• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Captain Falcon Stage Discussion Stage 25- Green Hill Zone

Red Alloy

Smash Apprentice
Any stage I post in this thread is legal. http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=5097738#post5097738

There's no denying that the stage you play on has a determinate effect on game play, and with a character who ranks as low as Falcon, knowing what you're doing on a particular stage can mean the difference between winning and losing. Such an important factor deserves to be discussed in detail.

It is for this reason I have made this thread. Here we can discuss individual strategies for Falcon on the week's stage of interest. After the stage in question has been up for a week, I'll post a summary of the discussion in this first post and set the stage (pun intended) for the next week. With that said, we'll start out simple.

Week 1- Final Destination

General Description: Flat. Not much else aside from stage lips.

When Playing Here: This stage is certainly not one of Falcon's best. Projectiles are easily spammed on this stage, as are chaingrabs. As if Falcon didn't have enough problems with these characters...

That doesn't mean it's all bad, though. With Falcon's speed, the length of the stage shouldn't be that big of a deal. The air is wide open, so jumping over projectiles should be no problem. To go with that, Falcon's recovery isn't gimped as badly by the lips as it is with others. Even with these small advantages, the disadvantages out weigh them by far. Considering how common this stage is, this is something Falcon's going to have to get around.

Day 2- Battlefield

General Description: A small stage consisting of one main platform and three smaller ones above arranged in a triangle. Has stage lips to a degree.

When Playing Here: This is arguably one of Falcon's best stages, if not the best. Camping and chaingrabbing are much harder here because of the platforms, so this advantage should be used as much as possible. Falcon can also attack amply from underneath with SH'd aerials and even some ground attacks thanks to his long legs. Falcon's arsenal is at full potential here. In summation, here's a quote from BananaTrooper.

Battlefield is the single greatest stage ever made.
Day 3- Smashville

General Description: A relatively docile stage featuring one main platform and another, smaller platform moving back and forth above.

When Playing Here: This is also one of Falcon's better stages. The lips on it are slight, but enough to make stage spiking a useful tactic when edgeguarding, which is key to Falcon's game. Its small size also keeps the enemy in close quarters, where Falcon's at his best. It's the perfect stage - except for chaingrabs and projectile spam. The platform helps with this, but since it moves in and out so much, it's not as helpful as it could be. All things considered, This is still a great stage for Falcon, and one we should be seeing a lot of.

Day 4- Lylat Cruise

General Description: A mostly flat stage with slight curves on either end. Above this bottom platform sit 3 relatively parallel platforms. From time to time, the whole stage will tilt slightly left to right, making for an interesting stage.

When Playing Here: The opinions on this stage are rather mixed. Some say it's good thanks to the tilting disrupting projectiles and recoveries of enemies, and platforms just generally helping Falcon. Others say it's bad because the tilting gimps Falcon's recoveries as well as his opponent's, making it hard to reach the ledge or that the tilt can let short characters escape his jab and tilts. It's obvious we've got a double-edged sword in our hands. We must use it to the best of our ability while not letting the other guy do the same .

Day 5- Yoshi's Island (Brawl)

General Description: Another flat stage featuring one platform about 2/3 the stage length in the middle. Along with that, platforms rise up on either side beneath ghosts, but they don't last long.

When Playing Here: Yoshi's Island offers Falcon some great benefits.. One nice thing is not being able to get stuck beneath the stage. The small overall size can lead to quick KOs, which is always a good thing. The platform is a little on the high side, so tilts can't reach it, and the tilting can make it harder to place hits, but a platform's a platform. The opinion on this stage is generally positive thanks to being so straightforward. It would be wise to frequent this stage.

Day 6- Halberd

General Description: This is where the stages get a little more complex. The stage starts in a hangar (hereto referred to as Phase 1). In this phase, there is a lone platform above and a flat surface with walk-off ledges. After a few seconds, the stage takes off and Phase 1 ends while Phase 2 begins. Phase 2 consists of the platform above with a larger platform beneath. This lower platform curves upwards at the edges. After about a minute and a half, Phase 3 begins. This take place on the actual Halberd with the single platform and a flat surface below. In the background, the "Combo Cannon" launches a flurry of obstacles including a laser, a bomb, and a claw. After Phase 3, Phases 2 and 3 alternate until the end of the match.

When Playing Here: Phase 2 is well oriented for Falcon's style. Simple, small, a platform... it's perfect. One interesting thing to not is that one can pass through the lower platform with an Upb. Use this to your advantage and don't let your opponent do the same. Phase 3, being wider than Phase 2, makes the platform less useful and promotes camping, something to watch out for. The obstacles really aren't much to worry about, as they're all predictable and give fair warning as to when they arrive. Just avoid them. Or better yet, hit your opponent into them. Overall, this stage is in Falcon's favor, for what that's worth. As always, though, it's an uphill battle.

Day 7- Delfino Plaza

General Description: http://youtube.com/watch?v=lp1w_8OIusM <---Most of the stage, if not all.

When Playing Here: Similar to Halberd, this stage flies around all over Delfino Plaza. These segments of flight function in the same manner as Halberd, and as such should be treated the same way. Falcon's best option here is to water spike. A lot. If don't do this, you're passing up an easy kill that could, in the end, cost you the game. That's about it for this stage. Overall, it's pretty good.

Day 8- Castle Siege

General Description: The first part (Phase I) takes place on a tower atop a castle. there are 2 platforms and a sloped surface in this phase. After about 30 sec., the Transition Phase leads into Phase 2, the interior of the castle. Here there are 2 breakable statues holding platforms and above those are flags. This segment has walk-off edges, so be careful. After another transition, the 3rd Phase appears, consisting of a single tilting platform above a lake of fire. The ground is somewhat rocky and uneven. The 3 Phases repeat in this manner until the match ends.

When Playing Here: Umm... Don't get hit?

Day 9- Brinstar

General Description: One main platform with a rocky surface, two platforms on the side, and one platform above. Near the center of the main platform, there is a spot with destructible ground that, if destroyed, will separate the left and right halves of the stage. The side platforms also have destroyable pillars beneath them, and when these are gone, the platforms become angled. Both of these regenerate after awhile. Below, the lava level rises and falls, at times engulfing the stage and causing damage to the combatants.

When Playing Here: Stages with lava are always a little risky. The lava can help, but it can also hinder. Knowing when the lava levels will rise and fall is key to winning on this stage. That said, this stage can be a camping deterrent thanks to the lava. Use the lava to your advantage and you'll be just fine.

Day 10- Distant Planet

General Description: This stage has one main platform with three platforms above. These platforms sink with the weight of opponents. On the right of this, there will sometimes be a Bulborb. This creature can be used as a platform. Occasionally, it open its mouth, and will eat you if you're close enough. On the left, there is a slope leading to a walk-off. It will rain sometimes, and you will just slide down the slope. Pellet Posies grow on most parts of the stage and can be thrown at opponents.

When Playing Here: Watch out for the Bulborb. It can unexpectedly kill you easily if you're not prepared. You can hang from its lower lip, though(?), so this is a useful tactic for surprise attacks form below. Try to hit your enemies into its mouth for easy KOs. The slope is nice because you can force attacks on your foe when they don't have a choice or force an approach.

Day 11- Frigate Orpheon

When Playing Here: The right side of Phase 1 cannot be ledgegrabbed. This can be bad, but you can abuse this against people with tethers/bad recoveries. The flipping of the stage can be problematic, but if you now the stage well or get airborne, you can deal with this easily. This segment is also good for gimping.

Day 12- Luigi's Mansion

When Playing Here: The house is your best friend. Don't hurt it and don't let others hurt it, and you will be rewarded with defense from projectiles. Going up from the lower level can be a pain, so stay up top as much as possible. Play it like FD if the house gets destroyed. Be careful off the stage: the ledges can be hard to see.

Day 13- Pictochat

To be added.

Day 14- Rainbow Cruise

To be added

Day 15- Onett

When Playing Here: There really isn't a lot to say about Onett. Just avoid the cars (try to walltech) and Wall Infinites (Don't get grabbed).

Day 16- Green Greens

I think this really sums it all up:

Avoid the bombs. Duh. I hate this stage and wouldn't recommend ever playing on it.
Day 17- Pokemon Stadium (Melee)

Beware the lips. The start is pretty neutral and can be good for Falcon. Same with Grass. Ground and fire have walls, so don't get grabbed. You can use the walls to wall kick for a surprise attack. The windmill sucks.

Day 18- Hanenbow

This stage kills Falcon's ability to actually do anything. The leaves move when you hit them, so be aware. However, due to how the water functions, it can help against people with vertical recoveries. Also, remember this essential tip:

if all the leaves turn red a flower grows on top of the tree.
Stage 19- Jungle Japes

jungles japes suck!
Stage 20- Pokemon Stadium (Brawl)

Conveyer belts are annoying. Ice is slippery. Aerial Falcon Kick can get you grounded on the wind phase. Don't get grabbed on the ground phase.

Stage 22- Corneria

Avoid the bottom right. Actually, avoid Corneria.

Stage 23- Pirate Ship

Water spike is nice. Get them under the ship when it flies into the air. You can wall infinite when the ship gets wrecked.

Talk away!

EDIT: Now down to 1 day for discussion.
EDIT2: I've decided to be more realistic and just call it "Stage" instead of day.

Doggalina

Smash Lord
Chicagoland (NW Indiana)/Purdue West Lafayette
I really don't like FD as a Falcon stage. You can get projectile spammed to hell here, and the lack of platforms hurts. Moves like utilt, SH uair, and the knee all work better with platforms (specifically platforms about you).

However, the wide open space does allow you to take advantage of Falcon's run speed, and the funky edge allows for some sexy wall jumps from ledgehang.

EDIT: I like this. Lots of productive thread activity going on in the Falcon boards lately.

Demon_Fox

Smash Apprentice
I like FD. It doesn't seem to me that it's harder to hit wit the knee. Actually the lack of platforms forces your opponents to face you 'like a man'. But projectile spamming could really be an issue since FD is quite long but if you stick to your opponent this should be an obstacle that can be overcome.

Doggalina

Smash Lord
I just fought a Snake on FD. Pretty decent one at that. I got him to one stock 165%. One of my closest matches against this Snake. The lack of platforms seems to help fight Snake. You don't have to worry about that nasty utilt AS much.

The open space let me use Falcon speed to his fullest. I was able to run like crazy, grab and throw nades, and do a pretty good job. The ledge did gimp me once, though ><.

Red Alloy

Smash Apprentice
I personally don't like FD, mostly just because I think it's overplayed, but I really don't like it when I'm Falcon. Beyond projectile spam and CGs, the lips can make recovery a hassle.

Red Alloy

Smash Apprentice
Alright, that's a week. :ohwell: I think that's too long, so we'll shorten it to a day from now on.

Today's discussion will be on Battlefield

Wogrim

Smash Lord
Sorry I missed this thread when it was made (and it oviously hasn't been bumped in a while).
Battlefield: I really don't like this stage because it is too small. The platforms hinder aerial movement and make it much harder to approach someone below one. The only real good thing for Falcon is that UTilt, lagless knee, and lagless dair (for the nipple spike; I'm coining "Nipple Storming" if the term doesn't already exist) all hit someone standing on the side platforms. Most people avoid landing on those side platforms as much as possible (the only situation where they seem to jump on them a lot is for recovering when I have the ground covered) so you probably won't get to do them much, but know that they do work. I recommend you practice in training so you can see the hitboxes on them, because the areas on which they hit someone on the platform are not very wide.

I still prefer FD just because it's harder to approach projectile spammers with a platform above them. As for FD, I like it because it lets you use Falcon's high mobility to chase and approach in whatever manner you see fit. (Sorry I don't know any tricks for this one).

Edit: I forgot to mention you should go in advance editing on the first post and change the thread title

Demon_Fox

Smash Apprentice
I like Battlefield better than FD because it offers platforms to escape to when you're being camped. You can also hit knees pretty easily on opponents standing on platforms above you. Basically the platforms support Falcon's air-game in every way.

BananaTrooper

Smash Journeyman
Battlefield is the single greatest stage ever made. I kid you not lol, it's awesome. Probably one of falcon's best stages.

DarkKyanite

Smash Journeyman
Battlefield is the single greatest stage ever made. I kid you not lol, it's awesome. Probably one of falcon's best stages.
i have same thoguht with u
battle field and lylay cruise's plateforms maximize falcon's uair juggle potential
and utilt kill chance.

FD's not my stage since the approaching options' very limited
this isn't melee, short hop through half of the FD and knee's gone
even sakurai couldn't handle the amount of awsomeness that move has so he took it out.

edit, btw guys
cheer for another falcon top 8 in tourny
i got 5th place yesterday in San Diego brawl tourny with falcon all the way
defeated all the meta knights in the way and lost to a snake user in winner bracket
and lost to my friend's marth in loser bracket

the marth game was really close it could went either way,
but snake...... i don't even know what to say, but i'll try to do better next time

epic of DE

Smash Journeyman
Newark, DE (only a mile from University of Delawar
Personally I love Smashville more than all the other stages when I use falcon. I'm no pro (I don't even own the game to be honest) but I use a style that leans towards the ssb 64 falcon and I get good results.

Since the stage is closer to the bottom, as in you don't have very far to fall till you die falcon can perform a ton of edge-guard and attacks while still being able to recover easily.

What makes it my favorite personally is the hovering platform that moves across the stage as I can just throw U-airs when they're on it when I'm under them.

Congrats Dark for placing well in a tournie when fighting against those kind of matches.

Ayaz18

Smash Champion
Smashville is also one of Falcon's best stages, because of the one platform but also because it has a nice lip allowing you to (when the opponent is hanging for the ledge) Bair them into a beautiful stage spike, but just running off the stage then mashing the C-stick backwards to stage spike

downsides are that it so easy to be CG by the IC from zero-death grabs because of it's small size, but regardless another nice stage

Iwan

Smash Ace
smashville's a nice stage for falcon, in my opinion. The lips at the end of the stage make stage spiking not all that difficult if the opportunity presents itself, and the extra floating platform tends to allow you to, more often than not, edge guard the hell out of opponents. More so than other stages because the main "stage" is quite low and close to the bottom of the screen. So basically, you can usually jump off stage, spam Uairs way off stage, and manage to recover.

Cons would include being easily chain grabbed (flat surface), and also a disadvantage against campers? that's arguable....but mostly upsides for falcon here, imo.

Blackbelt

Smash Lord
The fact that Smashville is such a small stage really helps Falcon keep pressure on the characters that need pressure kept on them.

I hope that makes sense.

Revolutionary1804

Smash Apprentice
smashville is where all the magick happens honestly, the best combos and the biggest humiliations. it's a good stage both because it allows u to escape campers and u can recover without being gimped depending on where the moving platform is.
overall its my favorite stage aside from battlefield FD and yoshis island

DarkKyanite

Smash Journeyman
lylat cruise's not my stage
but some nice uair juggles can be done there with ease
just like the melee battle field, the ledges of the stage might make u accidently suicide if u r not careful, but it also applys to the opponent.

in my opinion the back ground of the stage's really bothering, during tournys if u r unlucky and was asigned to use some small TV and face a snake player. u'll frustrately find that u get C4 and mine out of no where sometimes even grenades.

Nowaytoeatatater

Smash Ace
I ****in' love Lylat. The tilt and platforms make camping much harder, Falcon's utilt can hit people on platforms above, and the stage's underside just screams "HI I'M LYLAT CRUISE WATCH ME GIMP RECOVERIES". Just don't get caught there yourself. Fortunately, that's somewhat hard to do with Falcon.

Overall, I'd say it's Falcon's best neutral stage.

mr_kennedy44

Smash Journeyman
I agree with Nowaytoeatatater. LC is by far my favourite neutral stage with Falcon. The stage tilting hinders campers which Falcon hates.

Oh and hi Falcon community. I'm new Falcon main. So hopefully I can help with Falcon's metagame.

BananaTrooper

Smash Journeyman
Not enough love for Battlefield yet, I still wanna add to it

-Every SHed aerial will hit an opponent standing/lying ontop one of the 2 side platforms
-If on top of either the 2 side platforms, drop down > bair, uair, and sweetspot knee (if you're fast) work
-running off the 2 side platforms towards the centre and initiating a knee at the beginning of your fall will result in a sweetspot knee
-top platform is perfect distance for surprise up b.
-colour scheme is too good

As for lylat cruise, I don't mind it as much as say Yoshi's Island. The platforms aren't the ideal height, but at least theyre there.

For FD, this may seem small, but you might wanna add it in anyways. The FD edge is far less of a problem for falcon's recovery than say Marth's: Even if falcon's up b goes under the lip, you can still DI onto the stage. this might give him a teensy edge over a select few of the roster on FD. Lol.

Hero Falcon

Smash Rookie
Lylat Cruise

+Utilt owns platforms
+ If you get stuck under the stage, unlike others, you can still with the momentum of your recovery go around into the ledge.

- Hate Jab against short characters here since they can duck under them and punish when its tilted towards them.
Overall I think this is a + stage for Falcon.

Red Alloy

Smash Apprentice
I'll add all of this, but just so everyone knows, after I've gone through all the stages, I'll open the discussion to all stages discussed, so if anyone has anything, save it until then, please. No offense, I just don't want anything getting confusing.

Anywho, the next stage is Yoshi's Island (Brawl)

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
Yoshi's Island:

Terrain is great for aerial Raptor Boost slides (for whatever that's worth)
Floating platform alternates in height/slope which helps with some moves
High ceiling helps Falcon against characters with good up trajectory moves (Ike, Luigi, etc.)
Somewhat narrow width helps with KOing.
Decent depth allows for recovery from below stage/spiking if you're lucky.
Platforms that appear help for edgeguarding with Uair and Bair, Falcon's UpB keeps him from being demolished by such tactics by and large.

Overall I'd say Falcon plays pretty well here but there's nothing that about the level that really gives him an advantage over anyone else (which is how I view almost every level in the game).

One note on Battlefield is to not play against DK there.

Wogrim

Smash Lord
I like Yoshi's Island except that the platform is too high and tilts, which makes it difficult to chase enemies that land on it. The platforms that appear can be convenient, but I don't like to rely on them. Oh and not having to worry about being stuck under the lip of the stage is nice.

Revolutionary1804

Smash Apprentice
the stage is pretty small leading to some early ko's which aren't always that bad. secondly the platform does titl but it is a platform nonetheless and therefore is a better stage then say FD (even though i like FD equally if not more)
also this is one reason why this stage pwnz: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5M7Ck3E8TE

lol a man has to brag sometimes...

Hero Falcon

Smash Rookie
Yoshi's Island

There really isn't anything to say about the stage. Its pretty straight forward. Just like any stage with higher platforms which you cant reach with tilts, you instead focus on aerials to hit them from underneath.

The little slopes on the sides just get taken advantage of by Yoshi and anyone with a downB attack that sends them vertically down, so they can slide of the stage right off for safety.

So overall nothing special.

Wogrim

Smash Lord
I really like Halberd in the air, since it keeps it simple and the platform is pretty useful, although I hate it when certain characters go underneath the stage to abuse the fact that you can come up through it. The landed phase is a bit too long, and seems to help campers. As for the the traps in the background, the only one that bugs me is the claw, because it doesn't give a nice UI thing like the laser so that you know when it's coming, and it doesn't come super-slow like the bomb.

Doggalina

Smash Lord
The claw hates me. It goes after me every time. I don't mind the laser, though. You can easily DI out of it before you get knocked back.

I recommend that you play this stage a lot so you get a feel for when it lands. I've done some offstage stuff that never would've worked unless it was landing. It lets you be a lot more aggressive.

SmashBrother2008

Smash Lord
Wow. If you can't play decently on all of the stages then you haven't really mastered the game yet. I understand that there are some stages that get annoying to fight on but I feel like I need to have a strategy for each one.

Doggalina

Smash Lord
Wow. If you can't play decently on all of the stages then you haven't really mastered the game yet. I understand that there are some stages that get annoying to fight on but I feel like I need to have a strategy for each one.
Huh? If I understand everything correctly, you CAN ban stages in a set. Also, instead of random neutrals, it's looking like there will be stage strike system. It is quite feasible for you to avoid a stage either a) you don't like or b) gimps your character.

Stage knowledge is very important, however. If you had the PokéFloats memorized in Melee and your opponent didn't, you had a significant advantage.

Red Alloy

Smash Apprentice
This thread isn't really about a strategy in particular. It's mostly just good things to remember, general tips, etc.

Anyway, today's stage is Delfino Plaza

Revolutionary1804

Smash Apprentice
delfino plaza is a good stage honestly speaking. it allows for our bad recovery to be saved by the ground and falcon can spike pretty well when in the water. also u can chain fthrows near the fountain and set up for an utilt
meh its a 6~7/10

Top Bottom