• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Heavenly Scriptures:A Pit Q&A thread!

CorruptFate

The Corrupted
So because there are so many new Pits poping up over the past few days i thought we should have a Q@A thread much like the one SamuraiPanda created for the general discussion. So if you have a simple question about Pit or the Pit Forum in any way ask it here. Anyone in the Pit comunity can give you an answer not just me because I don't know as much as some or have the time. Please quote the person you are helping as to make this easier to read, and no flaming. I hope this thread works and Happy Brawling.

Few simple answers:

-Pit currently has 2 spikes:
1. His down tilt if they are touching your feet.
2. His up smash if are hit by only the first hit box of the attack. (This is very rare)

-Pit can charge arrows to do more damage. You can also charge them longer by switching what bow stance you are in repeatedly.

-Angel Ring (AR) and Wings of Icarus (WoI) both have a wind effect that can push people away from you. AR at the end when Pit is putting away his blades, and WoI right as the wings come out.

-Wind push: Is counted as an attack and can be coutered by Marth or Ike's down B (Counter). Wind push can also be used as a counter it self. If you time it right (about the same as a power shield) then it will block any attack or projectile. It can also push people away from you.
Ex. keeping people in the air longer then expected, keeping snakes granades away from you, stopping Falco's lazer. ~This can be one of the most useful little things Pit has at his disposal as it is unexpected and can through off your opponents game.

-WoI: If you are hit right as you start your WoI you will get it back. (Normally if you are hit out of WoI you lose it and can't do it again.

-Wing renewal: If you touch the ground with Pits toes as you are using WoI (but not trully land) you can fly back up attack out of it, and you still get your jumps and your WoI back.

Both of his reflectors are slow so they may not be the best option anyway, but I use his down b for the basic things like lazers, arrows, ect. ect. it is slightly faster and has super armor on it because of the super armor even if you get hit pulling out the shield it wont stop you so if they are spamming you can still get it off.

The AR (Angel Ring) pushes you forward then pulls out the swords/reflector because of this it closes the gap with you and the projectile faster and most of the time before the reflector comes out causing you to look like an idiot and get hit over and over. The only time I use the AR for reflecting is when I am up against a snake and he uses hit up smash. The AR will hold him in place and reflect his smash attack or a pika using thunder so now it is yours for when it come down on him. The AR is more of an approach then a reflector.

If you have a few questions that you would like answered you could try here: http://xat.com/chat/room/46191042/?p=0&ss=2

Crystanium

Smash Hero
I have one! Why is Pit so awesome? :laugh: I'm just kidding.

What would be the first advanced technique that all Pit mains or Pit alternatives should learn and why?

CorruptFate

The Corrupted
I have one! Why is Pit so awesome? :laugh: I'm just kidding.

What would be the first advanced technique that all Pit mains or Pit alternatives should learn and why?
Because he has wings and swords.:chuckle:

I'd say Arrow Looping or Wing Renewal i'd say because they arn't hard to learn and are great starting points for many other AT's pit has. They also make you feel warm and fuzzy inside once you get it down. But as it has been said before learn them all.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I learned arrow looping first. This tech was the one i wanted to learn first and I'm exceptional with them. The looping is a standard that adds possibilities to the player using it, and is good for mindgames. In the hands of a skilled player, arrow looping can save them from trouble, like an Ike Fsmash. This also usually catches opponents offguard if they are not familiar with this tech.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Yup, i think i learned arrow looping first.

Stickies are nice. I hope you keep updating this thread otherwise it will be somewhat useless because ppl wont go searching for an answer lol

CorruptFate

The Corrupted
Yup, i think i learned arrow looping first.

Stickies are nice. I hope you keep updating this thread otherwise it will be somewhat useless because ppl wont go searching for an answer lol
Ill try to get page referances down for quesitions that will come up often. Also if people quote the person's question it will make it eaiser to find things with out searching the whole thing. So please try to remember that for the future if you can.

Felis

Smash Cadet
Wingdashing is essentially a slower wavedash from Melee. But it has many advantages such as canceling out projectiles.ei: cancels out Pit's arrows, Tl's arrows, Lucario's aura sphere, Samus's beam etc.

Plus its it puts space between you and your opponent.
You can do anyting out of it, ei: wingdash> Angelicstep wingdash>dashattack wingdash>tilts wingdash>smashes

It also has a windpush effect where the wingdash will push back you opponent and incoming projectiles *one that comes to mind is snakes grenades*

Good For mindgames, *opponent is like wtf?* Lastly it looks cool and has style which is what Pit is all about.

-Felis

kupo15

Smash Hero
What he said. I have noticed a tremendous improvement in my wavedashing applications for melee which proves just how similar they are. The startup is almost just as fast as a wavedash but the ending of it is way slower. Another good Application is against aerials. The wind push will push the aerial ever so slightly out of range.

CorruptFate

The Corrupted
A dash attack can be shield grabbed most of the time. And what I do with a wing dash is as i am mid range I wing dash away from them out of there range then as they have ending lag I hit with a f tilt or F smash.

Reflecting puts lag on you and stops your advance.

kupo15

Smash Hero
just wondering why angelic step is on there. I haven't seen much confusion or threads about that. And I would say add wingdashing also but then this could turn into another compendium. But at least it would be updated :urg:

CorruptFate

The Corrupted
just wondering why angelic step is on there. I haven't seen much confusion or threads about that. And I would say add wingdashing also but then this could turn into another compendium. But at least it would be updated :urg:
lol I thought it might start looking like that. I put it up there because I thought you wanted me to in the PM's but ya it shouldn't be there i got it. And ya we don't need another Compendium we just need Undr to come back and up date it. lol

kupo15

Smash Hero
look in the sticky, "Please Read before Posting" It is self explanatory if you watch the video attached to the link

cj.Shark

Smash Ace
one question. is spamming sidestep f/d-smash worth it? i usuakly do alot of thoose combined with tons f arrows but i have problems KOing until 130%+. generally i rack up damagae faster but is it worth it to save them? f-smash does a whopping 19% fresh.. 2good to pass up

CorruptFate

The Corrupted
one question. is spamming sidestep f/d-smash worth it? i usuakly do alot of thoose combined with tons f arrows but i have problems KOing until 130%+. generally i rack up damagae faster but is it worth it to save them? f-smash does a whopping 19% fresh.. 2good to pass up
Mix it up with sidestep down smash as well that way your move doesn't degrade, mindgames, and lets you hit behind you incase they roll. Also at lower % if you get in a sidestep fight I like to us AAA as its faster and less likly that they will punish you for it.

Thx kupo for getting this stickied.

CorruptFate

The Corrupted
I know you!

Both of his reflectors are slow so they may not be the best option anyway, but I use his down b for the basic things like lazers, arrows, ect. ect. it is slightly faster and has super armor on it because of the super armor even if you get hit pulling out the shield it wont stop you so if they are spamming you can still get it off.

The AR (Angel Ring) pushes you forward then pulls out the swords/reflector because of this it closes the gap with you and the projectile faster and most of the time before the reflector comes out causing you to look like an idiot and get hit over and over. The only time I use the AR for reflecting is when I am up against a snake and he uses hit up smash. The AR will hold him in place and reflect his smash attack or a pika using thunder so now it is yours for when it come down on him. The AR is more of an approach then a reflector.

arm

Smash Apprentice
So I was playing Pit, and I tried Z^ (well actually diagonal up, on GC). I slid about a fourth of FD. My question is, is this a known AT? Also, sometimes while dashing, if I C-stick up, I will also slide, all the while attacking. Why is that?

CorruptFate

The Corrupted
Does any1 know where I can find a list of how weak Pits attacks get after they have been fully decayed? Its kind of a pain finding it out for my self on all of them.

kupo15

Smash Hero
arm I dont believe this is a known AT. I never slid that far before. Also, you don't have to use Z, A works just as well btw ^_^

Exia 00

Smash Champion
Quick question ^^'. When is a good time to wing dash ? I can do it pretty well now but i rarely use it because i don't know when its appropriate.

CorruptFate

The Corrupted
I think Sagemoon said it best, but I also like to use it as a quick escape. If you want to know more after reading this look in Kupo's wingdashing thread.

Originally Posted by sagemoon

WingDashing

I don't think you've looked into this tech enough to fully describe a counter argument no offense. You describe it like it should be applied as a wave dash. Which is not how this tech should be used. It does work for spacing, but not nearly the same caliber as a wave dash.

There are other things that make this tech useful though. First off that wind push effect can mess up an aerial approach. Lets take a real situation. My friend who plays Mario is approaching me with nair. He's about to hit me. I can put my shield up and block the attack and then counterattack with f-smash out of shield. However, my friend can auto cancel his nair and jab combo me before i can get an f-smash in. Therefor I'm left having to block everything.

In this same situation. I can also Wingdash slightly backwards as his is at my head level. When i do this, the wind push effect keeps him in the air just a bit and leaves him hanging right there to be punished. I've now set myself up for a perfect opportunity to f-smash him. He can't avoid this and the wind push effect basically gave me a sort of wall to punish him.

Another way of using this is to use it as an approach against a projectile. For this example i will take pikachu. His full jump neutral b is very campy and effective. I could easily just try to mirror the electricity back at him. I don't know if anyone has played a pikachu that does this, but its really not effective and wont stop the pikachu. When you use a mirror shield, you cant follow up after the move. It basically just adding damage (assuming you hit the character) and it normally ends up with an even trade. The mirror shield will leave you vulnerable due to its lag if you pull it out expecting a projectile.(i just realized this was probably not the best hypothetical situation, but you get the idea)

In the same situation, I can wingdash to cancel out this projectile and follow up with a forward smash, or w/e else i want to really. Wingdashing is really good at approaching projectiles, even pits arrow is canceled out with a wing dash. Basically its an effective way to close space while going through a projectile. This does take some timing though, about the same timing as a powershield, maybe with a few extra frames. Powershielding works, but you don't close that gap and cant punish fast enough. With wingdashing you can actually hit your opponent before they get out of their lag time from the projectile.

Finally, wingdashing prevents you from getting grabbed. I find this most helpful against long ranged grabs such as link, or ice climbers (they can combo you up to 70% with a grab you you gotta be cautious). Taking into consideration that you can do this move out of a shield, you can avoid being grabbed if you can predict it right (big if i know..). However there is also times when its obvious that your opponent wants to shield grab you, take that into considerations and you can do some pretty cool stuffs. If your opponent dodges, most the time you can get the down smash off as they come out of the dodge, if they don't dodge early enough, then you push them out of range with wing push.

DarkShadowRage

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkShadowRage
3DS FC
0534-0479-5837
Switch FC
SW-6587-7751-8591
Joke Question: Why does pit have such huge feet?
And why would he wear sandles to battle anyway! getting spikes on your toes would hurt..

DemonicTrilogy

Smash Lord
I still don't understand why you have to do a diagonally directed Up smash while dashing when I could C-stick upward and get the slide..... Is there a concept I'm missing here?!? Whenever I try this new technique, I just jump....

CorruptFate

The Corrupted
I still don't understand why you have to do a diagonally directed Up smash while dashing when I could C-stick upward and get the slide..... Is there a concept I'm missing here?!? Whenever I try this new technique, I just jump....
Don't ask why just do also you want your tap up off for Pit as it helps for controling arrows and will stop your problem

Is approaching with short-hopped bairs a smart move?
not at low % as it degrads your damage.

CorruptFate

The Corrupted
I don't have a vid kupo might but i'll try to explain it. First pracice doing a side step then hold the direction that you arn't facing. You will do a side step and turn around. Once you have that down right as you turn around from the side step hold back the way you were facing, this will slide you along the ground so you can do a f smash or add movement to any attack.

mktrane09

Smash Rookie
hey i was wondering with pits glide toss, how exactly do u do that?? im guessin its different to say diddy or peachs since the slide is soo much longer

Top Bottom