• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A list of which Final Smashes Toad can and can't Block/avoid

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
A while back, White Pikmin asked whether Toad could block and avoid some Final Smashes. Yea I know theres technically already a thread for this but I thought it deserved some attention. If theres already a list like this then I'm very very sorry :(
Edit: Right this is starting to annoy me slightly but perhaps it's my fault in not making it clear. I'll put it in big letters for people.

I am, in no way whatsoever, reccomending that you use Toad to block the blockable Final Smashes. This Thread was created merely for the interest of people and also because I was curious. I highly reccomend you DON'T use Toad. If you want to know how to avoid Final Smashes then look at my other guide

If that's not enough then...well I don't know what is

In this list, I'll simply put down whether or not Toad can reflect, block or even completly avoid. If anyone can help me with this research it would be much appriciated :)
Here goes:

Mario
No. Tried several times but Peach and Toad just get enflamed :( Even if it could be blocked you'd still get caught up by the rest of the fire

Donkey Kong
Yes and No. You can reflect spores if you get lucky and use Toad at the sound waves coming out of the Bongos if they're coming in your direction. So it's technically a yes but you're probably better off just floating away because D.K is invincible

Link/Toon Link:
To my knowledge, No. It might be because I'm too slow or it simply can't be blocked :( I'm asumming they're pretty much the same cause I haven't unlocked Toon Link yet. I'll make sure to test it when I do

Samus
You can reflect spores if Toad makes contact with the beam but thats not going to save from the rest of the plasma-like death coming your way. So No

ZSS
Again, No. Although if you're daft enough to try then you deserve get lazered :chuckle:

Kirby
YES!! You can indeed completly avoid Kirbys cooking pot of doom. The timing is very difficult to do but by unleashing Toad at the point where Kirby has the utensils he's holding at their highest level, Peach will stay put and you won't get sucked in the cooking pot. So it's difficult but a most definate Yes

Fox/Falco/Wolf
I'm assuming all the Landmasters are the same (I haven't unlocked Wolf yet) and it's another No. Toad can't seem to block the gunfire or the rolling/landing damage

Pikachu
Yes and No. You can reflect spores at the giant electical ball as it whizzes into you but generally you'll just get hit as it the hitboxes reach the back of you. Oh and you can't reflect the electric pulse Pika gives off when he presses A

Marth
Holy ****ing ****. You CAN completly avoid Marth's final smash. With ninja like timing, Toad will soak up the attack and you'll take no damage whatsoever. It's very difficult but it's a Yes :)

Mr Game and Watch
Nope. You'll just get hit. You're much better off floating over it or just getting out the way

Luigi
Well...what exactly is there to block? Toad just looks like a Shroob out of M&L:pT in the Negative Zone and trying to block something that technically doesn't hit you is pointless. Just get out of it asap. P.S This doesn't have anything to do with Toad but heres a word of warning. Generally you move in slo-mo when in the Negative Zone. If you try to float out of Negative Zone and you stay floating once you're out of it, you'll continue to move in slo-mo. So yea, watch yourself

Diddy Kong
Yes and No. If Diddy tries to fly into you and you use Toad, Toad will reflect spores and you'll take no damage and Diddy will simply fly through you. Whats even better is that you'll still be invincible after the spores are released so if Diddy tries to fly immediatly into you again after passing through you you won't take any damage. Infact, if Diddy tries to be clever and fly into you and stop so that he is hovering in the same place you're standing, you can keep on using Toad and you won't take any damage from those fire barrels. The biggest downside is that you can't block his explosive peanuts meaning if he hovers where you're standing, he could fire peanuts at you and Toad can't do anything about it

Zelda/Sheik
Lol No. If the Light Arrow can stop the King of Darkness in his tracks, a little mushroom man isn't going to defend you against it is he?

Pit
Toad > Kamakazie angels it seems. It's a Yes but I guess it's also a No. If those nutcases charge into you, unleashing Toad releases spores and makes them bounce off. You can even hit Pit with the spores because he isn't invincible during the Kamakazie attack of angels. However, the timing is difficult and using Toad leaves you very vunerable indeed. You'll normally get hit by another angel if you reflect one because of the after lag Toad has. Pit could also take a swipe at you so use with caution

Meta Knight:
Yes. It has the same affect as though you've side-stepped dodged. It's difficult to do as you have you have Toad out just before Meta sweeps his cloak over you. I've only managed to do it twice and even then, you have to be the right distance from him or Toad won't work. When it works, it works very well and does the job nicely but imo it's far too risky for avoiding what is a highly lethal Final Smash if hit with it

I'll try to update this as much as possible. If anyone can offer me some info or give me some help I would be very grateful indeed. I'll try getting round to doing all of them and give them all some thorough testing.

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
NNID
RicardoAvocado
Pokèmon Trainer
Erm...What do you think? It's a big fat No. Even if you could you'd still get blasted by the Final Smash as Toad wouldn't protect for long enough

Ike
Yes. By releasing Toad at the right time, Ike's Great Aether will miss you completly and act as though he has used it when no one's around. Again, the timing is extremly difficult but all the same it works.

Snake
No. It would appear that Toad and Explosives don't mix. Standing still and trying to reflect spores at someone who isn't even on the stage will get you nowhere. Except perhaps off the stage

Peach
An obvious No. Toad won't stop you from falling asleep OR taking the damage. Best just float around until the Final Smash is over

Yoshi
Yes and No. Very similar to Diddy's, you can use Toad to protect yourself/reflect spores when Yoshi comes flying into you. However, theres a high chance that the hitboxes will reach the back of you and Toad can't counter the fire he breathes. Oh and he can't counter those huge fireballs Yoshi spits out.

Ganondorf
To my knowledge, No. Trying to use Toad will just leave you a sitting duck for Ganon to smack you into the ground and then charge at you

Ice Climbers
Hmm...Yes and No. As long as you're not being stunned by actually touching the giant Ice mountain, you can use the cold air that's damaging you as ammo for Toad to hit people with spores, like the Ice Climbers since they aren't invincible during the Final Smash. Having said that, it's not a very clever idea as you'll take a lot of damage. Best just floating out the way until it's over

King DeDeDe
No. You might be able to reflect the normal junk he throws at you but Toad won't do anything against DDD's Final Smash. Best off just floating out the way since DDD can't do anything whilst using his Final Smash

Lucario
...Would it matter if you could? Its a big No. Lucario is invincible whilst using his Final Smash so even if you could jump up to try and reflect some damage at him it wouldn't work.

Ness/Lucas
Pretty much the same as what I said for Lucario. Another big No

Sonic
If you honestly though that a little mushroom man could protect you from a space surviving, robot crunching golden super hedgehog then you'll believe anything :chuckle: it is of course a huge No.

Bowser
Finally, one where Toad is actually useful. Bowser might not flinch when he's Giga Bowser but he still takes damage and Toad can reflect spores which do indeed damage him. Whats more, Bowser is very slow so you can normally see his attacks coming a mile off. By using Toad, you can reflect whatever is coming at you and damage Bowser enough so you can KO him at the end of his Final Smash. So it's a very big Yes

Wario
Yes and No. He might be super powerful but he's still fairly human and Toad can reflect spores at him if he attacks you. Unlike Giga Bowser though, he won't take any damage so you're probably just better off running/floating away

R.O.B
To my knowledge, No. I couldn't get close enough to even try to Toad him as his laser just stunned me. So I'm pretty sure it's a No

Olimar
No. There isn't anything to reflect and you can't avoid Olimar's shapeship crashing into the stage using Toad either

Captain Falcon
Amazingly, Yes. By unleashing Toad at the right moment, the Blue Falcon will zoom straight past you. However, like most Final Smashes you can avoid, the timing is very difficult

Jigglypuff
Oops I forgot about her...or him w/e. Not that it matters as it's another obvious No. There's nothing to hit you so...all your doing is creating the possibilty of getting blown away whilst using Toad which will likely get you killed because you can't do anything to get back on the stage

And there you have it. That's a list of all the Final Smashes and whether or not Toad can counter them. If you're too lazy to read all them then heres a quick list of Final Smashes and whether or not Toad can block them. Yes means he can, Yes/No means he can for some/part of the Final Smash but it doesn't mean you won't get hit by another part of the Final Smash and No means he can't. Also, if he can, I'll put down the timing needed for the Final Smashes he can block/avoid

No
Mario
Link/Toon Link
Samus/ZSS
Fox/Faclo/Wolf
Mr Game and Watch
Luigi
Zelda/Sheik
Pokèmon Trainer
Snake
Peach
Ganondorf
King DeDeDe
Lucario
Ness/Lucas
Sonic
R.O.B
Olimar
Jigglypuff

Yes/No
Donkey Kong
Pikachu
Diddy Kong
Pit
Yoshi
Ice Climbers
Wario

Yes
Kirby - Difficult timing, it has to be used when Kirby's utensils he's holding reached their highest point in the air when Kirby is holding them
Marth - Difficult, depends on when you react and if you are far away enough to react to it
Meta Knight - Very Difficult, depends on if you can predict when hes going to use it. Toad also has to be in the right spot
Ike - Very Difficult as you have pretty much no warning of when he's going to use it. If you can't predict when then you have literally no time at all to bring out Toad when he uses it
Bowser - Easy to reflect spores back at because of his slow attacks. Whilst he may not flinch, he'll still take damage and a fair chunk of it because he's so big so all the spores will hit him. Depends on the predictablity/speed of the player
Captain Falcon - Easier than most of the others. If you have quick reactions you can tell see when the Blue Falcon is about to come at you because Falcon shouts before it does

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
A while back, White Pikmin asked whether Toad could block and avoid some Final Smashes. Yea I know theres technically already a thread for this but I thought it deserved some attention.
Okay, flamethrower off.

And while this is all theoretically great info to have, you can usually avoid some of the more Toad-able Final Smashes much more easily through simple rolling and the like. The only reason I could think of ever trying to to Toad a FS would be as a completly last resort, and even then you'll probably still have options. :ohwell:

Great work though.

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
NNID
RicardoAvocado
Okay, flamethrower off.

And while this is all theoretically great info to have, you can usually avoid some of the more Toad-able Final Smashes much more easily through simple rolling and the like. The only reason I could think of ever trying to to Toad a FS would be as a completly last resort, and even then you'll probably still have options. :ohwell:

Great work though.
Phew. Flamethrowers hurt :(

I know that other options are a lot more viable than using Toad. Of course they are. I'm not trying to say 'Omgz guyz Toad pwns FS' :laugh: but ever since White Pikmin asked the question of whether Toad could block some Final Smashes I was very curious and it didn't seem like anyone was going to research it so I thought I do it first.
But yea like you said, Toad should only really be used as a last resort due to his unreliabilty and due to the fact he can't even block some Final Smashes. :ohwell:

Morrigan

/!\<br>\¡/
You could add that ROB is completely invincible during his FS. And also you can spotdodge Kirby's, I find that easier than Toading.

;)

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
You could add that ROB is completely invincible during his FS. And also you can spotdodge Kirby's, I find that easier than Toading.

;)
Well, if we're just going to talk about how to avoid certain Final Smashes, then: Pokemon Trainer's is a joke for Peach. Seeing as it has pretty long start-up time till the actual beams shoot out, just up-b and voila!, completly avoided.

Morrigan

/!\<br>\¡/
Oh right, I forgot this was about Toad...
If I were OP I would expand the topic a bit and make a Avoiding FS mini guide or something :p

CedricIzDead

Smash Journeyman
Yay!!!!

I wondered when someone would do this! I'm a fan of using Toad at the right time (though, maybe not for FS). I'll prob try to use them though.

Thanks!!!

Morrigan

/!\<br>\¡/
Obviously, no Toad can resist to those tentacles.

(Oh....turtle, I thought we were talking about Final Smashes lol)

Newuser12345215

Smash Journeyman
Marth
Holy ****ing ****. You CAN completly avoid Marth's final smash. With ninja like timing, Toad will soak up the attack and you'll take no damage whatsoever. It's very difficult but it's a Yes
Here's a tip for anyone(all characters) against Marth, you can simply just dodge or dodge roll or airdodge Marth's final smash. If you dodge it, Marth will try to attack you, but he won't KO you with his FS(cause you dodged it), thus stopping his FS and voiding it.

(I know you guys know how to dodge but in case anyone here is new to the game and doesn't know how to dodge, to dodge:
Press and hold the "Shield" button:
1. Press left, right, or down WHILE holding shield.
Left or right gives you invincibility for a little while, and you roll left/right. Dodging down keeps you in place while giving you a little invicinbility.
2. To dodge in the air, press shield in the air. Airdodging gives you invincibility for a little while. )

In fact, it has become very easy for me to dodge Marth's FS after only a couple games against CPU Marths.

I never tried Toading Marth's FS, but Toad is a lot slower than a simple airdodge or regular dodge right? In which case, dodging might be better than Toading.

Once you learn how to dodge Marth's FS(it's really easy to figure out), Marth's incredible FS IS NOTHING AHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHA!

Of course, I don't tell the people I play with in FFA how to dodge his FS because I usually play Marth myself and of course, FINAL SMASH OF DOOM!

Though, IMO, Falco's Landmaster = most cheapest FS ever. I mean, it lasts long enough for you to get 3 KOs off of the same CPU in training mode(I can usually get 1-2 KOs off of the same guy in regular play). If Falco gets his Final Smash at all, it's generally guarenteed that he'll get at least one KO per player UNLESS:
A. He's a bad Falco player.
Or
B. You're good at dodging his Landmaster OF CHEAPNESS.

To get mulitple KOs off of the same person(or to avoid being KOed multiple times) per land master:

Once a person is KOed, they will respawn with invincibility. IF they move AT ALL while they're "invincible", you can just lift them off and KO them again. If not, Landmaster can't KO them(yet). Most people may not know this so if you're playing Falco OR AGAINST Falco(or Fox, or Wolf) use this information to help.

Ike
Yes. By releasing Toad at the right time, Ike's Great Aether will miss you completly and act as though he has used it when no one's around. Again, the timing is extremly difficult but all the same it works.
I never tried dodging Ike's FS (Marth's is so easy to see coming while Ike's isn't) but if you can also simply just sidestep or dodge it, it might be easier than Toading.

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
NNID
RicardoAvocado
Right...Newuser, that info is all well and good but you've missed the point of this topic. This is just a list of which Final Smashes Toad can and can't block. It's purpose is simply to say which Final Smashes Toad can and can't block and how it's done. I made this because someone asked whether Toad could block Final Smashes or not.

I'm not trying to say that Toad is the best way of avoiding Final Smashes (he doesn't even work for most of them and the ones he does, he doesn't do the job well). I know air dodging and rolling are a lot more viable options and that Toad isn't very useful...which is why I created another thread giving info on what the Final Smashes were, what they did, how lethal they were and the best/worst way to dodge/avoid them. So yea, this thread is merely for those who are curious. If anyone DOES actually manage to block a Final Smash with Toad in an actual fight because they ran out of options, let me know :psycho:

Believe it or not- Game & Watches turtle breaks through toad. 0_o
Oo er...seriously? Does it reflect the spores and is it effected by how close you are? (Sorry to go off topic)

PRINCESS PEACH777

Smash Lord
Pokèmon Trainer
Erm...What do you think? It's a big fat No. Even if you could you'd still get blasted by the Final Smash as Toad wouldn't protect for long enough

Ike

Snake
No. It would appear that Toad and Explosives don't mix. Standing still and trying to reflect spores at someone who isn't even on the stage will get you nowhere. Except perhaps off the stage

Peach
An obvious No. Toad won't stop you from falling asleep OR taking the damage. Best just float around until the Final Smash is over

Yoshi
Yes and No. Very similar to Diddy's, you can use Toad to protect yourself/reflect spores when Yoshi comes flying into you. However, theres a high chance that the hitboxes will reach the back of you and Toad can't counter the fire he breathes. Oh and he can't counter those huge fireballs Yoshi spits out.

Ganondorf
To my knowledge, No. Trying to use Toad will just leave you a sitting duck for Ganon to smack you into the ground and then charge at you

Ice Climbers
Hmm...Yes and No. As long as you're not being stunned by actually touching the giant Ice mountain, you can use the cold air that's damaging you as ammo for Toad to hit people with spores, like the Ice Climbers since they aren't invincible during the Final Smash. Having said that, it's not a very clever idea as you'll take a lot of damage. Best just floating out the way until it's over

King DeDeDe
No. You might be able to reflect the normal junk he throws at you but Toad won't do anything against DDD's Final Smash. Best off just floating out the way since DDD can't do anything whilst using his Final Smash

Lucario
...Would it matter if you could? Its a big No. Lucario is invincible whilst using his Final Smash so even if you could jump up to try and reflect some damage at him it wouldn't work.

Ness/Lucas
Pretty much the same as what I said for Lucario. Another big No

Sonic
If you honestly though that a little mushroom man could protect you from a space surviving, robot crunching golden super hedgehog then you'll believe anything :chuckle: it is of course a huge No.

Bowser
Finally, one where Toad is actually useful. Bowser might not flinch when he's Giga Bowser but he still takes damage and Toad can reflect spores which do indeed damage him. Whats more, Bowser is very slow so you can normally see his attacks coming a mile off. By using Toad, you can reflect whatever is coming at you and damage Bowser enough so you can KO him at the end of his Final Smash. So it's a very big Yes

Wario
Yes and No. He might be super powerful but he's still fairly human and Toad can reflect spores at him if he attacks you. Unlike Giga Bowser though, he won't take any damage so you're probably just better off running/floating away

R.O.B
To my knowledge, No. I couldn't get close enough to even try to Toad him as his laser just stunned me. So I'm pretty sure it's a No

Olimar
No. There isn't anything to reflect and you can't avoid Olimar's shapeship crashing into the stage using Toad either

Captain Falcon
Amazingly, Yes. By unleashing Toad at the right moment, the Blue Falcon will zoom straight past you. However, like most Final Smashes you can avoid, the timing is very difficult

Jigglypuff
Oops I forgot about her...or him w/e. Not that it matters as it's another obvious No. There's nothing to hit you so...all your doing is creating the possibilty of getting blown away whilst using Toad which will likely get you killed because you can't do anything to get back on the stage

And there you have it. That's a list of all the Final Smashes and whether or not Toad can counter them. If you're too lazy to read all them then heres a quick list of Final Smashes and whether or not Toad can block them. Yes means he can, Yes/No means he can for some/part of the Final Smash but it doesn't mean you won't get hit by another part of the Final Smash and No means he can't. Also, if he can, I'll put down the timing needed for the Final Smashes he can block/avoid

No
Mario
Link/Toon Link
Samus/ZSS
Fox/Faclo/Wolf
Mr Game and Watch
Luigi
Zelda/Sheik
Pokèmon Trainer
Snake
Peach
Ganondorf
King DeDeDe
Lucario
Ness/Lucas
Sonic
R.O.B
Olimar
Jigglypuff

Yes/No
Donkey Kong
Pikachu
Diddy Kong
Pit
Yoshi
Ice Climbers
Wario

Yes
Kirby - Difficult timing, it has to be used when Kirby's utensils he's holding reached their highest point in the air when Kirby is holding them
Marth - Difficult, depends on when you react and if you are far away enough to react to it
Meta Knight - Very Difficult, depends on if you can predict when hes going to use it. Toad also has to be in the right spot
Ike - Very Difficult as you have pretty much no warning of when he's going to use it. If you can't predict when then you have literally no time at all to bring out Toad when he uses it
Bowser - Easy to reflect spores back at because of his slow attacks. Whilst he may not flinch, he'll still take damage and a fair chunk of it because he's so big so all the spores will hit him. Depends on the predictablity/speed of the player
Captain Falcon - Easier than most of the others. If you have quick reactions you can tell see when the Blue Falcon is about to come at you because Falcon shouts before it does
I tried the Marth one and it's no good i used toad in the same time Marth went throw him and smashed me

Rockin

Juggies <3
BRoomer
.............why would you even TRY to toad a Final Smash? A Final smash is suppose to be a very powerful attack that isn't easy to block or avoid. >>

Also, you'll probably just toad 2 to 3 characters out of 30, since Final Smashes cuts through anything except invincibility. The only character that can dodge majority of FSes is Zelda, and that's by pressing down B at right timing because of the invincibility frames.

PRINCESS PEACH777

Smash Lord
.............why would you even TRY to toad a Final Smash? A Final smash is suppose to be a very powerful attack that isn't easy to block or avoid. >>

Also, you'll probably just toad 2 to 3 characters out of 30, since Final Smashes cuts through anything except invincibility. The only character that can dodge majority of FSes is Zelda, and that's by pressing down B at right timing because of the invincibility frames.
OMG i don't know what was i thinking

Top Bottom