF, When facing left, on the control stick press down and rotate it 315 Degrees to the left.

Reverse Pivotboost:
With Tap Jump OFF, When facing right, on the control stick press down and rotate it 315 Degrees to the right faster than you would for a Normal Pivotboost, like so :

With Tap Jump OFF, When facing left, on the control stick press down and rotate it 315 Degrees to the left faster than you would for a Normal Pivotboost.

Method 2:
Using the standard Gamecube controller setup, Set the L button to attack. When walking to the left, hold down the L button and tap the C-stick diagonally upward to the right. Your character should pivot.*

[Diagram Coming Soon]

Normal Pivotboost:
After a pivot press down.

Reverse Pivotboost:
During a pivot press down.

*This Pivot is slightly different than a normal Pivot. When Pivoting with the control stick, pressing back causes you slow down a bit. Pivoting with the C-stick does not slow you down at all. It's similar to Rar'ing vs Auto Rar'ing. Since Pivoting is the root of this technique, having a proper Pivot means a proper Pivotboost. Method 2 is more effective than method 1.

Updates
June 19 - Samus Demo 2

June 20 - Link Demo 1
June 20 - Pit Demo 1 Part 1
June 20 - Pit Demo 1 Part 2
June 20 - Samus Demo 3
June 20 - Samus Demo 4

June 21 - Samus Demo 5
June 21 - Samus Demo 6

July 6 - Pit Demo 2
July 6 - MetaKnight Demo 1
July 6 - Buffering a Pivot may benefit some characters - Characters with long range attacks like Samus and Link (and others) can add a tad more reach on to their attacks when a Pivot is buffered from a previous attack. Example (Samus), When facing right, Towards the end of the Neutral A combo, hold left, as soon as Samus turns around, hold right and press A for an F- tilt.
So that's Neutral A Combo, Buf. Pivot -> F-Tilt
Another simple one ; F- Tilt, Buf. Pivot -> F-tilt
Lastly, one for Falco; F-Tilt, Buf. Pivot -> F-Smash
One major condition I found was that your opponents percentages must be low in order for this to work. I thought it was interesting, it may not help, but it's interesting.

n00b

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
peasantstat.us
3DS FC
1693-1292-7210
It's hard to tell from the vid, but can Samus only wavedash backwards? I can see some applications of this especially because the momentum is canceled with a crouch, which buffers one of Samus's best KO moves - her dtilt. Any other setup for KOing with Samus helps. Thanks for the contribution, I'll tinker with it. :]

Aminar

Smash Journeyman
Looks like the Dashdance from a few weeks ago, but with crouching added in. It seems slow. I love how Falco looks like he's looking for bugs to eat though.

OrlanduEX

Smash Lord
I suppose this trick has some use, but It doesn't seem that will prove anywhere near as useful as Melee wavedash or even dash dance for that matter.
No offense. Just saying.

Bocom

Smash Apprentice
This is kinda like the Wavedash found in the Narutimate Hero game series for the PS2. I THINK it was called a Wavedash atleast. =/

KernelColonel

Smash Journeyman
mm....it doesn't look very fast. This doesn't really speed up the game, it just makes you look funny.

WoodyWiggins

Smash Journeyman
So I did a little more testing and so far Samus has the best Wavedash in terms of distance and usefulness. Pit has a nice Wavedash also. But back to Samus, to answer your question n00b, Samus can Wavedash foward, however it's easier to Wavedash backwards. Some of Samus's attacks can be incorporated into the dash, smashes included. D-tilt can be performed with a dash, but I end up D-smashing during a Wavedash, so. I need to practise moar.

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
this is alright. post it in the samus forums because it can help connect a donw tilt better. its really nice little boost but not too much can be done. good to know and about 5 characters will have and actual use thats worth it

WoodyWiggins

Smash Journeyman
If you can post a video of this being useful in an actual fight I will then practice it.
Yeah that's the thing, instead of practising when you know it's useful, practise it now. You may find an application for it that I may have never thought of. Or you may just end up adding something to it by accident and give it a much needed boost. Just experiment with it, and see what you get.

flash7

Smash Journeyman
Samus doesnt seem to go that far, does that mean that the other characters hardly even move?

Maybe you could post a vid with more characters only showing the WD.

But like others have said, doesnt look to be that good.

WoodyWiggins

Smash Journeyman
Samus doesnt seem to go that far, does that mean that the other characters hardly even move?

Maybe you could post a vid with more characters only showing the WD.

But like others have said, doesnt look to be that good.

I'm working on it. The next character I plan to do is Pit in an actual fight. But I suck with Pit, I main Falco. So yeah. I'm still getting used to the timing.:)

BrawlBro

Smash Ace
eh idk about this...

still its SOMETHING though, so off to try it..

EDIT: Oooh looks pretty saucy in the 2nd samus video. I could see that being used, im just a little worried its going to be yet another brawl "character specific" tech, because you say samus does it best.

poisonplatypus

Smash Rookie
I'm sorry, but this wont have nearly as much use as the melle waavedash, actually i can't even really see how this will help you in a match at all. The effort put into this plus the time cannot be used in a real match unless your trying to show off while the your opponet has time to get ready. quite frankly, this will not work at all.

LuigiTheKing

Smash Cadet
This is never going to help you in an actual match, you're better off turning around and walking. This isn't a wavedash, Samus is barely moving and hardly gets any spacing advantages at all. Luigi's "Crawldash" moves farther than this, and is completely useless in real matches.

Nice attempt, not trying to be rude, but just saying, it's not gonna do much.

bowz

Smash Journeyman
This is never going to help you in an actual match, you're better off turning around and walking. This isn't a wavedash, Samus is barely moving and hardly gets any spacing advantages at all. Luigi's "Crawldash" moves farther than this, and is completely useless in real matches.

Nice attempt, not trying to be rude, but just saying, it's not gonna do much.
Thats what they said about the melee wavedash at first.
I don't know about you, but I always have a urge to just back up a tiny bit in order to space better for your moves, or get out of the way of your opponents. I can see it being useful. Especially for marth. If it applies to him well....that is.

Jeremy Feifer

Jeremy Feifer
Yeah that's the thing, instead of practising when you know it's useful, practise it now. You may find an application for it that I may have never thought of. Or you may just end up adding something to it by accident and give it a much needed boost. Just experiment with it, and see what you get.
Treu. Good find, better than alot of other crap people come up with.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Oh nice. Now Pit has two Wavedashes for his spacing game :D
I would like to see a better edited video because it is kinda hard to see the "wavedash" among the many trials but good thinking with this. ^_^

3xSwords

Smash Lord
The only question I have is: Is this actually faster than just walking? If I could walk the same amount of distance in the same amount of time I'd rather do that b/c all the options are still available to me.

Actually I think the answer may be character dependent, b/c some characters like Link are slow walkers so this might help him, but for samus it seemed a lot shorter and slower than her just walking. So whatever. Pretty cool though.

Just a general question though. Telling use to learn pivot walking is just to help out finger dexterity and get used to doing light pushes correct? If it is you should clarify that b/c it gets sorta muddled in the OP.

Ryven

Smash Cadet
At about 00:30 in the first vid, it looks like Samus slides a respectable distance, but the quality is low enough that I can't tell if she's doing the tech or something else. XD

Johnthegalactic

Smash Lord
Will this work with Squirtle, he has a very good duck, and despite crawling, another way to move forward in a duck could change this guy up.
By the way, I saw this video where Ganondorfs wizard kick and a bunch of other moves just went over squirtle when he ducked, pretty funny!

WoodyWiggins

Smash Journeyman
The only question I have is: Is this actually faster than just walking? If I could walk the same amount of distance in the same amount of time I'd rather do that b/c all the options are still available to me.

Actually I think the answer may be character dependent, b/c some characters like Link are slow walkers so this might help him, but for samus it seemed a lot shorter and slower than her just walking. So whatever. Pretty cool though.

Just a general question though. Telling use to learn pivot walking is just to help out finger dexterity and get used to doing light pushes correct? If it is you should clarify that b/c it gets sorta muddled in the OP.
Well, for Link and Samus Wavedashing seems to be faster than walking when done consistently. This is especially true for Link. With Samus, the speed is about the same, maybe a little faster. I'm still learning how to do this properly, fowards and backwards.

The pivot walk helps with both dexterity and pushing. You mainly want to carry out the same amount pressure through out entire motion. Jamming the control stick forward will send you dashing, and jamming it down will shorten the length of your Wavedash.
At about 00:30 in the first vid, it looks like Samus slides a respectable distance, but the quality is low enough that I can't tell if she's doing the tech or something else. XD
That might've been a tech. All the good stuff happens at :49.
Will this work with Squirtle, he has a very good duck, and despite crawling, another way to move forward in a duck could change this guy up.
By the way, I saw this video where Ganondorfs wizard kick and a bunch of other moves just went over squirtle when he ducked, pretty funny!
I remember trying to Wavedash with Luigi and Sheik and it just didn't work out. I think their crawl just gets in the way. They might be able to do it, but the timing and buttons that have to pressed may be a little more demanding compared to non-crawling characters. I hope it works out though. A Wavedashing Squirtle = Top Tier!
Oh nice. Now Pit has two Wavedashes for his spacing game :D
I would like to see a better edited video because it is kinda hard to see the "wavedash" among the many trials but good thinking with this. ^_^
Yeah sorry 'bout that. I'm still working on Pit. Hopefully, I'll have a couple of decent quality Pit Demos up soon.:)

AJiggaG

Smash Apprentice
people need to stop hating on this technique. It looks cool and is interesting. It obviously needs to be explored more and practiced and who knows it may have some applications. I remember learning how to wavedash in melee and thinking to myself "what is the point, this is so hard to do i dont think i can even use it in battle." Thats when I had the baby wavedashes and my shield would pop out. All im saying is give it a chance and it may turn out to be useful when people get good at it.

kupo15

Smash Hero
ok if you want, you can send me the replays and Ill give you a better quality vid. It would have to be edited still of course ;)

BrawlBro

Smash Ace
samus demo 5 check out at about 1:40

you get a huge slide wavedash/dodge. If that could be mastered, well you would have to be an idiot to say it isnt useful.

Im glad your really trying with this, we got nothing to lose looking into this and everything to gain.

Xona

Smash Apprentice
That way to wavedash definitely appears useful, WoodyWiggins.

I also found a way to Wavedash, but this only works for Pit, Meta Knight, and arguably Charzard.
First you have to activate a glide, then pick up speed. Then you must angle your glide to run as paralel to the ground as possible. If you do all this right, you will crash-land and skid some good distance (unless you're using Charizard). Then you have to be able to link it to something, that's where a bug comes in. Just press A right before impact and you will now skid while standing straight up. This is a WAY better Waveland than it is a Wavedash. If you have trouble watch my video, at this url:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swB7TlXOeus

Copy and paste the above URL into your internet browser
Please note that the video quality isn't that great and the audio quality is ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE.
You can link this to a downsmash. There are many more uses left to be found.

BurningCrusader777

Smash Journeyman
Sorry if this has already been said, but I think that this is determined by the character's traction. Likewise, the lengths of this and each character's Glide Toss should be in proportion to some extent; in other words:

Characters that should have especially Long Pivotboosts:
Luigi
Metaknight
Pit
Marth
Captain Falcon
Sonic

Not necessarily in order though, except for Luigi having a really long one; That I'm sure of.

Top Bottom