• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Technique for Olimar: Stagepulling

Kyas

Smash Journeyman
I was practicing for a tournament with a friend. He was camping on the ledge as Ivysaur for a while, trying to figure out how to get on the stage safely, when this happened:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXgNzbIaxRU

If it's been discovered before, please don't flame me for trying to share something new. If it hasn't been discovered, then the best name I've come with for it is "Stagepulling." I have not tested with this technique at all yet, so I do not know how many stages it works on, or if it can be achieved with any pikmin color other than yellow.

UPDATE: Okay, after the first testing session, we managed to replicate the stagepull , and these things have been discovered about it:

1. Olimar's distance from the ledge definitely enhances the efficacy of the move. The farther you are from the edge, the farther you pull them under the ledge.
2. Ivysaur is not the only character which can be stagepulled.
3. Blue pikmin have also been used to successfully excecute a stagepull.
4. The best time to excecute a stagepull would seem to be as the target is jumping toward's the stage from below, with approximately a 1/4 to 1/2 character length between themselves and the stage.

While the list of Characters stagepulling works on is dwindling, the discovery has revealed yet another useful piece of information: Olimar can grab an opponent before they even grab the ledge! If the timing of this could be refined, this technique could really boost Oli's ledgeguarding game.

Kabuto Mushi

Smash Journeyman
I was practicing for a trounament with a friend. He was camping on the ledge as Ivysaur for a while, trying to figure out how to get on the stage safely, when this happened:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXgNzbIaxRU

If it's been discovered before, please don't flame me for trying to share something new. If it hasn't been discovered, then the best name I've come with for it is "Stagepulling." I have not tested with this technique at all yet, so I do not know how many stages it works on, or if it can be achieved with any pikmin color other than yellow.
Interesting. Anyone remember the chars Oli can ledge grab?

Kirby-oh

Smash Apprentice
All of Trainer's can be., at least. I don't remember all...

BlackWaltzX

Smash Lord
Works on every character I know of, extremely good against Ike.
This has been done before?? Either way, very good. I haven't seen it done that effectively before I think.

EDIT::
They way you did it is probably how characters float through the bottom of the stage (Just like how you can upair with some characters through the ground).
To see it easily done, go on floating stages (Delfino is the best) and grab someone from below the main platform like jigglypuff.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I knew you could pull people from the ledge, but not this. thanks for sharing!

Olimarman

Smash Ace
Rofl. Very interesting discovery. It probably only works on stages like lylat though , and this may just be a glitch. I'm not sure that this is as reliable as it may seem. It's always worth looking into though, the more ATs the better.

shrinkray21

Smash Ace
for it to be an "advanced tech" it would need to be easily replicated on purpose, I think since your opponent needs to be in a certain place, this really isn't a tech.

shanus

Smash Hero
haha i have a clip of this i was putting in my combo video. It was pretty funny to own ness with it unexpectedly with a purple haha

However, the main difference with mine was it pulled him into the lip of the level (pokemon stadium melee) and made him tumble under it quickly. Pretty epic death

Kyas

Smash Journeyman
for it to be an "advanced tech" it would need to be easily replicated on purpose, I think since your opponent needs to be in a certain place, this really isn't a tech.
Technique (těk-nēk') n.
1. The systematic procedure by which a complex or scientific task is accomplished.

Ad·vanced (ād-vānst') adj.
1. Highly developed or complex.

Good question: if it requires the opponent to be in a certain place, is it really a technique? I suppose that, if your theory is correct, a true technique would be one which works regardless of the position of one's opponent. That means that we haven't even discovered any real techniques for brawl yet! How exciting!

Kyas

Smash Journeyman
haha i have a clip of this i was putting in my combo video. It was pretty funny to own ness with it unexpectedly with a purple haha

However, the main difference with mine was it pulled him into the lip of the level (pokemon stadium melee) and made him tumble under it quickly. Pretty epic death
So it can be done with a purple on pokemon stadium? Could you post the link? I'd be happy to paste it to the OP. Sounds like this discovery could become useful after all!

shrinkray21

Smash Ace
Technique (těk-nēk') n.
1. The systematic procedure by which a complex or scientific task is accomplished.

Ad·vanced (ād-vānst') adj.
1. Highly developed or complex.

Good question: if it requires the opponent to be in a certain place, is it really a technique? I suppose that, if your theory is correct, a true technique would be one which works regardless of the position of one's opponent. That means that we haven't even discovered any real techniques for brawl yet! How exciting!
wow, I just love it when people quote dictionaries when you are using slang from a video game, how very cool of you! Either way, this is an accidental technique, the only way to truly replicate it is to spam the grab on the edge and the only characters it will almost EVER kill are tether characters.

Kyas

Smash Journeyman
wow, I just love it when people quote dictionaries when you are using slang from a video game, how very cool of you! Either way, this is an accidental technique, the only way to truly replicate it is to spam the grab on the edge and the only characters it will almost EVER kill are tether characters.
Thank you for your complements. It's good to hear that you appreciate dedication to accuracy as much as I do, and that you are already scoping out the possibilities of this new technique. Shanus' testimony concerning a KO of Ness on Pokemon Stadium 1 could prove your theory wrong, however. Either way, I'm excited to see how this plays out, and that it will hopefully become useful for all of us.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
2 Things.

First, if you go to Brawl Tactical discussion and read the techniques there, none of them need your opponent to be in any position at all, most of them you could have no opponent and still manage to do them -_-'.

Second, can you Up-Throw out of this? As in, like, Stage Spike them?

shrinkray21

Smash Ace
2 Things.

First, if you go to Brawl Tactical discussion and read the techniques there, none of them need your opponent to be in any position at all, most of them you could have no opponent and still manage to do them -_-'.

no to stage spiking but yes to up throw, you are simply grabbing them, in the video, what happened was the ivysaur broke out of the grab, which would normally send him up at a diagonal angle, but since the ledge was there, it blocked him.

If you would throw them, they would either stay under the ledge, or they would break through and simply throw them.

Rocann

Smash Lord
what I think he's saying is if they're under the stage and you try to upthrow (which is what I would've done if I had been in the situation and wasn't too surprised to do anything) would they get pulled up into the stage on olimar's upswing and get knocked back down, would they actually suffer the upthrow knockback which would be a stagespike, or would they kind of phase through the stage or slide around it for a normal upthrow in front of olimar?

edit: actually looking at the video it seems ivysaur broke out immediately after the grab connected because of the positioning, and if he had a decent recovery or even still had his second jump he could've easily recovered.

shanus

Smash Hero
when i did it, ness immediately broke the grab, but stage lips make the recovery difficult

Mitsuko

Smash Apprentice
Dude, my clan arleady found this out, ok, here's a little better discription. When you grab at the ledge as olimar, you usually grab them from the ledge, (this is a way to keep ike of the ledge, he can't get on if you keep grabbing at the ledge with pikmin) You got the grab on him right before he got to the ledge (you know, the animation where you sundenly jump to the ledge), this made it so the game tought that you could grab him, as on the ledge, so instead, it grabs them, and drags them toward you, but since they never reached the edge, you pull them under the stage. I don't know for sure if you can uthrow out of it, but since it's a glitch, you probably can, the game already thinks you've grabbed him.

Dastardly Dylan

Smash Cadet
Hmm... If someone can go into more detail on how to pull off this technique for me, I would be more than happy. I'm trying to find techniques for Olimar since he is my main Brawler, so can anyone help me out?

shrinkray21

Smash Ace
what I think he's saying is if they're under the stage and you try to upthrow (which is what I would've done if I had been in the situation and wasn't too surprised to do anything) would they get pulled up into the stage on olimar's upswing and get knocked back down, would they actually suffer the upthrow knockback which would be a stagespike, or would they kind of phase through the stage or slide around it for a normal upthrow in front of olimar?

edit: actually looking at the video it seems ivysaur broke out immediately after the grab connected because of the positioning, and if he had a decent recovery or even still had his second jump he could've easily recovered.
No, you will not get the extra knockback - like i said before, he will either glitch through the edge, or he will simply get stuck and it will be the same as he breaks out.

Hmm... If someone can go into more detail on how to pull off this technique for me, I would be more than happy. I'm trying to find techniques for Olimar since he is my main Brawler, so can anyone help me out?
You grab an opponent who is not on the edge where there is a lip - lylat, pk 1...and sometimes they will slide under the edge - you can't "plan" for this - it really just happens when you try to grab someone near the edge.

Kyas

Smash Journeyman
2 Things.

I'm not sure about the stage spike; the release is very fast after a stagepull. I'm still trying to see if I can pull one off.

And could we just leave semantics aside already? I really do mean well, and if I keep at it we could be bickering over what this thing is called rather than, more importantly, if it's of any use to the Olimar community.

Wildside

Smash Rookie
Hmm Intresting..

I just tested it out for myself and I was only able to perform this technique against ivysaur and squirtle :l

I tried MK ike pit rob and dk but none worked? :s

Jadedlink

Smash Apprentice
I did this against Wolf on pokemon stadium 1. I grabbed him when he was on the ledge and pulled him under the stage. After that, he broke from my grab and fell to his death.

Puddin

Smash Lord
Lulz, that's a funny video. First thing I'd like to say is "I believe this is made possible due to the extended reach of yellow pikmin." This is False or Truth? Blue and White have the longest grab range, all Pikmin can grab over the ledge though.

Kyas

Smash Journeyman
Lulz, that's a funny video. First thing I'd like to say is "I believe this is made possible due to the extended reach of yellow pikmin." This is False or Truth? Blue and White have the longest grab range, all Pikmin can grab over the ledge though.
It's false. Blues have also managed to do it. I don't know about whites, and didn't know that whites and blues have the longest grab range. Thanks for that info!

Sudai

Stuff here
Cobra, you're new so I'm going to let you off with a warning.. This thread hadn't had a post for a long *** time, so please don't bump it necessarily.

Fino, don't be a ****. ;P

Dyyne

Smash Ace
You didn't bump it Plasma, cobra did. Are you totally sure blue and white are longer? Those 4 all seem the same to me, and if they are different, then it is negligible.

IcyLight

Smash Lord
hey i remember this post! i actually did this to a snake on ps1 the other day, many lulz. but, i do believe all 4 of them have the same grab range? >< someone needs to clarify if possible, just for spacing reasons.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
white is longer, but blues arent noticeably more than red and yellow. I texted it and if there is a difference it's too short to notice.

Rocann

Smash Lord
Look nobody's sure. I really think that the 4 skinny ones are probably the same. I'll test it out once and for all right now

EDIT: They're all exactly the same. You'll get slight variances because depending on the other character's position in their idle animation, you may or may not grab. I got this to happen with all 4 of the colors multiple times after literally just holding shield and pressing A. I might go like 20 grabs and then all of the sudden grab him (toon link, not like it really matters) and that happened with all 4 of the colors. Of course, purple is shorter.

BlackWaltzX

Smash Lord
Purple and others.
That's it.
If there -is- a dif, it doesn't matter.

Get Hilt to waste a couple hours on it if you need it that much. :D

Top Bottom